|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the 6,190 emigrants whose occupation is listed, only _____________ listed occupations that were considered "gentle."
2. How many ironworks are operating in the colonies at this time?
(a) Over 200.
(b) Over 250.
(c) Over 150.
(d) Over 100.
3. These characteristics are shared with other societies, but is America's way of life unique?
(a) A little.
(c) Not very.
4. On the verge of the Revolution, the American colonies were producing what percentage of the world's iron supply or about 30,000 tons annually?
(a) About one-sixth.
(b) About one-fourth.
(c) About one-fifth.
(d) About one-seventh.
5. In the pre-Revolutionary years, many people emigrated from where?
(a) The European continent.
(d) The British mainland.
Short Answer Questions
1. Can the precise difference between the actual numbers of emigrants and between the Register's totals be established?
2. Why is there a small need for additional workers in this region?
3. What is the result of this collection?
4. The occupations and residences of those emigrating to New York and North Carolina are _____________ the previous colonies.
5. A much smaller percentage was going where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is commonly believed by 1773?
2. What is Bailyn's first impression of British life in the years leading up to the American Revolution?
3. How is the unending demand for labor satisfied?
4. How do most of the emigrants travel? Why?
5. What does the author discover about the gender of the emigrants?
6. From where do people emigrate in the pre-Revolutionary years? To where do they immigrate?
7. What is the age range for emigrants? What is important about this?
8. Why must the official totals be adjusted upward?
9. What is known about most of the families who emigrated?
10. Describe the spreading of the population in the American colonies before the Revolutionary War. What is the significance of this?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)