|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Building in general accounts for much of the recruitment of artisans from where?
(b) North Carolina.
(d) Nova Scotia.
2. What types of groups of emigrants leave steadily over the months for North America?
(d) Very large.
3. Bailyn turns his attention to where the emigrants migrated to in North America. How does he argue that they travel to all the colonies?
(a) They travel to all the colonies in equal amounts.
(b) They often purchase their own vessels for the journey.
(c) They do not travel to all the colonies in equal amounts.
(d) They all take the same few boats.
4. In the provinces, is there mass exodus anywhere in Britain?
(d) In some provinces.
5. By 1765, it was evident that one result of the employment problems in the silk industry would be what?
(a) A small exodus of weavers to the colonies.
(b) A large exodus of weavers to other countries in Europe.
(c) A large exodus of weavers to the colonies.
(d) A large exodus of weavers to other trades.
Short Answer Questions
1. Construction, and in particular what type of building, was also a large industry in the North American colonies?
2. These characteristics are shared with other societies, but is America's way of life unique?
3. The magnitude of these developments was __________________ in these years than they had been in the preceding years.
4. What is commonly believed by 1773?
5. What does Bailyn say about the force of attraction to North America?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is wrong with this survey?
2. What is known about most of the families who emigrated?
3. What does Bailyn say about the families who migrated together?
4. What does Bailyn say about the number of people leaving for North America from December 1773 to March 1776 and those who are not emigrants?
5. How is the unending demand for labor satisfied?
6. How are the provinces different from the urban areas?
7. After skilled artisans such as those trained in construction, what group do the colonists seek?
8. What is the result of the collection of statistical information?
9. Who is John Powell? What does he suggest?
10. How do British officials initially feel about settlement of western lands in America or to emigration from Britain?
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)