|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Do British officials pay much attention at first to the settlement of western lands in America or to emigration from Britain to the colonies?
(a) Yes, a great deal.
(b) Yes, somewhat.
(c) No, not at all.
(d) No, not too much.
2. The occupations and residences of those emigrating to New York and North Carolina are _____________ the previous colonies.
(a) Different from.
(b) The same as.
(c) Better than.
(d) Worse than.
3. Where is the silk industry developed in the late seventeenth century?
(a) Four blocks in West London.
(b) Four blocks in South London.
(c) Four blocks in East London.
(d) Four blocks in North London.
4. Bailyn compares the Register's totals to notices of ships' arrivals in North America and finds what?
(a) The Register's totals account for probably around two-fifths of the total number of British emigrants.
(b) The Register's totals account for probably around three-fifths of the total number of British emigrants.
(c) The Register's totals account for probably around one-fifth of the total number of British emigrants.
(d) The Register's totals account for probably around four-fifths of the total number of British emigrants.
5. What does the Earl of Hillsborough grasp?
(a) The implications of the westward expansion and emigration.
(b) The positive effects expansion has on Great Britain.
(c) The importance of the colonies.
(d) The weaknesses found in the colonies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is the movement to the colonies a patternless roaming?
2. How is the information handled at these sites?
3. After registering, were vessels free to pick up passengers without registering them?
4. What other jobs had also become unstable?
5. Most available for labor are who?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is John Powell? What does he suggest?
2. Who is the Earl of Hillsborough?
3. What is eighteenth century America like?
4. How important is the construction industry at this time?
5. What does Bailyn say about the number of people leaving for North America from December 1773 to March 1776 and those who are not emigrants?
6. What does Bailyn say about the families who migrated together?
7. What does Bailyn say about the vessels traveling to America?
8. What does the author say about how the immigrants arrived in the Americas?
9. From where do people emigrate in the pre-Revolutionary years? To where do they immigrate?
10. What does Bailyn say about where the emigrants migrated the most?
This section contains 1,425 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)