|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By 1765, it was evident that one result of the employment problems in the silk industry would be what?
(a) A large exodus of weavers to other countries in Europe.
(b) A large exodus of weavers to the colonies.
(c) A small exodus of weavers to the colonies.
(d) A large exodus of weavers to other trades.
2. Do those in the colonies have to struggle to maintain the forms of civilized existence that were present elsewhere?
(a) Not much.
(b) A little.
3. Of the 6,190 emigrants whose occupation is listed, only _____________ listed occupations that were considered "gentle."
4. English women emigrants were almost always engaged in what sort of work?
(a) Textile work.
5. It is estimated that for the years 1718 to 1775, how many convicts were banished to the colonies?
Short Answer Questions
1. At this time, most individuals concerned with emigration focused on what?
2. What closes the trans-Appalachian west, except to licensed traders, and created the colonies of Quebec, East and West Florida?
3. Was it new that North America had been seen as a place of refuge?
4. Bailyn compares the Register's totals to notices of ships' arrivals in North America and finds what?
5. In 1753, into what debate does the Earl of Hillsborough enter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is known about correlation between age and where the emigrants migrated?
2. What happens after 1760 and the end of the war in North America?
3. What does Bailyn say about the force of attraction to North America?
4. What is done with the raw data from this collection?
5. How is the unending demand for labor satisfied?
6. What is Bailyn's first impression of British life in the years leading up to the American Revolution?
7. What does Bailyn say about the vessels traveling to America?
8. What does the author discover about the gender of the emigrants?
9. What does Bailyn say about the families who migrated together?
10. What is known about most of the families who emigrated?
This section contains 1,392 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)