|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has long existed in the silk industry?
(a) Many jobs.
(b) Happy employees.
(c) The same weaving techniques.
(d) Labor unrest.
2. In this chapter, what does Bailyn examine?
(a) The areas which experienced labor shortages in North America during this time period.
(b) The areas which experienced labor shortages in Great Britain during this time period.
(c) The areas which have not been experiencing labor shortages in Great Britain.
(d) The areas which have not been experiencing labor shortages in North America.
3. By 1765, it was evident that one result of the employment problems in the silk industry would be what?
(a) A small exodus of weavers to the colonies.
(b) A large exodus of weavers to other trades.
(c) A large exodus of weavers to other countries in Europe.
(d) A large exodus of weavers to the colonies.
4. Why is there a small need for additional workers in this region?
(a) It is mostly unpopulated.
(b) It is not a safe place to live.
(c) It is already producing a surplus population.
(d) It is not growing quickly.
5. Most emigrants traveled ____________.
(a) In pairs.
(b) In groups.
(c) With families.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into where does the population of the colonies spread?
2. Bailyn argues that for the men a picture develops of lower middle and working class men for whom emigration was what?
3. More than half of the migrants to Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Virginia are ____________.
4. Over ___________ of the migrants went to mainland colonies.
5. Most of these vessels listed were probably engaged in commercial voyages and carried passengers for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do most of the emigrants travel? Why?
2. What does Bailyn say about where the emigrants migrated the most?
3. What does Bailyn say about the number of people leaving for North America from December 1773 to March 1776 and those who are not emigrants?
4. What does the author say about how the immigrants arrived in the Americas?
5. What is eighteenth century America like?
6. What happens after 1760 and the end of the war in North America?
7. Describe the spreading of the population in the American colonies before the Revolutionary War. What is the significance of this?
8. What is known about correlation between age and where the emigrants migrated?
9. What are the differences between Hillsborough and lobbyists such as Benjamin Franklin?
10. How are the provinces different from the urban areas?
This section contains 1,328 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)