|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Construction, and in particular what type of building, was also a large industry in the North American colonies?
(a) Business construction.
(c) Wagon building.
2. The overwhelming majority of the individuals emigrating gave their destinations as mainland North American colonies south of where?
(a) North Carolina.
(b) Nova Scotia.
(d) New York.
3. As what do the colonies become known?
(a) A savage land.
(b) A no man's land.
(c) A threat to British power.
(d) A potential gold mine in land values, consumer markets, and so on.
4. Bailyn compares the Register's totals to notices of ships' arrivals in North America and finds what?
(a) The Register's totals account for probably around two-fifths of the total number of British emigrants.
(b) The Register's totals account for probably around one-fifth of the total number of British emigrants.
(c) The Register's totals account for probably around four-fifths of the total number of British emigrants.
(d) The Register's totals account for probably around three-fifths of the total number of British emigrants.
5. Those between what ages typically travel independent of families?
(a) 10 and 15.
(b) 15 and 24.
(c) 18 and 25.
(d) 20 and 30.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the pre-Revolutionary years, many people emigrated from where?
2. Is the movement to the colonies a patternless roaming?
3. Most emigrants traveled ____________.
4. What does the Earl of Hillsborough grasp?
5. Bailyn argues that for the men a picture develops of lower middle and working class men for whom emigration was what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say about how the immigrants arrived in the Americas?
2. What is wrong with this survey?
3. How is the unending demand for labor satisfied?
4. What does Bailyn say about where the emigrants migrated the most?
5. What is commonly believed by 1773?
6. What is done with the raw data from this collection?
7. How do most of the emigrants travel? Why?
8. What is the age range for emigrants? What is important about this?
9. What is Bailyn's first impression of British life in the years leading up to the American Revolution?
10. Who is the Earl of Hillsborough?
This section contains 1,479 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)