|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The emigrants listed in the Register sailed to America in how many different vessels?
2. Do the concerns over the settlement of western lands and emigration from Britain to the colonies play a role in the early efforts of the British government to establish and shape policies on the western lands?
3. The Earl of Hillsborough argues that the colonies are to benefit the kingdom through commerce and the production of goods. What does he think about settling the western lands, regarding this goal?
(a) It makes a lot of sense.
(b) It makes no sense.
(c) It will be difficult to do.
(d) It is a simple solution to achieve this goal.
4. How many ironworks are operating in the colonies at this time?
(a) Over 250.
(b) Over 100.
(c) Over 200.
(d) Over 150.
5. Bailyn turns his attention to where the emigrants migrated to in North America. How does he argue that they travel to all the colonies?
(a) They often purchase their own vessels for the journey.
(b) They all take the same few boats.
(c) They travel to all the colonies in equal amounts.
(d) They do not travel to all the colonies in equal amounts.
Short Answer Questions
1. English women emigrants were almost always engaged in what sort of work?
2. As what do the colonies become known?
3. Eighteenth century America was _____________________________.
4. What is John Tompkyns' job?
5. When does Hillsborough take on the key post of secretary of state for the colonies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the unending demand for labor satisfied?
2. What is done with the raw data from this collection?
3. What happens after 1760 and the end of the war in North America?
4. How are the provinces different from the urban areas?
5. What does Bailyn say about the vessels traveling to America?
6. What is Bailyn's first impression of British life in the years leading up to the American Revolution?
7. Describe the spreading of the population in the American colonies before the Revolutionary War. What is the significance of this?
8. What does the author say about the iron industry?
9. What does Bailyn say about the number of people leaving for North America from December 1773 to March 1776 and those who are not emigrants?
10. How do British officials initially feel about settlement of western lands in America or to emigration from Britain?
This section contains 1,400 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)