|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the verge of the Revolution, the American colonies were producing what percentage of the world's iron supply or about 30,000 tons annually?
(a) About one-seventh.
(b) About one-fifth.
(c) About one-sixth.
(d) About one-fourth.
2. Building craftsman and clothing makers were in high demand where?
(b) New York.
(d) Almost everywhere.
3. What has long existed in the silk industry?
(a) Many jobs.
(b) The same weaving techniques.
(c) Labor unrest.
(d) Happy employees.
4. How is the information handled at these sites?
(a) The same.
(c) Almost the same.
(d) Not well.
5. Most available for labor are who?
(a) Condemned criminals.
(d) Indentured servants.
Short Answer Questions
1. After 1760 and the end of the war in North America, what happens to the colonies?
2. What is Bailyn's first impression of British life in the years leading up to the American Revolution?
3. Do those in the colonies have to struggle to maintain the forms of civilized existence that were present elsewhere?
4. In the pre-Revolutionary days, what is the largest urban center in the western world?
5. What types of groups of emigrants leave steadily over the months for North America?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is John Powell? What does he suggest?
2. How do most of the emigrants travel? Why?
3. What are the differences between Hillsborough and lobbyists such as Benjamin Franklin?
4. What does Bailyn say about the number of people leaving for North America from December 1773 to March 1776 and those who are not emigrants?
5. What does Bailyn say about the vessels traveling to America?
6. What does Bailyn say about the force of attraction to North America?
7. What does Bailyn say about the families who migrated together?
8. Who were the people most available for labor?
9. How important is the construction industry at this time?
10. What is the age range for emigrants? What is important about this?
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)