|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The magnitude of these developments was __________________ in these years than they had been in the preceding years.
(b) The same.
(c) Slightly less.
(d) Less than.
2. When does Hillsborough take on the key post of secretary of state for the colonies?
(a) In 1758.
(b) In 1748.
(c) In 1738.
(d) In 1768.
3. A much smaller percentage was going where?
(a) To Canada and Nova Scotia.
(b) To Mexico and the West Indies.
(c) To North Carolina and New York.
(d) To Canada and the West Indies.
4. What region has only a small need for additional workers?
(c) New England.
(d) The South.
5. _________ of the nuclear families consisted of only a husband and wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bailyn compares the Register's totals to notices of ships' arrivals in North America and finds what?
2. Those between what ages typically travel independent of families?
3. Families migrating together tended to go to New York, North Carolina, and _________.
4. What happens to the bill for which the Earl of Hillsborough fought?
5. In the months that followed, how many emigrants do customs officials interview?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is commonly believed by 1773?
2. What does the author say about the iron industry?
3. Describe the spreading of the population in the American colonies before the Revolutionary War. What is the significance of this?
4. How important is the construction industry at this time?
5. What is wrong with this survey?
6. What does the author discover about the gender of the emigrants?
7. What is known about most of the families who emigrated?
8. After skilled artisans such as those trained in construction, what group do the colonists seek?
9. From where do people emigrate in the pre-Revolutionary years? To where do they immigrate?
10. What is the result of the collection of statistical information?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)