|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information is sometimes estimated by the customs officials?
2. What types of groups of emigrants leave steadily over the months for North America?
(b) Very large.
3. Most of these vessels listed were probably engaged in commercial voyages and carried passengers for what reason?
(a) To help them get to America.
(b) To have enough workers on the ship.
(c) To fill out their cargo and to gain some extra profit.
(d) To break even on their profits.
4. What other jobs had also become unstable?
(b) Agricultural employment.
(c) Communication fields.
(d) Painting employment.
5. The information sent to where is sent directly to the Treasury in London without any editing or summarization?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bailyn's first impression of British life in the years leading up to the American Revolution?
2. Why is the data source that the author mentions incomplete?
3. The flow of individuals into New York and North Carolina seem to form small communities composed largely of _________ working the land.
4. The magnitude of these developments was __________________ in these years than they had been in the preceding years.
5. During this time, there was also an array of lobbyists working for land speculators and western trading interests, led by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do most of the emigrants travel? Why?
2. Why is a network formed between those in Great Britain and those in the American colonies?
3. What is unique about James Hogg's departure for North Carolina?
4. What is done with the raw data from this collection?
5. What does the author say about Nova Scotia in the period before the American Revolution?
6. On what do merchants and their agents rely? Why?
7. Who is James Hogg? What does he try to do? Does he succeed?
8. Who is the Earl of Hillsborough?
9. What is commonly believed by 1773?
10. How is the unending demand for labor satisfied?
This section contains 1,349 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)