|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Earl of Hillsborough argues that the colonies are to benefit the kingdom through commerce and the production of goods. What does he think about settling the western lands, regarding this goal?
(a) It will be difficult to do.
(b) It is a simple solution to achieve this goal.
(c) It makes no sense.
(d) It makes a lot of sense.
2. The emigrants listed in the Register sailed to America in how many different vessels?
3. Bailyn argues that for the men a picture develops of lower middle and working class men for whom emigration was what?
(a) A desperate escape rather than an opportunity to be sought.
(b) Something that they must do for their families.
(c) An opportunity to be sought rather than a desperate escape.
(d) Something exciting to do.
4. More children below the age of ten and more _________________ departed from Scotland.
(a) Women and girls.
(b) Men and girls.
(c) Women and boys.
(d) Men and boys.
5. What information is sometimes estimated by the customs officials?
Short Answer Questions
1. Most of these vessels listed were probably engaged in commercial voyages and carried passengers for what reason?
2. Why does Tompkyns soon hire an extra clerk?
3. How much regard is there for human suffering and rights?
4. Where are most of the ironworks built?
5. Why is there a small need for additional workers in this region?
Short Essay Questions
1. From where do people emigrate in the pre-Revolutionary years? To where do they immigrate?
2. After skilled artisans such as those trained in construction, what group do the colonists seek?
3. How do most of the emigrants travel? Why?
4. How important is the construction industry at this time?
5. What does the author say about the silk industry?
6. How is the unending demand for labor satisfied?
7. What are the differences between Hillsborough and lobbyists such as Benjamin Franklin?
8. What is known about most of the families who emigrated?
9. How do British officials initially feel about settlement of western lands in America or to emigration from Britain?
10. Describe the spreading of the population in the American colonies before the Revolutionary War. What is the significance of this?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)