|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At this time, most individuals concerned with emigration focused on what?
(a) A loss in a sense of nationalism.
(b) Demographic and economic losses.
(c) A sense of fear felt by those who stay in Great Britain.
(d) Personal losses.
2. Of the 8,613 emigrants whose sex was registered, about ____________ are males?
3. Can the precise difference between the actual numbers of emigrants and between the Register's totals be established?
(a) Yes, in a few years.
4. In 1753, into what debate does the Earl of Hillsborough enter?
(a) Whether to create a new nation out of the colonies.
(b) Whether Great Britain should stay in control of the colonies.
(c) Whether to create a national census.
(d) Whether to allow people to emigrate to the colonies.
5. The emigrants listed in the Register sailed to America in how many different vessels?
Short Answer Questions
1. Do British officials pay much attention at first to the settlement of western lands in America or to emigration from Britain to the colonies?
2. The overwhelming majority of the individuals emigrating gave their destinations as mainland North American colonies south of where?
3. This raw data that is collected by English and Scottish port officials is sent where?
4. The information sent to where is sent directly to the Treasury in London without any editing or summarization?
5. What other jobs had also become unstable?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Earl of Hillsborough?
2. How important is the construction industry at this time?
3. How do British officials initially feel about settlement of western lands in America or to emigration from Britain?
4. What is wrong with this survey?
5. What does the author say about how the immigrants arrived in the Americas?
6. What is eighteenth century America like?
7. What does the author say about the silk industry?
8. What does the author say about the iron industry?
9. What does Bailyn say about the number of people leaving for North America from December 1773 to March 1776 and those who are not emigrants?
10. Why must the official totals be adjusted upward?
This section contains 1,471 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)