|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eighteenth century America was _____________________________.
(a) More industrial, urban, and humane than most of Europe.
(b) Much like the British Isles.
(c) Ahead of its time.
(d) Pre-industrial, pre-urban, and pre-humanitarian.
2. The ages of the emigrants tended to concentrate around what ages?
3. What does Bailyn say about what these patterns show about the migration from Britain to America?
(a) A movement that, at times, seems to have a pattern.
(b) A unorganized movement of people.
(c) A discrete and patterned movement of people.
(d) A small amount of movement of people.
4. Building craftsman and clothing makers were in high demand where?
(b) Almost everywhere.
(c) New York.
5. What does Bailyn say about the force of attraction to North America?
(a) It is powerful for British emigrants.
(b) It is a waste of time for British emigrants.
(c) It is attractive to British emigrants.
(d) It is a a necessary evil for British emigrants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does this proclamation aim to slow expansion?
2. The overwhelming majority of the individuals emigrating gave their destinations as mainland North American colonies south of where?
3. What is John Tompkyns' job?
4. After registering, were vessels free to pick up passengers without registering them?
5. What other jobs had also become unstable?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were these new lands divided?
2. How do British officials initially feel about settlement of western lands in America or to emigration from Britain?
3. How are the provinces different from the urban areas?
4. What is Jonas Brown's plan?
5. How are servants paid?
6. What efforts have been made to exploit and populate the coastal lands of Florida and the gulf and river shores of Mississippi and Alabama?
7. Who is James Hogg? What does he try to do? Does he succeed?
8. Why is the location of a servant sale important to buyers?
9. What is done with the raw data from this collection?
10. What does the author say about how the immigrants arrived in the Americas?
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)