|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Most of these vessels listed were probably engaged in commercial voyages and carried passengers for what reason?
(a) To fill out their cargo and to gain some extra profit.
(b) To help them get to America.
(c) To break even on their profits.
(d) To have enough workers on the ship.
2. What other jobs had also become unstable?
(a) Painting employment.
(c) Communication fields.
(d) Agricultural employment.
3. What is commonly believed by 1773?
(a) British emigration was leading to more wealth for those who stayed behind.
(b) British emigration was becoming unpopular.
(c) British emigration was becoming more difficult to do.
(d) British emigration was leading to depopulation in certain areas of the British Isles.
4. What is Bailyn's first impression of British life in the years leading up to the American Revolution?
(a) One of complexity as thousands of people in every region of the country move to ports of exit.
(b) One of complexity as tens of thousands of people in every region in Europe moves to ports of exit.
(c) One of simplicity as only those in England move to London, the port of exit.
(d) One of simplicity as a few hundred people move to London and a few other ports of exit.
5. At certain times, vessels would carry _________ numbers of emigrants.
(b) Very small.
(d) An average.
Short Answer Questions
1. Do British officials pay much attention at first to the settlement of western lands in America or to emigration from Britain to the colonies?
2. Can the precise difference between the actual numbers of emigrants and between the Register's totals be established?
3. Do the concerns over the settlement of western lands and emigration from Britain to the colonies play a role in the early efforts of the British government to establish and shape policies on the western lands?
4. What does Bailyn say about what these patterns show about the migration from Britain to America?
5. The magnitude of these developments was __________________ in these years than they had been in the preceding years.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is eighteenth century America like?
2. What does Bailyn say about where the emigrants migrated the most?
3. What does Bailyn say about the number of people leaving for North America from December 1773 to March 1776 and those who are not emigrants?
4. What is the result of the collection of statistical information?
5. How important is the construction industry at this time?
6. What does the author say about the silk industry?
7. Why must the official totals be adjusted upward?
8. How do most of the emigrants travel? Why?
9. What is the age range for emigrants? What is important about this?
10. How do British officials initially feel about settlement of western lands in America or to emigration from Britain?
This section contains 1,366 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)