|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eighteenth century America was _____________________________.
(a) Pre-industrial, pre-urban, and pre-humanitarian.
(b) Ahead of its time.
(c) Much like the British Isles.
(d) More industrial, urban, and humane than most of Europe.
2. Is the movement to the colonies a patternless roaming?
(c) At first.
3. By 1775, it is estimated that one in every ____________ of the people in this city was a servant.
4. What is commonly believed by 1773?
(a) British emigration was becoming more difficult to do.
(b) British emigration was leading to depopulation in certain areas of the British Isles.
(c) British emigration was leading to more wealth for those who stayed behind.
(d) British emigration was becoming unpopular.
5. Over ___________ of the migrants went to mainland colonies.
(a) Ten percent.
(b) Fifty percent.
(c) Twenty-five percent.
(d) Eighty percent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are most of the ironworks built?
2. Of the 8,613 emigrants whose sex was registered, about ____________ are males?
3. More children below the age of ten and more _________________ departed from Scotland.
4. Migrants to Nova Scotia tended to be similar to those going to New York and North Carolina while those migrating to the West Indies tended to be similar to those migrating to which colonies?
5. How much regard is there for human suffering and rights?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bailyn say about the vessels traveling to America?
2. What is commonly believed by 1773?
3. How do most of the emigrants travel? Why?
4. Describe the spreading of the population in the American colonies before the Revolutionary War. What is the significance of this?
5. What is known about correlation between age and where the emigrants migrated?
6. After skilled artisans such as those trained in construction, what group do the colonists seek?
7. What is done with the raw data from this collection?
8. What does the author say about the silk industry?
9. What are the differences between Hillsborough and lobbyists such as Benjamin Franklin?
10. What does the author say about the iron industry?
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)