|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The occupations and residences of those emigrating to New York and North Carolina are _____________ the previous colonies.
(a) Better than.
(b) Worse than.
(c) The same as.
(d) Different from.
2. Do the concerns over the settlement of western lands and emigration from Britain to the colonies play a role in the early efforts of the British government to establish and shape policies on the western lands?
3. What is commonly believed by 1773?
(a) British emigration was leading to depopulation in certain areas of the British Isles.
(b) British emigration was becoming unpopular.
(c) British emigration was leading to more wealth for those who stayed behind.
(d) British emigration was becoming more difficult to do.
4. By 1775, it is estimated that one in every ____________ of the people in this city was a servant.
5. By 1765, it was evident that one result of the employment problems in the silk industry would be what?
(a) A large exodus of weavers to other trades.
(b) A large exodus of weavers to the colonies.
(c) A small exodus of weavers to the colonies.
(d) A large exodus of weavers to other countries in Europe.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the provinces, is there mass exodus anywhere in Britain?
2. This raw data that is collected by English and Scottish port officials is sent where?
3. Who provided much of the unskilled labor, particularly in the South, for the ironworks?
4. Do there appear to be concentrations of indentured servants in particular occupations settling in certain colonies?
5. In what kind of world do these people live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about James Hogg's departure for North Carolina?
2. Why is the location of a servant sale important to sellers?
3. Who is James Hogg? What does he try to do? Does he succeed?
4. When did the first settler begin arriving in the new British territory? What information does the author give about this?
5. Why is the location of a servant sale important to buyers?
6. What takes place in the early 1760s?
7. From where do people emigrate in the pre-Revolutionary years? To where do they immigrate?
8. What happens after 1760 and the end of the war in North America?
9. What is extraordinary about the cases that have been examined?
10. How are the provinces different from the urban areas?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)