|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The flow of individuals into New York and North Carolina seem to form small communities composed largely of _________ working the land.
2. Eighteenth century America was _____________________________.
(a) More industrial, urban, and humane than most of Europe.
(b) Ahead of its time.
(c) Pre-industrial, pre-urban, and pre-humanitarian.
(d) Much like the British Isles.
3. After registering, were vessels free to pick up passengers without registering them?
(a) Only ten passengers.
4. What does Bailyn say about what these patterns show about the migration from Britain to America?
(a) A unorganized movement of people.
(b) A discrete and patterned movement of people.
(c) A small amount of movement of people.
(d) A movement that, at times, seems to have a pattern.
5. Most available for labor are who?
(a) Condemned criminals.
(b) Indentured servants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bailyn turns his attention to where the emigrants migrated to in North America. How does he argue that they travel to all the colonies?
2. The emigrants listed in the Register sailed to America in how many different vessels?
3. The largest occupation category is what?
4. Those between what ages typically travel independent of families?
5. At certain times, vessels would carry _________ numbers of emigrants.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after 1760 and the end of the war in North America?
2. Who is John Powell? What does he suggest?
3. How do British officials initially feel about settlement of western lands in America or to emigration from Britain?
4. What is commonly believed by 1773?
5. How important is the construction industry at this time?
6. What does the author say about the silk industry?
7. What is known about correlation between age and where the emigrants migrated?
8. What is done with the raw data from this collection?
9. What is eighteenth century America like?
10. What does Bailyn say about where the emigrants migrated the most?
This section contains 1,376 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)