|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is also increasing between industries?
(d) Employee swapping.
2. More children below the age of ten and more _________________ departed from Scotland.
(a) Men and girls.
(b) Women and girls.
(c) Women and boys.
(d) Men and boys.
3. Where are deliberately organized emigrant vessels more common?
(a) In Southern English and French ports.
(b) In Northern English and Northern Irish ports.
(c) In Northern English and Scottish ports.
(d) In Southern English and Irish ports.
4. The magnitude of these developments was __________________ in these years than they had been in the preceding years.
(b) Less than.
(c) Slightly less.
(d) The same.
5. The Earl of Hillsborough argues that the colonies are to benefit the kingdom through commerce and the production of goods. What does he think about settling the western lands, regarding this goal?
(a) It makes a lot of sense.
(b) It will be difficult to do.
(c) It is a simple solution to achieve this goal.
(d) It makes no sense.
Short Answer Questions
1. The English migrants most often went to Pennsylvania, Maryland and ________.
2. Building craftsman and clothing makers were in high demand where?
3. What has long existed in the silk industry?
4. By 1775, it is estimated that one in every ____________ of the people in this city was a servant.
5. What region has only a small need for additional workers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bailyn say about the families who migrated together?
2. What does the author say about how the immigrants arrived in the Americas?
3. How do most of the emigrants travel? Why?
4. What is the age range for emigrants? What is important about this?
5. From where do people emigrate in the pre-Revolutionary years? To where do they immigrate?
6. What does the author say about the silk industry?
7. Who were the people most available for labor?
8. How do British officials initially feel about settlement of western lands in America or to emigration from Britain?
9. Describe the spreading of the population in the American colonies before the Revolutionary War. What is the significance of this?
10. How are the provinces different from the urban areas?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)