|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the provinces, is there mass exodus anywhere in Britain?
(a) In some provinces.
2. Most emigrants traveled ____________.
(a) With families.
(b) In groups.
(d) In pairs.
3. Construction, and in particular what type of building, was also a large industry in the North American colonies?
(a) Business construction.
(d) Wagon building.
4. _________ of the nuclear families consisted of only a husband and wife.
5. How is this concentration of ages markedly different from the overall percentage of British citizens and from the population of the American colonies?
(a) Over half of the free population was over the age of 40.
(b) Over half of the free population was over the age of 21.
(c) Over half of the free population was under the age of 10.
(d) Over half of the free population was under the age of 21.
Short Answer Questions
1. The magnitude of these developments was __________________ in these years than they had been in the preceding years.
2. In the months that followed, how many emigrants do customs officials interview?
3. To where do they immigrate?
4. Most of these vessels listed were probably engaged in commercial voyages and carried passengers for what reason?
5. What is Bailyn's first impression of British life in the years leading up to the American Revolution?
Short Essay Questions
1. From where do people emigrate in the pre-Revolutionary years? To where do they immigrate?
2. How do British officials initially feel about settlement of western lands in America or to emigration from Britain?
3. What does the author say about how the immigrants arrived in the Americas?
4. What is known about correlation between age and where the emigrants migrated?
5. Who were the people most available for labor?
6. What is Bailyn's first impression of British life in the years leading up to the American Revolution?
7. What is the result of the collection of statistical information?
8. What does Bailyn say about the families who migrated together?
9. What does Bailyn say about the vessels traveling to America?
10. What does the author discover about the gender of the emigrants?
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)