|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many departures does the Register show for West Florida between 1773 and 1776?
2. After ten years, what would happen to any land not populated?
(a) It would become the land of the Native Americans.
(b) It would become the land of Spain.
(c) It would revert back to the crown.
(d) It would revert back to the land speculator.
3. Brown, his son, Thomas, and James Gordon embarked on what?
(a) A sheme to open a pottery factory in North Carolina.
(b) A scheme to settle the Ceded Lands.
(c) A scheme to purchase their own colony.
(d) A scheme to settle swamp land in Florida.
4. What is surprising about the expeditions previously mentioned?
(a) The settlers were surprisingly wealthy.
(b) The settlers were surprisingly prepared for colony life.
(c) The expeditions were surprisingly successful.
(d) The surviving records are surprisingly complete.
5. What is the most common form of payment?
(b) Bills of exchange.
(c) Trade in goods.
6. What did the British do this to these settlers?
(a) The British desired to repopulate the colony with politically reliable Protestants.
(b) The British desire their culture to be the most important.
(c) The British want to rid the colony of these strange people.
(d) The British want everyone to speak the same language.
7. In the period before the American Revolution, what is the northeastern most point in the arc of borderlands in the outer boundaries of British communities in North America?
(b) New York.
(c) Nova Scotia.
8. There are successes in land speculation and, as more British become aware of the opportunities, what happens?
(a) Certification programs become available to become speculators.
(b) More entrepreneurs try to put together ventures.
(c) Many people want help from these speculators.
(d) The small group of entrepreneurs make money.
9. What society was made up on 40 to 50 merchants, noblemen, and entrepreneurs who wanted to develop new properties in America?
(a) The West Florida Society.
(b) The East Florida Society.
(c) The Mississippi Society.
(d) The Alabaman Society.
10. When Britain took over Nova Scotia, what did it do with the settlers there?
(a) They taught them English.
(b) They deported the entire Acadian population to various points south.
(c) They forced their culture on them.
(d) The imprisoned them.
11. What is Jonas Brown's main business?
(a) The production and sale of pottery.
(b) Land speculation.
(c) The production and sale of alum.
(d) Organizing emigration groups.
12. What does the Register bring into focus?
(a) The large town of London.
(b) The small urban town of Edinburgh.
(c) The small fishing village of Whitby on the North Sea coast of Yorkshire.
(d) The seaside resort of Glassgow.
13. Where do these first settlers go?
(a) The fertile upper valley of the Tombigbee and Alabama rivers.
(b) The sandy beaches along the Atlantic.
(c) The fertile land around Lake Okeechobee.
(d) The swampland found along what is now called Aligator Alley.
14. While Inglis was preparing the vessel and ordering supplies, Hogg was busy doing what?
(a) Planning his life in America.
(b) Buying supplies for the trip.
(c) Selecting passengers.
(d) Planning the trip.
15. What is one way that West Florida differs from East Florida?
(a) The colony is adjacent to Spain's territory of the trans-Mississippi west.
(b) The colony is adjacent to France's territory of the trans-Mississippi west.
(c) The colony is adjacent to Portugal's territory of the trans-Mississippi west.
(d) The colony is adjacent to Italy's territory of the trans-Mississippi west.
Short Answer Questions
1. One part of this network is ______________ later called register offices.
2. Not only was the demand for labor high in the colonies, but there was a potentially plentiful supply of labor where?
3. How long had the connection between the Highlands and North Carolina been in place?
4. What accounts for a major part of the migration to North America in the Register?
5. Where is a new British naval base and provincial capital built?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)