|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jonas Brown's main business?
(a) Organizing emigration groups.
(b) Land speculation.
(c) The production and sale of alum.
(d) The production and sale of pottery.
2. The number of emigrants was increased from 100 to a minimum of what?
3. The first settlers into the new British territory began in what year?
4. All those who voyaged to the American colonies were what?
(b) Risk takers.
5. After ten years, what would happen to any land not populated?
(a) It would revert back to the crown.
(b) It would become the land of Spain.
(c) It would become the land of the Native Americans.
(d) It would revert back to the land speculator.
6. How long had the connection between the Highlands and North Carolina been in place?
(a) Almost a century.
(b) Almost a quarter of a century.
(c) Almost a decade.
(d) Almost half a century.
7. To find the types of workers that were needed, merchants and their agents relied on public notifications. What are important focuses of these notifications?
(a) Opera houses.
(c) Theatrical houses.
(d) Public houses.
8. The Register documents how many emigrant voyages from this village, containing 155 emigrants, in total?
9. What did the British do this to these settlers?
(a) The British desire their culture to be the most important.
(b) The British want everyone to speak the same language.
(c) The British want to rid the colony of these strange people.
(d) The British desired to repopulate the colony with politically reliable Protestants.
10. What area proved to be most attractive to land speculators and investors?
(a) West Florida.
(b) East Florida.
11. In the years before the Revolution, there were at least thirty-eight colonial merchant firms dealing in what nationality of servants?
12. One part of this network is ______________ later called register offices.
(a) Smart offices.
(b) Registrar offices.
(c) Intellectual offices.
(d) Intelligence offices.
13. What other location would sellers avoid?
(a) Places that are difficult for buyers to get to.
(b) Places that are too far inland.
(c) Places that make the servants uncomfortable.
(d) Places that are too close to the water.
14. What does Brown's advertisement state?
(a) The ship would sail from London to North Carolina on August 1, 1774 and would take anyone wishing to settle in this area.
(b) The ship would sail from Glassgow to North Carolina on August 1, 1774 and would take anyone wishing to settle in this area.
(c) The ship would sail from Whitby to Georgia on August 1, 1774 and would take anyone wishing to settle in this area.
(d) The ship would sail from Edinburgh to Georgia on August 1, 1774 and would take anyone wishing to settle in this area.
15. Later investigations of West Florida would show what?
(a) The dangerous swampland.
(b) The rich delta lands.
(c) The sandy and infertile beaches.
(d) The wooded forests.
Short Answer Questions
1. This colony and the adjacent islands totaled over how many square miles and had a population of less than 18,000 in early 1774?
2. Describe the Gulf shore.
3. What is the most common form of payment?
4. The managers often fleeced applicants and sometimes did what to poor women?
5. Why might land speculators not be interested in this land?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)