|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Maps were needed for the new territory. Who is appointed in the north?
(a) Seth Hammond.
(b) Gerry De Vane.
(c) Gerard De Brahm.
(d) Samuel Holland.
2. Where are the servants and convicts brought to be inspected by potential buyers?
(a) In court rooms.
(b) Up on deck.
(c) In private homes.
(d) In public houses.
3. Where is a new British naval base and provincial capital built?
(a) At Halifax.
(b) At Boston.
(c) At Vermont.
(d) At Quebec.
4. Why is this a positive aspect about West Florida?
(a) The established Spanish settlers may be willing to come into British territory to help settle the new province.
(b) The established Portuguese settlers may be willing to come into British territory to help settle the new province.
(c) The established Italian settlers may be willing to come into British territory to help settle the new province.
(d) The established French settlers may be willing to come into British territory to help settle the new province.
5. What location would sellers avoid for holding sales?
(a) Places where other ships had recently arrived.
(b) Places that are too open to the elements.
(c) Places that are too windy.
(d) Places that cost a price.
6. What society was made up on 40 to 50 merchants, noblemen, and entrepreneurs who wanted to develop new properties in America?
(a) The Mississippi Society.
(b) The Alabaman Society.
(c) The East Florida Society.
(d) The West Florida Society.
7. How many departures does the Register show for West Florida between 1773 and 1776?
8. What are unscrupulous recruiters called?
9. In 1763, when almost all of the land east of the Mississippi River became the territory of what nation?
(c) Great Britain.
10. The beginning steps of opening the land to settlement are _________.
11. What is the most valuable form of payment for a servant?
(a) Trade goods.
(b) Dollar bills.
(d) Bills of exchange payable on demand from well-known and financially stable British firms.
12. The beginning point for this migration was where?
(a) The port of Boston.
(b) The port of Maine.
(c) The port of New York.
(d) The port of Albany.
13. What does Hogg decide about the prospective emigrants?
(a) They had to be very wealthy.
(b) They had to be Scottish.
(c) They had to be related to him.
(d) They had to be disease free, be of good character, and be able to pay their freight with extra for accidents.
14. Is large-scale land speculation new in North America?
15. From the buyer's side, the longer he delayed the more likely what would happen?
(a) The prices would stay the same.
(b) The prices would fall.
(c) The seller would get annoyed.
(d) The prices would rise.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps James Hogg by arranging to have a vessel sent north to transport James and his family?
2. When these recruiters confronted the victims about their debt, what choices are they given?
3. In 1772, what does De Brahm present to the King?
4. What is unique about James Hogg's departure for America?
5. The first settlers into the new British territory began in what year?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)