|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what are buyers looking?
(a) The youngest and most attractive servants.
(b) The healthiest, most skilled at the lowest price for the longest commitment time.
(c) The healthiest and hardest working servants.
(d) The servants with the most experience.
2. In the period before the American Revolution, what is the northeastern most point in the arc of borderlands in the outer boundaries of British communities in North America?
(a) New York.
(d) Nova Scotia.
3. All those who voyaged to the American colonies were what?
(b) Risk takers.
4. People came from all over the colonies to settle in West Florida, particularly from what region?
(a) Western South Carolina.
(b) Eastern South Carolina.
(c) Eastern North Carolina.
(d) Western North Carolina.
5. At a minimum, how many immigrants arrived in New York from Britain in the two years before the war and it is likely that another 1,300 also arrived?
6. Who had provided what little information was known about this area from experience in the battles with the Spanish?
(a) Military leaders.
(b) Land speculators.
(c) Spanish settlers.
(d) Spanish politicians.
7. 16 of these ships came from England and how many came from Scotland?
8. What is happening by 1770?
(a) A small, steady flow of people is moving into the province.
(b) A large, steady flow of people is moving into the province.
(c) A small, irregular flow of people is moving into the province.
(d) A large, somewhat uncontrolled flow of people is moving into the province.
9. The lawlessness and danger of the Highlands convinced Hogg to do what?
(a) Move to an urban area.
(b) Look for another place to live.
(c) Become a stronger person.
(d) Move to the Lowlands.
10. How many departures does the Register show for West Florida between 1773 and 1776?
11. What is Jonas Brown's main business?
(a) Land speculation.
(b) Organizing emigration groups.
(c) The production and sale of pottery.
(d) The production and sale of alum.
12. While Inglis was preparing the vessel and ordering supplies, Hogg was busy doing what?
(a) Planning the trip.
(b) Selecting passengers.
(c) Buying supplies for the trip.
(d) Planning his life in America.
13. Archibald Menzies decides that he had found the perfect race of people to populate Florida. What race is this?
(a) The Italians.
(b) The Greeks.
(c) The Turks.
(d) The Hungarians.
14. When do the first of these offices appear?
(a) In the sixteenth century.
(b) In the seventeenth century.
(c) In the eighteenth century.
(d) In the fifteenth century.
15. What did the British do this to these settlers?
(a) The British desired to repopulate the colony with politically reliable Protestants.
(b) The British want to rid the colony of these strange people.
(c) The British want everyone to speak the same language.
(d) The British desire their culture to be the most important.
Short Answer Questions
1. After ten years, what would happen to any land not populated?
2. Efforts are being made to exploit and populate the coastal lands of what states?
3. What do these unscrupulous recruiters do to impoverished victims?
4. Why might land speculators not be interested in this land?
5. What is unique about James Hogg's departure for America?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)