|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do the first of these offices appear?
(a) In the seventeenth century.
(b) In the eighteenth century.
(c) In the sixteenth century.
(d) In the fifteenth century.
2. Maps were needed for the new territory. Who is appointed in the north?
(a) Samuel Holland.
(b) Gerard De Brahm.
(c) Gerry De Vane.
(d) Seth Hammond.
3. At almost any time during the spring and fall months, what happens to indentured servants' labor?
(a) It is sold prior to boarding a vessel for the colonies.
(b) It is sold on board the newly arrived vessels in the ports south of New England.
(c) It is sold in private homes.
(d) It is sold in public houses.
4. In the period before the American Revolution, what is the northeastern most point in the arc of borderlands in the outer boundaries of British communities in North America?
(a) New York.
(d) Nova Scotia.
5. Archibald Menzies decides that he had found the perfect race of people to populate Florida. What race is this?
(a) The Turks.
(b) The Hungarians.
(c) The Greeks.
(d) The Italians.
6. What is the name of the vessel used in all voyages from this village?
(a) The Marlborough.
(b) The Lucia.
(c) The Edinburgh.
(d) The Queen Mother.
7. From where is James Hogg?
(a) East Lothian in the Scottish Highlands.
(b) East Lothian in the Scottish Lowlands.
(c) Edinburgh in Scottland.
(d) Dublin in Ireland.
8. What is surprising about the expeditions previously mentioned?
(a) The settlers were surprisingly wealthy.
(b) The settlers were surprisingly prepared for colony life.
(c) The surviving records are surprisingly complete.
(d) The expeditions were surprisingly successful.
9. Detailed records connected to the Register are __________.
(a) Somewhat unusual.
(c) In abundance.
10. In the years before the Revolution, there were at least thirty-eight colonial merchant firms dealing in what nationality of servants?
11. The lawlessness and danger of the Highlands convinced Hogg to do what?
(a) Become a stronger person.
(b) Look for another place to live.
(c) Move to the Lowlands.
(d) Move to an urban area.
12. Why might land speculators not be interested in this land?
(a) It is hot and treacherous.
(b) It is far from the other colonies.
(c) It is dangerous.
(d) It is obscure and unglamorous.
13. People came from all over the colonies to settle in West Florida, particularly from what region?
(a) Eastern South Carolina.
(b) Eastern North Carolina.
(c) Western South Carolina.
(d) Western North Carolina.
14. Where does James Hogg try to settle 200 Scottish Highlanders?
(a) In the backcountry of New York.
(b) In the backcountry of South Carolina.
(c) In the backcountry of Virginia.
(d) In the backcountry of North Carolina.
15. How would the seller wait when the buyers surveyed the servants?
Short Answer Questions
1. How might garrisons and roads be created?
2. What is happening by 1770?
3. Who is appointed in the south to create a map?
4. When is there a wild land boom in Nova Scotia?
5. How long had the connection between the Highlands and North Carolina been in place?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)