|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first settlers into the new British territory began in what year?
2. What did the British do this to these settlers?
(a) The British desired to repopulate the colony with politically reliable Protestants.
(b) The British desire their culture to be the most important.
(c) The British want everyone to speak the same language.
(d) The British want to rid the colony of these strange people.
3. What is Jonas Brown's main business?
(a) Organizing emigration groups.
(b) Land speculation.
(c) The production and sale of alum.
(d) The production and sale of pottery.
4. What does Hogg decide about the prospective emigrants?
(a) They had to be Scottish.
(b) They had to be disease free, be of good character, and be able to pay their freight with extra for accidents.
(c) They had to be related to him.
(d) They had to be very wealthy.
5. The population of this colony and surrounding islands, although small, is what?
(a) Ethnically typical of other colonies.
(b) Mostly French.
(c) Mostly Micmac.
(d) Ethnically diverse.
6. The beginning steps of opening the land to settlement are _________.
7. What is unique about James Hogg's departure for America?
(a) His trip is very simple.
(b) The records that survived.
(c) His trip is very organized.
(d) The records were almost completely destroyed.
8. What is happening by 1770?
(a) A large, steady flow of people is moving into the province.
(b) A small, irregular flow of people is moving into the province.
(c) A small, steady flow of people is moving into the province.
(d) A large, somewhat uncontrolled flow of people is moving into the province.
9. In the years before the Revolution, there were at least thirty-eight colonial merchant firms dealing in what nationality of servants?
10. Grants that are given are revocable unless _____________ of the land was populated within three years with one person for every hundred acres.
11. All those who voyaged to the American colonies were what?
(b) Risk takers.
12. Where does James Hogg try to settle 200 Scottish Highlanders?
(a) In the backcountry of North Carolina.
(b) In the backcountry of South Carolina.
(c) In the backcountry of New York.
(d) In the backcountry of Virginia.
13. How might garrisons and roads be created?
(a) The Spanish government is more likely to invest in these building projects.
(b) The Portuguese government is more likely to invest in these building projects.
(c) The French government is more likely to invest in these building projects.
(d) The Italian government is more likely to invest in these building projects.
14. What accounts for a major part of the migration to North America in the Register?
(a) The lack of labor available after 1760.
(b) The demand for labor before 1760.
(c) The lack of need for labor after 1760.
(d) The demand for labor after 1760.
15. Maps were needed for the new territory. Who is appointed in the north?
(a) Gerry De Vane.
(b) Seth Hammond.
(c) Gerard De Brahm.
(d) Samuel Holland.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the period before the American Revolution, what is the northeastern most point in the arc of borderlands in the outer boundaries of British communities in North America?
2. The managers often fleeced applicants and sometimes did what to poor women?
3. Where do these first settlers go?
4. Archibald Menzies decides that he had found the perfect race of people to populate Florida. What race is this?
5. Who helps James Hogg by arranging to have a vessel sent north to transport James and his family?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)