|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This colony and the adjacent islands totaled over how many square miles and had a population of less than 18,000 in early 1774?
2. From the buyer's side, the longer he delayed the more likely what would happen?
(a) The prices would rise.
(b) The seller would get annoyed.
(c) The prices would stay the same.
(d) The prices would fall.
3. What is Jonas Brown's main business?
(a) The production and sale of alum.
(b) Organizing emigration groups.
(c) Land speculation.
(d) The production and sale of pottery.
4. What does the Register also record?
(a) The movement of individuals traveling to different parts of the colonies.
(b) The movement of families traveling to different parts of the colonies.
(c) The movement of families traveling to specific colonies.
(d) The movement of individuals traveling to specific colonies.
5. When is there a wild land boom in Nova Scotia?
(a) The mid-Sixties.
(b) The mid-Fifties.
(c) The mid-Thirties.
(d) The mid-Forties.
6. The number of emigrants was increased from 100 to a minimum of what?
7. While Inglis was preparing the vessel and ordering supplies, Hogg was busy doing what?
(a) Selecting passengers.
(b) Planning his life in America.
(c) Planning the trip.
(d) Buying supplies for the trip.
8. Detailed records connected to the Register are __________.
(b) In abundance.
(c) Somewhat unusual.
9. Not only was the demand for labor high in the colonies, but there was a potentially plentiful supply of labor where?
(d) In the British Isles.
10. For what are buyers looking?
(a) The servants with the most experience.
(b) The healthiest and hardest working servants.
(c) The youngest and most attractive servants.
(d) The healthiest, most skilled at the lowest price for the longest commitment time.
11. Where does James Hogg try to settle 200 Scottish Highlanders?
(a) In the backcountry of North Carolina.
(b) In the backcountry of South Carolina.
(c) In the backcountry of New York.
(d) In the backcountry of Virginia.
12. Why might land speculators not be interested in this land?
(a) It is obscure and unglamorous.
(b) It is dangerous.
(c) It is far from the other colonies.
(d) It is hot and treacherous.
13. What accounts for a major part of the migration to North America in the Register?
(a) The lack of need for labor after 1760.
(b) The lack of labor available after 1760.
(c) The demand for labor after 1760.
(d) The demand for labor before 1760.
14. Grants that are given are revocable unless _____________ of the land was populated within three years with one person for every hundred acres.
15. The beginning point for this migration was where?
(a) The port of New York.
(b) The port of Albany.
(c) The port of Boston.
(d) The port of Maine.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would the seller wait when the buyers surveyed the servants?
2. What society was made up on 40 to 50 merchants, noblemen, and entrepreneurs who wanted to develop new properties in America?
3. People came from all over the colonies to settle in West Florida, particularly from what region?
4. Besides not making money quickly, why else does a seller not want the "goods" to remain in his care?
5. What does Brown's advertisement state?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)