|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Describe the Gulf shore.
(a) Mineral rich soil and fertile.
(b) Sandy, yet fertile.
(c) Sandy and infertile.
(d) Wooded and hilly.
2. In 1772, what does De Brahm present to the King?
(a) A huge map.
(b) A large sum of money.
(c) A special dinner.
(d) A present.
3. When Britain took over Nova Scotia, what did it do with the settlers there?
(a) They forced their culture on them.
(b) The imprisoned them.
(c) They deported the entire Acadian population to various points south.
(d) They taught them English.
4. Brown, his son, Thomas, and James Gordon embarked on what?
(a) A scheme to purchase their own colony.
(b) A scheme to settle swamp land in Florida.
(c) A scheme to settle the Ceded Lands.
(d) A sheme to open a pottery factory in North Carolina.
5. After ten years, what would happen to any land not populated?
(a) It would become the land of the Native Americans.
(b) It would revert back to the land speculator.
(c) It would revert back to the crown.
(d) It would become the land of Spain.
6. The number of emigrants was increased from 100 to a minimum of what?
7. Where is a new British naval base and provincial capital built?
(a) At Halifax.
(b) At Vermont.
(c) At Boston.
(d) At Quebec.
8. For what are buyers looking?
(a) The servants with the most experience.
(b) The youngest and most attractive servants.
(c) The healthiest, most skilled at the lowest price for the longest commitment time.
(d) The healthiest and hardest working servants.
9. Where does James Hogg try to settle 200 Scottish Highlanders?
(a) In the backcountry of North Carolina.
(b) In the backcountry of South Carolina.
(c) In the backcountry of Virginia.
(d) In the backcountry of New York.
10. Why might land speculators not be interested in this land?
(a) It is far from the other colonies.
(b) It is obscure and unglamorous.
(c) It is dangerous.
(d) It is hot and treacherous.
11. While Inglis was preparing the vessel and ordering supplies, Hogg was busy doing what?
(a) Selecting passengers.
(b) Planning the trip.
(c) Buying supplies for the trip.
(d) Planning his life in America.
12. What society was made up on 40 to 50 merchants, noblemen, and entrepreneurs who wanted to develop new properties in America?
(a) The East Florida Society.
(b) The West Florida Society.
(c) The Alabaman Society.
(d) The Mississippi Society.
13. How else are notices circulated?
(a) Via magazines.
(b) Via newspapers and circulating handbills.
(c) Via billboards.
(d) Via posters.
14. From where is James Hogg?
(a) East Lothian in the Scottish Lowlands.
(b) Edinburgh in Scottland.
(c) Dublin in Ireland.
(d) East Lothian in the Scottish Highlands.
15. When these recruiters confronted the victims about their debt, what choices are they given?
(a) Debtors' prison or servitude.
(b) Servitude or slavery.
(c) Death or servitude.
(d) Death or debtors' prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who probably convinced James Hogg to lead and organize a group of emigrants?
2. The Register documents how many emigrant voyages from this village, containing 155 emigrants, in total?
3. To find the types of workers that were needed, merchants and their agents relied on public notifications. What are important focuses of these notifications?
4. How many departures does the Register show for West Florida between 1773 and 1776?
5. The managers often fleeced applicants and sometimes did what to poor women?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)