|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Register also record?
(a) The movement of individuals traveling to different parts of the colonies.
(b) The movement of individuals traveling to specific colonies.
(c) The movement of families traveling to different parts of the colonies.
(d) The movement of families traveling to specific colonies.
2. What is unique about James Hogg's departure for America?
(a) His trip is very simple.
(b) His trip is very organized.
(c) The records were almost completely destroyed.
(d) The records that survived.
3. What does the Register bring into focus?
(a) The small urban town of Edinburgh.
(b) The small fishing village of Whitby on the North Sea coast of Yorkshire.
(c) The large town of London.
(d) The seaside resort of Glassgow.
4. During the years in question, how many huge areas of land were claimed by the colony of New York and were opened to settlement?
5. The first settlers into the new British territory began in what year?
6. When do the first of these offices appear?
(a) In the eighteenth century.
(b) In the seventeenth century.
(c) In the fifteenth century.
(d) In the sixteenth century.
7. Where do these first settlers go?
(a) The sandy beaches along the Atlantic.
(b) The fertile land around Lake Okeechobee.
(c) The swampland found along what is now called Aligator Alley.
(d) The fertile upper valley of the Tombigbee and Alabama rivers.
8. What are unscrupulous recruiters called?
9. What is happening by 1770?
(a) A large, somewhat uncontrolled flow of people is moving into the province.
(b) A small, irregular flow of people is moving into the province.
(c) A large, steady flow of people is moving into the province.
(d) A small, steady flow of people is moving into the province.
10. Who helps James Hogg by arranging to have a vessel sent north to transport James and his family?
(a) His brother, Robert Hogg.
(b) His father, Roger Hogg.
(c) His cousin, Robert Hogg.
(d) His sister, Roberta Hogg.
11. Efforts are being made to exploit and populate the coastal lands of what states?
(a) Florida, Mississippi and Alabama.
(b) North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia.
(c) Maine, Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
(d) New York, Delaware and Maryland.
12. What land is the most attractive in Nova Scotia?
(a) The land along the Atlantic Ocean.
(b) The land along the Hudson River.
(c) The land along the Bay of Fundy.
(d) The land along the border with Canada.
13. Besides not making money quickly, why else does a seller not want the "goods" to remain in his care?
(a) They are tired of the servants.
(b) They will want to keep the servants.
(c) They have no work for the servants.
(d) They have to feed, clothe, and house the servants.
14. One part of this network is ______________ later called register offices.
(a) Intellectual offices.
(b) Smart offices.
(c) Registrar offices.
(d) Intelligence offices.
15. What is the most common form of payment?
(a) Bills of exchange.
(d) Trade in goods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What location would sellers avoid for holding sales?
2. The population of this colony and surrounding islands, although small, is what?
3. From the buyer's side, the longer he delayed the more likely what would happen?
4. At almost any time during the spring and fall months, what happens to indentured servants' labor?
5. What does Hogg decide about the prospective emigrants?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)