|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is happening by 1770?
(a) A small, irregular flow of people is moving into the province.
(b) A large, steady flow of people is moving into the province.
(c) A small, steady flow of people is moving into the province.
(d) A large, somewhat uncontrolled flow of people is moving into the province.
2. What is the most common form of payment?
(c) Trade in goods.
(d) Bills of exchange.
3. Why might land speculators not be interested in this land?
(a) It is far from the other colonies.
(b) It is hot and treacherous.
(c) It is obscure and unglamorous.
(d) It is dangerous.
4. What accounts for a major part of the migration to North America in the Register?
(a) The lack of labor available after 1760.
(b) The lack of need for labor after 1760.
(c) The demand for labor before 1760.
(d) The demand for labor after 1760.
5. There are successes in land speculation and, as more British become aware of the opportunities, what happens?
(a) Many people want help from these speculators.
(b) More entrepreneurs try to put together ventures.
(c) The small group of entrepreneurs make money.
(d) Certification programs become available to become speculators.
6. What does Brown's advertisement state?
(a) The ship would sail from Whitby to Georgia on August 1, 1774 and would take anyone wishing to settle in this area.
(b) The ship would sail from Edinburgh to Georgia on August 1, 1774 and would take anyone wishing to settle in this area.
(c) The ship would sail from London to North Carolina on August 1, 1774 and would take anyone wishing to settle in this area.
(d) The ship would sail from Glassgow to North Carolina on August 1, 1774 and would take anyone wishing to settle in this area.
7. From where is James Hogg?
(a) East Lothian in the Scottish Lowlands.
(b) East Lothian in the Scottish Highlands.
(c) Edinburgh in Scottland.
(d) Dublin in Ireland.
8. Where do these first settlers go?
(a) The fertile upper valley of the Tombigbee and Alabama rivers.
(b) The swampland found along what is now called Aligator Alley.
(c) The sandy beaches along the Atlantic.
(d) The fertile land around Lake Okeechobee.
9. The beginning point for this migration was where?
(a) The port of New York.
(b) The port of Maine.
(c) The port of Boston.
(d) The port of Albany.
10. People came from all over the colonies to settle in West Florida, particularly from what region?
(a) Eastern South Carolina.
(b) Western South Carolina.
(c) Western North Carolina.
(d) Eastern North Carolina.
11. During the seventeenth century, who are the only people who would continue to use this service?
(a) Those who are new to the country.
(b) Those who are young.
(c) Those who are desperate or naive.
(d) Those who do not speak English.
12. Where are the servants and convicts brought to be inspected by potential buyers?
(a) In private homes.
(b) In court rooms.
(c) Up on deck.
(d) In public houses.
13. When is there a wild land boom in Nova Scotia?
(a) The mid-Fifties.
(b) The mid-Sixties.
(c) The mid-Forties.
(d) The mid-Thirties.
14. How are merchants able to barter with overseers?
(a) The overseers are eager to unload their charges.
(b) The merchants barter with trade goods.
(c) They are willing to give the overseers a great deal of money.
(d) The overseers will steal from the merchants.
15. Describe the Gulf shore.
(a) Mineral rich soil and fertile.
(b) Sandy, yet fertile.
(c) Sandy and infertile.
(d) Wooded and hilly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Later investigations of West Florida would show what?
2. The managers often fleeced applicants and sometimes did what to poor women?
3. Is large-scale land speculation new in North America?
4. What does the Register bring into focus?
5. How many departures does the Register show for West Florida between 1773 and 1776?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)