|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is happening by 1770?
(a) A large, steady flow of people is moving into the province.
(b) A small, irregular flow of people is moving into the province.
(c) A large, somewhat uncontrolled flow of people is moving into the province.
(d) A small, steady flow of people is moving into the province.
2. Why might land speculators not be interested in this land?
(a) It is dangerous.
(b) It is obscure and unglamorous.
(c) It is hot and treacherous.
(d) It is far from the other colonies.
3. What is surprising about the expeditions previously mentioned?
(a) The surviving records are surprisingly complete.
(b) The settlers were surprisingly prepared for colony life.
(c) The settlers were surprisingly wealthy.
(d) The expeditions were surprisingly successful.
4. While Inglis was preparing the vessel and ordering supplies, Hogg was busy doing what?
(a) Planning the trip.
(b) Planning his life in America.
(c) Buying supplies for the trip.
(d) Selecting passengers.
5. How else are notices circulated?
(a) Via billboards.
(b) Via magazines.
(c) Via posters.
(d) Via newspapers and circulating handbills.
6. The beginning point for this migration was where?
(a) The port of Boston.
(b) The port of Albany.
(c) The port of New York.
(d) The port of Maine.
7. What is the name of the vessel used in all voyages from this village?
(a) The Queen Mother.
(b) The Edinburgh.
(c) The Lucia.
(d) The Marlborough.
8. From where is James Hogg?
(a) East Lothian in the Scottish Lowlands.
(b) East Lothian in the Scottish Highlands.
(c) Dublin in Ireland.
(d) Edinburgh in Scottland.
9. What land is the most attractive in Nova Scotia?
(a) The land along the Hudson River.
(b) The land along the border with Canada.
(c) The land along the Bay of Fundy.
(d) The land along the Atlantic Ocean.
10. In 1763, when almost all of the land east of the Mississippi River became the territory of what nation?
(c) Great Britain.
11. All those who voyaged to the American colonies were what?
(d) Risk takers.
12. What is the most common form of payment?
(a) Bills of exchange.
(c) Trade in goods.
13. What does the Register bring into focus?
(a) The large town of London.
(b) The small fishing village of Whitby on the North Sea coast of Yorkshire.
(c) The seaside resort of Glassgow.
(d) The small urban town of Edinburgh.
14. Where are the servants and convicts brought to be inspected by potential buyers?
(a) In court rooms.
(b) In public houses.
(c) In private homes.
(d) Up on deck.
15. At a minimum, how many immigrants arrived in New York from Britain in the two years before the war and it is likely that another 1,300 also arrived?
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe the Gulf shore.
2. What is unique about James Hogg's departure for America?
3. Where is a new British naval base and provincial capital built?
4. How many departures does the Register show for West Florida between 1773 and 1776?
5. How would the seller wait when the buyers surveyed the servants?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)