|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. 16 of these ships came from England and how many came from Scotland?
2. All those who voyaged to the American colonies were what?
(a) Risk takers.
3. Besides not making money quickly, why else does a seller not want the "goods" to remain in his care?
(a) They will want to keep the servants.
(b) They have to feed, clothe, and house the servants.
(c) They are tired of the servants.
(d) They have no work for the servants.
4. This colony and the adjacent islands totaled over how many square miles and had a population of less than 18,000 in early 1774?
5. The first settlers into the new British territory began in what year?
6. What did the British do this to these settlers?
(a) The British want to rid the colony of these strange people.
(b) The British desired to repopulate the colony with politically reliable Protestants.
(c) The British want everyone to speak the same language.
(d) The British desire their culture to be the most important.
7. In 1772, what does De Brahm present to the King?
(a) A huge map.
(b) A special dinner.
(c) A large sum of money.
(d) A present.
8. What area proved to be most attractive to land speculators and investors?
(b) West Florida.
(c) East Florida.
9. Is large-scale land speculation new in North America?
10. How many departures does the Register show for West Florida between 1773 and 1776?
11. How does communication between inland North Carolina and the Scottish Highlands remain strong?
(a) Letters pass between family members on both sides of the ocean.
(b) A great deal of travel takes place between both locations.
(c) Strong leaders exist in both regions.
(d) There is a constant flow of emigrants from Scottland.
12. Where does James Hogg try to settle 200 Scottish Highlanders?
(a) In the backcountry of South Carolina.
(b) In the backcountry of New York.
(c) In the backcountry of North Carolina.
(d) In the backcountry of Virginia.
13. From the buyer's side, the longer he delayed the more likely what would happen?
(a) The prices would stay the same.
(b) The prices would rise.
(c) The prices would fall.
(d) The seller would get annoyed.
14. When these recruiters confronted the victims about their debt, what choices are they given?
(a) Death or servitude.
(b) Servitude or slavery.
(c) Debtors' prison or servitude.
(d) Death or debtors' prison.
15. What is happening by 1770?
(a) A large, somewhat uncontrolled flow of people is moving into the province.
(b) A large, steady flow of people is moving into the province.
(c) A small, steady flow of people is moving into the province.
(d) A small, irregular flow of people is moving into the province.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Register documents how many emigrant voyages from this village, containing 155 emigrants, in total?
2. Who are the first to inspect the province of West Florida?
3. What is the most common form of payment?
4. Efforts are being made to exploit and populate the coastal lands of what states?
5. Why might land speculators not be interested in this land?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)