|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This colony and the adjacent islands totaled over how many square miles and had a population of less than 18,000 in early 1774?
2. What does Hogg decide about the prospective emigrants?
(a) They had to be related to him.
(b) They had to be disease free, be of good character, and be able to pay their freight with extra for accidents.
(c) They had to be Scottish.
(d) They had to be very wealthy.
3. The Register documents how many emigrant voyages from this village, containing 155 emigrants, in total?
4. While Inglis was preparing the vessel and ordering supplies, Hogg was busy doing what?
(a) Planning the trip.
(b) Selecting passengers.
(c) Buying supplies for the trip.
(d) Planning his life in America.
5. What accounts for a major part of the migration to North America in the Register?
(a) The lack of need for labor after 1760.
(b) The lack of labor available after 1760.
(c) The demand for labor after 1760.
(d) The demand for labor before 1760.
6. Is large-scale land speculation new in North America?
7. At a minimum, how many immigrants arrived in New York from Britain in the two years before the war and it is likely that another 1,300 also arrived?
8. The beginning steps of opening the land to settlement are _________.
9. What does the Register bring into focus?
(a) The small urban town of Edinburgh.
(b) The large town of London.
(c) The small fishing village of Whitby on the North Sea coast of Yorkshire.
(d) The seaside resort of Glassgow.
10. How else are notices circulated?
(a) Via magazines.
(b) Via newspapers and circulating handbills.
(c) Via posters.
(d) Via billboards.
11. What does Brown's advertisement state?
(a) The ship would sail from Glassgow to North Carolina on August 1, 1774 and would take anyone wishing to settle in this area.
(b) The ship would sail from London to North Carolina on August 1, 1774 and would take anyone wishing to settle in this area.
(c) The ship would sail from Whitby to Georgia on August 1, 1774 and would take anyone wishing to settle in this area.
(d) The ship would sail from Edinburgh to Georgia on August 1, 1774 and would take anyone wishing to settle in this area.
12. Who had provided what little information was known about this area from experience in the battles with the Spanish?
(a) Military leaders.
(b) Spanish politicians.
(c) Land speculators.
(d) Spanish settlers.
13. What is one way that West Florida differs from East Florida?
(a) The colony is adjacent to Italy's territory of the trans-Mississippi west.
(b) The colony is adjacent to Portugal's territory of the trans-Mississippi west.
(c) The colony is adjacent to France's territory of the trans-Mississippi west.
(d) The colony is adjacent to Spain's territory of the trans-Mississippi west.
14. How many departures does the Register show for West Florida between 1773 and 1776?
15. What is surprising about the expeditions previously mentioned?
(a) The expeditions were surprisingly successful.
(b) The settlers were surprisingly prepared for colony life.
(c) The settlers were surprisingly wealthy.
(d) The surviving records are surprisingly complete.
Short Answer Questions
1. What location would sellers avoid for holding sales?
2. What is Jonas Brown's main business?
3. One part of this network is ______________ later called register offices.
4. All those who voyaged to the American colonies were what?
5. Where does James Hogg try to settle 200 Scottish Highlanders?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)