|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is appointed in the south to create a map?
(a) Samuel Holland.
(b) Seth Hammond.
(c) Gerard De Brahm.
(d) Gerry De Vane.
2. What is the most valuable form of payment for a servant?
(a) Bills of exchange payable on demand from well-known and financially stable British firms.
(c) Trade goods.
(d) Dollar bills.
3. This colony and the adjacent islands totaled over how many square miles and had a population of less than 18,000 in early 1774?
4. Why might land speculators not be interested in this land?
(a) It is obscure and unglamorous.
(b) It is hot and treacherous.
(c) It is far from the other colonies.
(d) It is dangerous.
5. At a minimum, how many immigrants arrived in New York from Britain in the two years before the war and it is likely that another 1,300 also arrived?
6. What land is the most attractive in Nova Scotia?
(a) The land along the Hudson River.
(b) The land along the Atlantic Ocean.
(c) The land along the Bay of Fundy.
(d) The land along the border with Canada.
7. Who are the first to inspect the province of West Florida?
(a) The French.
(b) Military commanders.
(c) Land speculators.
(d) British politicians.
8. When is there a wild land boom in Nova Scotia?
(a) The mid-Sixties.
(b) The mid-Thirties.
(c) The mid-Forties.
(d) The mid-Fifties.
9. The beginning steps of opening the land to settlement are _________.
10. The Register documents how many emigrant voyages from this village, containing 155 emigrants, in total?
11. During the seventeenth century, who are the only people who would continue to use this service?
(a) Those who are young.
(b) Those who are desperate or naive.
(c) Those who do not speak English.
(d) Those who are new to the country.
12. How might garrisons and roads be created?
(a) The Portuguese government is more likely to invest in these building projects.
(b) The French government is more likely to invest in these building projects.
(c) The Spanish government is more likely to invest in these building projects.
(d) The Italian government is more likely to invest in these building projects.
13. Grants that are given are revocable unless _____________ of the land was populated within three years with one person for every hundred acres.
14. While Inglis was preparing the vessel and ordering supplies, Hogg was busy doing what?
(a) Planning the trip.
(b) Planning his life in America.
(c) Selecting passengers.
(d) Buying supplies for the trip.
15. What accounts for a major part of the migration to North America in the Register?
(a) The lack of need for labor after 1760.
(b) The demand for labor before 1760.
(c) The lack of labor available after 1760.
(d) The demand for labor after 1760.
Short Answer Questions
1. The lawlessness and danger of the Highlands convinced Hogg to do what?
2. To find the types of workers that were needed, merchants and their agents relied on public notifications. What are important focuses of these notifications?
3. What does the Register also record?
4. One part of this network is ______________ later called register offices.
5. What did the British do this to these settlers?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)