|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The managers often fleeced applicants and sometimes did what to poor women?
(a) Stole from them.
(b) Ignored them.
(c) Trapped them in prostitution.
(d) Fired them.
2. At almost any time during the spring and fall months, what happens to indentured servants' labor?
(a) It is sold prior to boarding a vessel for the colonies.
(b) It is sold on board the newly arrived vessels in the ports south of New England.
(c) It is sold in private homes.
(d) It is sold in public houses.
3. What does Hogg decide about the prospective emigrants?
(a) They had to be Scottish.
(b) They had to be disease free, be of good character, and be able to pay their freight with extra for accidents.
(c) They had to be very wealthy.
(d) They had to be related to him.
4. Describe the Gulf shore.
(a) Mineral rich soil and fertile.
(b) Wooded and hilly.
(c) Sandy, yet fertile.
(d) Sandy and infertile.
5. What is Jonas Brown's main business?
(a) The production and sale of pottery.
(b) Organizing emigration groups.
(c) The production and sale of alum.
(d) Land speculation.
6. How might garrisons and roads be created?
(a) The Spanish government is more likely to invest in these building projects.
(b) The Portuguese government is more likely to invest in these building projects.
(c) The French government is more likely to invest in these building projects.
(d) The Italian government is more likely to invest in these building projects.
7. Is large-scale land speculation new in North America?
8. The number of emigrants was increased from 100 to a minimum of what?
9. What is surprising about the expeditions previously mentioned?
(a) The settlers were surprisingly wealthy.
(b) The expeditions were surprisingly successful.
(c) The settlers were surprisingly prepared for colony life.
(d) The surviving records are surprisingly complete.
10. How would the seller wait when the buyers surveyed the servants?
11. Where do these first settlers go?
(a) The sandy beaches along the Atlantic.
(b) The fertile upper valley of the Tombigbee and Alabama rivers.
(c) The swampland found along what is now called Aligator Alley.
(d) The fertile land around Lake Okeechobee.
12. During the years in question, how many huge areas of land were claimed by the colony of New York and were opened to settlement?
13. In 1763, when almost all of the land east of the Mississippi River became the territory of what nation?
(b) Great Britain.
14. People came from all over the colonies to settle in West Florida, particularly from what region?
(a) Western North Carolina.
(b) Eastern North Carolina.
(c) Western South Carolina.
(d) Eastern South Carolina.
15. Where is a new British naval base and provincial capital built?
(a) At Quebec.
(b) At Halifax.
(c) At Boston.
(d) At Vermont.
Short Answer Questions
1. What accounts for a major part of the migration to North America in the Register?
2. When is there a wild land boom in Nova Scotia?
3. Where are the servants and convicts brought to be inspected by potential buyers?
4. How does communication between inland North Carolina and the Scottish Highlands remain strong?
5. What land is the most attractive in Nova Scotia?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)