|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Register bring into focus?
(a) The large town of London.
(b) The small urban town of Edinburgh.
(c) The seaside resort of Glassgow.
(d) The small fishing village of Whitby on the North Sea coast of Yorkshire.
2. Where do these first settlers go?
(a) The fertile upper valley of the Tombigbee and Alabama rivers.
(b) The fertile land around Lake Okeechobee.
(c) The sandy beaches along the Atlantic.
(d) The swampland found along what is now called Aligator Alley.
3. What did the British do this to these settlers?
(a) The British desire their culture to be the most important.
(b) The British want everyone to speak the same language.
(c) The British desired to repopulate the colony with politically reliable Protestants.
(d) The British want to rid the colony of these strange people.
4. In the period before the American Revolution, what is the northeastern most point in the arc of borderlands in the outer boundaries of British communities in North America?
(a) New York.
(d) Nova Scotia.
5. What is unique about James Hogg's departure for America?
(a) The records were almost completely destroyed.
(b) His trip is very simple.
(c) The records that survived.
(d) His trip is very organized.
6. What does Brown's advertisement state?
(a) The ship would sail from London to North Carolina on August 1, 1774 and would take anyone wishing to settle in this area.
(b) The ship would sail from Edinburgh to Georgia on August 1, 1774 and would take anyone wishing to settle in this area.
(c) The ship would sail from Glassgow to North Carolina on August 1, 1774 and would take anyone wishing to settle in this area.
(d) The ship would sail from Whitby to Georgia on August 1, 1774 and would take anyone wishing to settle in this area.
7. When Britain took over Nova Scotia, what did it do with the settlers there?
(a) They taught them English.
(b) The imprisoned them.
(c) They forced their culture on them.
(d) They deported the entire Acadian population to various points south.
8. The Register documents how many emigrant voyages from this village, containing 155 emigrants, in total?
9. Why is this a positive aspect about West Florida?
(a) The established Spanish settlers may be willing to come into British territory to help settle the new province.
(b) The established Portuguese settlers may be willing to come into British territory to help settle the new province.
(c) The established French settlers may be willing to come into British territory to help settle the new province.
(d) The established Italian settlers may be willing to come into British territory to help settle the new province.
10. How many departures does the Register show for West Florida between 1773 and 1776?
11. From the buyer's side, the longer he delayed the more likely what would happen?
(a) The prices would fall.
(b) The seller would get annoyed.
(c) The prices would stay the same.
(d) The prices would rise.
12. Besides not making money quickly, why else does a seller not want the "goods" to remain in his care?
(a) They will want to keep the servants.
(b) They are tired of the servants.
(c) They have no work for the servants.
(d) They have to feed, clothe, and house the servants.
13. What land is the most attractive in Nova Scotia?
(a) The land along the border with Canada.
(b) The land along the Bay of Fundy.
(c) The land along the Hudson River.
(d) The land along the Atlantic Ocean.
14. The managers often fleeced applicants and sometimes did what to poor women?
(a) Stole from them.
(b) Ignored them.
(c) Fired them.
(d) Trapped them in prostitution.
15. Who helps James Hogg by arranging to have a vessel sent north to transport James and his family?
(a) His cousin, Robert Hogg.
(b) His brother, Robert Hogg.
(c) His father, Roger Hogg.
(d) His sister, Roberta Hogg.
Short Answer Questions
1. At almost any time during the spring and fall months, what happens to indentured servants' labor?
2. How are merchants able to barter with overseers?
3. In the years before the Revolution, there were at least thirty-eight colonial merchant firms dealing in what nationality of servants?
4. What are unscrupulous recruiters called?
5. The lawlessness and danger of the Highlands convinced Hogg to do what?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)