|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John Powell, an undersecretary of state for the colonies, suggest?
(a) Emigration be difficult and expensive.
(b) A statistical assessment of emigration be done to see how Britain was affected.
(c) A statistical assessment of those who do not emigrate.
(d) Emigration be halted.
2. A much smaller percentage was going where?
(a) To North Carolina and New York.
(b) To Canada and Nova Scotia.
(c) To Canada and the West Indies.
(d) To Mexico and the West Indies.
3. How is this concentration of ages markedly different from the overall percentage of British citizens and from the population of the American colonies?
(a) Over half of the free population was over the age of 21.
(b) Over half of the free population was over the age of 40.
(c) Over half of the free population was under the age of 21.
(d) Over half of the free population was under the age of 10.
4. At certain times, vessels would carry _________ numbers of emigrants.
(a) Very small.
(b) An average.
5. English women emigrants were almost always engaged in what sort of work?
(b) Textile work.
6. Bailyn argues that for the men a picture develops of lower middle and working class men for whom emigration was what?
(a) Something that they must do for their families.
(b) An opportunity to be sought rather than a desperate escape.
(c) A desperate escape rather than an opportunity to be sought.
(d) Something exciting to do.
7. The largest occupation category is what?
(d) Artisans, craftsmen, or workers trained in specific skills.
8. To where do they immigrate?
9. Where are deliberately organized emigrant vessels more common?
(a) In Northern English and Northern Irish ports.
(b) In Southern English and French ports.
(c) In Northern English and Scottish ports.
(d) In Southern English and Irish ports.
10. The Earl of Hillsborough argues that the colonies are to benefit the kingdom through commerce and the production of goods. What does he think about settling the western lands, regarding this goal?
(a) It is a simple solution to achieve this goal.
(b) It will be difficult to do.
(c) It makes a lot of sense.
(d) It makes no sense.
11. Bailyn turns his attention to where the emigrants migrated to in North America. How does he argue that they travel to all the colonies?
(a) They do not travel to all the colonies in equal amounts.
(b) They all take the same few boats.
(c) They travel to all the colonies in equal amounts.
(d) They often purchase their own vessels for the journey.
12. Bailyn compares the Register's totals to notices of ships' arrivals in North America and finds what?
(a) The Register's totals account for probably around one-fifth of the total number of British emigrants.
(b) The Register's totals account for probably around four-fifths of the total number of British emigrants.
(c) The Register's totals account for probably around three-fifths of the total number of British emigrants.
(d) The Register's totals account for probably around two-fifths of the total number of British emigrants.
13. What does the Earl of Hillsborough grasp?
(a) The positive effects expansion has on Great Britain.
(b) The implications of the westward expansion and emigration.
(c) The importance of the colonies.
(d) The weaknesses found in the colonies.
14. What other jobs had also become unstable?
(a) Agricultural employment.
(c) Painting employment.
(d) Communication fields.
15. Do British officials pay much attention at first to the settlement of western lands in America or to emigration from Britain to the colonies?
(a) No, not at all.
(b) Yes, a great deal.
(c) Yes, somewhat.
(d) No, not too much.
Short Answer Questions
1. What region has only a small need for additional workers?
2. Building in general accounts for much of the recruitment of artisans from where?
3. Was it new that North America had been seen as a place of refuge?
4. The average ages for immigrants to the colonies range from a low of ________________ to a high of 40.5 for Canada.
5. Why is there a small need for additional workers in this region?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)