|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Most available for labor are who?
(b) Condemned criminals.
(c) Indentured servants.
2. Eighteenth century America was _____________________________.
(a) Much like the British Isles.
(b) Ahead of its time.
(c) Pre-industrial, pre-urban, and pre-humanitarian.
(d) More industrial, urban, and humane than most of Europe.
3. In New York and North Carolina, over eighty-five percent of migrants were Scots and were more likely to be __________.
4. Families migrating together tended to go to New York, North Carolina, and _________.
(b) Nova Scotia.
(d) North Carolina.
5. Building in general accounts for much of the recruitment of artisans from where?
(b) Nova Scotia.
(c) North Carolina.
6. Where are deliberately organized emigrant vessels more common?
(a) In Southern English and Irish ports.
(b) In Northern English and Northern Irish ports.
(c) In Northern English and Scottish ports.
(d) In Southern English and French ports.
7. Construction, and in particular what type of building, was also a large industry in the North American colonies?
(a) Business construction.
(d) Wagon building.
8. What has long existed in the silk industry?
(a) Happy employees.
(b) Many jobs.
(c) The same weaving techniques.
(d) Labor unrest.
9. Is child labor popular in the silk industry at this time?
(b) At the beginning of the century.
(c) In some regions.
10. More children below the age of ten and more _________________ departed from Scotland.
(a) Women and girls.
(b) Men and boys.
(c) Men and girls.
(d) Women and boys.
11. Building craftsman and clothing makers were in high demand where?
(a) New York.
(c) Almost everywhere.
12. Into where does the population of the colonies spread?
(a) The backcountry of the coastal colonies and trans-Appalachian west.
(b) Along the Atlantic coast.
(c) To Florida.
(d) North and south.
13. Do there appear to be concentrations of indentured servants in particular occupations settling in certain colonies?
(a) Not at first.
14. Do similar situations exist in other industries in this city?
(b) Yes, but only in a small amount of industries.
(d) Yes, but not until later in the century.
15. The magnitude of these developments was __________________ in these years than they had been in the preceding years.
(a) Slightly less.
(b) The same.
(d) Less than.
Short Answer Questions
1. The occupations and residences of those emigrating to New York and North Carolina are _____________ the previous colonies.
2. What information is sometimes estimated by the customs officials?
3. In the months that followed, how many emigrants do customs officials interview?
4. Where is the silk industry developed in the late seventeenth century?
5. Was it new that North America had been seen as a place of refuge?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)