|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Do British officials pay much attention at first to the settlement of western lands in America or to emigration from Britain to the colonies?
(a) No, not too much.
(b) Yes, a great deal.
(c) No, not at all.
(d) Yes, somewhat.
2. Families migrating together tended to go to New York, North Carolina, and _________.
(a) Nova Scotia.
(d) North Carolina.
3. How much regard is there for human suffering and rights?
(d) A great amount of.
4. Bailyn turns his attention to where the emigrants migrated to in North America. How does he argue that they travel to all the colonies?
(a) They do not travel to all the colonies in equal amounts.
(b) They travel to all the colonies in equal amounts.
(c) They often purchase their own vessels for the journey.
(d) They all take the same few boats.
5. In 1753, into what debate does the Earl of Hillsborough enter?
(a) Whether to allow people to emigrate to the colonies.
(b) Whether to create a new nation out of the colonies.
(c) Whether to create a national census.
(d) Whether Great Britain should stay in control of the colonies.
6. It is estimated that for the years 1718 to 1775, how many convicts were banished to the colonies?
7. How many ironworks are operating in the colonies at this time?
(a) Over 200.
(b) Over 150.
(c) Over 250.
(d) Over 100.
8. _________ of the nuclear families consisted of only a husband and wife.
9. What is the result of this collection?
(a) It explains what is faulty about Great Britain.
(b) It illuminates the essential characteristics of the emigration.
(c) It gives some basic information about those who emigrate.
(d) It illuminates what life is like after emigration.
10. More children below the age of ten and more _________________ departed from Scotland.
(a) Men and girls.
(b) Women and boys.
(c) Women and girls.
(d) Men and boys.
11. Do similar situations exist in other industries in this city?
(b) Yes, but not until later in the century.
(c) Yes, but only in a small amount of industries.
12. In the months that followed, how many emigrants do customs officials interview?
(c) Tens of thousands.
13. The average ages for immigrants to the colonies range from a low of ________________ to a high of 40.5 for Canada.
(a) 27.8 for New York.
(b) 18.7 for North Carolina.
(c) 15. 3 for Virginia.
(d) 20.5 for Massachusetts.
14. Those between what ages typically travel independent of families?
(a) 15 and 24.
(b) 20 and 30.
(c) 18 and 25.
(d) 10 and 15.
15. Building craftsman and clothing makers were in high demand where?
(b) Almost everywhere.
(c) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Building in general accounts for much of the recruitment of artisans from where?
2. What does the Earl of Hillsborough grasp?
3. What is the major problem of this survey?
4. In the provinces, is there mass exodus anywhere in Britain?
5. Where is the silk industry developed in the late seventeenth century?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)