|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To where do they immigrate?
2. Do there appear to be concentrations of indentured servants in particular occupations settling in certain colonies?
(b) Not at first.
3. What does Bailyn say about the force of attraction to North America?
(a) It is attractive to British emigrants.
(b) It is powerful for British emigrants.
(c) It is a waste of time for British emigrants.
(d) It is a a necessary evil for British emigrants.
4. Where are deliberately organized emigrant vessels more common?
(a) In Southern English and French ports.
(b) In Southern English and Irish ports.
(c) In Northern English and Scottish ports.
(d) In Northern English and Northern Irish ports.
5. How is this concentration of ages markedly different from the overall percentage of British citizens and from the population of the American colonies?
(a) Over half of the free population was under the age of 10.
(b) Over half of the free population was under the age of 21.
(c) Over half of the free population was over the age of 21.
(d) Over half of the free population was over the age of 40.
6. Do similar situations exist in other industries in this city?
(b) Yes, but only in a small amount of industries.
(d) Yes, but not until later in the century.
7. More children below the age of ten and more _________________ departed from Scotland.
(a) Women and girls.
(b) Women and boys.
(c) Men and boys.
(d) Men and girls.
8. Most available for labor are who?
(b) Condemned criminals.
(d) Indentured servants.
9. Where are most of the ironworks built?
(a) Along the coast.
(b) In agricultural towns.
(c) In heavily wooded areas.
(d) In open country.
10. Migrants to Nova Scotia tended to be similar to those going to New York and North Carolina while those migrating to the West Indies tended to be similar to those migrating to which colonies?
(a) The southern colonies.
(b) The central colonies.
(c) The northern colonies.
(d) The island colonies.
11. Building craftsman and clothing makers were in high demand where?
(b) New York.
(c) Almost everywhere.
12. After registering, were vessels free to pick up passengers without registering them?
(b) Only ten passengers.
13. The reports from the customs officials show 9,868 individuals leaving for North America from December, 1773 to March, 1776. Why must this number must be adjusted?
(a) Not all travelers are emigrants.
(b) One year is left out of the count.
(c) The customs officials did not count correctly.
(d) Many women are pregnant.
14. Why does Tompkyns soon hire an extra clerk?
(a) He is tired of his job.
(b) He is emigrating to America.
(c) He is sick.
(d) He is overwhelmed with his job.
15. The information sent to where is sent directly to the Treasury in London without any editing or summarization?
Short Answer Questions
1. These characteristics are shared with other societies, but is America's way of life unique?
2. What is the result of this collection?
3. The English migrants most often went to Pennsylvania, Maryland and ________.
4. What is John Tompkyns' job?
5. What is commonly believed by 1773?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)