|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It is estimated that for the years 1718 to 1775, how many convicts were banished to the colonies?
2. Do the concerns over the settlement of western lands and emigration from Britain to the colonies play a role in the early efforts of the British government to establish and shape policies on the western lands?
3. During this time, there was also an array of lobbyists working for land speculators and western trading interests, led by whom?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Benjamin Moore.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
4. Building in general accounts for much of the recruitment of artisans from where?
(a) North Carolina.
(d) Nova Scotia.
5. Do similar situations exist in other industries in this city?
(a) Yes, but not until later in the century.
(d) Yes, but only in a small amount of industries.
6. The occupations and residences of those emigrating to New York and North Carolina are _____________ the previous colonies.
(a) The same as.
(b) Different from.
(c) Worse than.
(d) Better than.
7. What does Bailyn say about what these patterns show about the migration from Britain to America?
(a) A movement that, at times, seems to have a pattern.
(b) A discrete and patterned movement of people.
(c) A small amount of movement of people.
(d) A unorganized movement of people.
8. Most emigrants traveled ____________.
(a) In pairs.
(b) With families.
(c) In groups.
9. What region has only a small need for additional workers?
(b) New England.
(c) The South.
10. Most of these vessels listed were probably engaged in commercial voyages and carried passengers for what reason?
(a) To break even on their profits.
(b) To help them get to America.
(c) To fill out their cargo and to gain some extra profit.
(d) To have enough workers on the ship.
11. Of the 8,613 emigrants whose sex was registered, about ____________ are males?
12. How is the information handled at these sites?
(b) Almost the same.
(c) The same.
(d) Not well.
13. Where are deliberately organized emigrant vessels more common?
(a) In Southern English and Irish ports.
(b) In Northern English and Scottish ports.
(c) In Southern English and French ports.
(d) In Northern English and Northern Irish ports.
14. Can the precise difference between the actual numbers of emigrants and between the Register's totals be established?
(d) Yes, in a few years.
15. Those between what ages typically travel independent of families?
(a) 10 and 15.
(b) 18 and 25.
(c) 15 and 24.
(d) 20 and 30.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of this collection?
2. Most available for labor are who?
3. Why is there a small need for additional workers in this region?
4. A much smaller percentage was going where?
5. On the verge of the Revolution, the American colonies were producing what percentage of the world's iron supply or about 30,000 tons annually?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)