|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What other jobs had also become unstable?
(a) Agricultural employment.
(c) Communication fields.
(d) Painting employment.
2. Building in general accounts for much of the recruitment of artisans from where?
(a) Nova Scotia.
(b) North Carolina.
3. After registering, were vessels free to pick up passengers without registering them?
(b) Only ten passengers.
4. What happens to the bill for which the Earl of Hillsborough fought?
(a) It is defeated.
(b) It is modified.
(c) It is accepted.
(d) It is considered.
5. What does Bailyn say about the force of attraction to North America?
(a) It is powerful for British emigrants.
(b) It is a waste of time for British emigrants.
(c) It is a a necessary evil for British emigrants.
(d) It is attractive to British emigrants.
6. Where is the silk industry developed in the late seventeenth century?
(a) Four blocks in North London.
(b) Four blocks in West London.
(c) Four blocks in East London.
(d) Four blocks in South London.
7. Why is the data source that the author mentions incomplete?
(a) It includes only information about life after emigration.
(b) It includes only information for England and Scotland.
(c) It includes only information about those who are indentured servants.
(d) It includes only information about males.
8. Building craftsman and clothing makers were in high demand where?
(a) New York.
(b) Almost everywhere.
9. Is the movement to the colonies a patternless roaming?
(b) At first.
10. Families migrating together tended to go to New York, North Carolina, and _________.
(a) Nova Scotia.
(d) North Carolina.
11. Most emigrants traveled ____________.
(b) In pairs.
(c) With families.
(d) In groups.
12. Bailyn compares the Register's totals to notices of ships' arrivals in North America and finds what?
(a) The Register's totals account for probably around three-fifths of the total number of British emigrants.
(b) The Register's totals account for probably around two-fifths of the total number of British emigrants.
(c) The Register's totals account for probably around four-fifths of the total number of British emigrants.
(d) The Register's totals account for probably around one-fifth of the total number of British emigrants.
13. How much regard is there for human suffering and rights?
(c) A great amount of.
14. It is estimated that for the years 1718 to 1775, how many convicts were banished to the colonies?
15. What is the age that individuals could legally bind themselves as indentured servants?
Short Answer Questions
1. Is child labor popular in the silk industry at this time?
2. The overwhelming majority of the individuals emigrating gave their destinations as mainland North American colonies south of where?
3. The information sent to where is sent directly to the Treasury in London without any editing or summarization?
4. Where are deliberately organized emigrant vessels more common?
5. More than half of the migrants to Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Virginia are ____________.
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)