|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The information sent to where is sent directly to the Treasury in London without any editing or summarization?
2. By 1765, it was evident that one result of the employment problems in the silk industry would be what?
(a) A large exodus of weavers to other countries in Europe.
(b) A large exodus of weavers to the colonies.
(c) A small exodus of weavers to the colonies.
(d) A large exodus of weavers to other trades.
3. What does John Powell, an undersecretary of state for the colonies, suggest?
(a) A statistical assessment of those who do not emigrate.
(b) Emigration be halted.
(c) Emigration be difficult and expensive.
(d) A statistical assessment of emigration be done to see how Britain was affected.
4. Do similar situations exist in other industries in this city?
(a) Yes, but not until later in the century.
(c) Yes, but only in a small amount of industries.
5. Bailyn argues that for the men a picture develops of lower middle and working class men for whom emigration was what?
(a) Something that they must do for their families.
(b) Something exciting to do.
(c) An opportunity to be sought rather than a desperate escape.
(d) A desperate escape rather than an opportunity to be sought.
6. What does Bailyn say about what these patterns show about the migration from Britain to America?
(a) A unorganized movement of people.
(b) A discrete and patterned movement of people.
(c) A small amount of movement of people.
(d) A movement that, at times, seems to have a pattern.
7. These characteristics are shared with other societies, but is America's way of life unique?
(a) Not very.
(c) A little.
8. What happens to the bill for which the Earl of Hillsborough fought?
(a) It is considered.
(b) It is accepted.
(c) It is modified.
(d) It is defeated.
9. The emigrants listed in the Register sailed to America in how many different vessels?
10. The ages of the emigrants tended to concentrate around what ages?
11. Why does Tompkyns soon hire an extra clerk?
(a) He is overwhelmed with his job.
(b) He is tired of his job.
(c) He is sick.
(d) He is emigrating to America.
12. What information is sometimes estimated by the customs officials?
13. When does Hillsborough take on the key post of secretary of state for the colonies?
(a) In 1748.
(b) In 1768.
(c) In 1758.
(d) In 1738.
14. What is the age that individuals could legally bind themselves as indentured servants?
15. In what kind of world do these people live?
(a) One that is somewhat risky.
(b) One that is constantly at risk.
(c) One that is much like it is today.
(d) One that is much like Great Britain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What region has only a small need for additional workers?
2. Why is there a small need for additional workers in this region?
3. Of the 6,190 emigrants whose occupation is listed, only _____________ listed occupations that were considered "gentle."
4. What other jobs had also become unstable?
5. Into where does the population of the colonies spread?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)