|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information is sometimes estimated by the customs officials?
2. More than half of the migrants to Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Virginia are ____________.
(a) Indentured servants.
3. Most of these vessels listed were probably engaged in commercial voyages and carried passengers for what reason?
(a) To break even on their profits.
(b) To fill out their cargo and to gain some extra profit.
(c) To help them get to America.
(d) To have enough workers on the ship.
4. What is also increasing between industries?
(c) Employee swapping.
5. Why does this proclamation aim to slow expansion?
(a) To give Great Britain more power.
(b) To prevent the colonies from becoming tired of British rule.
(c) To prevent the Americas from becoming too powerful.
(d) To prevent border violence and gradually introduce civil government in these areas.
6. On the verge of the Revolution, the American colonies were producing what percentage of the world's iron supply or about 30,000 tons annually?
(a) About one-sixth.
(b) About one-seventh.
(c) About one-fifth.
(d) About one-fourth.
7. After registering, were vessels free to pick up passengers without registering them?
(c) Only ten passengers.
8. Most available for labor are who?
(a) Indentured servants.
(c) Condemned criminals.
9. Construction, and in particular what type of building, was also a large industry in the North American colonies?
(a) Business construction.
(b) Wagon building.
10. In what kind of world do these people live?
(a) One that is constantly at risk.
(b) One that is somewhat risky.
(c) One that is much like it is today.
(d) One that is much like Great Britain.
11. It is estimated that for the years 1718 to 1775, how many convicts were banished to the colonies?
12. _________ of the nuclear families consisted of only a husband and wife.
13. Is the movement to the colonies a patternless roaming?
(a) At first.
14. More children below the age of ten and more _________________ departed from Scotland.
(a) Men and girls.
(b) Men and boys.
(c) Women and boys.
(d) Women and girls.
15. Building craftsman and clothing makers were in high demand where?
(c) New York.
(d) Almost everywhere.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bailyn argues that for the men a picture develops of lower middle and working class men for whom emigration was what?
2. What is the major problem of this survey?
3. By 1775, it is estimated that one in every ____________ of the people in this city was a servant.
4. Do there appear to be concentrations of indentured servants in particular occupations settling in certain colonies?
5. In 1753, into what debate does the Earl of Hillsborough enter?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)