|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is commonly believed by 1773?
(a) British emigration was leading to depopulation in certain areas of the British Isles.
(b) British emigration was becoming more difficult to do.
(c) British emigration was becoming unpopular.
(d) British emigration was leading to more wealth for those who stayed behind.
2. Do similar situations exist in other industries in this city?
(a) Yes, but not until later in the century.
(b) Yes, but only in a small amount of industries.
3. Where is the silk industry developed in the late seventeenth century?
(a) Four blocks in North London.
(b) Four blocks in South London.
(c) Four blocks in East London.
(d) Four blocks in West London.
4. In the months that followed, how many emigrants do customs officials interview?
(b) Tens of thousands.
5. Of the 8,613 emigrants whose sex was registered, about ____________ are males?
6. Where are most of the ironworks built?
(a) Along the coast.
(b) In agricultural towns.
(c) In heavily wooded areas.
(d) In open country.
7. What closes the trans-Appalachian west, except to licensed traders, and created the colonies of Quebec, East and West Florida?
(a) The Proclamation of 1763.
(b) The Proclamation of the 1773.
(c) The Proclamation of the Americas.
(d) The Proclamation of the Colonies.
8. Families migrating together tended to go to New York, North Carolina, and _________.
(a) North Carolina.
(d) Nova Scotia.
9. At certain times, vessels would carry _________ numbers of emigrants.
(b) An average.
(d) Very small.
10. How is the information handled at these sites?
(a) Almost the same.
(b) The same.
(c) Not well.
11. Do the concerns over the settlement of western lands and emigration from Britain to the colonies play a role in the early efforts of the British government to establish and shape policies on the western lands?
12. What is John Tompkyns' job?
(a) He inspects and corrects each incoming report and then copies the information onto large uniform sheets.
(b) He sends the reports to the various inspection sites.
(c) He files all of the paperwork.
(d) He organizes the paperwork.
13. The ages of the emigrants tended to concentrate around what ages?
14. By 1765, it was evident that one result of the employment problems in the silk industry would be what?
(a) A large exodus of weavers to other countries in Europe.
(b) A small exodus of weavers to the colonies.
(c) A large exodus of weavers to the colonies.
(d) A large exodus of weavers to other trades.
15. In the provinces, is there mass exodus anywhere in Britain?
(a) In some provinces.
Short Answer Questions
1. Migrants to Nova Scotia tended to be similar to those going to New York and North Carolina while those migrating to the West Indies tended to be similar to those migrating to which colonies?
2. During this time, there was also an array of lobbyists working for land speculators and western trading interests, led by whom?
3. A much smaller percentage was going where?
4. More children below the age of ten and more _________________ departed from Scotland.
5. What is the age that individuals could legally bind themselves as indentured servants?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)