|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 3 Searching for the Facts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does this proclamation aim to slow expansion?
(a) To give Great Britain more power.
(b) To prevent the Americas from becoming too powerful.
(c) To prevent border violence and gradually introduce civil government in these areas.
(d) To prevent the colonies from becoming tired of British rule.
2. In 1753, into what debate does the Earl of Hillsborough enter?
(a) Whether to create a national census.
(b) Whether to allow people to emigrate to the colonies.
(c) Whether Great Britain should stay in control of the colonies.
(d) Whether to create a new nation out of the colonies.
3. What is commonly believed by 1773?
(a) British emigration was becoming more difficult to do.
(b) British emigration was leading to more wealth for those who stayed behind.
(c) British emigration was becoming unpopular.
(d) British emigration was leading to depopulation in certain areas of the British Isles.
4. Eighteenth century America was _____________________________.
(a) More industrial, urban, and humane than most of Europe.
(b) Pre-industrial, pre-urban, and pre-humanitarian.
(c) Ahead of its time.
(d) Much like the British Isles.
5. What information is sometimes estimated by the customs officials?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tompkyns soon hire an extra clerk?
2. These characteristics are shared with other societies, but is America's way of life unique?
3. At this time, most individuals concerned with emigration focused on what?
4. When does Hillsborough take on the key post of secretary of state for the colonies?
5. How much regard is there for human suffering and rights?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)