|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 3 Searching for the Facts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Do British officials pay much attention at first to the settlement of western lands in America or to emigration from Britain to the colonies?
(a) Yes, somewhat.
(b) No, not too much.
(c) Yes, a great deal.
(d) No, not at all.
2. These characteristics are shared with other societies, but is America's way of life unique?
(c) A little.
(d) Not very.
3. As what do the colonies become known?
(a) A no man's land.
(b) A threat to British power.
(c) A potential gold mine in land values, consumer markets, and so on.
(d) A savage land.
4. What is commonly believed by 1773?
(a) British emigration was leading to depopulation in certain areas of the British Isles.
(b) British emigration was leading to more wealth for those who stayed behind.
(c) British emigration was becoming unpopular.
(d) British emigration was becoming more difficult to do.
5. During this time, there was also an array of lobbyists working for land speculators and western trading interests, led by whom?
(a) Benjamin Moore.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What closes the trans-Appalachian west, except to licensed traders, and created the colonies of Quebec, East and West Florida?
2. What information is sometimes estimated by the customs officials?
3. The information sent to where is sent directly to the Treasury in London without any editing or summarization?
4. What does John Powell, an undersecretary of state for the colonies, suggest?
5. Why does Tompkyns soon hire an extra clerk?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)