|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 5 Identities and Motivations: The Dual Emigration.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Do British officials pay much attention at first to the settlement of western lands in America or to emigration from Britain to the colonies?
(a) Yes, a great deal.
(b) No, not at all.
(c) No, not too much.
(d) Yes, somewhat.
2. Why does Tompkyns soon hire an extra clerk?
(a) He is sick.
(b) He is tired of his job.
(c) He is overwhelmed with his job.
(d) He is emigrating to America.
3. Those between what ages typically travel independent of families?
(a) 18 and 25.
(b) 10 and 15.
(c) 20 and 30.
(d) 15 and 24.
4. At this time, most individuals concerned with emigration focused on what?
(a) Personal losses.
(b) Demographic and economic losses.
(c) A loss in a sense of nationalism.
(d) A sense of fear felt by those who stay in Great Britain.
5. Why is the data source that the author mentions incomplete?
(a) It includes only information about males.
(b) It includes only information for England and Scotland.
(c) It includes only information about life after emigration.
(d) It includes only information about those who are indentured servants.
Short Answer Questions
1. During this time, there was also an array of lobbyists working for land speculators and western trading interests, led by whom?
2. Most of these vessels listed were probably engaged in commercial voyages and carried passengers for what reason?
3. What is commonly believed by 1773?
4. _________ of the nuclear families consisted of only a husband and wife.
5. Is the movement to the colonies a patternless roaming?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)