|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Voltore's punishment for misleading the courts?
2. Who is representing Valpone in the court case?
3. What is the name of Corbaccio's son?
4. Who announces to the courts that everything regarding Celia and Bonario's sentencing has been a mistake?
5. What realization about independence does Mosca make while he is addressing the audience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many items in the play that are worshiped by the characters and revered almost as if they are religious artifacts. Choose two items in the play that are not religious and explain how these items are revered by characters in the play. How does Jonson create a sense of religion around items that are not religious?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the play, Valpone pleads with the audience to learn from the mistakes of the characters in the play. Explain what Valpone meant by this statement and give examples of two characters whose lessons could be learned. Finally, explain whether or not it was effective for Valpone to plead with the audience at the end of the play, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Valpone has two main women in his life, Celia and Lady Would-Be. Briefly describe each woman and explain her relationship with Valpone. Then, describe the ways that they each act to alter Valpone's life and death.
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)