|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who knocks at the door, interrupting Nano's poem?
2. Who is called as the main witness against Celia?
3. Which of the following characters does NOT enter Valpone's home with the intent to fight against his named heir?
4. Who runs to Celia's aide when she is threatened to be raped?
5. What is the name of the Senate, or Court Hose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valpone has three main suitors who seek to work their way into Valpone's will. Describe each of the three suitors and explain each of their methods for attempting to woo Valpone.
Essay Topic 2
Poetry is an important theme throughout the novel as it shows the level of education that many of the characters have, and there are many examples of times that poetry is used in the speech of the characters. Give two examples of poems that are used throughout the text of the play and explain how that poem is used to characterize the speaker to the audience.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the play, Valpone pleads with the audience to learn from the mistakes of the characters in the play. Explain what Valpone meant by this statement and give examples of two characters whose lessons could be learned. Finally, explain whether or not it was effective for Valpone to plead with the audience at the end of the play, and why.
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)