|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Valpone's scuffle with Bonario, who does he assume is at the door when there is a knock?
2. How do the legacy hunters react to the news that Mosca has been named as Valpone's heir?
3. Who does Valpone send into the town to announce his death?
4. Which of the following adjectives best describes Valpone as he is waiting for Mosca to return from his meeting with Corbaccio?
5. Who is blamed for the misleading case against Celia and Bonario?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in the novel spend much time trying to make another character look like a fool. This act is called "gulling". Choose two examples of gulling as they appear in the text, and explain what the outcomes of these intentions were. In the end, which characters are made to look like the biggest fools of all?
Essay Topic 2
Valpone has two main women in his life, Celia and Lady Would-Be. Briefly describe each woman and explain her relationship with Valpone. Then, describe the ways that they each act to alter Valpone's life and death.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, the audience almost always knows more than the characters on stage. Give two examples of times when the audience knows more about the plot of the play than the characters involved, and then explain what kind of relationship is created with the audience when most of the characters in the play are ignorant to the events happening around them.
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)