|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who threatens to rape Celia if she does not comply with his wishes?
2. After hearing the news of the rumors regarding him, in what animal carcass does Sir Politic hide?
3. What relationship does Voltore claim Celia and Bonario have?
4. What is the name of Corbaccio's son?
5. According to the visitor, who announced that Sir Politic was planning on selling Venice in open court?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valpone has two main women in his life, Celia and Lady Would-Be. Briefly describe each woman and explain her relationship with Valpone. Then, describe the ways that they each act to alter Valpone's life and death.
Essay Topic 2
Valpone spends most of the time in the play pretending to be ill. Give examples of three ways that Valpone pretends to be ill and what the reaction to his devices are. Why is it important to Valpone's plan that the legacy hunters believe that he is really ill?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the play, Valpone pleads with the audience to learn from the mistakes of the characters in the play. Explain what Valpone meant by this statement and give examples of two characters whose lessons could be learned. Finally, explain whether or not it was effective for Valpone to plead with the audience at the end of the play, and why.
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)