|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the visitor, who announced that Sir Politic was planning on selling Venice in open court?
2. What realization about independence does Mosca make while he is addressing the audience?
3. Who threatens to rape Celia if she does not comply with his wishes?
4. Who does Valpone send into the town to announce his death?
5. What is the name of Corbaccio's son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in the novel spend much time trying to make another character look like a fool. This act is called "gulling". Choose two examples of gulling as they appear in the text, and explain what the outcomes of these intentions were. In the end, which characters are made to look like the biggest fools of all?
Essay Topic 2
Classism is an important theme throughout the play. Explain how classism functions throughout "Valpone" and give the example of one major event in the play that bucked the system of classism. What is the effect of that action on the characters of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Poetry is an important theme throughout the novel as it shows the level of education that many of the characters have, and there are many examples of times that poetry is used in the speech of the characters. Give two examples of poems that are used throughout the text of the play and explain how that poem is used to characterize the speaker to the audience.
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)