|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mosca is addressing the audience after meeting with Corvino, how many times is he interrupted by other characters?
2. Which of the following characters does NOT enter Valpone's home with the intent to fight against his named heir?
3. Why doesn't Bonario enter the room as Mosca suggests?
4. In what room of the house does Mosca encourage Bonario to await his father's arrival to Valpone's?
5. How does Mosca feel in relation to all of Valpone's other servants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poetry is an important theme throughout the novel as it shows the level of education that many of the characters have, and there are many examples of times that poetry is used in the speech of the characters. Give two examples of poems that are used throughout the text of the play and explain how that poem is used to characterize the speaker to the audience.
Essay Topic 2
Many critics of Jonson's play argue that Jonson, as the narrator and creator of the play, is an arrogant and boastful author. Describe two moments in which Jonson appears arrogant, and argue whether or not you agree with the critics based on the two examples provided. What motivations might Jonson have for creating an arrogant persona as the narrator of this play?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in this play are characterized by their greed, although it is not always a greed of money. Create a list of three things that characters in this play are greedy for, and then choose one character that you think best exemplifies this type of greed and explain why.
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)