|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Corvino worried that his reputation might be tarnished in court?
2. Which type of fish does Sir Politic hope to supply to Italy?
3. Who is representing Valpone in the court case?
4. According to the visitor, who announced that Sir Politic was planning on selling Venice in open court?
5. Which character is sent to be imprisoned and whipped?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Halfway through the play, Mosca is described as parasite rather than a servant. Explain what it means to be a parasite in the text of this play and argue whether or not this is a fair assessment of Mosca's character.
Essay Topic 2
When Valpone's plan is eventually revealed to the court, all of the characters involved receive individual and unique punishments. Create a list of the five characters that were involved in Valpone's plan and explain what the punishment for each of the characters was. Then, explain whether or not you believe that the punishments doled out fit the crimes, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Valpone spends most of the time in the play pretending to be ill. Give examples of three ways that Valpone pretends to be ill and what the reaction to his devices are. Why is it important to Valpone's plan that the legacy hunters believe that he is really ill?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)