|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Corvino worried that his reputation might be tarnished in court?
2. What is the poem about that Nano recites for Valpone?
3. After Valpone's scuffle with Bonario, who does he assume is at the door when there is a knock?
4. Who arrives at Sir Politic's house in disguise after Celia's trial?
5. According to the rumors, to which country was Sir Politic planning on selling Venice to?
Essay Topic 1
There are many items in the play that are worshiped by the characters and revered almost as if they are religious artifacts. Choose two items in the play that are not religious and explain how these items are revered by characters in the play. How does Jonson create a sense of religion around items that are not religious?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in this play are characterized by their greed, although it is not always a greed of money. Create a list of three things that characters in this play are greedy for, and then choose one character that you think best exemplifies this type of greed and explain why.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the play, Valpone pleads with the audience to learn from the mistakes of the characters in the play. Explain what Valpone meant by this statement and give examples of two characters whose lessons could be learned. Finally, explain whether or not it was effective for Valpone to plead with the audience at the end of the play, and why.
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)