|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the rumors, to which country was Sir Politic planning on selling Venice to?
2. Who is blamed for the misleading case against Celia and Bonario?
3. Which character is sent to be imprisoned and whipped?
4. How does Sir Politic hope to test for the plague in Italy?
5. Why doesn't Bonario enter the room as Mosca suggests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Valpone's plan is eventually revealed to the court, all of the characters involved receive individual and unique punishments. Create a list of the five characters that were involved in Valpone's plan and explain what the punishment for each of the characters was. Then, explain whether or not you believe that the punishments doled out fit the crimes, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Halfway through the play, Mosca is described as parasite rather than a servant. Explain what it means to be a parasite in the text of this play and argue whether or not this is a fair assessment of Mosca's character.
Essay Topic 3
Valpone has two main women in his life, Celia and Lady Would-Be. Briefly describe each woman and explain her relationship with Valpone. Then, describe the ways that they each act to alter Valpone's life and death.
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)