|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who knocks at the door, interrupting Nano's poem?
2. How does Mosca feel about having to deceive so many people?
3. Who lectures Peregrine on how to be a Gentleman in Venice?
4. How does Mosca convince Corbaccio's son that he is sensitive?
5. Who arrives at Sir Politic's house in disguise after Celia's trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Halfway through the play, Mosca is described as parasite rather than a servant. Explain what it means to be a parasite in the text of this play and argue whether or not this is a fair assessment of Mosca's character.
Essay Topic 2
Venice is the setting of the entire play, and a setting that holds a lot of symbolic value in the text. Briefly describe the setting of Venice and the lifestyle that Venice affords to the characters in the play. Explain whether or not you believe Venice to be an appropriate setting for Valpone's tale, and why.
Essay Topic 3
There are many items in the play that are worshiped by the characters and revered almost as if they are religious artifacts. Choose two items in the play that are not religious and explain how these items are revered by characters in the play. How does Jonson create a sense of religion around items that are not religious?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)