|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of trap does Mosca set for Valpone?
2. Which of the following men does NOT join the procession to the courts to press charges against Bonario?
3. How many witnesses do Celia and Bonario call to defend them?
4. According to the visitor, who announced that Sir Politic was planning on selling Venice in open court?
5. Why does Mosca say Bonario injured Valpone?
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the play, Valpone pleads with the audience to learn from the mistakes of the characters in the play. Explain what Valpone meant by this statement and give examples of two characters whose lessons could be learned. Finally, explain whether or not it was effective for Valpone to plead with the audience at the end of the play, and why.
Essay Topic 2
There is a strict caste system in the world in which Valpone resides. Describe each of the levels of the caste system, who lives in each level, and how the levels can be identified by the audience, either through reading the text or watching a production of the play on stage.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, the audience almost always knows more than the characters on stage. Give two examples of times when the audience knows more about the plot of the play than the characters involved, and then explain what kind of relationship is created with the audience when most of the characters in the play are ignorant to the events happening around them.
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)