|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the men that Valpone calls to entertain him while he awaits Mosca's return?
2. While hiding in the animal carcass, what does Sir Politic order his maids to do?
3. According to the visitor, who announced that Sir Politic was planning on selling Venice in open court?
4. Who finds the hiding place for Bonario to overhear the conversations of the night?
5. Why is Celia so surprised to see Valpone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valpone's deception of the legacy hunters is a very broad and winding plan that takes more shape than what he first planned. Explain what Valpone's initial plan of deceit was and how the plan took shape as they play progressed.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, the audience almost always knows more than the characters on stage. Give two examples of times when the audience knows more about the plot of the play than the characters involved, and then explain what kind of relationship is created with the audience when most of the characters in the play are ignorant to the events happening around them.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in this play are characterized by their greed, although it is not always a greed of money. Create a list of three things that characters in this play are greedy for, and then choose one character that you think best exemplifies this type of greed and explain why.
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)