|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Valpone admit that he has been faking his illness?
2. Which of the following characters does NOT enter Valpone's home with the intent to fight against his named heir?
3. How does Sir Politic hope to test for the plague in Italy?
4. What does Celia beg her husband not to endanger?
5. Why doesn't Bonario enter the room as Mosca suggests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valpone has two main women in his life, Celia and Lady Would-Be. Briefly describe each woman and explain her relationship with Valpone. Then, describe the ways that they each act to alter Valpone's life and death.
Essay Topic 2
Valpone spends most of the time in the play pretending to be ill. Give examples of three ways that Valpone pretends to be ill and what the reaction to his devices are. Why is it important to Valpone's plan that the legacy hunters believe that he is really ill?
Essay Topic 3
When Valpone's plan is eventually revealed to the court, all of the characters involved receive individual and unique punishments. Create a list of the five characters that were involved in Valpone's plan and explain what the punishment for each of the characters was. Then, explain whether or not you believe that the punishments doled out fit the crimes, and why.
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)