|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mosca say Bonario injured Valpone?
2. Which of the following organisms are used to describe Mosca?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the characters sent into town to revel in Valpone's new heir?
4. Who is blamed for the misleading case against Celia and Bonario?
5. How does Mosca feel about having to deceive so many people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valpone spends most of the time in the play pretending to be ill. Give examples of three ways that Valpone pretends to be ill and what the reaction to his devices are. Why is it important to Valpone's plan that the legacy hunters believe that he is really ill?
Essay Topic 2
Classism is an important theme throughout the play. Explain how classism functions throughout "Valpone" and give the example of one major event in the play that bucked the system of classism. What is the effect of that action on the characters of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Historians have long struggled to classify "Valpone" as either a tragedy or a comedy. Briefly explain the characteristics of each genre and argue which category you believe "Valpone" belongs to, and why.
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)