|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the men that Valpone calls to entertain him while he awaits Mosca's return?
2. Which article does Mosca remove from Valpone's house that suggests to Valpone that Mosca was trying to overthrow him?
3. Who lectures Peregrine on how to be a Gentleman in Venice?
4. Which of the following themes is Lady Would-Be obsessed with?
5. What is the poem about that Nano recites for Valpone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valpone has three main suitors who seek to work their way into Valpone's will. Describe each of the three suitors and explain each of their methods for attempting to woo Valpone.
Essay Topic 2
Halfway through the play, Mosca is described as parasite rather than a servant. Explain what it means to be a parasite in the text of this play and argue whether or not this is a fair assessment of Mosca's character.
Essay Topic 3
Historians have long struggled to classify "Valpone" as either a tragedy or a comedy. Briefly explain the characteristics of each genre and argue which category you believe "Valpone" belongs to, and why.
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)