|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters decides to don a disguise in the attempts of seeing Celia?
2. What does Corbaccio wish to have restored to him?
3. How does Corbaccio react when he hears that Valpone's health is failing?
4. Who successfully wins the prize that Valpone is offering to the passersby?
5. What sense does Mosca tell Corvino that Valpone has lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Sir Political Would-Be and Peregrine react to the scene of the medicine man's arrival?
2. What happens when Bonario snubs Mosca on the streets?
3. Who is Celia and what is Valpone's reaction to her?
4. How does Corbaccio enter the scene when he comes to visit with Valpone?
5. What happens when Bonario overhears Valpone threatening to rape Celia?
6. What type of acrostic does Jonson employ in his Prologue?
7. How do the legacy hunters react to the news that Valpone has died?
8. What is the reaction of the legacy hunters when they hear that Mosca has been named as Valpone's heir?
9. What type of boasting does Jonson express in his Prologue of the play?
10. How does the audience know that Corbaccio's hearing is failing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poetry is an important theme throughout the novel as it shows the level of education that many of the characters have, and there are many examples of times that poetry is used in the speech of the characters. Give two examples of poems that are used throughout the text of the play and explain how that poem is used to characterize the speaker to the audience.
Essay Topic 2
Halfway through the play, Mosca is described as parasite rather than a servant. Explain what it means to be a parasite in the text of this play and argue whether or not this is a fair assessment of Mosca's character.
Essay Topic 3
Valpone's deception of the legacy hunters is a very broad and winding plan that takes more shape than what he first planned. Explain what Valpone's initial plan of deceit was and how the plan took shape as they play progressed.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)