|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mosca beg Voltore to do when Valpone dies?
2. Where does Corvino press the jewels he has brought for Valpone?
3. What does Jonson express that he hopes his play will be?
4. Who prompted Sir Polical Would-Be to visit Venice?
5. How does Peregrine react to his conversation with Sir Political Would-Be?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the courts find out that Valpone is a liar?
2. How does Mosca react to the news that Valpone has been found out as a liar?
3. What confession does Valpone make to Voltore, and for what purpose?
4. How does Valpone react to the final verdict in the court room?
5. Who is Valpone's heir?
6. What deductions about Sir Political Would-Be's character does Peregrine make during their conversation about travel?
7. What type of dedication does Jonson use in the opening of his Prologue?
8. Why does Jonson lay out the entire plot of his play for the audience?
9. What happens when Bonario overhears Valpone threatening to rape Celia?
10. How does Valpone's behavior change once Voltore has left his sick room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Venice is the setting of the entire play, and a setting that holds a lot of symbolic value in the text. Briefly describe the setting of Venice and the lifestyle that Venice affords to the characters in the play. Explain whether or not you believe Venice to be an appropriate setting for Valpone's tale, and why.
Essay Topic 2Many of the characters in the novel spend much time trying to make another character look like a fool. This act is called "gulling". Choose two examples of gulling as they appear in the text, and explain what the outcomes of these intentions were. In the end, which characters are made to look like the biggest fools of all?
Essay Topic 3Valpone has two main women in his life, Celia and Lady Would-Be. Briefly describe each woman and explain her relationship with Valpone. Then, describe the ways that they each act to alter Valpone's life and death.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)