Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Voltore do for a living?
2. When is the only time Celia is allowed to leave the house?
3. Why have Nano, Castrone, and Androgyno come to visit with Valpone?
4. How does Corvino plan to block Celia's window?
5. How does Mosca claim Valpone feels about his bastard children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What case does Voltore draw against Bonario?
2. What gifts does Corbaccio bring to Valpone when he visits?
3. How does Corvino respond to the Medicine Man's presence in his home?
4. Why do Corbaccio, Voltore, and Mosca head to the courts to press charges?
5. What case does Voltore draw against Celia?
6. How does Valpone feel about Lady Political Would-Be?
7. What does Mosca confess to Voltore when he is showing him out of Valpone's room?
8. What plot does Mosca attempt to trick Corvino into joining with him, and what is Corvino's reaction?
9. How does Corvino react to Valpone's physical state when he enters the room during their first visit?
10. How does Valpone react to the final verdict in the court room?
Essay Topic 1
There is a strict caste system in the world in which Valpone resides. Describe each of the levels of the caste system, who lives in each level, and how the levels can be identified by the audience, either through reading the text or watching a production of the play on stage.
Essay Topic 2
Valpone spends most of the time in the play pretending to be ill. Give examples of three ways that Valpone pretends to be ill and what the reaction to his devices are. Why is it important to Valpone's plan that the legacy hunters believe that he is really ill?
Essay Topic 3
Venice is the setting of the entire play, and a setting that holds a lot of symbolic value in the text. Briefly describe the setting of Venice and the lifestyle that Venice affords to the characters in the play. Explain whether or not you believe Venice to be an appropriate setting for Valpone's tale, and why.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)