Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Voltore do for a living?
2. When is the only time Celia is allowed to leave the house?
3. Why have Nano, Castrone, and Androgyno come to visit with Valpone?
4. How does Corvino plan to block Celia's window?
5. How does Mosca claim Valpone feels about his bastard children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What case does Voltore draw against Bonario?
2. What gifts does Corbaccio bring to Valpone when he visits?
3. How does Corvino respond to the Medicine Man's presence in his home?
4. Why do Corbaccio, Voltore, and Mosca head to the courts to press charges?
5. What case does Voltore draw against Celia?
6. How does Valpone feel about Lady Political Would-Be?
7. What does Mosca confess to Voltore when he is showing him out of Valpone's room?
8. What plot does Mosca attempt to trick Corvino into joining with him, and what is Corvino's reaction?
9. How does Corvino react to Valpone's physical state when he enters the room during their first visit?
10. How does Valpone react to the final verdict in the court room?
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in the play spend time on the stage in disguise. Explain two disguises that were used by characters in the play and what effect the disguises had on the plot of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, the audience almost always knows more than the characters on stage. Give two examples of times when the audience knows more about the plot of the play than the characters involved, and then explain what kind of relationship is created with the audience when most of the characters in the play are ignorant to the events happening around them.
Essay Topic 3
When Valpone's plan is eventually revealed to the court, all of the characters involved receive individual and unique punishments. Create a list of the five characters that were involved in Valpone's plan and explain what the punishment for each of the characters was. Then, explain whether or not you believe that the punishments doled out fit the crimes, and why.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)