|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Celia treated by her husband?
2. Who does Mosca tell that Valpone has named his heir?
3. What is the first letter of Jonson's acrostic?
4. What do Corvino and Mosca discuss, thinking that Valpone cannot hear them?
5. What does Valpone say in response to the gift that Voltore has given him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mosca react to the news that he has been named as Valpone's heir?
2. How does Corvino punish Celia for her conversations with the Medicine Man?
3. How do Sir Political Would-Be and Peregrine react to the scene of the medicine man's arrival?
4. How does the audience know that Corbaccio's hearing is failing?
5. How does Corbaccio's arrival at Valpone's home after Bonario has left open the door for a new plan to hatch in their scheme to disinherit Corbaccio's son?
6. In his soliloquy to the audience, what realizations about himself does Mosca make?
7. How does Nano attempt to entertain Valpone when he comes to visit?
8. How does Lady Would-Be treat Peregrine when she intercepts his conversation with Sir Politic?
9. Why do Corbaccio, Voltore, and Mosca head to the courts to press charges?
10. What plan does Sir Politic entrust with Peregrine after discussing how to become a gentleman in Venice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many items in the play that are worshiped by the characters and revered almost as if they are religious artifacts. Choose two items in the play that are not religious and explain how these items are revered by characters in the play. How does Jonson create a sense of religion around items that are not religious?
Essay Topic 2
Poetry is an important theme throughout the novel as it shows the level of education that many of the characters have, and there are many examples of times that poetry is used in the speech of the characters. Give two examples of poems that are used throughout the text of the play and explain how that poem is used to characterize the speaker to the audience.
Essay Topic 3
Most of the characters in the novel have an animal that is associated with their names. Choose two characters in the play and explain the animal that is associated with their names. Then, explain whether or not you believe this animal to be an appropriate association with the character, and why.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)