|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Sir Political Would-Be and Peregrine discussing as they sit outside Corvino's home?
2. What event does Corvino tell his wife to dress for after his conversation with Mosca?
3. What does Valpone tell Mosca is the best way to spend riches?
4. Who shows Voltore into Valpone's room?
5. Why have Nano, Castrone, and Androgyno come to visit with Valpone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Valpone feel about his accrued wealth?
2. Who is Sir Political Would-Be?
3. What do Mosca and Corvino discuss when they think Valpone cannot hear them?
4. How do Sir Political Would-Be and Peregrine react to the scene of the medicine man's arrival?
5. How does Corvino react to Valpone's physical state when he enters the room during their first visit?
6. What is the reaction of the legacy hunters when they hear that Mosca has been named as Valpone's heir?
7. Who is Valpone's heir?
8. How does Nano attempt to entertain Valpone when he comes to visit?
9. Why do Corbaccio, Voltore, and Mosca head to the courts to press charges?
10. How do the courts find out that Valpone is a liar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many items in the play that are worshiped by the characters and revered almost as if they are religious artifacts. Choose two items in the play that are not religious and explain how these items are revered by characters in the play. How does Jonson create a sense of religion around items that are not religious?
Essay Topic 2
Classism is an important theme throughout the play. Explain how classism functions throughout "Valpone" and give the example of one major event in the play that bucked the system of classism. What is the effect of that action on the characters of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Valpone spends most of the time in the play pretending to be ill. Give examples of three ways that Valpone pretends to be ill and what the reaction to his devices are. Why is it important to Valpone's plan that the legacy hunters believe that he is really ill?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)