|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which part of Corbaccio is failing?
2. How does Valpone respond to Nano's tracing of his soul?
3. How long has Valpone been pretending to be sick when Voltoro arrives?
4. Who does Mosca claim offered their virginal daughter to Valpone?
5. What is the name of Valpone's character when he arrives at Celia's?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lady Would-Be treat Peregrine when she intercepts his conversation with Sir Politic?
2. What happens when Bonario overhears Valpone threatening to rape Celia?
3. Why does Jonson lay out the entire plot of his play for the audience?
4. What deductions about Sir Political Would-Be's character does Peregrine make during their conversation about travel?
5. What does Mosca tell Corvino is the one thing he can do to help save Valpone's life?
6. How does Valpone feel about Lady Political Would-Be?
7. How does Valpone elicit Celia to throw down her handkerchief?
8. What is the reaction of the legacy hunters when they hear that Mosca has been named as Valpone's heir?
9. What gifts does Corbaccio bring to Valpone when he visits?
10. What con is Valpone pulling over the Venetian businessmen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Halfway through the play, Mosca is described as parasite rather than a servant. Explain what it means to be a parasite in the text of this play and argue whether or not this is a fair assessment of Mosca's character.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the play, Valpone pleads with the audience to learn from the mistakes of the characters in the play. Explain what Valpone meant by this statement and give examples of two characters whose lessons could be learned. Finally, explain whether or not it was effective for Valpone to plead with the audience at the end of the play, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Valpone has two main women in his life, Celia and Lady Would-Be. Briefly describe each woman and explain her relationship with Valpone. Then, describe the ways that they each act to alter Valpone's life and death.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)