|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a character that Mosca claims is one of Valpone's children?
2. Why does Mosca hurry Voltore out the door after his visit with Valpone?
3. How does Valpone feel about doctors?
4. What do the Venetian businessmen gift to Valpone in the hopes of working their way into his will?
5. What two jewels has Corvino brought for Valpone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Valpone's behavior change once Voltore has left his sick room?
2. What confession does Valpone make to Voltore, and for what purpose?
3. What plan does Mosca hatch to get Corbaccio into Valpone's will?
4. How do Sir Political Would-Be and Peregrine react to the scene of the medicine man's arrival?
5. How does Valpone elicit Celia to throw down her handkerchief?
6. What do Mosca and Corvino discuss when they think Valpone cannot hear them?
7. How does Valpone feel about his accrued wealth?
8. How does Corvino react to Valpone's physical state when he enters the room during their first visit?
9. How does the audience know that Corbaccio's hearing is failing?
10. What is the setting of this play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Classism is an important theme throughout the play. Explain how classism functions throughout "Valpone" and give the example of one major event in the play that bucked the system of classism. What is the effect of that action on the characters of the play?
Essay Topic 2
The truth of Valpone's plan is eventually revealed through a series of events that lead to Valpone's demise. Explain how the court system eventually found out about Valpone's deceit and what effect it had on the court cases that were being tried at that time.
Essay Topic 3
Valpone's deception of the legacy hunters is a very broad and winding plan that takes more shape than what he first planned. Explain what Valpone's initial plan of deceit was and how the plan took shape as they play progressed.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)