|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why have Nano, Castrone, and Androgyno come to visit with Valpone?
2. What term does Valpone use to describe his three unusual visitors?
3. How does Corvino respond to Mosca's proposal of violence?
4. Where does Corvino press the jewels he has brought for Valpone?
5. In what country have Sir Political Would-Be and Peregrine met?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Voltore overhears Corbaccio and Mosca discussing Valpone's will?
2. How does Corbaccio enter the scene when he comes to visit with Valpone?
3. When Mosca converses with Corvino, what does he tell him has begun to cure Valpone's ailments?
4. What is Valpone's punishment for misleading the courts?
5. What confession does Valpone make to Voltore, and for what purpose?
6. How does Peregrine exact his revenge against Sir Politic?
7. What con is Valpone pulling over the Venetian businessmen?
8. What case does Voltore draw against Celia?
9. What role do Nano and Mosca play in Valpone's hopes of visiting with Celia?
10. How does the audience know that Corbaccio's hearing is failing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Classism is an important theme throughout the play. Explain how classism functions throughout "Valpone" and give the example of one major event in the play that bucked the system of classism. What is the effect of that action on the characters of the play?
Essay Topic 2
The truth of Valpone's plan is eventually revealed through a series of events that lead to Valpone's demise. Explain how the court system eventually found out about Valpone's deceit and what effect it had on the court cases that were being tried at that time.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in the novel spend much time trying to make another character look like a fool. This act is called "gulling". Choose two examples of gulling as they appear in the text, and explain what the outcomes of these intentions were. In the end, which characters are made to look like the biggest fools of all?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)