|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What confession does Valpone make to Voltore during their visit?
2. What nationality is Peregrine?
3. What literary technique does Jonson use to write the opening of the play?
4. Who is married to Celia?
5. What topic does Corbaccio vocally argue with Valpone about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What confession does Valpone make to Voltore, and for what purpose?
2. How does Peregrine treat Sir Political Would-Be once he realizes that the man is gullible?
3. How does Corbaccio's arrival at Valpone's home after Bonario has left open the door for a new plan to hatch in their scheme to disinherit Corbaccio's son?
4. How do the legacy hunters react to the news that Valpone has died?
5. What type of boasting does Jonson express in his Prologue of the play?
6. How does Peregrine exact his revenge against Sir Politic?
7. How does Valpone elicit Celia to throw down her handkerchief?
8. What plan does Mosca hatch to get Corbaccio into Valpone's will?
9. How does the audience know that Corbaccio's hearing is failing?
10. What deductions about Sir Political Would-Be's character does Peregrine make during their conversation about travel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play, the audience almost always knows more than the characters on stage. Give two examples of times when the audience knows more about the plot of the play than the characters involved, and then explain what kind of relationship is created with the audience when most of the characters in the play are ignorant to the events happening around them.
Essay Topic 2
There is a strict caste system in the world in which Valpone resides. Describe each of the levels of the caste system, who lives in each level, and how the levels can be identified by the audience, either through reading the text or watching a production of the play on stage.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the play, Valpone pleads with the audience to learn from the mistakes of the characters in the play. Explain what Valpone meant by this statement and give examples of two characters whose lessons could be learned. Finally, explain whether or not it was effective for Valpone to plead with the audience at the end of the play, and why.
This section contains 1,677 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)