|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Corvino respond to Mosca's proposal of violence?
2. Why does Valpone allegedly admire lawyers?
3. What do the Venetian businessmen gift to Valpone in the hopes of working their way into his will?
4. Which of the following best describes the character Castrone?
5. What does Jonson say is the reason why he wants to write a play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the legacy hunters react to the news that Valpone has died?
2. What is the reaction of the legacy hunters when they hear that Mosca has been named as Valpone's heir?
3. How does Valpone act once Voltore is in the room for his visit?
4. Who is Voltoro?
5. How does Celia react when she figures out her husband's plan to work his way into Valpone's will?
6. How does the audience know that Corbaccio's hearing is failing?
7. What type of dedication does Jonson use in the opening of his Prologue?
8. How does Valpone feel about his accrued wealth?
9. What happens when Voltore overhears Corbaccio and Mosca discussing Valpone's will?
10. What plan does Sir Politic entrust with Peregrine after discussing how to become a gentleman in Venice?
Essay Topic 1
Valpone spends most of the time in the play pretending to be ill. Give examples of three ways that Valpone pretends to be ill and what the reaction to his devices are. Why is it important to Valpone's plan that the legacy hunters believe that he is really ill?
Essay Topic 2
Classism is an important theme throughout the play. Explain how classism functions throughout "Valpone" and give the example of one major event in the play that bucked the system of classism. What is the effect of that action on the characters of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in the novel spend much time trying to make another character look like a fool. This act is called "gulling". Choose two examples of gulling as they appear in the text, and explain what the outcomes of these intentions were. In the end, which characters are made to look like the biggest fools of all?
This section contains 1,671 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)