|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Valpone feel about doctors?
2. How long has Peregrine been traveling away from England?
3. What term does Valpone use to describe his three unusual visitors?
4. What two jewels has Corvino brought for Valpone?
5. Who does Valpone enlist to be his number one man in making Celia his?
Short Essay Questions
1. What con is Valpone pulling over the Venetian businessmen?
2. Why does Jonson lay out the entire plot of his play for the audience?
3. How does the audience know that Corbaccio's hearing is failing?
4. What is Valpone's punishment for misleading the courts?
5. What role do Nano and Mosca play in Valpone's hopes of visiting with Celia?
6. How does Mosca get Lady Political Would-Be to leave Valpone's home so they can discuss finances?
7. How does Corvino punish Celia for her conversations with the Medicine Man?
8. Who is Celia and what is Valpone's reaction to her?
9. How does Mosca react to the news that Valpone has been found out as a liar?
10. How does Corvino respond to the Medicine Man's presence in his home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valpone has two main women in his life, Celia and Lady Would-Be. Briefly describe each woman and explain her relationship with Valpone. Then, describe the ways that they each act to alter Valpone's life and death.
Essay Topic 2
Poetry is an important theme throughout the novel as it shows the level of education that many of the characters have, and there are many examples of times that poetry is used in the speech of the characters. Give two examples of poems that are used throughout the text of the play and explain how that poem is used to characterize the speaker to the audience.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in the novel spend much time trying to make another character look like a fool. This act is called "gulling". Choose two examples of gulling as they appear in the text, and explain what the outcomes of these intentions were. In the end, which characters are made to look like the biggest fools of all?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)