|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the character Androgyno?
2. What is Valpone pretending to do when Corbaccio enters the room?
3. What nationality is Peregrine?
4. What is the powder that Valpone offers as a prize meant to restore?
5. Which of the following best describes the character Castrone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nano attempt to entertain Valpone when he comes to visit?
2. How does Valpone feel about his accrued wealth?
3. How does Corbaccio's arrival at Valpone's home after Bonario has left open the door for a new plan to hatch in their scheme to disinherit Corbaccio's son?
4. What role does Valpone play in his own court case?
5. What plot does Mosca attempt to trick Corvino into joining with him, and what is Corvino's reaction?
6. How does Valpone react to Mosca's torment of Voltore?
7. How do the legacy hunters react to the news that Valpone has died?
8. What happens when Bonario snubs Mosca on the streets?
9. How does Sir Politic react to the gossip that Peregrine is spreading about him?
10. What is Valpone's punishment for misleading the courts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valpone spends most of the time in the play pretending to be ill. Give examples of three ways that Valpone pretends to be ill and what the reaction to his devices are. Why is it important to Valpone's plan that the legacy hunters believe that he is really ill?
Essay Topic 2
The truth of Valpone's plan is eventually revealed through a series of events that lead to Valpone's demise. Explain how the court system eventually found out about Valpone's deceit and what effect it had on the court cases that were being tried at that time.
Essay Topic 3
Poetry is an important theme throughout the novel as it shows the level of education that many of the characters have, and there are many examples of times that poetry is used in the speech of the characters. Give two examples of poems that are used throughout the text of the play and explain how that poem is used to characterize the speaker to the audience.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)