Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Voltore do for a living?
2. When is the only time Celia is allowed to leave the house?
3. Why have Nano, Castrone, and Androgyno come to visit with Valpone?
4. How does Corvino plan to block Celia's window?
5. How does Mosca claim Valpone feels about his bastard children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What case does Voltore draw against Bonario?
2. What gifts does Corbaccio bring to Valpone when he visits?
3. How does Corvino respond to the Medicine Man's presence in his home?
4. Why do Corbaccio, Voltore, and Mosca head to the courts to press charges?
5. What case does Voltore draw against Celia?
6. How does Valpone feel about Lady Political Would-Be?
7. What does Mosca confess to Voltore when he is showing him out of Valpone's room?
8. What plot does Mosca attempt to trick Corvino into joining with him, and what is Corvino's reaction?
9. How does Corvino react to Valpone's physical state when he enters the room during their first visit?
10. How does Valpone react to the final verdict in the court room?
At the end of the play, Valpone pleads with the audience to learn from the mistakes of the characters in the play. Explain what Valpone meant by this statement and give examples of two characters whose lessons could be learned. Finally, explain whether or not it was effective for Valpone to plead with the audience at the end of the play, and why.
Many of the characters in the novel spend much time trying to make another character look like a fool. This act is called "gulling". Choose two examples of gulling as they appear in the text, and explain what the outcomes of these intentions were. In the end, which characters are made to look like the biggest fools of all?
Valpone's deception of the legacy hunters is a very broad and winding plan that takes more shape than what he first planned. Explain what Valpone's initial plan of deceit was and how the plan took shape as they play progressed.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)