|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal is Mosca's name associated with?
2. What article does Valpone urge passersby to throw to him in the hopes of winning a prize?
3. What is Valpone selling when he arrives at Celia's home?
4. What two jewels has Corvino brought for Valpone?
5. What nationality is Peregrine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mosca tell Corvino is the one thing he can do to help save Valpone's life?
2. How do the courts find out that Valpone is a liar?
3. How does Mosca get Lady Political Would-Be to leave Valpone's home so they can discuss finances?
4. In his soliloquy to the audience, what realizations about himself does Mosca make?
5. Why does Jonson lay out the entire plot of his play for the audience?
6. How are Nano, Castrone, and Androgyno defined in the text?
7. How does Corbaccio enter the scene when he comes to visit with Valpone?
8. How does Valpone react to the final verdict in the court room?
9. What confession does Valpone make to Voltore, and for what purpose?
10. What case does Voltore draw against Bonario?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valpone has two main women in his life, Celia and Lady Would-Be. Briefly describe each woman and explain her relationship with Valpone. Then, describe the ways that they each act to alter Valpone's life and death.
Essay Topic 2
There is a strict caste system in the world in which Valpone resides. Describe each of the levels of the caste system, who lives in each level, and how the levels can be identified by the audience, either through reading the text or watching a production of the play on stage.
Essay Topic 3
Valpone has three main suitors who seek to work their way into Valpone's will. Describe each of the three suitors and explain each of their methods for attempting to woo Valpone.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)