|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who successfully wins the prize that Valpone is offering to the passersby?
2. What does Valpone do for a living?
3. What article does Valpone urge passersby to throw to him in the hopes of winning a prize?
4. What is Valpone selling when he arrives at Celia's home?
5. How much of the plot of the play does Jonson spell out for the reader in the opening?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Voltoro?
2. How does Mosca react to the news that Valpone has been found out as a liar?
3. What does Mosca tell Corvino is the one thing he can do to help save Valpone's life?
4. What type of boasting does Jonson express in his Prologue of the play?
5. What gifts does Corbaccio bring to Valpone when he visits?
6. How does Corvino respond to the Medicine Man's presence in his home?
7. What case does Voltore draw against Bonario?
8. What type of dedication does Jonson use in the opening of his Prologue?
9. How does Valpone react to Mosca's torment of Voltore?
10. What plan does Mosca hatch to get Corbaccio into Valpone's will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valpone has three main suitors who seek to work their way into Valpone's will. Describe each of the three suitors and explain each of their methods for attempting to woo Valpone.
Essay Topic 2
When Valpone's plan is eventually revealed to the court, all of the characters involved receive individual and unique punishments. Create a list of the five characters that were involved in Valpone's plan and explain what the punishment for each of the characters was. Then, explain whether or not you believe that the punishments doled out fit the crimes, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Valpone spends most of the time in the play pretending to be ill. Give examples of three ways that Valpone pretends to be ill and what the reaction to his devices are. Why is it important to Valpone's plan that the legacy hunters believe that he is really ill?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)