|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jonson say is the reason why he wants to write a play?
(a) He wants to see his own name in print.
(b) He wants to create something enjoyable.
(c) He wants to tell stories; they are in his blood.
(d) He wants to create a piece of artwork.
2. Why does Mosca hurry Voltore out the door after his visit with Valpone?
(a) Because Voltore does not have enough money to stay longer.
(b) Because Voltore can see that Valpone is not really sick.
(c) Because Mosca does not want Valpone to overhear their conversation.
(d) To make room for another visitor.
3. What does Voltore gift to Valpone when he comes for a visit?
(a) A silver cup.
(b) A diamond ring.
(c) A brass candelabra.
(d) A gold plate.
4. Who interrupts Nano's tale of Valpone's soul with a knock at the door?
5. How does Peregrine react to his conversation with Sir Political Would-Be?
(a) He ignores Sir Politic completely.
(b) He is afraid of Sir Politic's temper.
(c) He is pleased to see him.
(d) He is annoyed with their conversation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What article does Valpone urge passersby to throw to him in the hopes of winning a prize?
2. What nationality is Peregrine?
3. How many lines is the Prologue of the play?
4. Who does Mosca claim offered their virginal daughter to Valpone?
5. After Corvino leaves, what does Valpone urge his entertainers to prepare for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the legacy hunters react to the news that Valpone has died?
2. How does Corbaccio's arrival at Valpone's home after Bonario has left open the door for a new plan to hatch in their scheme to disinherit Corbaccio's son?
3. What does Mosca tell Corvino is the one thing he can do to help save Valpone's life?
4. What is the reaction of the legacy hunters when they hear that Mosca has been named as Valpone's heir?
5. What confession does Valpone make to Voltore, and for what purpose?
6. How do Sir Political Would-Be and Peregrine react to the scene of the medicine man's arrival?
7. In his soliloquy to the audience, what realizations about himself does Mosca make?
8. Why does Jonson lay out the entire plot of his play for the audience?
9. What is Valpone's punishment for misleading the courts?
10. How does Corvino punish Celia for her conversations with the Medicine Man?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)