|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What article does Valpone urge passersby to throw to him in the hopes of winning a prize?
(a) Their hankerchiefs.
(b) Their scarves.
(c) Their hats.
(d) Their gloves.
2. After Corvino leaves, what does Valpone urge his entertainers to prepare for?
(a) A war.
(b) A feast.
(c) A ball.
(d) A party.
3. What is Valpone willing to sacrifice in order to make Celia his?
(a) His youth.
(b) His wealth.
(c) His health.
(d) His disguise.
4. How does Corvino think Celia has betrayed him?
(a) Through plotting to run away with the Medicine Man.
(b) Through her conversation with the Medicine Man.
(c) Through kissing the Medicine Man.
(d) Through her stroking of the Medicine Man's face.
5. When Volotre arrives, what does Valpone rush to change into?
(a) His pajamas.
(b) His old school uniform.
(c) His sick clothes.
(d) His riding clothes.
6. What is Valpone lying about to the Venetian businessmen who have befriended him?
(a) His occupation.
(b) His financial status.
(c) His name.
(d) His health.
7. Who successfully wins the prize that Valpone is offering to the passersby?
(b) Lady Politcal Would-Be.
(c) Sir Political Would-Be.
8. What does Valpone do for a living?
(a) He is a philosopher.
(b) He is a doctor.
(c) He is a con man.
(d) He is an artist.
9. How does Valpone react to Corbaccio's second gift?
(a) He refuses the gift.
(b) He tells Corbaccio that it is all too much.
(c) He is pleased with the gift.
(d) He adds the gift to his accumulating pile without acknowledging it.
10. What do Corvino and Mosca discuss, thinking that Valpone cannot hear them?
(a) How disgusting Valpone's body is.
(b) How much Valpone lies to the world.
(c) How Valpone has no respect for women.
(d) How abusive Valpone is to his hired help.
11. To which of the following universities does Jonson first dedicate his play?
(a) Stanford University.
(b) Harvard University.
(c) Oxford University.
(d) Princeton University.
12. Who shows Voltore into Valpone's room?
13. How long does Jonson say it took him to write the entire play?
(a) Five years.
(b) Five months.
(c) Five days.
(d) Five weeks.
14. What does Jonson hope is the main thing audiences take away from his play?
15. From what part of her body is Celia dragged by Corvino after the visit from the Medicine Man?
(a) Her leg.
(b) Her hair.
(c) Her arm.
(d) Her clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What confession does Valpone make to Voltore during their visit?
2. Which of the following adjectives best describes Celia?
3. Who is married to Celia?
4. How does Peregrine react to his conversation with Sir Political Would-Be?
5. What do the Venetian businessmen gift to Valpone in the hopes of working their way into his will?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)