|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Corbaccio gift to Valpone after hearing that Voltore was there earlier?
(a) A bag of coins.
(b) The feather from his hat.
(c) His watch.
(d) His silver shoestrings.
2. Where does Corvino press the jewels he has brought for Valpone?
(a) Next to Valpone's ear.
(b) Against Valpone's temple.
(c) Against Valpone's heart.
(d) Into Valpone's hand.
3. What does Jonson hope is the main thing audiences take away from his play?
4. How does Valpone react to the "private" conversation Mosca has with Voltore when escorting him away from the house?
(a) Valpone is angered by the conversation.
(b) Valpone is confused by the conversation.
(c) Valpone is pleased with the conversation.
(d) Valpone is offended by the conversation.
5. What does Corbaccio bring as a gift for Valpone?
(a) A gold plate.
(b) A vial of medicine.
(c) A bouquet of flowers.
(d) A new puppy.
6. Which of the following best describes the character Nano?
(a) He is a dwarf.
(b) He is a eunuch.
(c) He is a giant.
(d) He is a hermaphrodite.
7. What is Valpone selling when he arrives at Celia's home?
(a) Religious text.
8. What term does Valpone use to describe his three unusual visitors?
9. In what country does Valpone live?
10. Which of the following adjectives best describes Celia?
11. What role are the two men playing for Valpone when they arrive at Celia's home?
12. What does Valpone tell Mosca is the best way to spend riches?
(a) To think about each purchase and what impact it will make on the riches.
(b) To spend riches as soon as they are earned.
(c) To save money so that it can be passed on to the next generation.
(d) To save the riches for as long as possible before spending it.
13. Which is the second university that Jonson dedicates his play to?
(a) Cambridge University.
(b) New York University.
(c) Brown University.
(d) East Anglia University.
14. What type of story does Nano tell Valpone when he first arrives at his home?
(a) An allegory.
(b) A dream.
(c) A metaphor.
(d) A fable.
15. After Corvino leaves, what does Valpone urge his entertainers to prepare for?
(a) A ball.
(b) A party.
(c) A feast.
(d) A war.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Jonson say it took him to write the entire play?
2. What does Valpone say that riches are better than?
3. What does Voltore gift to Valpone when he comes for a visit?
4. What nationality is Peregrine?
5. What does Mosca say is helping to cure Valpone's ailments?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)