|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Valpone allegedly admire lawyers?
(a) For their salaries.
(b) For their compassion.
(c) For their impeccable taste in suits.
(d) For their cunning.
2. Which is the second university that Jonson dedicates his play to?
(a) East Anglia University.
(b) Brown University.
(c) New York University.
(d) Cambridge University.
3. What does Jonson hope is the main thing audiences take away from his play?
4. What does Voltore gift to Valpone when he comes for a visit?
(a) A silver cup.
(b) A diamond ring.
(c) A gold plate.
(d) A brass candelabra.
5. Which of the following characters decides to don a disguise in the attempts of seeing Celia?
6. What term does Valpone use to describe his three unusual visitors?
7. In what country have Sir Political Would-Be and Peregrine met?
8. What does Corbaccio gift to Valpone after hearing that Voltore was there earlier?
(a) A bag of coins.
(b) The feather from his hat.
(c) His silver shoestrings.
(d) His watch.
9. Who does Mosca claim offered their virginal daughter to Valpone?
(a) The doctor.
(b) The priest.
(c) The butcher.
(d) The seamstress.
10. What are Sir Political Would-Be and Peregrine discussing as they sit outside Corvino's home?
11. What is Valpone pretending to be doing when Corvino enters the room?
12. What does Valpone tell Mosca is the best way to spend riches?
(a) To save the riches for as long as possible before spending it.
(b) To spend riches as soon as they are earned.
(c) To think about each purchase and what impact it will make on the riches.
(d) To save money so that it can be passed on to the next generation.
13. Where does Corvino press the jewels he has brought for Valpone?
(a) Next to Valpone's ear.
(b) Against Valpone's heart.
(c) Against Valpone's temple.
(d) Into Valpone's hand.
14. Who does Mosca tell Voltore he is sure will be named Valpone's heir?
15. What does Corbaccio bring as a gift for Valpone?
(a) A vial of medicine.
(b) A new puppy.
(c) A gold plate.
(d) A bouquet of flowers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of the plot of the play does Jonson spell out for the reader in the opening?
2. How many lines is the Prologue of the play?
3. To which of the following universities does Jonson first dedicate his play?
4. What does Jonson express that he hopes his play will be?
5. How long does Valpone tell Lady Would-Be to wait before returning to him?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)