|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the character Androgyno?
(a) He is a dwarf.
(b) He is a eunuch.
(c) He is a hermaphrodite.
(d) He is a giant.
2. How much of the plot of the play does Jonson spell out for the reader in the opening?
(a) None of it.
(b) More than half of it.
(c) All of it.
(d) Less than half of it.
3. Which of the following is NOT a reason Mosca gives to Corbaccio for renaming Valpone as his own heir?
(a) Corbaccio's family is dishonest and plotting to kill the old man themselves.
(b) Valpone will greatly appreciate the gesture.
(c) Valpone will be forced to return the favor by renaming Corbaccio as his heir.
(d) Corbaccio will surely outlive Valpone and can change his will again later.
4. Who does Nano trace Valpone's soul back to?
5. Which of the following adjectives best describes Jonson's narrative voice?
6. How does Corbaccio react when he hears that Valpone's health is failing?
(a) He is excited.
(b) He is deeply saddened.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is apathetic.
7. What is an acrostic?
(a) A type of fabric.
(b) A poem.
(c) An insect.
(d) A weapon.
8. What does Mosca tell Corvino is the one thing left that can help save Valpone's life?
(a) The blood of a healthy man.
(b) A male companion.
(c) A female companion.
(d) A specific herb.
9. What does Valpone do for a living?
(a) He is a con man.
(b) He is a doctor.
(c) He is a philosopher.
(d) He is an artist.
10. Who does Valpone enlist to be his number one man in making Celia his?
11. Who is responsible for identifying the two men when they arrive at Celia's home?
(b) Sir Political Would-Be.
(c) Lady Political Would-Be.
12. After Corvino leaves, what does Valpone urge his entertainers to prepare for?
(a) A party.
(b) A ball.
(c) A war.
(d) A feast.
13. Who does Mosca tell that Valpone has named his heir?
14. In what country does Valpone live?
15. What article does Valpone urge passersby to throw to him in the hopes of winning a prize?
(a) Their gloves.
(b) Their hankerchiefs.
(c) Their scarves.
(d) Their hats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Valpone claim wounded him during his scuffle with Corvino?
2. How does Mosca claim Valpone feels about his bastard children?
3. What do Corvino and Mosca discuss, thinking that Valpone cannot hear them?
4. To which of the following universities does Jonson first dedicate his play?
5. Why does Mosca hurry Voltore out the door after his visit with Valpone?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)