|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the powder that Valpone offers as a prize meant to restore?
(b) Lost souls.
2. Which of the following best describes Valpone's behavior when Voltore is in the room?
3. What does Valpone tell Mosca is the best way to spend riches?
(a) To spend riches as soon as they are earned.
(b) To save money so that it can be passed on to the next generation.
(c) To save the riches for as long as possible before spending it.
(d) To think about each purchase and what impact it will make on the riches.
4. Which of the following characters decides to don a disguise in the attempts of seeing Celia?
5. Which of the following best describes the character Nano?
(a) He is a dwarf.
(b) He is a giant.
(c) He is a eunuch.
(d) He is a hermaphrodite.
6. Who does Mosca tell Voltore he is sure will be named Valpone's heir?
7. What does Corbaccio wish to have restored to him?
(a) His family.
(b) His fortune.
(c) His youth.
(d) His speech.
8. How does Valpone respond to Nano's tracing of his soul?
(a) He begins to shout.
(b) He begins to sing.
(c) He begins to swear.
(d) He begins to shake.
9. How long does Jonson say it took him to write the entire play?
(a) Five weeks.
(b) Five days.
(c) Five months.
(d) Five years.
10. How does Sir Political Would-Be describe the two men who arrive at Celia's house?
(b) Wise men.
11. Who does Nano trace Valpone's soul back to?
12. How does Peregrine describe the local men who deal with medicine?
(a) As quacks.
(b) As fools.
(c) As heroes.
(d) As deceivers.
13. What two jewels has Corvino brought for Valpone?
(a) A sapphire and a garnet.
(b) A pearl and a diamond.
(c) An emerald and a ruby.
(d) An opal and an amethyst.
14. Who interrupts Nano's tale of Valpone's soul with a knock at the door?
15. How is Celia treated by her husband?
(a) Like a prisoner.
(b) Like a child.
(c) Like a queen.
(d) Like an animal.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country have Sir Political Would-Be and Peregrine met?
2. What does Mosca say is helping to cure Valpone's ailments?
3. After Corvino leaves, what does Valpone urge his entertainers to prepare for?
4. What event does Corvino tell his wife to dress for after his conversation with Mosca?
5. Who does Mosca claim offered their virginal daughter to Valpone?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)