|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hurston say about Negro art?
2. What does Hurston examine in "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual"?
3. Who believes Africans did not add any words to the English language?
4. Why do people in the village go to visit Uncle Monday in "Uncle Monday"?
5. Which of the following is NOT a poem written by Countee Cullen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the perception and depiction of Harlem in "Voices from the Harlem Renaissance". Compare and contrast the different images we are given of this city in relationship to its inhabitants as well as cultural and artistic connections.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the tolerance of racism in Negros and whites. How do they both demonstrate a tolerance to this accepted behavior?Do they begin to demonstrate a movement towards equality within the two races? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how "The Negro Digs up His Past" by Arthur A. Schomburg and "George S. Schuyler's "Our Greatest Gift to America" discuss the idea that the greatest of the Negro race are dissociated with the race as a whole and what both find in the Negroes reaction to this idea.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)