|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose growls are heard by the people at the end of "Uncle Monday"?
2. What type of music is in "The Banjo Player"?
3. What is the title of Hughes's poem that points out that artistic endeavors can release the "hurt in your heart"?
4. Who is always one step higher than the Negroes, according to Schuyler?
5. What does Cullen seem to indicate about heaven in her poem "She of the Dancing Feet Sings"?
Essay Topic 1
Considering Effie from Fisher's story "Blades of Steel", compare and contrast the women of today's society with the women of the early 1900s. Explain how Effie demonstrates a direct mentality of the women during the early 1900s.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what Locke means when he uses the term "American Negro". Also discuss how this term fits with his idea of Negroes behavior as a stereotype.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the perception and depiction of Harlem in "Voices from the Harlem Renaissance". Compare and contrast the different images we are given of this city in relationship to its inhabitants as well as cultural and artistic connections.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)