|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
2. How many facts does the author present in "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
3. What is the name of the host and novelist in Thurman's story?
4. What is the title of the 3 line poem?
5. Who argues that Negroes did alter the English language?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what Georgia Douglas Johnson's poem, "Old Black Men" addresses.
2. Discuss what Locke addresses in "Art or Propaganda".
3. Discuss what the singing stone is in "Uncle Monday" by Hurston.
4. Discuss what Hurston examines in "Spirituals and Neo-Spirituals".
5. Discuss what happens in "Go Down Death" by James Weldon Johnson.
6. Discuss what "Fifty Years" by James Weldon Johnson addresses and is significant to.
7. Discuss what Hughes addresses in his essay, "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
8. Explain what Schuyler's essay "Our Greatest Gift to America" is about.
9. Describe Uncle Monday in "Uncle Monday" by Hurston.
10. Discuss what is described in "The Lynching" by Claude McKay.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the mentality of the upper and middle class Negroes to those of the white race during the early 1900s in America. Consider Langston Hughes's essay "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the pronunciation and adaptation of the Negroes and the English language. Consider Zora Neale Hurston's works as well as the poem by Cuney called "Conception".
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the reader's perception of the first section, "New Negro Radicalism" is unclear on how the ideas and prompts should be viewed. Explain how they present a positive front, negative front or both in their challenges to the Negro race.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)