|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many facts does the author present in "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
2. Who believes Africans did not add any words to the English language?
3. What does Cullen seem to wonder in her poem "She of the Dancing Feet Sings"?
4. Whose growls are heard by the people at the end of "Uncle Monday"?
5. What animal remains by Aunt Judy Bickerstaff in "Uncle Monday" until she begins to doubt herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the progression and transition of "old" to "new" leaders by analyzing the beginning works with Georgia Douglas Johnson's poem "Old Black Men". Discuss how important this ideology is to the theme of "Voices from the Harlen Renaissance" as well as the state of society of the 1900s.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the role of the African Nation in "Voices from the Renaissance". Considering "Garveyism" by Randolph and "Africa for Africans" by Garvey, discuss how the authors feel about the nation of Africa in relation to the Negroes in America. How do the authors present a positive or negative ideology for Africa's future?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Wallace Thurman's "Infants of the Spring" and how its message contradicts with the desire for equality for Negroes. Compare and contrast how Dr. Parkes suggestion for the literary talents to "reach back to their African roots" digresses from seeing the Negro race as equal to whites.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)