|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hurston's story "Shouting" about?
2. According to "Our Greatest Gift to America", where do Negroes frequently spend their time?
3. What does the poem "Old Black Men" describe?
4. What does the author say about Negro men and slave trade in "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
5. What does Hurston say about Negro art?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what Locke addresses in "Art or Propaganda".
2. Discuss what Hughes's poem "Mother to Son" addresses.
3. Discuss what "Fifty Years" by James Weldon Johnson addresses and is significant to.
4. Discuss Hurston's essay "Shouting".
5. Discuss what James Weldon Johnson says about Dunbar as a poet in "The Book of American Negro Poetry".
6. Discuss what the singing stone is in "Uncle Monday" by Hurston.
7. Describe Uncle Monday in "Uncle Monday" by Hurston.
8. Discuss the three facts that Arthur A. Schomburg presents in "The Negro Digs Up His Past".
9. Discuss what happens in "Go Down Death" by James Weldon Johnson.
10. Discuss the idea George S. Schuyler's presents in "The Negro-Art Hokum".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the role of the African Nation in "Voices from the Renaissance". Considering "Garveyism" by Randolph and "Africa for Africans" by Garvey, discuss how the authors feel about the nation of Africa in relation to the Negroes in America. How do the authors present a positive or negative ideology for Africa's future?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Wallace Thurman's "Infants of the Spring" and how its message contradicts with the desire for equality for Negroes. Compare and contrast how Dr. Parkes suggestion for the literary talents to "reach back to their African roots" digresses from seeing the Negro race as equal to whites.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the progression and transition of "old" to "new" leaders by analyzing the beginning works with Georgia Douglas Johnson's poem "Old Black Men". Discuss how important this ideology is to the theme of "Voices from the Harlen Renaissance" as well as the state of society of the 1900s.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)