|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Thurman's story, who asks why he should focus only on his African roots when he has Indian and German roots as well?
2. What is Hurston's story "Shouting" about?
3. Who is always one step higher than the Negroes, according to Schuyler?
4. What does the poem "Old Black Men" describe?
5. What is the title of Jess Redmond's poem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what Hughes's poem "Mother to Son" addresses.
2. Discuss the three facts that Arthur A. Schomburg presents in "The Negro Digs Up His Past".
3. Explain what Schuyler's essay "Our Greatest Gift to America" is about.
4. Discuss what Locke addresses in "Art or Propaganda".
5. Discuss Fenton Johnson story "The Banjo Player".
6. Discuss what Hughes notices in most Negro families in relation to their perception of whites in "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
7. Discuss what the singing stone is in "Uncle Monday" by Hurston.
8. Compare and contrast Hurtson's ideas with some etymologists in relation to the African dialect.
9. Discuss Schuyler's opinion of democracy.
10. Discuss what Locke suggest in "Sterling Brown: The New Negro Folk Poet".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the progression and transition of "old" to "new" leaders by analyzing the beginning works with Georgia Douglas Johnson's poem "Old Black Men". Discuss how important this ideology is to the theme of "Voices from the Harlen Renaissance" as well as the state of society of the 1900s.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the beginning of the book's literature with the end of the book's literature. How do the theme, ideas, and challenges of the authors at the beginning like Domingo, McKay and Randolph differ from the authors at the end like DuBois and Hughes? How do these works progress like the mentality of the Negroes during that time?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what Locke means when he uses the term "American Negro". Also discuss how this term fits with his idea of Negroes behavior as a stereotype.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)