|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do people in the village go to visit Uncle Monday in "Uncle Monday"?
2. How does the section "Art and Propaganda" end?
3. What is the title of McKay's poem where people gather around a lynched man?
4. Who is the author of "Our Greatest Gift to America"?
5. Who is the author of "Go Down Death"?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the pronunciation and adaptation of the Negroes and the English language. Consider Zora Neale Hurston's works as well as the poem by Cuney called "Conception".
Essay Topic 2
Explain what Locke means when he uses the term "American Negro". Also discuss how this term fits with his idea of Negroes behavior as a stereotype.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the third section's author's "Afro-American Identity - Who Am I?" (in particular Hughes, Bennett, and Cullen) and how they address the relationship between Negroes and their white counterparts.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)