|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "Fifty Years"?
2. What question does Brown end his poem "Remembering Nat Turner" with?
3. What is the title of the poem that expresses McKay's love and hatred for America?
4. Who is the author of "Our Greatest Gift to America"?
5. Who is the author of the poem "Conception"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what Hughes's poem "Mother to Son" addresses.
2. Discuss what the singing stone is in "Uncle Monday" by Hurston.
3. Explain what Schuyler's essay "Our Greatest Gift to America" is about.
4. Discuss Schuyler's opinion of democracy.
5. Discuss Fenton Johnson story "The Banjo Player".
6. Discuss what Hughes addresses in his essay, "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
7. Discuss the idea George S. Schuyler's presents in "The Negro-Art Hokum".
8. Discuss what Georgia Douglas Johnson's poem, "Old Black Men" addresses.
9. Discuss the significance of the writing style in Cuney's poem, "Conception".
10. Discuss Hurston's essay "Shouting".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the perception and depiction of Harlem in "Voices from the Harlem Renaissance". Compare and contrast the different images we are given of this city in relationship to its inhabitants as well as cultural and artistic connections.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the element of rage in the sixth section's literature "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage". Compare and contrast the perception of what this emotional rage represents, the current state of the Negroes or a prompt to fight for their equality.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what Locke means when he uses the term "American Negro". Also discuss how this term fits with his idea of Negroes behavior as a stereotype.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)