|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose growls are heard by the people at the end of "Uncle Monday"?
2. What does Hurston later give credit to a "jook" being?
3. What is the title of McKay's poem where people gather around a lynched man?
4. What is the name of the woman in "Go Down Death"?
5. In the poem "If We Must Die", what does McKay compare the killings of his race to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what happens in Wallace Thurman's "Infants of Spring".
2. Describe Uncle Monday in "Uncle Monday" by Hurston.
3. Discuss what Hughes's poem "Mother to Son" addresses.
4. Discuss what Hughes addresses in his essay, "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
5. Discuss the significance of the writing style in Cuney's poem, "Conception".
6. Discuss what Blake's interview with Nathan Irvin Huggins is concerned with.
7. Compare and contrast Hurtson's ideas with some etymologists in relation to the African dialect.
8. Explain what Schuyler's essay "Our Greatest Gift to America" is about.
9. Discuss what Locke addresses in "Art or Propaganda".
10. Describe the term "jook".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the common theme and idea of the authors in the first section, "New Negro Radicalism". What defines someone as an "old" or "new" Negro? Explain how these categories emphasize the common mentality of these authors?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the pronunciation and adaptation of the Negroes and the English language. Consider Zora Neale Hurston's works as well as the poem by Cuney called "Conception".
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationships of the couples in "Sweat" and "Long Black Song" by Hurston and Wright respectively. Discuss what these two stories suggest about Negro couples and the Negro man in general.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)