|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "Our Greatest Gift to America"?
2. What is the name of the woman in "Go Down Death"?
3. What is the title of the poem by Hughes that explains how life is not always a straight path, but a journey to rise?
4. In Thurman's story, who asks why he should focus only on his African roots when he has Indian and German roots as well?
5. What does Cullen seem to wonder in her poem "She of the Dancing Feet Sings"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the idea George S. Schuyler's presents in "The Negro-Art Hokum".
2. Discuss Schuyler's opinion of democracy.
3. Compare and contrast Hurtson's ideas with some etymologists in relation to the African dialect.
4. Discuss Hurston's essay "Shouting".
5. Describe Uncle Monday in "Uncle Monday" by Hurston.
6. Discuss what happens in "Go Down Death" by James Weldon Johnson.
7. Explain what Schuyler's essay "Our Greatest Gift to America" is about.
8. Discuss what Hurston examines in "Spirituals and Neo-Spirituals".
9. Describe the term "jook".
10. Discuss what Blake's interview with Nathan Irvin Huggins is concerned with.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the pronunciation and adaptation of the Negroes and the English language. Consider Zora Neale Hurston's works as well as the poem by Cuney called "Conception".
Essay Topic 2
Considering Effie from Fisher's story "Blades of Steel", compare and contrast the women of today's society with the women of the early 1900s. Explain how Effie demonstrates a direct mentality of the women during the early 1900s.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Negro magazines and newspapers during the early 1900s, specifically "The Messenger" and "Fire". What was the purpose of the contents of the works and how does this provide a deeper insight for the reader to better understand the issues of the time?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)