|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose growls are heard by the people at the end of "Uncle Monday"?
2. Why do Negroes mimic according to Hurston?
3. What is the title of Jess Redmond's poem?
4. What characteristics are given to Sweetie Mary Carr?
5. What is the title of Wallace Thurman's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast Hurtson's ideas with some etymologists in relation to the African dialect.
2. Discuss the significance of the writing style in Cuney's poem, "Conception".
3. Discuss what Hughes addresses in his essay, "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
4. Discuss what Blake's interview with Nathan Irvin Huggins is concerned with.
5. Discuss what Hurston examines in "Spirituals and Neo-Spirituals".
6. Discuss the idea George S. Schuyler's presents in "The Negro-Art Hokum".
7. Describe Uncle Monday in "Uncle Monday" by Hurston.
8. Discuss what is described in "The Lynching" by Claude McKay.
9. Discuss Schuyler's opinion of democracy.
10. Discuss what the singing stone is in "Uncle Monday" by Hurston.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the pronunciation and adaptation of the Negroes and the English language. Consider Zora Neale Hurston's works as well as the poem by Cuney called "Conception".
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the mentality of the upper and middle class Negroes to those of the white race during the early 1900s in America. Consider Langston Hughes's essay "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Negro magazines and newspapers during the early 1900s, specifically "The Messenger" and "Fire". What was the purpose of the contents of the works and how does this provide a deeper insight for the reader to better understand the issues of the time?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)