|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is given credit to be the first Negro poet to be able to "rise to a height from which he could take a perspective view of his own race"?
2. What does Hurston say about Negro art?
3. What is the title of McKay's poem where people gather around a lynched man?
4. According to "Our Greatest Gift to America", where do Negroes frequently spend their time?
5. Who is the author of "The Negro-Art Hokum"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Schuyler's essay "Our Greatest Gift to America" is about.
2. Discuss what happens in "Go Down Death" by James Weldon Johnson.
3. Discuss what happens in Wallace Thurman's "Infants of Spring".
4. Compare and contrast Hurtson's ideas with some etymologists in relation to the African dialect.
5. Describe Uncle Monday in "Uncle Monday" by Hurston.
6. Discuss the significance of the writing style in Cuney's poem, "Conception".
7. Discuss what Hughes's poem "Mother to Son" addresses.
8. Discuss what Hughes notices in most Negro families in relation to their perception of whites in "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
9. Discuss Fenton Johnson story "The Banjo Player".
10. Discuss what Hughes addresses in his essay, "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the role of the African Nation in "Voices from the Renaissance". Considering "Garveyism" by Randolph and "Africa for Africans" by Garvey, discuss how the authors feel about the nation of Africa in relation to the Negroes in America. How do the authors present a positive or negative ideology for Africa's future?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Wallace Thurman's "Infants of the Spring" and how its message contradicts with the desire for equality for Negroes. Compare and contrast how Dr. Parkes suggestion for the literary talents to "reach back to their African roots" digresses from seeing the Negro race as equal to whites.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the element of rage in the sixth section's literature "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage". Compare and contrast the perception of what this emotional rage represents, the current state of the Negroes or a prompt to fight for their equality.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)