|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the influence of the Negro's heritage artwork compared to in "The Negro-Art Hokum"?
2. What is the name of the host and novelist in Thurman's story?
3. At the end of the section "Art and Propaganda", who wanted to be a pianist because of his brother's friends?
4. How many poems of Countee Cullen's follow "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual" in the section "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage"?
5. What is the title of Hughes's poem that points out that artistic endeavors can release the "hurt in your heart"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what Hurston examines in "Spirituals and Neo-Spirituals".
2. Discuss the three facts that Arthur A. Schomburg presents in "The Negro Digs Up His Past".
3. Discuss the idea George S. Schuyler's presents in "The Negro-Art Hokum".
4. Discuss the significance of the writing style in Cuney's poem, "Conception".
5. Compare and contrast Hurtson's ideas with some etymologists in relation to the African dialect.
6. Discuss what the singing stone is in "Uncle Monday" by Hurston.
7. Discuss what Hughes's poem "Mother to Son" addresses.
8. Discuss what Georgia Douglas Johnson's poem, "Old Black Men" addresses.
9. Discuss what Locke addresses in "Art or Propaganda".
10. Describe Uncle Monday in "Uncle Monday" by Hurston.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the element of rage in the sixth section's literature "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage". Compare and contrast the perception of what this emotional rage represents, the current state of the Negroes or a prompt to fight for their equality.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the third section's author's "Afro-American Identity - Who Am I?" (in particular Hughes, Bennett, and Cullen) and how they address the relationship between Negroes and their white counterparts.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the beginning of the book's literature with the end of the book's literature. How do the theme, ideas, and challenges of the authors at the beginning like Domingo, McKay and Randolph differ from the authors at the end like DuBois and Hughes? How do these works progress like the mentality of the Negroes during that time?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)