|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the essay "Luani of the Jungles" about?
2. Who wrote the essay "Race Pride"?
3. What does Fisher note about the Cabaret dancers in his essay, "The Caucasian Storms Harlem"?
4. What does Locke notice about the bars and clubs in "The Legacy of Ancestral Arts"?
5. Who is the author of "Blades of Steel"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what occurred in response to the August 1900 incident.
2. Discuss what Effie's role represents in Fisher's story "Blades of Steel".
3. Describe what Locke says about the "American Negro" in "The New Negro".
4. Discuss what happens in Fisher's story "Blades of Steel".
5. Discuss the struggle Paul deals with in "Cane" by Jean Toomer.
6. Discuss what happens in Zora Neale Hurston's story "Sweat".
7. Describe what W. E. B. DuBois's essay "Race Pride" addresses.
8. Describe what happens in Jean Toomer's story "Cane".
9. Describe what W. A. Domingo writes the "New Negro" must be able to do in "If We Must Die".
10. Describe the August 1900 incident that occurs in "Black Manhattan".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the element of rage in the sixth section's literature "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage". Compare and contrast the perception of what this emotional rage represents, the current state of the Negroes or a prompt to fight for their equality.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the term renaissance applies to the literature of "Voices from the Harlem Renaissance" and how America had its own literary renaissance in the early 1900s.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what Locke means when he uses the term "American Negro". Also discuss how this term fits with his idea of Negroes behavior as a stereotype.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)