|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What follows the essay "A Long Way from Home"?
2. What does Locke question in "The Legacy of Ancestral Arts"?
3. What is the main character of "Sweat" afraid of?
4. Who wrote "Sonnet to a Negro in Harlem"?
5. What did the police officer of Johnson's essay think the wife was doing on the street corner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the prejudice shown in "Wedding Day" by Gwendolyn Bennett.
2. Explain what Schuyler's essay "Our Greatest Gift to America" is about.
3. Discuss the idea George S. Schuyler's presents in "The Negro-Art Hokum".
4. Discuss what happens in "Go Down Death" by James Weldon Johnson.
5. Describe what W. A. Domingo writes the "New Negro" must be able to do in "If We Must Die".
6. Describe the significance of the magazine "The Messenger".
7. Describe how Domingo finds any person ever accused of being involved with race riots in his essay "Race Pride".
8. Describe what theme the first essays in the section "New Negro Radicalism" have in common.
9. Discuss what the singing stone is in "Uncle Monday" by Hurston.
10. Discuss the "voodoo" in "Luani of the Jungles" by Langston Hughes.
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how the term renaissance applies to the literature of "Voices from the Harlem Renaissance" and how America had its own literary renaissance in the early 1900s.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the perception and depiction of Harlem in "Voices from the Harlem Renaissance". Compare and contrast the different images we are given of this city in relationship to its inhabitants as well as cultural and artistic connections.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the element of rage in the sixth section's literature "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage". Compare and contrast the perception of what this emotional rage represents, the current state of the Negroes or a prompt to fight for their equality.
This section contains 1,510 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)