|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of changes does Locke see in the overall perception of Negroes?
2. What does the poem immediately following "The Legacy of Ancestral Arts" by Countee Cullen address?
3. What does McKay describe in "A Long Way from Home"?
4. How many outcomes does Randolph attribute to Mr. Garvey's ideals in "Garveyism"?
5. What aspect of the Negro culture does Locke discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what the term "renaissance" refers to in the section "Reflections on the Renaissance".
2. Describe what Locke says about the "American Negro" in "The New Negro".
3. Discuss the "voodoo" in "Luani of the Jungles" by Langston Hughes.
4. Compare and contrast Hurtson's ideas with some etymologists in relation to the African dialect.
5. Discuss the idea George S. Schuyler's presents in "The Negro-Art Hokum".
6. Describe what rent parties are as told by Hughes in "The Big Sea".
7. Discuss what Locke addresses in "Art or Propaganda".
8. Describe what happens in Jean Toomer's story "Cane".
9. Discuss what Locke questions in "The Legacy of the Ancestral Arts".
10. Discuss what is described in "The Lynching" by Claude McKay.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the roles of the Negro performers from the two provided interviews, "Conversation with James P. Johnson" by Tom Davin and an "Interview with Eubie Blake, October 16, 1973" by Nathan Irvin Huggins.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the progression and transition of "old" to "new" leaders by analyzing the beginning works with Georgia Douglas Johnson's poem "Old Black Men". Discuss how important this ideology is to the theme of "Voices from the Harlen Renaissance" as well as the state of society of the 1900s.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the tolerance of racism in Negros and whites. How do they both demonstrate a tolerance to this accepted behavior?Do they begin to demonstrate a movement towards equality within the two races? If so, how?
This section contains 1,531 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)