Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the "New Negro" believe in?
2. What is the conflict in "Sweat"?
3. According to Domingo, what are the men of the "Old Crowd" filled with?
4. What is the main character of "Sweat" afraid of?
5. What does McKay describe in "A Long Way from Home"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what happens in Zora Neale Hurston's story "Sweat".
2. Discuss the magazine "Fire" and its significance.
3. Discuss what happens in "Go Down Death" by James Weldon Johnson.
4. Discuss what Hughes finds in relation to acrobats and Negro performers from "The Big Sea".
5. Discuss the prejudice shown in "Wedding Day" by Gwendolyn Bennett.
6. What does "Garveyism" by A. Phillip Randolph address?
7. Describe what Marcus A. Garvey's "Africa for Africans" reasons.
8. Describe how Alain Locke's "The New Negro" defines the "new negro" as.
9. Discuss what occurred in response to the August 1900 incident.
10. Describe what Hughes discusses in "The Big Sea".
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationships of the couples in "Sweat" and "Long Black Song" by Hurston and Wright respectively. Discuss what these two stories suggest about Negro couples and the Negro man in general.
Essay Topic 2
Considering Effie from Fisher's story "Blades of Steel", compare and contrast the women of today's society with the women of the early 1900s. Explain how Effie demonstrates a direct mentality of the women during the early 1900s.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the third section's author's "Afro-American Identity - Who Am I?" (in particular Hughes, Bennett, and Cullen) and how they address the relationship between Negroes and their white counterparts.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)