|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Sonnet to a Negro in Harlem"?
2. What does Locke attribute to the migration of the "new Negro"?
3. Who is the essay "Sweat" about?
4. What does the boy buy Nicey at the end of "City Love"?
5. According to Domingo, what are the men of the "Old Crowd" filled with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the August 1900 incident that occurs in "Black Manhattan".
2. Describe what happens in Jean Toomer's story "Cane".
3. Discuss what occurred in response to the August 1900 incident.
4. Discuss how James Weldon Johnson describes Harlem in "Black Manhattan".
5. Discuss the prejudice shown in "Wedding Day" by Gwendolyn Bennett.
6. Discuss what happens in Fisher's story "Blades of Steel".
7. Discuss what Wallace Thurman's editorial discusses about magazines aimed at Negroes.
8. Discuss the struggle Paul deals with in "Cane" by Jean Toomer.
9. What does "Garveyism" by A. Phillip Randolph address?
10. Discuss the "voodoo" in "Luani of the Jungles" by Langston Hughes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of Negro magazines and newspapers during the early 1900s, specifically "The Messenger" and "Fire". What was the purpose of the contents of the works and how does this provide a deeper insight for the reader to better understand the issues of the time?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationships of the couples in "Sweat" and "Long Black Song" by Hurston and Wright respectively. Discuss what these two stories suggest about Negro couples and the Negro man in general.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the common theme and idea of the authors in the first section, "New Negro Radicalism". What defines someone as an "old" or "new" Negro? Explain how these categories emphasize the common mentality of these authors?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)