|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who supposedly bewitches the main character of "Luani of the Jungles"?
2. According to Garvey, what does he feel is the opposite result of the construction of a great African nation?
3. What sentiment is suggested about American Negroes in relation to Negroes in other parts of the world?
4. What fact does Locke cite at the end of "American Negro" in relation to outsider's perceptions?
5. According to Garvey, what should the "New Negro" be handed while building an empire in Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what W. E. B. DuBois's essay "Race Pride" addresses.
2. Describe the attitudes of the men's essays in the section New Negro Radicalism and the interpretation they leave for the reader.
3. What does Helene Johnson's poem "Poem" describe?
4. Discuss the "voodoo" in "Luani of the Jungles" by Langston Hughes.
5. Describe the beginning and end of "From the Messenger - A Menace to Radicalism".
6. Describe the question Randolph poses in his essay "A New Crowd - A New Negro".
7. Discuss the prejudice shown in "Wedding Day" by Gwendolyn Bennett.
8. Discuss what Locke questions in "The Legacy of the Ancestral Arts".
9. Describe how Domingo finds any person ever accused of being involved with race riots in his essay "Race Pride".
10. Describe the August 1900 incident that occurs in "Black Manhattan".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the progression and transition of "old" to "new" leaders by analyzing the beginning works with Georgia Douglas Johnson's poem "Old Black Men". Discuss how important this ideology is to the theme of "Voices from the Harlen Renaissance" as well as the state of society of the 1900s.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the tolerance of racism in Negros and whites. How do they both demonstrate a tolerance to this accepted behavior?Do they begin to demonstrate a movement towards equality within the two races? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the roles of the Negro performers from the two provided interviews, "Conversation with James P. Johnson" by Tom Davin and an "Interview with Eubie Blake, October 16, 1973" by Nathan Irvin Huggins.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)