|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question is posed in regards to leadership roles of "A New Crowd - A New Negro"?
2. Who supposedly bewitches the main character of "Luani of the Jungles"?
3. According to Garvey, what does he feel is the opposite result of the construction of a great African nation?
4. In what essay does the author state that "a Negro will turn on another Negro if ordered"?
5. What does McKay describe in "A Long Way from Home"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what happens in "Go Down Death" by James Weldon Johnson.
2. Describe the term "jook".
3. Describe the beginning and end of "From the Messenger - A Menace to Radicalism".
4. Discuss the struggle Paul deals with in "Cane" by Jean Toomer.
5. Discuss what happens in Fisher's story "Blades of Steel".
6. Discuss what the term "renaissance" refers to in the section "Reflections on the Renaissance".
7. Discuss what Effie's role represents in Fisher's story "Blades of Steel".
8. Discuss Schuyler's opinion of democracy.
9. Discuss what "Fifty Years" by James Weldon Johnson addresses and is significant to.
10. Describe the attitudes of the men's essays in the section New Negro Radicalism and the interpretation they leave for the reader.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the element of rage in the sixth section's literature "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage". Compare and contrast the perception of what this emotional rage represents, the current state of the Negroes or a prompt to fight for their equality.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the progression and transition of "old" to "new" leaders by analyzing the beginning works with Georgia Douglas Johnson's poem "Old Black Men". Discuss how important this ideology is to the theme of "Voices from the Harlen Renaissance" as well as the state of society of the 1900s.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the third section's author's "Afro-American Identity - Who Am I?" (in particular Hughes, Bennett, and Cullen) and how they address the relationship between Negroes and their white counterparts.
This section contains 1,578 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)