Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the "New Negro" believe in?
2. What is the conflict in "Sweat"?
3. According to Domingo, what are the men of the "Old Crowd" filled with?
4. What is the main character of "Sweat" afraid of?
5. What does McKay describe in "A Long Way from Home"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what happens in Zora Neale Hurston's story "Sweat".
2. Discuss the magazine "Fire" and its significance.
3. Discuss what happens in "Go Down Death" by James Weldon Johnson.
4. Discuss what Hughes finds in relation to acrobats and Negro performers from "The Big Sea".
5. Discuss the prejudice shown in "Wedding Day" by Gwendolyn Bennett.
6. What does "Garveyism" by A. Phillip Randolph address?
7. Describe what Marcus A. Garvey's "Africa for Africans" reasons.
8. Describe how Alain Locke's "The New Negro" defines the "new negro" as.
9. Discuss what occurred in response to the August 1900 incident.
10. Describe what Hughes discusses in "The Big Sea".
Essay Topic 1
Explain what Locke means when he uses the term "American Negro". Also discuss how this term fits with his idea of Negroes behavior as a stereotype.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the term renaissance applies to the literature of "Voices from the Harlem Renaissance" and how America had its own literary renaissance in the early 1900s.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the pronunciation and adaptation of the Negroes and the English language. Consider Zora Neale Hurston's works as well as the poem by Cuney called "Conception".
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)