Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the "New Negro" believe in?
2. What is the conflict in "Sweat"?
3. According to Domingo, what are the men of the "Old Crowd" filled with?
4. What is the main character of "Sweat" afraid of?
5. What does McKay describe in "A Long Way from Home"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what happens in Zora Neale Hurston's story "Sweat".
2. Discuss the magazine "Fire" and its significance.
3. Discuss what happens in "Go Down Death" by James Weldon Johnson.
4. Discuss what Hughes finds in relation to acrobats and Negro performers from "The Big Sea".
5. Discuss the prejudice shown in "Wedding Day" by Gwendolyn Bennett.
6. What does "Garveyism" by A. Phillip Randolph address?
7. Describe what Marcus A. Garvey's "Africa for Africans" reasons.
8. Describe how Alain Locke's "The New Negro" defines the "new negro" as.
9. Discuss what occurred in response to the August 1900 incident.
10. Describe what Hughes discusses in "The Big Sea".
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the mentality of the upper and middle class Negroes to those of the white race during the early 1900s in America. Consider Langston Hughes's essay "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the common theme and idea of the authors in the first section, "New Negro Radicalism". What defines someone as an "old" or "new" Negro? Explain how these categories emphasize the common mentality of these authors?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what Locke means when he uses the term "American Negro". Also discuss how this term fits with his idea of Negroes behavior as a stereotype.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)