|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Locke say unites the "American Negro"?
2. What does Fisher note about the Cabaret dancers in his essay, "The Caucasian Storms Harlem"?
3. What does Garvey hope to achieve from his plan to build an empire in Africa?
4. According to Locke, why have Negroes been treated a certain way?
5. What does Locke notice about the bars and clubs in "The Legacy of Ancestral Arts"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens in Jean Toomer's story "Cane".
2. Describe Randolph's description of how the "new crowd" should behave in his essay "A New Crowd - A New Negro".
3. Describe what W. A. Domingo writes the "New Negro" must be able to do in "If We Must Die".
4. Describe the August 1900 incident that occurs in "Black Manhattan".
5. Discuss what Locke questions in "The Legacy of the Ancestral Arts".
6. Describe what W. E. B. DuBois's essay "Race Pride" addresses.
7. Discuss what happens in Fisher's story "Blades of Steel".
8. Discuss what occurred in response to the August 1900 incident.
9. What does "Garveyism" by A. Phillip Randolph address?
10. Discuss what Wallace Thurman's editorial discusses about magazines aimed at Negroes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationships of the couples in "Sweat" and "Long Black Song" by Hurston and Wright respectively. Discuss what these two stories suggest about Negro couples and the Negro man in general.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the common theme and idea of the authors in the first section, "New Negro Radicalism". What defines someone as an "old" or "new" Negro? Explain how these categories emphasize the common mentality of these authors?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what Locke means when he uses the term "American Negro". Also discuss how this term fits with his idea of Negroes behavior as a stereotype.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)