|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "Art or Propaganda"?
2. What is the title of the poem by Hughes that explains how life is not always a straight path, but a journey to rise?
(a) "Song for a Dark Girl".
(b) "Dream Variations".
(c) "Run to Rise".
(d) "Mother to Son".
3. What does the author of "The Negro Digs Up His Past" conclude with?
(a) With a song.
(b) With a poem.
(c) He presents an idea that a new day has come for Negroes.
(d) With a challenge to the Negro race.
4. What is the title of the essay by Langston Hughes that delves into the racial stumbling block Negro artists face?
(a) "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
(b) "The Race to be an Artist".
(c) "The Race and the Artist".
(d) "The Artist and its Race".
5. What do most of the poems in the section "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage" have in common?
(a) They are full of symbolism.
(b) They have clear meanings.
(c) They have unclear meanings.
(d) They are full or irony.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is given credit to be the first Negro poet to be able to "rise to a height from which he could take a perspective view of his own race"?
2. What does the author of "The Negro Digs up His Past" attribute his ideology to?
3. What does the author say about Negro men and slave trade in "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
4. Who is the author of "The Negro-Art Hokum"?
5. What does the poem "Old Black Men" describe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what happens in Wallace Thurman's "Infants of Spring".
2. Discuss what Locke suggest in "Sterling Brown: The New Negro Folk Poet".
3. Explain what Schuyler's essay "Our Greatest Gift to America" is about.
4. Discuss what Hughes's poem "Mother to Son" addresses.
5. Discuss Hurston's essay "Shouting".
6. Discuss Fenton Johnson story "The Banjo Player".
7. Discuss Schuyler's opinion of democracy.
8. Discuss what Georgia Douglas Johnson's poem, "Old Black Men" addresses.
9. Discuss what happens in "Go Down Death" by James Weldon Johnson.
10. Discuss the significance of the writing style in Cuney's poem, "Conception".
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)