|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do most of the poems in the section "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage" have in common?
(a) They have clear meanings.
(b) They are full or irony.
(c) They have unclear meanings.
(d) They are full of symbolism.
2. At the end of the section "Art and Propaganda", who wanted to be a pianist because of his brother's friends?
(a) James Johns.
(b) James P. Johnson.
(c) James Patterson.
(d) Johnson Jameison.
3. What does the mother mean when she tells her son to "not act like a nigger" in the essay by Hughes?
(a) To act right.
(b) To not act poor.
(c) To misbehave.
(d) To act rich.
4. How does Hurston originally define the word "jook"?
(a) A bawdy house.
(b) A song.
(c) A type of person.
(d) A food.
5. What is the biggest blockage for Negro artists, according to Hughes?
(b) Tendency to mimic lifestyle of whites.
(c) Inequality of wealth.
(d) Tendency to discredit their work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first sees Uncle Monday in Hurston's story "Uncle Monday"?
2. Who is the author of "Fifty Years"?
3. What is the name of the woman in "Go Down Death"?
4. Which of the following is NOT a poem written by Countee Cullen?
5. What characteristics are given to Sweetie Mary Carr?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what Georgia Douglas Johnson's poem, "Old Black Men" addresses.
2. Explain what Schuyler's essay "Our Greatest Gift to America" is about.
3. Discuss what is described in "The Lynching" by Claude McKay.
4. Discuss what "Fifty Years" by James Weldon Johnson addresses and is significant to.
5. Describe the term "jook".
6. Discuss what Locke addresses in "Art or Propaganda".
7. Discuss what Locke suggest in "Sterling Brown: The New Negro Folk Poet".
8. Discuss what Hughes's poem "Mother to Son" addresses.
9. Compare and contrast Hurtson's ideas with some etymologists in relation to the African dialect.
10. Discuss Schuyler's opinion of democracy.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)