|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
(c) Arthur A. Schomberg.
2. Why has democracy worked so well in America, according to "Our Greatest Gift to America"?
(a) Negroes are inferior to the government.
(b) Skin color measures a man's worth.
(c) White's are supreme in this way of living.
(d) It divides the power evenly.
3. What is the title of Hughes's poem that points out that artistic endeavors can release the "hurt in your heart"?
(a) "Hurt Heart".
4. At the end of the section "Art and Propaganda", who wanted to be a pianist because of his brother's friends?
(a) James P. Johnson.
(b) James Johns.
(c) Johnson Jameison.
(d) James Patterson.
5. What is the name of the host and novelist in Thurman's story?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pieces of art does the last section in "Afro-American Past - History and Folk Tradition" have?
2. How many poems of Countee Cullen's follow "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual" in the section "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage"?
3. Whose idea was that the Negro race is part of a greater destiny?
4. How many facts does the author present in "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
5. What is Hurston's story "Shouting" about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast Hurtson's ideas with some etymologists in relation to the African dialect.
2. Discuss what Hughes notices in most Negro families in relation to their perception of whites in "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
3. Discuss what "Fifty Years" by James Weldon Johnson addresses and is significant to.
4. Describe the term "jook".
5. Discuss what Hughes addresses in his essay, "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
6. Discuss what happens in Wallace Thurman's "Infants of Spring".
7. Discuss what Georgia Douglas Johnson's poem, "Old Black Men" addresses.
8. Discuss the significance of the writing style in Cuney's poem, "Conception".
9. Explain what Schuyler's essay "Our Greatest Gift to America" is about.
10. Discuss what is described in "The Lynching" by Claude McKay.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)