|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the poem "If We Must Die", what does McKay compare the killings of his race to?
2. What is the name of the woman in "Go Down Death"?
3. Who is the author of "Our Greatest Gift to America"?
(d) Helene Johnson.
4. What does the author of "The Negro Digs Up His Past" conclude with?
(a) With a song.
(b) He presents an idea that a new day has come for Negroes.
(c) With a challenge to the Negro race.
(d) With a poem.
5. How many poems of Countee Cullen's follow "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual" in the section "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the poem that expresses McKay's love and hatred for America?
2. What is the title of James Weldon Johnson's book that details events about Negro artists in general and poets in particular?
3. What is the title of Hughes's poem that points out that artistic endeavors can release the "hurt in your heart"?
4. What animal remains by Aunt Judy Bickerstaff in "Uncle Monday" until she begins to doubt herself?
5. What type of music is in "The Banjo Player"?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)