|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many facts does the author present in "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
2. What is the title of McKay's poem where people gather around a lynched man?
(a) "The Lynched".
(b) "Lynched: Past and Present".
(c) "The Lynching".
(d) "To Witness Lynching".
3. What is the title of the essay by Langston Hughes that delves into the racial stumbling block Negro artists face?
(a) "The Artist and its Race".
(b) "The Race and the Artist".
(c) "The Race to be an Artist".
(d) "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
4. Who is the 3 line poem about?
(a) The Union Soldiers.
(d) George Washington.
5. Who first sees Uncle Monday in Hurston's story "Uncle Monday"?
(a) Joe Lindsay.
(b) Joey Lawrence.
(c) Joeseph Lies.
(d) Lindsey Joeseph.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "Fifty Years"?
2. Which poet uses the word "if" as a basis for a sonnet to his mother?
3. What animal remains by Aunt Judy Bickerstaff in "Uncle Monday" until she begins to doubt herself?
4. What does Cullen seem to indicate about heaven in her poem "She of the Dancing Feet Sings"?
5. What is the title of Jess Redmond's poem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what happens in "Go Down Death" by James Weldon Johnson.
2. Describe Uncle Monday in "Uncle Monday" by Hurston.
3. Discuss the significance of the writing style in Cuney's poem, "Conception".
4. Discuss what Georgia Douglas Johnson's poem, "Old Black Men" addresses.
5. Discuss what happens in Wallace Thurman's "Infants of Spring".
6. Discuss the three facts that Arthur A. Schomburg presents in "The Negro Digs Up His Past".
7. Discuss the idea George S. Schuyler's presents in "The Negro-Art Hokum".
8. Discuss what Hughes addresses in his essay, "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
9. Discuss what is described in "The Lynching" by Claude McKay.
10. Discuss Hurston's essay "Shouting".
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)