|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who first sees Uncle Monday in Hurston's story "Uncle Monday"?
(a) Joeseph Lies.
(b) Joe Lindsay.
(c) Lindsey Joeseph.
(d) Joey Lawrence.
2. What technique does Hurston discuss in "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual"?
(a) The technique to conjure spirits.
(b) The technique of sounds production.
(d) Breathing in songs and sermons.
3. According to "Our Greatest Gift to America", where do Negroes frequently spend their time?
4. Why do people in the village go to visit Uncle Monday in "Uncle Monday"?
(a) To be cured.
(b) For his craft.
(c) To hear his stories.
(d) To take pictures.
5. What is the title of the ending section of "Afro-American Past - History and Folk Tradition"?
(a) "Seeing Blackness".
(b) "To Celebrate Blackness".
(c) "Visual Arts".
(d) "Visual Arts: To Celebrate Blackness".
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the mother mean when she tells her son to "not act like a nigger" in the essay by Hughes?
2. What is the title of the poem by Hughes that explains how life is not always a straight path, but a journey to rise?
3. What is the title of Hughes's poem that points out that artistic endeavors can release the "hurt in your heart"?
4. What do most of the poems in the section "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage" have in common?
5. Who says there is a "decadent strain" in the works of the Negro artists due to their lack of connection to its roots, in Thurman's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what Hughes notices in most Negro families in relation to their perception of whites in "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
2. Discuss the idea George S. Schuyler's presents in "The Negro-Art Hokum".
3. Discuss what Hughes's poem "Mother to Son" addresses.
4. Discuss what Georgia Douglas Johnson's poem, "Old Black Men" addresses.
5. Explain what Schuyler's essay "Our Greatest Gift to America" is about.
6. Discuss what Locke suggest in "Sterling Brown: The New Negro Folk Poet".
7. Discuss what happens in Wallace Thurman's "Infants of Spring".
8. Discuss what is described in "The Lynching" by Claude McKay.
9. Discuss what happens in "Go Down Death" by James Weldon Johnson.
10. Discuss what Hurston examines in "Spirituals and Neo-Spirituals".
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)