|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the poem "Old Black Men" describe?
(a) They're relationships.
(b) They're color.
(c) They're age.
(d) The old men realize life hasn't turned out as they planned.
2. Who argues that Negroes did alter the English language?
(b) No one.
(c) Some etymologists.
3. Who is always one step higher than the Negroes, according to Schuyler?
(a) The poorest of the poor.
(b) The next poorest.
4. What type of literary writing style is effective in the 3 line poem?
(a) The words are rounded off at the end to mimic the Negro speech.
(b) The words are written in perfect speech.
(c) It uses dramatic irony.
(d) It uses symbolism.
5. What is the title of Wallace Thurman's story?
(a) "Infants of Spring".
(b) "Youthful Summer".
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "The Negro-Art Hokum"?
2. What characteristics are given to Sweetie Mary Carr?
3. What is the title of the poem by Hughes that explains how life is not always a straight path, but a journey to rise?
4. What does the author of "Go Down Death" describe the poem as?
5. When was "Fifty Years" written?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what Blake's interview with Nathan Irvin Huggins is concerned with.
2. Discuss what is described in "The Lynching" by Claude McKay.
3. Compare and contrast Hurtson's ideas with some etymologists in relation to the African dialect.
4. Discuss what Locke suggest in "Sterling Brown: The New Negro Folk Poet".
5. Discuss what happens in Wallace Thurman's "Infants of Spring".
6. Discuss what happens in "Go Down Death" by James Weldon Johnson.
7. Discuss Fenton Johnson story "The Banjo Player".
8. Discuss what Hurston examines in "Spirituals and Neo-Spirituals".
9. Discuss Hurston's essay "Shouting".
10. Describe the term "jook".
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)