|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the 3 line poem about?
(c) The Union Soldiers.
(d) George Washington.
2. What does the author say about Negro men and slave trade in "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
(a) No Negro men were allowed to work the slave trade.
(b) Some Negro men were active in running the slave trade.
(c) Some Negro men were active in halting the slave trade.
(d) White men forced Negro men to work.
3. What question does Brown end his poem "Remembering Nat Turner" with?
(a) If Turner is the murderer.
(b) If Turner is innocent.
(c) If he'll remember Turner.
(d) If Turner is now at rest?
4. What does the mother mean when she tells her son to "not act like a nigger" in the essay by Hughes?
(a) To act rich.
(b) To misbehave.
(c) To act right.
(d) To not act poor.
5. What is the title of the ending section of "Afro-American Past - History and Folk Tradition"?
(a) "Visual Arts: To Celebrate Blackness".
(b) "Visual Arts".
(c) "Seeing Blackness".
(d) "To Celebrate Blackness".
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the poem "Old Black Men" describe?
2. Why do Negroes mimic according to Hurston?
3. What do most of the poems in the section "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage" have in common?
4. Who is the author of "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
5. What is the name of the woman in "Go Down Death"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the three facts that Arthur A. Schomburg presents in "The Negro Digs Up His Past".
2. Compare and contrast Hurtson's ideas with some etymologists in relation to the African dialect.
3. Explain what Schuyler's essay "Our Greatest Gift to America" is about.
4. Discuss what Locke addresses in "Art or Propaganda".
5. Discuss what is described in "The Lynching" by Claude McKay.
6. Discuss what James Weldon Johnson says about Dunbar as a poet in "The Book of American Negro Poetry".
7. Discuss Hurston's essay "Shouting".
8. Discuss what Hurston examines in "Spirituals and Neo-Spirituals".
9. Discuss what "Fifty Years" by James Weldon Johnson addresses and is significant to.
10. Describe the term "jook".
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)