|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author of "The Negro Digs Up His Past" conclude with?
(a) With a poem.
(b) With a challenge to the Negro race.
(c) He presents an idea that a new day has come for Negroes.
(d) With a song.
2. Why has democracy worked so well in America, according to "Our Greatest Gift to America"?
(a) It divides the power evenly.
(b) White's are supreme in this way of living.
(c) Skin color measures a man's worth.
(d) Negroes are inferior to the government.
3. What does Cullen seem to indicate about heaven in her poem "She of the Dancing Feet Sings"?
(a) That heaven is a very serious place.
(b) That eveyone is pretty in heaven.
(c) That everyone in heaven is really talented.
(d) That heaven is really fun.
4. Why do Negroes mimic according to Hurston?
(a) For money.
(b) For the fun; not to be like others.
(c) To feel better.
(d) To be like others.
5. What is the title of Jess Redmond's poem?
(a) "Fire Flies".
(b) "Night Flies".
(c) "Dead Flies".
(d) "Dead Fires".
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose idea was that the Negro race is part of a greater destiny?
2. What does Hurston examine in "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual"?
3. Who is the author of the poem "Conception"?
4. What type of music is in "The Banjo Player"?
5. Whose growls are heard by the people at the end of "Uncle Monday"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what Hughes notices in most Negro families in relation to their perception of whites in "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
2. Discuss what Locke addresses in "Art or Propaganda".
3. Discuss what Georgia Douglas Johnson's poem, "Old Black Men" addresses.
4. Discuss Fenton Johnson story "The Banjo Player".
5. Discuss what Hurston examines in "Spirituals and Neo-Spirituals".
6. Discuss the three facts that Arthur A. Schomburg presents in "The Negro Digs Up His Past".
7. Discuss what Blake's interview with Nathan Irvin Huggins is concerned with.
8. Discuss what the singing stone is in "Uncle Monday" by Hurston.
9. Compare and contrast Hurtson's ideas with some etymologists in relation to the African dialect.
10. Discuss what "Fifty Years" by James Weldon Johnson addresses and is significant to.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)