|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was "Fifty Years" written?
(a) 50 years after slavery ends.
(b) The 50th anniversary of the start of the Civil War.
(c) 50 years before slavery begins.
(d) The 50th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation.
2. Whose idea was that the Negro race is part of a greater destiny?
(b) James Weldon Johnson.
3. What is the title of James Weldon Johnson's book that details events about Negro artists in general and poets in particular?
(a) "Study of Works by Negroes".
(b) "Negro Artist's and Poet's Revisited".
(c) "Study of Negro Artistry".
(d) "The Book of American Negro Poetry".
4. What does Hurston later give credit to a "jook" being?
(a) A type of movement or dance.
(b) A food.
(c) A song.
(d) A house.
5. In the poem "If We Must Die", what does McKay compare the killings of his race to?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to "Our Greatest Gift to America", where do Negroes frequently spend their time?
2. Who arrived in America as a child and was purchased by a man in Boston?
3. Why do Negroes mimic according to Hurston?
4. Who is the author of "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
5. Which of the following is NOT a poem written by Countee Cullen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Schuyler's essay "Our Greatest Gift to America" is about.
2. Discuss what Georgia Douglas Johnson's poem, "Old Black Men" addresses.
3. Discuss what is described in "The Lynching" by Claude McKay.
4. Discuss what Hughes notices in most Negro families in relation to their perception of whites in "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
5. Discuss what Hughes's poem "Mother to Son" addresses.
6. Discuss the idea George S. Schuyler's presents in "The Negro-Art Hokum".
7. Compare and contrast Hurtson's ideas with some etymologists in relation to the African dialect.
8. Discuss what Blake's interview with Nathan Irvin Huggins is concerned with.
9. Discuss Fenton Johnson story "The Banjo Player".
10. Discuss what Locke suggest in "Sterling Brown: The New Negro Folk Poet".
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)