|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which poet uses the word "if" as a basis for a sonnet to his mother?
2. What does Hurston examine in "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual"?
(a) The originis of spirits.
(b) The origins of hymns.
3. What type of music is in "The Banjo Player"?
(a) Music of peasant people.
4. What is the title of Hughes's poem that points out that artistic endeavors can release the "hurt in your heart"?
(b) "Hurt Heart".
5. What is the name of the host and novelist in Thurman's story?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Wallace Thurman's story?
2. Who believes Africans did not add any words to the English language?
3. How many poems of Countee Cullen's follow "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual" in the section "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage"?
4. Who arrived in America as a child and was purchased by a man in Boston?
5. How does the section "Art and Propaganda" end?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the significance of the writing style in Cuney's poem, "Conception".
2. Discuss what Hughes notices in most Negro families in relation to their perception of whites in "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
3. Discuss what Blake's interview with Nathan Irvin Huggins is concerned with.
4. Discuss what Hurston examines in "Spirituals and Neo-Spirituals".
5. Discuss Fenton Johnson story "The Banjo Player".
6. Discuss Hurston's essay "Shouting".
7. Explain what Schuyler's essay "Our Greatest Gift to America" is about.
8. Discuss what James Weldon Johnson says about Dunbar as a poet in "The Book of American Negro Poetry".
9. Describe Uncle Monday in "Uncle Monday" by Hurston.
10. Discuss what Locke addresses in "Art or Propaganda".
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)