|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Hughes's poem that points out that artistic endeavors can release the "hurt in your heart"?
(c) "Hurt Heart".
2. What is the title of the poem that expresses McKay's love and hatred for America?
(a) "The Dual Relationship in America".
(b) "The Duality of Life".
(c) "Mixed Emotions".
3. How many pieces of art does the last section in "Afro-American Past - History and Folk Tradition" have?
4. Why has democracy worked so well in America, according to "Our Greatest Gift to America"?
(a) Skin color measures a man's worth.
(b) Negroes are inferior to the government.
(c) White's are supreme in this way of living.
(d) It divides the power evenly.
5. What does the author of "The Negro Digs Up His Past" conclude with?
(a) He presents an idea that a new day has come for Negroes.
(b) With a challenge to the Negro race.
(c) With a poem.
(d) With a song.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "Sterling Brown: The New Negro Folk Poet"?
2. Who is the author of "A Southern Road"?
3. How many poems of Countee Cullen's follow "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual" in the section "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage"?
4. Who is the author of the poem "Conception"?
5. What does Hurston say about Negro art?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what Hurston examines in "Spirituals and Neo-Spirituals".
2. Discuss what the singing stone is in "Uncle Monday" by Hurston.
3. Discuss what Locke addresses in "Art or Propaganda".
4. Discuss what Georgia Douglas Johnson's poem, "Old Black Men" addresses.
5. Discuss what is described in "The Lynching" by Claude McKay.
6. Explain what Schuyler's essay "Our Greatest Gift to America" is about.
7. Discuss what Hughes's poem "Mother to Son" addresses.
8. Discuss what Hughes notices in most Negro families in relation to their perception of whites in "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
9. Discuss what happens in Wallace Thurman's "Infants of Spring".
10. Discuss the significance of the writing style in Cuney's poem, "Conception".
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)