|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the boxer from the essay "Wedding Day" leave America to go to?
2. Who wrote "Sonnet to a Negro in Harlem"?
(b) Helene Johnson.
3. What is the title of Marcus A. Garvey's essay that follows "Garveyism"?
(a) "The New Negro".
(b) "The New Negro- What Is He".
(c) "Africa for the Africans".
(d) If We Must Die".
4. What is the main character of "Sweat" afraid of?
5. What did the police officer of Johnson's essay think the wife was doing on the street corner?
(a) Acting drunk.
(c) Waiting for someone.
(d) About to jay walk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "If We Must Die"?
2. Who supposedly bewitches the main character of "Luani of the Jungles"?
3. What will the new leader not rest until he achieves in "A New Crowd - A New Negro"?
4. What seems to be the consensus of the essays in "New Negro Radicalism"?
5. According to Garvey, what does he feel is the opposite result of the construction of a great African nation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Randolph's description of how the "new crowd" should behave in his essay "A New Crowd - A New Negro".
2. Discuss the "voodoo" in "Luani of the Jungles" by Langston Hughes.
3. Describe the August 1900 incident that occurs in "Black Manhattan".
4. Discuss what Locke describes as " a new vision of opportunity" in "The New Negro".
5. Discuss what Nancy Cunard says in "Harlem Reviewed" about Harlem's physical attributes.
6. Describe what W. E. B. DuBois's essay "Race Pride" addresses.
7. Discuss the prejudice shown in "Wedding Day" by Gwendolyn Bennett.
8. Discuss the struggle Paul deals with in "Cane" by Jean Toomer.
9. Discuss what Locke questions in "The Legacy of the Ancestral Arts".
10. Discuss what happens in Fisher's story "Blades of Steel".
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)