|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Locke analyze in relation to the conditions and movement of the "new Negro"?
(a) Trends and their tendencies to move.
(b) What motivated them to move.
(c) Where they move and migrateto.
(d) Why they migrated to the locations they chose.
2. What follows the essay "A Long Way from Home"?
(a) A map.
(b) 2 descriptive poems.
(c) A catalogue of events.
(d) A diary entry.
3. What does Johnson say about the Negro Manhattan?
(a) It's dilapidated.
(b) It's overpopulated.
(c) He loves it.
(d) It's the most beautiful and healthful.
4. In "Africa for the Africans", what does Domingo say about the enslavement of Negroes?
(a) Africa enslaved the most slaves before the US Civil War.
(b) Negroes haves been manipulated into killing and enslaving Negroes.
(c) Enslavement still exists today.
(d) They were all enslaved once.
5. What does Locke notice about the bars and clubs in "The Legacy of Ancestral Arts"?
(a) They are now attracting a white clientele.
(b) Whites are serving Negroes.
(c) Whites are just now being allowed to enter.
(d) Whites are prohibited.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police refuse in response to the murdered police officer in Johnson's essay?
2. What does Locke say the Negro is willing to work for in "The New Negro"?
3. Who wrote the essay "Race Pride"?
4. Which essay addresses the August 1900 incident?
5. What essay concludes with the idea that labor organizations should "harness the discontent of Negroes" in order to obtain "working class emancipation"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss how James Weldon Johnson describes Harlem in "Black Manhattan".
2. Discuss what Nancy Cunard says in "Harlem Reviewed" about Harlem's physical attributes.
3. Describe Randolph's description of how the "new crowd" should behave in his essay "A New Crowd - A New Negro".
4. Describe how Alain Locke's "The New Negro" defines the "new negro" as.
5. Describe what Locke says about the "American Negro" in "The New Negro".
6. What does "Garveyism" by A. Phillip Randolph address?
7. Discuss what occurred in response to the August 1900 incident.
8. Discuss what Locke questions in "The Legacy of the Ancestral Arts".
9. Discuss what happens in Fisher's story "Blades of Steel".
10. Describe what W. E. B. DuBois's essay "Race Pride" addresses.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)