|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which essay does Garvey outline the specifics of his plan to establish an empire in Africa?
(a) "Race Pride".
(c) "Defense of the Negro Rioters".
(d) "The Future As I See It".
2. What does the boy buy Nicey at the end of "City Love"?
(a) A hat.
(b) A purse.
3. What does McKay describe in "A Long Way from Home"?
(a) His journey away from home.
(b) The arrival at Ellis Island.
(c) His journey home.
4. What does the "New Negro" believe in?
(a) The rights of equality.
(b) The rights to work with whites.
(c) The rights to be wealthy.
(d) The rights of others and free press and assembly.
5. What was formed as a response to the police's refusals in Johnson's essay?
(a) Protection Gangs.
(b) Citizen Protection.
(c) Leagues of Prtection.
(d) Citizens Protective League.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says "white folks is white" in one of Cullen's poems?
2. What characteristic does the attitude of the "New Crowd" take?
3. Which essay addresses the August 1900 incident?
4. How many outcomes does Randolph attribute to Mr. Garvey's ideals in "Garveyism"?
5. What do the police refuse in response to the murdered police officer in Johnson's essay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what W. A. Domingo writes the "New Negro" must be able to do in "If We Must Die".
2. Describe the attitudes of the men's essays in the section New Negro Radicalism and the interpretation they leave for the reader.
3. Describe how Domingo finds any person ever accused of being involved with race riots in his essay "Race Pride".
4. Discuss what occurred in response to the August 1900 incident.
5. Describe what Marcus A. Garvey's "Africa for Africans" reasons.
6. Discuss how James Weldon Johnson describes Harlem in "Black Manhattan".
7. Discuss the prejudice shown in "Wedding Day" by Gwendolyn Bennett.
8. Describe how Alain Locke's "The New Negro" defines the "new negro" as.
9. Discuss what Effie's role represents in Fisher's story "Blades of Steel".
10. What does "Garveyism" by A. Phillip Randolph address?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)