|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote "If We Must Die"?
(c) James Weldon Johnson.
2. What is said that the "New Negro" will not allow from politicians in "The New Negro - What Is He"?
(a) To take their tax money.
(b) To campaign in their area.
(c) To diminsih their goals.
(d) To make empty promises.
3. What kind of changes does Locke see in the overall perception of Negroes?
(a) Postive changes.
(b) Small changes.
(c) Negative changes.
(d) Big, radical changes.
4. Where does the boxer from the essay "Wedding Day" leave America to go to?
5. Who hates the main character of "Sweat"?
(a) Her daughter.
(b) Her mom.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her son.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what essay does the author state that "a Negro will turn on another Negro if ordered"?
2. What does Fisher miss when he is away at medical school in "The Caucasian Storms Harlem"?
3. What does Locke notice about the bars and clubs in "The Legacy of Ancestral Arts"?
4. Which essay addresses the August 1900 incident?
5. Who was selected president for the group that was formed in response to the police's refusals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what James Weldon Johnson says about Dunbar as a poet in "The Book of American Negro Poetry".
2. Describe how Domingo finds any person ever accused of being involved with race riots in his essay "Race Pride".
3. Discuss what "Fifty Years" by James Weldon Johnson addresses and is significant to.
4. Describe Randolph's description of how the "new crowd" should behave in his essay "A New Crowd - A New Negro".
5. Discuss what Richard Wright offers in "Blueprint for Negro Writing".
6. Discuss the "voodoo" in "Luani of the Jungles" by Langston Hughes.
7. Discuss what happens in Wallace Thurman's "Infants of Spring".
8. Discuss what happens in Zora Neale Hurston's story "Sweat".
9. Describe what W. A. Domingo writes the "New Negro" must be able to do in "If We Must Die".
10. Describe how Alain Locke's "The New Negro" defines the "new negro" as.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)