|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the boy buy Nicey at the end of "City Love"?
(a) A purse.
(d) A hat.
2. Who says that those participating in the riots were acting out of self-defense?
(d) Du Bois.
3. What is suggested that the whites must do in "Race Pride"?
(a) Stand a fight the fight.
(b) Accept men as equal.
(c) Leave Asian and African countries.
(d) Leave Asia and African countries or accept all men as equal.
4. What is the name of the police officer who is stabbed and killed in Johnson's essay?
(a) Robert Thorpe.
(b) Robert Thatcher.
(c) Rob Thorne.
(d) Bobby Therron.
5. What does Locke analyze in relation to the conditions and movement of the "new Negro"?
(a) Why they migrated to the locations they chose.
(b) Where they move and migrateto.
(c) What motivated them to move.
(d) Trends and their tendencies to move.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was selected president for the group that was formed in response to the police's refusals?
2. According to Garvey, what does he feel is the opposite result of the construction of a great African nation?
3. What does the poem, "Poem", say the author has in common with the "little brown boy"?
4. Who wrote "Sonnet to a Negro in Harlem"?
5. What does Fisher miss when he is away at medical school in "The Caucasian Storms Harlem"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what theme the first essays in the section "New Negro Radicalism" have in common.
2. Describe how Alain Locke's "The New Negro" defines the "new negro" as.
3. Describe the beginning and end of "From the Messenger - A Menace to Radicalism".
4. Discuss what Effie's role represents in Fisher's story "Blades of Steel".
5. Discuss the struggle Paul deals with in "Cane" by Jean Toomer.
6. What does Helene Johnson's poem "Poem" describe?
7. Discuss what happens in Fisher's story "Blades of Steel".
8. Describe the attitudes of the men's essays in the section New Negro Radicalism and the interpretation they leave for the reader.
9. Discuss what Nancy Cunard says in "Harlem Reviewed" about Harlem's physical attributes.
10. Discuss how James Weldon Johnson describes Harlem in "Black Manhattan".
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)