|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many outcomes does Randolph attribute to Mr. Garvey's ideals in "Garveyism"?
2. What does the boy buy Nicey at the end of "City Love"?
(b) A hat.
(c) A purse.
3. What age does Cullen specifically focus on in her writings?
4. Who supposedly bewitches the main character of "Luani of the Jungles"?
(a) A fortune teller.
(b) A young Negro woman.
(c) A gypsy.
(d) A Negro sailor.
5. What does Locke say unites the "American Negro"?
(a) A common heritage.
(b) A common race.
(c) A common ideology.
(d) A common experience.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Garvey hope to achieve from his plan to build an empire in Africa?
2. Who says that those participating in the riots were acting out of self-defense?
3. What is the title of Marcus A. Garvey's essay that follows "Garveyism"?
4. What does the main character of "Sweat" do for a living?
5. What does the poem, "Poem", say the author has in common with the "little brown boy"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Fenton Johnson story "The Banjo Player".
2. Describe the question Randolph poses in his essay "A New Crowd - A New Negro".
3. Describe how Alain Locke's "The New Negro" defines the "new negro" as.
4. Discuss what Locke describes as " a new vision of opportunity" in "The New Negro".
5. Describe what Locke says about the "American Negro" in "The New Negro".
6. Describe what Hughes discusses in "The Big Sea".
7. Discuss what James Weldon Johnson says about Dunbar as a poet in "The Book of American Negro Poetry".
8. Discuss what is described in "The Lynching" by Claude McKay.
9. Describe what happens in Jean Toomer's story "Cane".
10. Discuss what happens in Wallace Thurman's "Infants of Spring".
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)