|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Locke describing when he says "its a place inhabited and controlled by Negroes of many different walks of life"?
2. What is the title of Marcus A. Garvey's essay that follows "Garveyism"?
(a) If We Must Die".
(b) "The New Negro- What Is He".
(c) "Africa for the Africans".
(d) "The New Negro".
3. Who gives a list of leaders who fall under the category of the "Old Crowd"?
(c) Du Bois.
4. In "Africa for the Africans", what does Domingo say about the enslavement of Negroes?
(a) Africa enslaved the most slaves before the US Civil War.
(b) Negroes haves been manipulated into killing and enslaving Negroes.
(c) They were all enslaved once.
(d) Enslavement still exists today.
5. How many outcomes does Randolph attribute to Mr. Garvey's ideals in "Garveyism"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the conflict in "Sweat"?
2. According to Locke, how do Negroes respond to their treatment by other races?
3. Who says that those participating in the riots were acting out of self-defense?
4. Who says "white folks is white" in one of Cullen's poems?
5. What does McKay describe in "A Long Way from Home"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what Hughes addresses in his essay, "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
2. Discuss Fenton Johnson story "The Banjo Player".
3. Describe what W. E. B. DuBois's essay "Race Pride" addresses.
4. Discuss Schuyler's opinion of democracy.
5. Discuss what Nancy Cunard says in "Harlem Reviewed" about Harlem's physical attributes.
6. What does "Garveyism" by A. Phillip Randolph address?
7. Discuss Hurston's essay "Shouting".
8. Discuss what happens in Zora Neale Hurston's story "Sweat".
9. Discuss what Locke questions in "The Legacy of the Ancestral Arts".
10. Discuss what Hughes notices in most Negro families in relation to their perception of whites in "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)