|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What aspect of the Negro culture does Locke discuss?
(a) The spiritual aspect was supported.
(b) The spiritual aspect was beaten down.
(c) The spiritualitywas non-existent.
(d) The physicality was missing.
2. What is the title of Marcus A. Garvey's essay that follows "Garveyism"?
(a) "Africa for the Africans".
(b) "The New Negro".
(c) "The New Negro- What Is He".
(d) If We Must Die".
3. Who sings "Shake that Thing" at local bars in the essay by Claude McKay?
4. According to Locke, why have Negroes been treated a certain way?
(a) Lack of love.
(b) Lack of money.
(d) Lack of education.
5. According to Locke, how do Negroes respond to their treatment by other races?
(a) They back down.
(b) They fight back.
(c) They allow themselves to be ridiculed.
(d) They use it as an excuse to behave the way they do.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the police officer of Johnson's essay think the wife was doing on the street corner?
2. What is said that the "New Negro" will not allow from politicians in "The New Negro - What Is He"?
3. Who was selected president for the group that was formed in response to the police's refusals?
4. In "Africa for the Africans", what does Domingo say about the enslavement of Negroes?
5. What does Fisher miss when he is away at medical school in "The Caucasian Storms Harlem"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the prejudice shown in "Wedding Day" by Gwendolyn Bennett.
2. Discuss how James Weldon Johnson describes Harlem in "Black Manhattan".
3. Discuss what Locke questions in "The Legacy of the Ancestral Arts".
4. Describe Randolph's description of how the "new crowd" should behave in his essay "A New Crowd - A New Negro".
5. Discuss what happens in Zora Neale Hurston's story "Sweat".
6. Discuss the significance in Paul's taking the time to correct the thoughts of the doorman at the hotel in Toomer's story "Cane".
7. Discuss what happens in Fisher's story "Blades of Steel".
8. Discuss what Nancy Cunard says in "Harlem Reviewed" about Harlem's physical attributes.
9. Describe what Locke says about the "American Negro" in "The New Negro".
10. Describe the August 1900 incident that occurs in "Black Manhattan".
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)