|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will the new leader not rest until he achieves in "A New Crowd - A New Negro"?
(a) Until the new negro has an equal footing.
(b) Until he receives national recognition.
(c) Until the old crowd dies.
(d) Until women are seen as equal.
2. Who gives a list of leaders who fall under the category of the "Old Crowd"?
(a) Du Bois.
3. What is the conflict in "Sweat"?
(b) Sykes's beatings.
(c) Delia's husband is sleeping with another woman.
4. What follows the essay "A Long Way from Home"?
(a) A map.
(b) A diary entry.
(c) A catalogue of events.
(d) 2 descriptive poems.
5. Who cuts Cozzens with a razor from Pop Overton's shop in "Blades of Steel"?
(c) Pop Overton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "Blades of Steel"?
2. Who is the author of "Harlem Reviewed"?
3. Who was selected president for the group that was formed in response to the police's refusals?
4. What do the essays in the section "Afro-American Identity - Who Am I" have in common?
5. Who supposedly bewitches the main character of "Luani of the Jungles"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what Locke questions in "The Legacy of the Ancestral Arts".
2. Describe what Marcus A. Garvey's "Africa for Africans" reasons.
3. Discuss how James Weldon Johnson describes Harlem in "Black Manhattan".
4. Discuss what Locke describes as " a new vision of opportunity" in "The New Negro".
5. Describe how Alain Locke's "The New Negro" defines the "new negro" as.
6. Describe how Domingo finds any person ever accused of being involved with race riots in his essay "Race Pride".
7. Discuss the significance in Paul's taking the time to correct the thoughts of the doorman at the hotel in Toomer's story "Cane".
8. Describe Randolph's description of how the "new crowd" should behave in his essay "A New Crowd - A New Negro".
9. Discuss the "voodoo" in "Luani of the Jungles" by Langston Hughes.
10. Discuss what happens in Zora Neale Hurston's story "Sweat".
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)