|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Domingo, what are the men of the "New Crowd" filled with?
(a) A burning passion for equality.
(b) A will to fight fire with fire.
(c) Desrie to become equal.
2. What does McKay describe in "A Long Way from Home"?
(a) The arrival at Ellis Island.
(b) His journey away from home.
(c) His journey home.
3. What is the title of Marcus A. Garvey's essay that follows "Garveyism"?
(a) If We Must Die".
(b) "The New Negro- What Is He".
(c) "The New Negro".
(d) "Africa for the Africans".
4. What does Locke say unites the "American Negro"?
(a) A common experience.
(b) A common race.
(c) A common heritage.
(d) A common ideology.
5. What does the essay "Afro-American Fragment" address?
(a) Their fragments of art work.
(b) The lack of personal information most have about their homeland, Africa.
(c) Their fragments of love.
(d) Their fragmented lifestyles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the poem immediately following "The Legacy of Ancestral Arts" by Countee Cullen address?
2. What question is posed in regards to leadership roles of "A New Crowd - A New Negro"?
3. In which essay does Garvey outline the specifics of his plan to establish an empire in Africa?
4. Who is the author of "Blades of Steel"?
5. Who gives a list of leaders who fall under the category of the "Old Crowd"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss how James Weldon Johnson describes Harlem in "Black Manhattan".
2. Discuss what Wallace Thurman's editorial discusses about magazines aimed at Negroes.
3. Describe how Alain Locke's "The New Negro" defines the "new negro" as.
4. Describe the attitudes of the men's essays in the section New Negro Radicalism and the interpretation they leave for the reader.
5. Discuss what Locke describes as " a new vision of opportunity" in "The New Negro".
6. Discuss what happens in Fisher's story "Blades of Steel".
7. Discuss the prejudice shown in "Wedding Day" by Gwendolyn Bennett.
8. Describe what Locke says about the "American Negro" in "The New Negro".
9. What does Helene Johnson's poem "Poem" describe?
10. Discuss the "voodoo" in "Luani of the Jungles" by Langston Hughes.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)