|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What technique does Hurston discuss in "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual"?
(a) The technique of sounds production.
(b) The technique to conjure spirits.
(d) Breathing in songs and sermons.
2. What is the title of the poem by Hughes that explains how life is not always a straight path, but a journey to rise?
(a) "Mother to Son".
(b) "Run to Rise".
(c) "Dream Variations".
(d) "Song for a Dark Girl".
3. What is the title of the 3 line poem?
(a) "If We Must Die".
(b) "Dream Variations".
(d) "Old Black Men".
4. What is the title of Wallace Thurman's story?
(a) "Youthful Summer".
(d) "Infants of Spring".
5. Who is the author of "Art or Propaganda"?
6. What characteristics are given to Sweetie Mary Carr?
(a) Vulagr and old.
(b) Crude and funny.
(c) Funny and vulgar.
(d) Fat and ugly.
7. When was "Fifty Years" written?
(a) 50 years before slavery begins.
(b) The 50th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation.
(c) 50 years after slavery ends.
(d) The 50th anniversary of the start of the Civil War.
8. Who believes Africans did not add any words to the English language?
(a) No one.
(c) Some etymologists.
9. Who is the 3 line poem about?
(b) George Washington.
(c) The Union Soldiers.
10. Who is the author of "Song of the Son"?
11. How many pieces of art does the last section in "Afro-American Past - History and Folk Tradition" have?
12. According to "Our Greatest Gift to America", where do Negroes frequently spend their time?
13. Which of the following is NOT a poem written by Countee Cullen?
(a) "Yet Do I Marvel".
(b) "For a Poet".
(c) "Annabelle Lee".
(d) "To John Keets, Poet, At Springtime".
14. Who is the author of "Fifty Years"?
(a) James Weldon Johnson.
15. Who says there is a "decadent strain" in the works of the Negro artists due to their lack of connection to its roots, in Thurman's story?
(a) Dr. Parkes.
(b) Dr. P.
(c) Dr. Perkins.
(d) Dr. Park.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the poem that expresses McKay's love and hatred for America?
2. What do most of the poems in the section "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage" have in common?
3. What type of literary writing style is effective in the 3 line poem?
4. How does Hurston originally define the word "jook"?
5. What term is coined to mean that African Americans do not produce art specific to their race due to the absorption of American ways?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)