|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hurston later give credit to a "jook" being?
(a) A song.
(b) A house.
(c) A type of movement or dance.
(d) A food.
2. What does the author of "The Negro Digs up His Past" attribute his ideology to?
(a) Reclaimed background of the race as a whole.
(b) Self knowledge.
(c) His desire to be famous.
(d) Self motivation.
3. Who is always one step higher than the Negroes, according to Schuyler?
(c) The next poorest.
(d) The poorest of the poor.
4. Why has democracy worked so well in America, according to "Our Greatest Gift to America"?
(a) Skin color measures a man's worth.
(b) Negroes are inferior to the government.
(c) White's are supreme in this way of living.
(d) It divides the power evenly.
5. Who is the author of "Go Down Death"?
(d) James Weldon Johnson.
6. Who is the author of the poem "Conception"?
7. What does the poem "Old Black Men" describe?
(a) They're age.
(b) They're relationships.
(c) They're color.
(d) The old men realize life hasn't turned out as they planned.
8. Who argues that Negroes did alter the English language?
(a) No one.
(b) Some etymologists.
9. What is the title of the poem by Hughes that explains how life is not always a straight path, but a journey to rise?
(a) "Run to Rise".
(b) "Song for a Dark Girl".
(c) "Mother to Son".
(d) "Dream Variations".
10. Who is the author of "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
(d) Arthur A. Schomberg.
11. Who is the 3 line poem about?
(a) The Union Soldiers.
(c) George Washington.
12. What does Cullen seem to indicate about heaven in her poem "She of the Dancing Feet Sings"?
(a) That heaven is really fun.
(b) That eveyone is pretty in heaven.
(c) That heaven is a very serious place.
(d) That everyone in heaven is really talented.
13. What is the title of the essay by Langston Hughes that delves into the racial stumbling block Negro artists face?
(a) "The Race to be an Artist".
(b) "The Artist and its Race".
(c) "The Race and the Artist".
(d) "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
14. What is the title of James Weldon Johnson's book that details events about Negro artists in general and poets in particular?
(a) "Study of Negro Artistry".
(b) "Study of Works by Negroes".
(c) "The Book of American Negro Poetry".
(d) "Negro Artist's and Poet's Revisited".
15. Who is the author of "Sterling Brown: The New Negro Folk Poet"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first sees Uncle Monday in Hurston's story "Uncle Monday"?
2. What does Hurston examine in "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual"?
3. According to Hughes, what does he find to be a subconscious belief in most Negro homes?
4. What is Hurston's story "Shouting" about?
5. What does Cullen seem to wonder in her poem "She of the Dancing Feet Sings"?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)