|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "Song of the Son"?
2. What does Hurston later give credit to a "jook" being?
(a) A type of movement or dance.
(b) A food.
(c) A house.
(d) A song.
3. Who is the author of "Art or Propaganda"?
4. According to Hughes, what does he find to be a subconscious belief in most Negro homes?
(a) To be white means wealth.
(b) That they are inferior to whites.
(c) To be white is better.
(d) To be white means power.
5. In the poem "If We Must Die", what does McKay compare the killings of his race to?
6. Why do Negroes mimic according to Hurston?
(a) To feel better.
(b) For money.
(c) For the fun; not to be like others.
(d) To be like others.
7. What is the influence of the Negro's heritage artwork compared to in "The Negro-Art Hokum"?
(a) Indian descent.
(b) European descent.
(d) Migration in China.
8. Which of the following is NOT a poem written by Countee Cullen?
(a) "Annabelle Lee".
(b) "For a Poet".
(c) "Yet Do I Marvel".
(d) "To John Keets, Poet, At Springtime".
9. Who is the author of "The Negro-Art Hokum"?
(a) George S. Schuyler.
(b) Geroge Smith.
(c) George Shultz.
10. Who is the author of the poem "Conception"?
11. What does the poem "Old Black Men" describe?
(a) The old men realize life hasn't turned out as they planned.
(b) They're age.
(c) They're color.
(d) They're relationships.
12. What animal remains by Aunt Judy Bickerstaff in "Uncle Monday" until she begins to doubt herself?
(a) A giraffe.
(b) A snake.
(c) A crocodile.
(d) An alligator.
13. Who is the author of "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
(d) Arthur A. Schomberg.
14. What does Hurston think about the originality of Negro artwork?
(a) It's abstract.
(b) It's appealing.
(c) It is original, although often discredited.
(d) She thinks it is unoriginal.
15. Who is given credit to be the first Negro poet to be able to "rise to a height from which he could take a perspective view of his own race"?
(a) Paul Laurence Dunbar.
(b) Paulene Laurence.
(c) Paul Doohey.
(d) Lauren Dunbar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What technique does Hurston discuss in "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual"?
2. What type of literary writing style is effective in the 3 line poem?
3. What question does Brown end his poem "Remembering Nat Turner" with?
4. What does the author of "Art or Propaganda" believe about the sustainability of art?
5. What is the name of the woman in "Go Down Death"?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)