|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Thurman's story, who asks why he should focus only on his African roots when he has Indian and German roots as well?
(a) Dr. Parkes.
2. What is Hurston's story "Shouting" about?
(a) Shouting in religious ceremonies.
(b) Shouting in fear.
(c) Shouting in anger.
(d) Shouting in torment.
3. What is the title of Jess Redmond's poem?
(a) "Fire Flies".
(b) "Dead Flies".
(c) "Dead Fires".
(d) "Night Flies".
4. Who is the author of the poem "Conception"?
5. Who is the author of "Fifty Years"?
(c) James Weldon Johnson.
6. Who is the author of "Go Down Death"?
(c) James Weldon Johnson.
7. Who is the 3 line poem about?
(b) George Washington.
(c) The Union Soldiers.
8. Who says there is a "decadent strain" in the works of the Negro artists due to their lack of connection to its roots, in Thurman's story?
(a) Dr. P.
(b) Dr. Parkes.
(c) Dr. Perkins.
(d) Dr. Park.
9. Whose growls are heard by the people at the end of "Uncle Monday"?
(a) The giraffe's.
(b) The dogs.
(c) The alligator's.
(d) The crocodile's.
10. What is the name of the host and novelist in Thurman's story?
11. Who first sees Uncle Monday in Hurston's story "Uncle Monday"?
(a) Lindsey Joeseph.
(b) Joe Lindsay.
(c) Joey Lawrence.
(d) Joeseph Lies.
12. In the poem "If We Must Die", what does McKay compare the killings of his race to?
13. What does Hurston think about the originality of Negro artwork?
(a) It is original, although often discredited.
(b) It's abstract.
(c) It's appealing.
(d) She thinks it is unoriginal.
14. Who is the author of "Our Greatest Gift to America"?
(b) Helene Johnson.
15. What is the title of James Weldon Johnson's book that details events about Negro artists in general and poets in particular?
(a) "Study of Works by Negroes".
(b) "Study of Negro Artistry".
(c) "The Book of American Negro Poetry".
(d) "Negro Artist's and Poet's Revisited".
Short Answer Questions
1. What do most of the poems in the section "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage" have in common?
2. Why has democracy worked so well in America, according to "Our Greatest Gift to America"?
3. How does Hurston originally define the word "jook"?
4. How many poems of Countee Cullen's follow "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual" in the section "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage"?
5. How does the section "Art and Propaganda" end?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)