|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the host and novelist in Thurman's story?
2. Who first sees Uncle Monday in Hurston's story "Uncle Monday"?
(a) Joe Lindsay.
(b) Lindsey Joeseph.
(c) Joeseph Lies.
(d) Joey Lawrence.
3. Whose growls are heard by the people at the end of "Uncle Monday"?
(a) The dogs.
(b) The crocodile's.
(c) The alligator's.
(d) The giraffe's.
4. What is the title of James Weldon Johnson's book that details events about Negro artists in general and poets in particular?
(a) "Study of Negro Artistry".
(b) "Study of Works by Negroes".
(c) "The Book of American Negro Poetry".
(d) "Negro Artist's and Poet's Revisited".
5. What is the title of Hughes's poem that points out that artistic endeavors can release the "hurt in your heart"?
(c) "Hurt Heart".
6. What does the author of "Art or Propaganda" believe about the sustainability of art?
(a) It needs to be durable to last.
(b) It needs a purpose.
(c) Someone has to feel connected to it.
(d) It must have propaganda.
7. What does Hurston examine in "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual"?
(c) The originis of spirits.
(d) The origins of hymns.
8. What is the title of McKay's poem where people gather around a lynched man?
(a) "The Lynched".
(b) "To Witness Lynching".
(c) "The Lynching".
(d) "Lynched: Past and Present".
9. Why do Negroes mimic according to Hurston?
(a) For the fun; not to be like others.
(b) To be like others.
(c) For money.
(d) To feel better.
10. What is the title of the poem by Hughes that explains how life is not always a straight path, but a journey to rise?
(a) "Mother to Son".
(b) "Song for a Dark Girl".
(c) "Run to Rise".
(d) "Dream Variations".
11. How does the section "Art and Propaganda" end?
(a) With 2 songs.
(b) With an essay.
(c) With 2 interviews.
(d) With 2 poems.
12. Which of the following is NOT a poem written by Countee Cullen?
(a) "Annabelle Lee".
(b) "To John Keets, Poet, At Springtime".
(c) "Yet Do I Marvel".
(d) "For a Poet".
13. What is the title of the 3 line poem?
(a) "If We Must Die".
(b) "Old Black Men".
(d) "Dream Variations".
14. Who is the author of "Art or Propaganda"?
15. In Thurman's story, who asks why he should focus only on his African roots when he has Indian and German roots as well?
(d) Dr. Parkes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has democracy worked so well in America, according to "Our Greatest Gift to America"?
2. When was "Fifty Years" written?
3. Who is the author of "Our Greatest Gift to America"?
4. What does the mother mean when she tells her son to "not act like a nigger" in the essay by Hughes?
5. Who argues that Negroes did alter the English language?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)