|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many poems of Countee Cullen's follow "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual" in the section "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage"?
2. Who argues that Negroes did alter the English language?
(a) No one.
(c) Some etymologists.
3. Who is the 3 line poem about?
(a) George Washington.
(b) The Union Soldiers.
4. Who believes Africans did not add any words to the English language?
(a) Some etymologists.
(b) No one.
5. Who arrived in America as a child and was purchased by a man in Boston?
(a) Phyllis Wheatley.
(b) Phyllis Whitney.
(c) Phil Wheatney.
(d) Eli Whitney.
6. What type of literary writing style is effective in the 3 line poem?
(a) The words are rounded off at the end to mimic the Negro speech.
(b) It uses symbolism.
(c) The words are written in perfect speech.
(d) It uses dramatic irony.
7. What does the poem "Old Black Men" describe?
(a) They're color.
(b) They're relationships.
(c) They're age.
(d) The old men realize life hasn't turned out as they planned.
8. What does Cullen seem to indicate about heaven in her poem "She of the Dancing Feet Sings"?
(a) That heaven is a very serious place.
(b) That heaven is really fun.
(c) That everyone in heaven is really talented.
(d) That eveyone is pretty in heaven.
9. What is the title of the poem by Hughes that explains how life is not always a straight path, but a journey to rise?
(a) "Mother to Son".
(b) "Song for a Dark Girl".
(c) "Dream Variations".
(d) "Run to Rise".
10. Who first sees Uncle Monday in Hurston's story "Uncle Monday"?
(a) Joeseph Lies.
(b) Joe Lindsay.
(c) Joey Lawrence.
(d) Lindsey Joeseph.
11. Who is the author of "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
(c) Arthur A. Schomberg.
12. When was "Fifty Years" written?
(a) 50 years after slavery ends.
(b) The 50th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation.
(c) 50 years before slavery begins.
(d) The 50th anniversary of the start of the Civil War.
13. What is the title of the 3 line poem?
(a) "Dream Variations".
(c) "If We Must Die".
(d) "Old Black Men".
14. What is the title of James Weldon Johnson's book that details events about Negro artists in general and poets in particular?
(a) "Study of Works by Negroes".
(b) "Negro Artist's and Poet's Revisited".
(c) "Study of Negro Artistry".
(d) "The Book of American Negro Poetry".
15. How does Hurston originally define the word "jook"?
(a) A bawdy house.
(b) A song.
(c) A food.
(d) A type of person.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hurston's story "Shouting" about?
2. Why has democracy worked so well in America, according to "Our Greatest Gift to America"?
3. What does the author say about Negro men and slave trade in "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
4. Who is given credit to be the first Negro poet to be able to "rise to a height from which he could take a perspective view of his own race"?
5. What does the author of "The Negro Digs Up His Past" conclude with?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)