|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "Sterling Brown: The New Negro Folk Poet"?
2. Why do people in the village go to visit Uncle Monday in "Uncle Monday"?
(a) To be cured.
(b) For his craft.
(c) To hear his stories.
(d) To take pictures.
3. Who first sees Uncle Monday in Hurston's story "Uncle Monday"?
(a) Joe Lindsay.
(b) Lindsey Joeseph.
(c) Joeseph Lies.
(d) Joey Lawrence.
4. Who is the author of "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
(d) Arthur A. Schomberg.
5. Who argues that Negroes did alter the English language?
(a) Some etymologists.
(d) No one.
6. What animal remains by Aunt Judy Bickerstaff in "Uncle Monday" until she begins to doubt herself?
(a) A giraffe.
(b) A crocodile.
(c) An alligator.
(d) A snake.
7. How many pieces of art does the last section in "Afro-American Past - History and Folk Tradition" have?
8. Whose growls are heard by the people at the end of "Uncle Monday"?
(a) The alligator's.
(b) The dogs.
(c) The giraffe's.
(d) The crocodile's.
9. What does Hurston think about the originality of Negro artwork?
(a) It's appealing.
(b) It is original, although often discredited.
(c) She thinks it is unoriginal.
(d) It's abstract.
10. Who believes Africans did not add any words to the English language?
(a) No one.
(d) Some etymologists.
11. What question does Brown end his poem "Remembering Nat Turner" with?
(a) If he'll remember Turner.
(b) If Turner is innocent.
(c) If Turner is the murderer.
(d) If Turner is now at rest?
12. What characteristics are given to Sweetie Mary Carr?
(a) Vulagr and old.
(b) Fat and ugly.
(c) Crude and funny.
(d) Funny and vulgar.
13. Why do Negroes mimic according to Hurston?
(a) For the fun; not to be like others.
(b) To feel better.
(c) To be like others.
(d) For money.
14. Whose idea was that the Negro race is part of a greater destiny?
(b) James Weldon Johnson.
15. Who is the 3 line poem about?
(c) George Washington.
(d) The Union Soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hurston later give credit to a "jook" being?
2. What is the title of the 3 line poem?
3. Which poet uses the word "if" as a basis for a sonnet to his mother?
4. What is the name of the host and novelist in Thurman's story?
5. Who is given credit to be the first Negro poet to be able to "rise to a height from which he could take a perspective view of his own race"?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)