|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of the essay by Langston Hughes that delves into the racial stumbling block Negro artists face?
(a) "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
(b) "The Race and the Artist".
(c) "The Artist and its Race".
(d) "The Race to be an Artist".
2. Who is the author of "Fifty Years"?
(c) James Weldon Johnson.
3. When was "Fifty Years" written?
(a) 50 years after slavery ends.
(b) The 50th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation.
(c) The 50th anniversary of the start of the Civil War.
(d) 50 years before slavery begins.
4. According to Hughes, what does he find to be a subconscious belief in most Negro homes?
(a) That they are inferior to whites.
(b) To be white means wealth.
(c) To be white means power.
(d) To be white is better.
5. Why do people in the village go to visit Uncle Monday in "Uncle Monday"?
(a) To hear his stories.
(b) For his craft.
(c) To take pictures.
(d) To be cured.
6. Who is the author of "Art or Propaganda"?
7. Who is the author of "Sterling Brown: The New Negro Folk Poet"?
8. What is the title of James Weldon Johnson's book that details events about Negro artists in general and poets in particular?
(a) "The Book of American Negro Poetry".
(b) "Study of Negro Artistry".
(c) "Study of Works by Negroes".
(d) "Negro Artist's and Poet's Revisited".
9. What type of literary writing style is effective in the 3 line poem?
(a) The words are written in perfect speech.
(b) It uses dramatic irony.
(c) The words are rounded off at the end to mimic the Negro speech.
(d) It uses symbolism.
10. Who is always one step higher than the Negroes, according to Schuyler?
(b) The next poorest.
(d) The poorest of the poor.
11. What is the name of the host and novelist in Thurman's story?
12. Who first sees Uncle Monday in Hurston's story "Uncle Monday"?
(a) Joe Lindsay.
(b) Joeseph Lies.
(c) Joey Lawrence.
(d) Lindsey Joeseph.
13. What does Hurston examine in "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual"?
(c) The origins of hymns.
(d) The originis of spirits.
14. What does the mother mean when she tells her son to "not act like a nigger" in the essay by Hughes?
(a) To act rich.
(b) To not act poor.
(c) To misbehave.
(d) To act right.
15. What is the title of McKay's poem where people gather around a lynched man?
(a) "The Lynching".
(b) "Lynched: Past and Present".
(c) "To Witness Lynching".
(d) "The Lynched".
Short Answer Questions
1. Which poet uses the word "if" as a basis for a sonnet to his mother?
2. What question does Brown end his poem "Remembering Nat Turner" with?
3. Who believes Africans did not add any words to the English language?
4. What does Hurston say about Negro art?
5. What does the author say about Negro men and slave trade in "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)