|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Jess Redmond's poem?
(a) "Dead Flies".
(b) "Dead Fires".
(c) "Fire Flies".
(d) "Night Flies".
2. What does the author of "Go Down Death" describe the poem as?
(a) A soliloquy.
(b) A monologue.
(c) An apology.
(d) A funeral sermon.
3. How many poems of Countee Cullen's follow "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual" in the section "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage"?
4. According to Hughes, what does he find to be a subconscious belief in most Negro homes?
(a) That they are inferior to whites.
(b) To be white is better.
(c) To be white means wealth.
(d) To be white means power.
5. Who is the author of "A Southern Road"?
(b) James Weldon Johnson.
(c) Helene Johnson.
6. Why do Negroes mimic according to Hurston?
(a) To be like others.
(b) To feel better.
(c) For money.
(d) For the fun; not to be like others.
7. What question does Brown end his poem "Remembering Nat Turner" with?
(a) If Turner is now at rest?
(b) If Turner is the murderer.
(c) If he'll remember Turner.
(d) If Turner is innocent.
8. What does the author of "The Negro Digs Up His Past" conclude with?
(a) With a challenge to the Negro race.
(b) He presents an idea that a new day has come for Negroes.
(c) With a poem.
(d) With a song.
9. What animal remains by Aunt Judy Bickerstaff in "Uncle Monday" until she begins to doubt herself?
(a) An alligator.
(b) A giraffe.
(c) A snake.
(d) A crocodile.
10. What is Hurston's story "Shouting" about?
(a) Shouting in torment.
(b) Shouting in religious ceremonies.
(c) Shouting in fear.
(d) Shouting in anger.
11. How does the section "Art and Propaganda" end?
(a) With 2 songs.
(b) With an essay.
(c) With 2 interviews.
(d) With 2 poems.
12. What do most of the poems in the section "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage" have in common?
(a) They have unclear meanings.
(b) They have clear meanings.
(c) They are full of symbolism.
(d) They are full or irony.
13. What is the title of the 3 line poem?
(a) "Dream Variations".
(b) "If We Must Die".
(c) "Old Black Men".
14. Whose growls are heard by the people at the end of "Uncle Monday"?
(a) The alligator's.
(b) The giraffe's.
(c) The crocodile's.
(d) The dogs.
15. Who arrived in America as a child and was purchased by a man in Boston?
(a) Phyllis Whitney.
(b) Eli Whitney.
(c) Phyllis Wheatley.
(d) Phil Wheatney.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term is coined to mean that African Americans do not produce art specific to their race due to the absorption of American ways?
2. Who is the author of "Song of the Son"?
3. What is the title of James Weldon Johnson's book that details events about Negro artists in general and poets in particular?
4. What does the poem "Old Black Men" describe?
5. What characteristics are given to Sweetie Mary Carr?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)