|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What technique does Hurston discuss in "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual"?
(a) The technique of sounds production.
(b) Breathing in songs and sermons.
(c) The technique to conjure spirits.
2. What is the title of the 3 line poem?
(a) "Old Black Men".
(b) "Dream Variations".
(c) "If We Must Die".
3. What question does Brown end his poem "Remembering Nat Turner" with?
(a) If he'll remember Turner.
(b) If Turner is now at rest?
(c) If Turner is the murderer.
(d) If Turner is innocent.
4. What does the author of "The Negro Digs Up His Past" conclude with?
(a) With a song.
(b) He presents an idea that a new day has come for Negroes.
(c) With a poem.
(d) With a challenge to the Negro race.
5. According to Hughes, what does he find to be a subconscious belief in most Negro homes?
(a) To be white means power.
(b) That they are inferior to whites.
(c) To be white means wealth.
(d) To be white is better.
6. How many facts does the author present in "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
7. What characteristics are given to Sweetie Mary Carr?
(a) Fat and ugly.
(b) Funny and vulgar.
(c) Crude and funny.
(d) Vulagr and old.
8. Who is the author of "Our Greatest Gift to America"?
(a) Helene Johnson.
9. In the poem "If We Must Die", what does McKay compare the killings of his race to?
10. How does the section "Art and Propaganda" end?
(a) With 2 interviews.
(b) With an essay.
(c) With 2 songs.
(d) With 2 poems.
11. What do most of the poems in the section "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage" have in common?
(a) They are full of symbolism.
(b) They are full or irony.
(c) They have clear meanings.
(d) They have unclear meanings.
12. What is the title of the essay by Langston Hughes that delves into the racial stumbling block Negro artists face?
(a) "The Race and the Artist".
(b) "The Artist and its Race".
(c) "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
(d) "The Race to be an Artist".
13. What is the influence of the Negro's heritage artwork compared to in "The Negro-Art Hokum"?
(b) European descent.
(c) Migration in China.
(d) Indian descent.
14. What does the author of "Art or Propaganda" believe about the sustainability of art?
(a) It needs to be durable to last.
(b) It needs a purpose.
(c) Someone has to feel connected to it.
(d) It must have propaganda.
15. What is the title of James Weldon Johnson's book that details events about Negro artists in general and poets in particular?
(a) "Study of Works by Negroes".
(b) "Study of Negro Artistry".
(c) "Negro Artist's and Poet's Revisited".
(d) "The Book of American Negro Poetry".
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "Sterling Brown: The New Negro Folk Poet"?
2. Who is the 3 line poem about?
3. Why do Negroes mimic according to Hurston?
4. What does Hurston think about the originality of Negro artwork?
5. When was "Fifty Years" written?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)