|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Thurman's story, who asks why he should focus only on his African roots when he has Indian and German roots as well?
(b) Dr. Parkes.
2. What is the biggest blockage for Negro artists, according to Hughes?
(b) Tendency to discredit their work.
(c) Tendency to mimic lifestyle of whites.
(d) Inequality of wealth.
3. Who is given credit to be the first Negro poet to be able to "rise to a height from which he could take a perspective view of his own race"?
(a) Lauren Dunbar.
(b) Paulene Laurence.
(c) Paul Laurence Dunbar.
(d) Paul Doohey.
4. Who is the author of "Sterling Brown: The New Negro Folk Poet"?
5. When was "Fifty Years" written?
(a) 50 years before slavery begins.
(b) The 50th anniversary of the start of the Civil War.
(c) The 50th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation.
(d) 50 years after slavery ends.
6. What does the mother mean when she tells her son to "not act like a nigger" in the essay by Hughes?
(a) To act rich.
(b) To act right.
(c) To not act poor.
(d) To misbehave.
7. Whose growls are heard by the people at the end of "Uncle Monday"?
(a) The alligator's.
(b) The dogs.
(c) The giraffe's.
(d) The crocodile's.
8. What is Hurston's story "Shouting" about?
(a) Shouting in torment.
(b) Shouting in fear.
(c) Shouting in anger.
(d) Shouting in religious ceremonies.
9. What is the title of Wallace Thurman's story?
(b) "Infants of Spring".
(c) "Youthful Summer".
10. Who is the author of "Go Down Death"?
(a) James Weldon Johnson.
11. Why do Negroes mimic according to Hurston?
(a) To be like others.
(b) To feel better.
(c) For money.
(d) For the fun; not to be like others.
12. What is the title of Jess Redmond's poem?
(a) "Dead Fires".
(b) "Night Flies".
(c) "Fire Flies".
(d) "Dead Flies".
13. What is the influence of the Negro's heritage artwork compared to in "The Negro-Art Hokum"?
(a) Migration in China.
(b) European descent.
(c) Indian descent.
14. Who is the 3 line poem about?
(b) The Union Soldiers.
(d) George Washington.
15. What is the title of the essay by Langston Hughes that delves into the racial stumbling block Negro artists face?
(a) "The Artist and its Race".
(b) "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
(c) "The Race to be an Artist".
(d) "The Race and the Artist".
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of music is in "The Banjo Player"?
2. Why do people in the village go to visit Uncle Monday in "Uncle Monday"?
3. What is the title of McKay's poem where people gather around a lynched man?
4. What is the title of the ending section of "Afro-American Past - History and Folk Tradition"?
5. What is the title of the 3 line poem?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)