|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is given credit to be the first Negro poet to be able to "rise to a height from which he could take a perspective view of his own race"?
(a) Paul Laurence Dunbar.
(b) Paulene Laurence.
(c) Lauren Dunbar.
(d) Paul Doohey.
2. What does Cullen seem to indicate about heaven in her poem "She of the Dancing Feet Sings"?
(a) That eveyone is pretty in heaven.
(b) That heaven is a very serious place.
(c) That heaven is really fun.
(d) That everyone in heaven is really talented.
3. What is the name of the host and novelist in Thurman's story?
4. What is the title of Hughes's poem that points out that artistic endeavors can release the "hurt in your heart"?
(b) "Hurt Heart".
5. What animal remains by Aunt Judy Bickerstaff in "Uncle Monday" until she begins to doubt herself?
(a) A crocodile.
(b) A giraffe.
(c) A snake.
(d) An alligator.
6. What does Hurston say about Negro art?
(a) It's symmetrical and angular.
(b) It's easy on the eye.
(c) It's fluid.
(d) It's harsh to the eye.
7. Who argues that Negroes did alter the English language?
(a) Some etymologists.
(d) No one.
8. What does the author of "Go Down Death" describe the poem as?
(a) A soliloquy.
(b) A monologue.
(c) An apology.
(d) A funeral sermon.
9. What is the title of the poem that expresses McKay's love and hatred for America?
(a) "The Duality of Life".
(c) "The Dual Relationship in America".
(d) "Mixed Emotions".
10. How many poems of Countee Cullen's follow "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual" in the section "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage"?
11. What is Hurston's story "Shouting" about?
(a) Shouting in religious ceremonies.
(b) Shouting in anger.
(c) Shouting in torment.
(d) Shouting in fear.
12. Who is always one step higher than the Negroes, according to Schuyler?
(a) The poorest of the poor.
(d) The next poorest.
13. What is the title of Jess Redmond's poem?
(a) "Fire Flies".
(b) "Dead Fires".
(c) "Night Flies".
(d) "Dead Flies".
14. Why do Negroes mimic according to Hurston?
(a) To feel better.
(b) For the fun; not to be like others.
(c) For money.
(d) To be like others.
15. Why do people in the village go to visit Uncle Monday in "Uncle Monday"?
(a) To take pictures.
(b) To hear his stories.
(c) To be cured.
(d) For his craft.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author of "The Negro Digs up His Past" attribute his ideology to?
2. Who is the author of "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
3. What is the title of Wallace Thurman's story?
4. What does Hurston later give credit to a "jook" being?
5. What is the title of the ending section of "Afro-American Past - History and Folk Tradition"?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)