|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the 3 line poem about?
(a) George Washington.
(b) The Union Soldiers.
2. What is the title of James Weldon Johnson's book that details events about Negro artists in general and poets in particular?
(a) "Negro Artist's and Poet's Revisited".
(b) "Study of Works by Negroes".
(c) "The Book of American Negro Poetry".
(d) "Study of Negro Artistry".
3. Whose growls are heard by the people at the end of "Uncle Monday"?
(a) The crocodile's.
(b) The giraffe's.
(c) The alligator's.
(d) The dogs.
4. How many poems of Countee Cullen's follow "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual" in the section "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage"?
5. Why do people in the village go to visit Uncle Monday in "Uncle Monday"?
(a) For his craft.
(b) To hear his stories.
(c) To take pictures.
(d) To be cured.
6. What does the author of "The Negro Digs up His Past" attribute his ideology to?
(a) His desire to be famous.
(b) Reclaimed background of the race as a whole.
(c) Self motivation.
(d) Self knowledge.
7. What is the title of McKay's poem where people gather around a lynched man?
(a) "The Lynching".
(b) "Lynched: Past and Present".
(c) "To Witness Lynching".
(d) "The Lynched".
8. What technique does Hurston discuss in "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual"?
(a) The technique to conjure spirits.
(c) The technique of sounds production.
(d) Breathing in songs and sermons.
9. What characteristics are given to Sweetie Mary Carr?
(a) Crude and funny.
(b) Funny and vulgar.
(c) Fat and ugly.
(d) Vulagr and old.
10. Which poet uses the word "if" as a basis for a sonnet to his mother?
11. Who is the author of "The Negro-Art Hokum"?
(a) Geroge Smith.
(b) George S. Schuyler.
(c) George Shultz.
12. What animal remains by Aunt Judy Bickerstaff in "Uncle Monday" until she begins to doubt herself?
(a) A snake.
(b) An alligator.
(c) A giraffe.
(d) A crocodile.
13. What type of literary writing style is effective in the 3 line poem?
(a) The words are written in perfect speech.
(b) It uses symbolism.
(c) The words are rounded off at the end to mimic the Negro speech.
(d) It uses dramatic irony.
14. Who is the author of the poem "Conception"?
15. Why has democracy worked so well in America, according to "Our Greatest Gift to America"?
(a) It divides the power evenly.
(b) Negroes are inferior to the government.
(c) Skin color measures a man's worth.
(d) White's are supreme in this way of living.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a poem written by Countee Cullen?
2. What is the title of Hughes's poem that points out that artistic endeavors can release the "hurt in your heart"?
3. What does the author of "Art or Propaganda" believe about the sustainability of art?
4. What is the influence of the Negro's heritage artwork compared to in "The Negro-Art Hokum"?
5. What does the author of "The Negro Digs Up His Past" conclude with?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)