|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author of "Art or Propaganda" believe about the sustainability of art?
(a) Someone has to feel connected to it.
(b) It needs to be durable to last.
(c) It needs a purpose.
(d) It must have propaganda.
2. According to "Our Greatest Gift to America", where do Negroes frequently spend their time?
3. How does the section "Art and Propaganda" end?
(a) With an essay.
(b) With 2 poems.
(c) With 2 songs.
(d) With 2 interviews.
4. How many facts does the author present in "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
5. When was "Fifty Years" written?
(a) The 50th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation.
(b) The 50th anniversary of the start of the Civil War.
(c) 50 years after slavery ends.
(d) 50 years before slavery begins.
6. Who is the author of "Our Greatest Gift to America"?
(b) Helene Johnson.
7. What is the title of James Weldon Johnson's book that details events about Negro artists in general and poets in particular?
(a) "Study of Negro Artistry".
(b) "The Book of American Negro Poetry".
(c) "Negro Artist's and Poet's Revisited".
(d) "Study of Works by Negroes".
8. Which poet uses the word "if" as a basis for a sonnet to his mother?
9. What does the poem "Old Black Men" describe?
(a) They're color.
(b) They're relationships.
(c) The old men realize life hasn't turned out as they planned.
(d) They're age.
10. According to Hughes, what does he find to be a subconscious belief in most Negro homes?
(a) To be white means power.
(b) To be white means wealth.
(c) That they are inferior to whites.
(d) To be white is better.
11. Why do people in the village go to visit Uncle Monday in "Uncle Monday"?
(a) To be cured.
(b) To take pictures.
(c) For his craft.
(d) To hear his stories.
12. Whose growls are heard by the people at the end of "Uncle Monday"?
(a) The dogs.
(b) The giraffe's.
(c) The crocodile's.
(d) The alligator's.
13. What does the author say about Negro men and slave trade in "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
(a) Some Negro men were active in running the slave trade.
(b) Some Negro men were active in halting the slave trade.
(c) White men forced Negro men to work.
(d) No Negro men were allowed to work the slave trade.
14. Who is given credit to be the first Negro poet to be able to "rise to a height from which he could take a perspective view of his own race"?
(a) Paul Laurence Dunbar.
(b) Lauren Dunbar.
(c) Paul Doohey.
(d) Paulene Laurence.
15. Who is the author of the poem "Conception"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Jess Redmond's poem?
2. What type of literary writing style is effective in the 3 line poem?
3. What is the name of the host and novelist in Thurman's story?
4. Why do Negroes mimic according to Hurston?
5. What does Hurston say about Negro art?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)