|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hurston think about the originality of Negro artwork?
(a) It's abstract.
(b) She thinks it is unoriginal.
(c) It's appealing.
(d) It is original, although often discredited.
2. What does the poem "Old Black Men" describe?
(a) They're age.
(b) They're relationships.
(c) The old men realize life hasn't turned out as they planned.
(d) They're color.
3. What is the influence of the Negro's heritage artwork compared to in "The Negro-Art Hokum"?
(a) Indian descent.
(c) European descent.
(d) Migration in China.
4. Whose idea was that the Negro race is part of a greater destiny?
(b) James Weldon Johnson.
5. Why has democracy worked so well in America, according to "Our Greatest Gift to America"?
(a) Negroes are inferior to the government.
(b) It divides the power evenly.
(c) White's are supreme in this way of living.
(d) Skin color measures a man's worth.
6. What term is coined to mean that African Americans do not produce art specific to their race due to the absorption of American ways?
7. According to "Our Greatest Gift to America", where do Negroes frequently spend their time?
8. What technique does Hurston discuss in "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual"?
(a) Breathing in songs and sermons.
(c) The technique of sounds production.
(d) The technique to conjure spirits.
9. Who is the author of "The Negro-Art Hokum"?
(a) Geroge Smith.
(c) George S. Schuyler.
(d) George Shultz.
10. What does the author of "Art or Propaganda" believe about the sustainability of art?
(a) Someone has to feel connected to it.
(b) It needs to be durable to last.
(c) It needs a purpose.
(d) It must have propaganda.
11. Why do Negroes mimic according to Hurston?
(a) For money.
(b) To feel better.
(c) For the fun; not to be like others.
(d) To be like others.
12. What is the name of the woman in "Go Down Death"?
13. What question does Brown end his poem "Remembering Nat Turner" with?
(a) If he'll remember Turner.
(b) If Turner is now at rest?
(c) If Turner is the murderer.
(d) If Turner is innocent.
14. Which of the following is NOT a poem written by Countee Cullen?
(a) "Yet Do I Marvel".
(b) "Annabelle Lee".
(c) "For a Poet".
(d) "To John Keets, Poet, At Springtime".
15. What is Hurston's story "Shouting" about?
(a) Shouting in anger.
(b) Shouting in religious ceremonies.
(c) Shouting in fear.
(d) Shouting in torment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the biggest blockage for Negro artists, according to Hughes?
2. What is the title of the poem by Hughes that explains how life is not always a straight path, but a journey to rise?
3. How does Hurston originally define the word "jook"?
4. What does Cullen seem to indicate about heaven in her poem "She of the Dancing Feet Sings"?
5. What is the title of the poem that expresses McKay's love and hatred for America?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)