Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of the ending section of "Afro-American Past - History and Folk Tradition"?
(a) "To Celebrate Blackness".
(b) "Visual Arts: To Celebrate Blackness".
(c) "Visual Arts".
(d) "Seeing Blackness".
2. What type of literary writing style is effective in the 3 line poem?
(a) It uses dramatic irony.
(b) It uses symbolism.
(c) The words are rounded off at the end to mimic the Negro speech.
(d) The words are written in perfect speech.
3. Who first sees Uncle Monday in Hurston's story "Uncle Monday"?
(a) Joey Lawrence.
(b) Joe Lindsay.
(c) Joeseph Lies.
(d) Lindsey Joeseph.
4. What does Cullen seem to wonder in her poem "She of the Dancing Feet Sings"?
(a) If she can sing and dance simultaneously.
(b) If she can sing.
(c) If she can dance.
(d) What her role will be in Heaven.
5. Who says there is a "decadent strain" in the works of the Negro artists due to their lack of connection to its roots, in Thurman's story?
(a) Dr. Park.
(b) Dr. Parkes.
(c) Dr. Perkins.
(d) Dr. P.
6. What technique does Hurston discuss in "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual"?
(a) The technique to conjure spirits.
(b) The technique of sounds production.
(c) Breathing in songs and sermons.
7. What does the author of "The Negro Digs up His Past" attribute his ideology to?
(a) Self motivation.
(b) Reclaimed background of the race as a whole.
(c) His desire to be famous.
(d) Self knowledge.
8. Why do Negroes mimic according to Hurston?
(a) To be like others.
(b) For money.
(c) For the fun; not to be like others.
(d) To feel better.
9. According to Hughes, what does he find to be a subconscious belief in most Negro homes?
(a) To be white means power.
(b) To be white means wealth.
(c) To be white is better.
(d) That they are inferior to whites.
10. What is the influence of the Negro's heritage artwork compared to in "The Negro-Art Hokum"?
(a) Migration in China.
(b) Indian descent.
(c) European descent.
11. How many pieces of art does the last section in "Afro-American Past - History and Folk Tradition" have?
12. Who arrived in America as a child and was purchased by a man in Boston?
(a) Phyllis Whitney.
(b) Phil Wheatney.
(c) Phyllis Wheatley.
(d) Eli Whitney.
13. How does Hurston originally define the word "jook"?
(a) A song.
(b) A type of person.
(c) A food.
(d) A bawdy house.
14. Which of the following is NOT a poem written by Countee Cullen?
(a) "Annabelle Lee".
(b) "For a Poet".
(c) "To John Keets, Poet, At Springtime".
(d) "Yet Do I Marvel".
15. Who is the author of "Fifty Years"?
(a) James Weldon Johnson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the poem that expresses McKay's love and hatred for America?
2. What is the title of Jess Redmond's poem?
3. What question does Brown end his poem "Remembering Nat Turner" with?
4. What is Hurston's story "Shouting" about?
5. How many facts does the author present in "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)