|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has democracy worked so well in America, according to "Our Greatest Gift to America"?
(a) Skin color measures a man's worth.
(b) White's are supreme in this way of living.
(c) It divides the power evenly.
(d) Negroes are inferior to the government.
2. Who is the 3 line poem about?
(a) George Washington.
(b) The Union Soldiers.
3. Who argues that Negroes did alter the English language?
(a) Some etymologists.
(b) No one.
4. Whose idea was that the Negro race is part of a greater destiny?
(a) James Weldon Johnson.
5. What does the mother mean when she tells her son to "not act like a nigger" in the essay by Hughes?
(a) To not act poor.
(b) To act right.
(c) To act rich.
(d) To misbehave.
6. What does the author of "Art or Propaganda" believe about the sustainability of art?
(a) It must have propaganda.
(b) It needs a purpose.
(c) It needs to be durable to last.
(d) Someone has to feel connected to it.
7. What does Hurston think about the originality of Negro artwork?
(a) It's abstract.
(b) It's appealing.
(c) It is original, although often discredited.
(d) She thinks it is unoriginal.
8. Who is the author of "Go Down Death"?
(d) James Weldon Johnson.
9. Who is the author of "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
(d) Arthur A. Schomberg.
10. Who is the author of the poem "Conception"?
11. What type of literary writing style is effective in the 3 line poem?
(a) It uses symbolism.
(b) The words are rounded off at the end to mimic the Negro speech.
(c) The words are written in perfect speech.
(d) It uses dramatic irony.
12. Which poet uses the word "if" as a basis for a sonnet to his mother?
13. What question does Brown end his poem "Remembering Nat Turner" with?
(a) If Turner is now at rest?
(b) If he'll remember Turner.
(c) If Turner is the murderer.
(d) If Turner is innocent.
14. What do most of the poems in the section "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage" have in common?
(a) They have unclear meanings.
(b) They are full of symbolism.
(c) They have clear meanings.
(d) They are full or irony.
15. What does the author say about Negro men and slave trade in "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
(a) Some Negro men were active in running the slave trade.
(b) White men forced Negro men to work.
(c) No Negro men were allowed to work the slave trade.
(d) Some Negro men were active in halting the slave trade.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cullen seem to indicate about heaven in her poem "She of the Dancing Feet Sings"?
2. What is Hurston's story "Shouting" about?
3. Who is the author of "The Negro-Art Hokum"?
4. What animal remains by Aunt Judy Bickerstaff in "Uncle Monday" until she begins to doubt herself?
5. What does the author of "The Negro Digs Up His Past" conclude with?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)