|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "Fifty Years"?
(b) James Weldon Johnson.
2. Who is given credit to be the first Negro poet to be able to "rise to a height from which he could take a perspective view of his own race"?
(a) Paul Doohey.
(b) Paul Laurence Dunbar.
(c) Paulene Laurence.
(d) Lauren Dunbar.
3. What does the author of "Art or Propaganda" believe about the sustainability of art?
(a) It must have propaganda.
(b) It needs to be durable to last.
(c) It needs a purpose.
(d) Someone has to feel connected to it.
4. Whose growls are heard by the people at the end of "Uncle Monday"?
(a) The alligator's.
(b) The dogs.
(c) The giraffe's.
(d) The crocodile's.
5. What is the title of the poem by Hughes that explains how life is not always a straight path, but a journey to rise?
(a) "Song for a Dark Girl".
(b) "Dream Variations".
(c) "Mother to Son".
(d) "Run to Rise".
6. Who is the author of "The Negro-Art Hokum"?
(b) Geroge Smith.
(c) George S. Schuyler.
(d) George Shultz.
7. Who says there is a "decadent strain" in the works of the Negro artists due to their lack of connection to its roots, in Thurman's story?
(a) Dr. P.
(b) Dr. Park.
(c) Dr. Parkes.
(d) Dr. Perkins.
8. According to "Our Greatest Gift to America", where do Negroes frequently spend their time?
9. What type of music is in "The Banjo Player"?
(c) Music of peasant people.
10. Which of the following is NOT a poem written by Countee Cullen?
(a) "Annabelle Lee".
(b) "To John Keets, Poet, At Springtime".
(c) "Yet Do I Marvel".
(d) "For a Poet".
11. Who is the author of "Art or Propaganda"?
12. What does Cullen seem to indicate about heaven in her poem "She of the Dancing Feet Sings"?
(a) That eveyone is pretty in heaven.
(b) That heaven is a very serious place.
(c) That heaven is really fun.
(d) That everyone in heaven is really talented.
13. What is the name of the woman in "Go Down Death"?
14. Who is the author of "A Southern Road"?
(b) James Weldon Johnson.
(d) Helene Johnson.
15. What does Cullen seem to wonder in her poem "She of the Dancing Feet Sings"?
(a) If she can dance.
(b) If she can sing.
(c) What her role will be in Heaven.
(d) If she can sing and dance simultaneously.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many poems of Countee Cullen's follow "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual" in the section "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage"?
2. What does the poem "Old Black Men" describe?
3. Whose idea was that the Negro race is part of a greater destiny?
4. What technique does Hurston discuss in "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual"?
5. What term is coined to mean that African Americans do not produce art specific to their race due to the absorption of American ways?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)