|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Hughes, what does he find to be a subconscious belief in most Negro homes?
(a) To be white means wealth.
(b) To be white is better.
(c) That they are inferior to whites.
(d) To be white means power.
2. Why do Negroes mimic according to Hurston?
(a) To feel better.
(b) For the fun; not to be like others.
(c) For money.
(d) To be like others.
3. Who is always one step higher than the Negroes, according to Schuyler?
(c) The next poorest.
(d) The poorest of the poor.
4. Who says there is a "decadent strain" in the works of the Negro artists due to their lack of connection to its roots, in Thurman's story?
(a) Dr. Perkins.
(b) Dr. Park.
(c) Dr. P.
(d) Dr. Parkes.
5. What does the author of "The Negro Digs Up His Past" conclude with?
(a) With a song.
(b) With a challenge to the Negro race.
(c) With a poem.
(d) He presents an idea that a new day has come for Negroes.
6. Who first sees Uncle Monday in Hurston's story "Uncle Monday"?
(a) Joeseph Lies.
(b) Joe Lindsay.
(c) Joey Lawrence.
(d) Lindsey Joeseph.
7. What does the poem "Old Black Men" describe?
(a) They're age.
(b) They're relationships.
(c) They're color.
(d) The old men realize life hasn't turned out as they planned.
8. What does Hurston think about the originality of Negro artwork?
(a) It is original, although often discredited.
(b) She thinks it is unoriginal.
(c) It's appealing.
(d) It's abstract.
9. At the end of the section "Art and Propaganda", who wanted to be a pianist because of his brother's friends?
(a) James Patterson.
(b) Johnson Jameison.
(c) James Johns.
(d) James P. Johnson.
10. What does the author of "Go Down Death" describe the poem as?
(a) A monologue.
(b) A funeral sermon.
(c) A soliloquy.
(d) An apology.
11. What is the title of the poem by Hughes that explains how life is not always a straight path, but a journey to rise?
(a) "Mother to Son".
(b) "Song for a Dark Girl".
(c) "Dream Variations".
(d) "Run to Rise".
12. Who arrived in America as a child and was purchased by a man in Boston?
(a) Eli Whitney.
(b) Phyllis Wheatley.
(c) Phyllis Whitney.
(d) Phil Wheatney.
13. How many poems of Countee Cullen's follow "Spiritual and Neo-Spiritual" in the section "Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage"?
14. What does Cullen seem to wonder in her poem "She of the Dancing Feet Sings"?
(a) If she can sing.
(b) If she can dance.
(c) What her role will be in Heaven.
(d) If she can sing and dance simultaneously.
15. What is the name of the woman in "Go Down Death"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "Our Greatest Gift to America"?
2. What does the author of "The Negro Digs up His Past" attribute his ideology to?
3. Who is the author of "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
4. What animal remains by Aunt Judy Bickerstaff in "Uncle Monday" until she begins to doubt herself?
5. How many pieces of art does the last section in "Afro-American Past - History and Folk Tradition" have?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)