|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the conflict in "Sweat"?
(b) Sykes's beatings.
(d) Delia's husband is sleeping with another woman.
2. Where does the boxer from the essay "Wedding Day" leave America to go to?
3. How many outcomes does Randolph attribute to Mr. Garvey's ideals in "Garveyism"?
4. What does the poem, "Poem", say the author has in common with the "little brown boy"?
(a) She too feels repressed.
(b) She is also brown.
(c) She is also happy.
(d) She is also a jig.
5. Who is the author of "Harlem Reviewed"?
(a) Nicholas Cunard.
(b) Nancy Cunard.
(c) Nikki Court.
(d) Nicole Cunny.
6. What are the names of McKay's two poems?
(a) "Africa" and "Mulatto".
(b) "America" and "Africa".
(c) "Mulatto" and "America".
(d) "Asia" and "Africa".
7. What follows the essay "A Long Way from Home"?
(a) A map.
(b) A diary entry.
(c) A catalogue of events.
(d) 2 descriptive poems.
8. What is the name of the girl who diffuses the altercation in the barber shop in "Blades of Steel"?
9. Who is the author of "A New Crowd - A New Negro"?
(d) James Weldon Johnson.
10. In "Africa for the Africans", what does Domingo say about the enslavement of Negroes?
(a) Negroes haves been manipulated into killing and enslaving Negroes.
(b) Enslavement still exists today.
(c) Africa enslaved the most slaves before the US Civil War.
(d) They were all enslaved once.
11. Who cuts Cozzens with a razor from Pop Overton's shop in "Blades of Steel"?
(d) Pop Overton.
12. According to Garvey, what does he feel is the opposite result of the construction of a great African nation?
(a) They are being enslaved by this ideology.
(b) They will never reach that great nation.
(c) Negroes will always work in a country founded by whites.
(d) They are constructing a massive fall of the great nation of Africa.
13. What does Locke question in "The Legacy of Ancestral Arts"?
(a) The popularity of Negro arts.
(b) How Negro art forms were formed.
(c) What makes something art.
(d) The ancestry of art.
14. Who wrote "Sonnet to a Negro in Harlem"?
(d) Helene Johnson.
15. What is the name of the police officer who is stabbed and killed in Johnson's essay?
(a) Rob Thorne.
(b) Bobby Therron.
(c) Robert Thatcher.
(d) Robert Thorpe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "City Love" about?
2. Who says that those participating in the riots were acting out of self-defense?
3. Who hates the main character of "Sweat"?
4. What kind of changes does Locke see in the overall perception of Negroes?
5. Which of the following is NOT a poem included by Hughes in the section "Afro American Identity - Who am I"?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)