|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the essay "To a Dark Girl" about?
(a) Growing up.
(b) Leaving home.
(c) A pen pal.
(d) Growing past slavery.
2. What does Locke say unites the "American Negro"?
(a) A common ideology.
(b) A common race.
(c) A common experience.
(d) A common heritage.
3. According to Locke, why have Negroes been treated a certain way?
(a) Lack of money.
(b) Lack of education.
(d) Lack of love.
4. What does the "New Negro" believe in?
(a) The rights to be wealthy.
(b) The rights of equality.
(c) The rights of others and free press and assembly.
(d) The rights to work with whites.
5. Who supposedly bewitches the main character of "Luani of the Jungles"?
(a) A gypsy.
(b) A Negro sailor.
(c) A fortune teller.
(d) A young Negro woman.
6. What fact does Locke cite at the end of "American Negro" in relation to outsider's perceptions?
(a) They do not understand the Negro race.
(b) They are slowly seeing humans in the Negro race.
(c) They see only what they want to see.
(d) They are being studied and not debated about.
7. What sentiment is suggested about American Negroes in relation to Negroes in other parts of the world?
(a) They are worse off in America.
(b) They hate other parts of the world.
(c) They are better off in America.
(d) They desire to go to other parts of the world.
8. What kind of changes does Locke see in the overall perception of Negroes?
(a) Postive changes.
(b) Big, radical changes.
(c) Small changes.
(d) Negative changes.
9. What are the names of McKay's two poems?
(a) "Asia" and "Africa".
(b) "Mulatto" and "America".
(c) "America" and "Africa".
(d) "Africa" and "Mulatto".
10. What happens to Sykes?
(a) Delia leaves him.
(b) A snake bites and kills him.
(c) He is shot.
(d) His mistress leaves him.
11. What does Fisher note about the Cabaret dancers in his essay, "The Caucasian Storms Harlem"?
(a) Many are inexperienced.
(b) Many are old.
(c) He hates them.
(d) Many are white.
12. According to Garvey, what does he feel is the opposite result of the construction of a great African nation?
(a) They are being enslaved by this ideology.
(b) They will never reach that great nation.
(c) They are constructing a massive fall of the great nation of Africa.
(d) Negroes will always work in a country founded by whites.
13. What does the essay "Afro-American Fragment" address?
(a) The lack of personal information most have about their homeland, Africa.
(b) Their fragmented lifestyles.
(c) Their fragments of art work.
(d) Their fragments of love.
14. Who sings "Shake that Thing" at local bars in the essay by Claude McKay?
15. What ethnicity is Paul in the essay "Cane"?
(b) It never says directly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Locke question in "The Legacy of Ancestral Arts"?
2. What does Locke notice about the bars and clubs in "The Legacy of Ancestral Arts"?
3. What will the new leader not rest until he achieves in "A New Crowd - A New Negro"?
4. Who is the essay "Sweat" about?
5. What does Locke analyze in relation to the conditions and movement of the "new Negro"?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)