|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of changes does Locke see in the overall perception of Negroes?
(a) Negative changes.
(b) Big, radical changes.
(c) Postive changes.
(d) Small changes.
2. What age does Cullen specifically focus on in her writings?
3. What question is posed in regards to leadership roles of "A New Crowd - A New Negro"?
(a) Who will end the old crowd.
(b) Who will fight for their new ideaology.
(c) Who will become the president.
(d) Who will take over leadership roles when the old crowd no longer exists.
4. Who is the essay "Luani of the Jungles" about?
(a) A monkey.
(b) A rabi.
(c) A sailor.
(d) A doctor.
5. What is the name of the police officer who is stabbed and killed in Johnson's essay?
(a) Robert Thorpe.
(b) Bobby Therron.
(c) Robert Thatcher.
(d) Rob Thorne.
6. What characteristic does the attitude of the "New Crowd" take?
7. What does the poem immediately following "The Legacy of Ancestral Arts" by Countee Cullen address?
(a) The history of her artwork.
(b) How to become a successful Negroe.
(c) Her thoughts on Africa.
(d) Her thoughts on Harlem.
8. What does Locke question in "The Legacy of Ancestral Arts"?
(a) How Negro art forms were formed.
(b) The ancestry of art.
(c) The popularity of Negro arts.
(d) What makes something art.
9. What will the new leader not rest until he achieves in "A New Crowd - A New Negro"?
(a) Until women are seen as equal.
(b) Until the new negro has an equal footing.
(c) Until he receives national recognition.
(d) Until the old crowd dies.
10. Which story calls for donations to a defense fund for those accused of participation in recent riots?
(a) "The New Negro".
(b) "Defense of the Negro Rioters".
(c) "If We Must Die".
11. What was formed as a response to the police's refusals in Johnson's essay?
(a) Citizens Protective League.
(b) Citizen Protection.
(c) Protection Gangs.
(d) Leagues of Prtection.
12. What are the names of McKay's two poems?
(a) "Mulatto" and "America".
(b) "America" and "Africa".
(c) "Africa" and "Mulatto".
(d) "Asia" and "Africa".
13. What does Fisher miss when he is away at medical school in "The Caucasian Storms Harlem"?
(a) His friends.
(b) The city.
(d) His mom.
14. What does the main character of "Sweat" do for a living?
(a) Laundry for "white folks".
(b) Cleans for "white folks".
(c) Keeps house.
(d) Cooks for "white folks".
15. What do the police refuse in response to the murdered police officer in Johnson's essay?
(a) Any calls regarding the murder.
(b) Peace among the Negroes.
(c) Protective custody for Negroes seeking help.
(d) A trial for the officer's murderer.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Garvey, what does he feel is the opposite result of the construction of a great African nation?
2. What is being seen among the heritage of the minorities in "Race Pride"?
3. In what essay does the author state that "a Negro will turn on another Negro if ordered"?
4. What fact does Locke cite at the end of "American Negro" in relation to outsider's perceptions?
5. Who wrote "Sonnet to a Negro in Harlem"?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)