|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "Blades of Steel"?
2. What does Domingo hint to about the government's current state of being?
(a) They are out of control.
(b) No one cares about the African American race.
(c) They have deviated from their constitution's laws.
(d) The situation's intolerancy and that free press and assembly are not possible.
3. Which essay addresses the August 1900 incident?
(b) "American Negro".
(c) "The New Negro".
(d) "Black Manhattan".
4. What does the "New Negro" believe in?
(a) The rights to work with whites.
(b) The rights of others and free press and assembly.
(c) The rights of equality.
(d) The rights to be wealthy.
5. What kind of changes does Locke see in the overall perception of Negroes?
(a) Negative changes.
(b) Big, radical changes.
(c) Small changes.
(d) Postive changes.
6. According to Domingo, what are the men of the "New Crowd" filled with?
(a) A burning passion for equality.
(b) Desrie to become equal.
(d) A will to fight fire with fire.
7. What seems to be the consensus of the essays in "New Negro Radicalism"?
(a) To become prideful of one's heritage.
(b) To resist enslavement of the same race.
(c) To accept all men as eqaul.
(d) First steps forward are to eliminate current leaders.
8. What happens to Sykes?
(a) Delia leaves him.
(b) His mistress leaves him.
(c) A snake bites and kills him.
(d) He is shot.
9. What is said that the "New Negro" will not allow from politicians in "The New Negro - What Is He"?
(a) To make empty promises.
(b) To diminsih their goals.
(c) To campaign in their area.
(d) To take their tax money.
10. What does the boy buy Nicey at the end of "City Love"?
(a) A purse.
(c) A hat.
11. Who supposedly bewitches the main character of "Luani of the Jungles"?
(a) A gypsy.
(b) A young Negro woman.
(c) A Negro sailor.
(d) A fortune teller.
12. Who wrote "Sonnet to a Negro in Harlem"?
(a) Helene Johnson.
13. According to Locke, why have Negroes been treated a certain way?
(a) Lack of money.
(b) Lack of education.
(c) Lack of love.
14. What must the "New Negro" be willing to do in "A New Crowd - What Is He"?
(a) Work long, hard hours.
(b) Demand equal pay.
(c) Heed the law of self-preservation.
(d) Become wealthy.
15. What do the police refuse in response to the murdered police officer in Johnson's essay?
(a) Any calls regarding the murder.
(b) A trial for the officer's murderer.
(c) Protective custody for Negroes seeking help.
(d) Peace among the Negroes.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Garvey, what should the "New Negro" be handed while building an empire in Africa?
2. What is "City Love" about?
3. What does Locke analyze in relation to the conditions and movement of the "new Negro"?
4. What does the essay "Afro-American Fragment" address?
5. Who is the essay "Sweat" about?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)