|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Garvey hope to achieve from his plan to build an empire in Africa?
(a) Fellowship among tribes.
(b) A reward to the most loyal to the Negro race.
(c) A community.
(d) A new ideology.
2. Who supposedly bewitches the main character of "Luani of the Jungles"?
(a) A gypsy.
(b) A young Negro woman.
(c) A fortune teller.
(d) A Negro sailor.
3. What does the poem, "Poem", say the author has in common with the "little brown boy"?
(a) She is also a jig.
(b) She is also happy.
(c) She too feels repressed.
(d) She is also brown.
4. What will the new leader not rest until he achieves in "A New Crowd - A New Negro"?
(a) Until women are seen as equal.
(b) Until he receives national recognition.
(c) Until the old crowd dies.
(d) Until the new negro has an equal footing.
5. According to Garvey, what should the "New Negro" be handed while building an empire in Africa?
(d) Aristocracy and privilege.
6. What characteristic does the attitude of the "New Crowd" take?
7. Who wrote "If We Must Die"?
(d) James Weldon Johnson.
8. According to Garvey, what does he feel is the opposite result of the construction of a great African nation?
(a) They are being enslaved by this ideology.
(b) Negroes will always work in a country founded by whites.
(c) They will never reach that great nation.
(d) They are constructing a massive fall of the great nation of Africa.
9. In what essay does the author state that "a Negro will turn on another Negro if ordered"?
(b) "From the Messenger - A Menace to Radicalism".
(c) "If We Must Die".
(d) "Black Manhattan".
10. What is the name of the girl who diffuses the altercation in the barber shop in "Blades of Steel"?
11. Who sings "Shake that Thing" at local bars in the essay by Claude McKay?
12. Who advocates the construction of a "great nation in Africa" in "Africa for the Africans"?
(b) Marcus Garvey.
(c) Universal Negro Improvement Association.
13. Which essay addresses the August 1900 incident?
(b) "American Negro".
(c) "The New Negro".
(d) "Black Manhattan".
14. In which essay does Garvey outline the specifics of his plan to establish an empire in Africa?
(a) "Race Pride".
(b) "The Future As I See It".
(c) "Defense of the Negro Rioters".
15. What does Fisher miss when he is away at medical school in "The Caucasian Storms Harlem"?
(a) The city.
(c) His friends.
(d) His mom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What follows the essay "A Long Way from Home"?
2. Who says "white folks is white" in one of Cullen's poems?
3. What is being seen among the heritage of the minorities in "Race Pride"?
4. What does the "New Negro" believe in?
5. What do the police refuse in response to the murdered police officer in Johnson's essay?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)