|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must the "New Negro" be willing to do in "A New Crowd - What Is He"?
(a) Demand equal pay.
(b) Heed the law of self-preservation.
(c) Work long, hard hours.
(d) Become wealthy.
2. What is Locke describing when he says "its a place inhabited and controlled by Negroes of many different walks of life"?
3. What does Locke attribute to the migration of the "new Negro"?
(a) "A desire to reach "home".
(b) "A new vision of opportunity".
(c) "A new born optimism".
(d) "A desire for the old way of life".
4. Which of the following does the author of "A New Crowd - A New Negro" NOT describe as a necessary characteristic of a new leader?
5. What kind of changes does Locke see in the overall perception of Negroes?
(a) Negative changes.
(b) Postive changes.
(c) Small changes.
(d) Big, radical changes.
6. Where does the boxer from the essay "Wedding Day" leave America to go to?
7. What characteristic does the attitude of the "New Crowd" take?
8. What does Locke say the Negro is willing to work for in "The New Negro"?
(a) More space to live.
(b) Better lifestyle.
(c) Better conditions.
(d) More food.
9. What does Locke notice about the bars and clubs in "The Legacy of Ancestral Arts"?
(a) Whites are serving Negroes.
(b) Whites are just now being allowed to enter.
(c) Whites are prohibited.
(d) They are now attracting a white clientele.
10. What is suggested that the whites must do in "Race Pride"?
(a) Leave Asia and African countries or accept all men as equal.
(b) Accept men as equal.
(c) Leave Asian and African countries.
(d) Stand a fight the fight.
11. What does Alain Locke suggest in "The New Negro" about the "old Negro"?
(a) The "old Negro"has completely died out.
(b) The "old Negro" desires what the "new Negro" wants.
(c) The "old Negro" is very much active.
(d) The "old Negro" is nothing more than a myth or ideal.
12. What are the names of McKay's two poems?
(a) "Mulatto" and "America".
(b) "America" and "Africa".
(c) "Africa" and "Mulatto".
(d) "Asia" and "Africa".
13. Who hates the main character of "Sweat"?
(a) Her mom.
(b) Her son.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her daughter.
14. What is the title of Marcus A. Garvey's essay that follows "Garveyism"?
(a) "Africa for the Africans".
(b) "The New Negro- What Is He".
(c) "The New Negro".
(d) If We Must Die".
15. Which essay addresses the August 1900 incident?
(a) "American Negro".
(b) "The New Negro".
(c) "Black Manhattan".
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "Harlem Reviewed"?
2. What is the name of the girl who diffuses the altercation in the barber shop in "Blades of Steel"?
3. What does Fisher note about the Cabaret dancers in his essay, "The Caucasian Storms Harlem"?
4. What is the main character of "Sweat" afraid of?
5. According to Locke, why have Negroes been treated a certain way?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)