|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Johnson's essay, what is the name of the person who leaves his wife on a street corner, only to find her being harassed?
(a) Art Harlem.
(b) Arther Mayer.
(c) Arthur Harris.
(d) Andy Haney.
2. What does Domingo hint to about the government's current state of being?
(a) They have deviated from their constitution's laws.
(b) No one cares about the African American race.
(c) The situation's intolerancy and that free press and assembly are not possible.
(d) They are out of control.
3. According to Domingo, what are the men of the "Old Crowd" filled with?
(a) Men who turn the other cheek.
(b) Men who fight.
(c) Men who are weak and old.
(d) Men who care for only themselves.
4. What does the essay "Afro-American Fragment" address?
(a) Their fragments of love.
(b) The lack of personal information most have about their homeland, Africa.
(c) Their fragmented lifestyles.
(d) Their fragments of art work.
5. What does the boy buy Nicey at the end of "City Love"?
(a) A purse.
(d) A hat.
6. What does the poem, "Poem", say the author has in common with the "little brown boy"?
(a) She too feels repressed.
(b) She is also a jig.
(c) She is also happy.
(d) She is also brown.
7. According to Locke, why have Negroes been treated a certain way?
(a) Lack of love.
(b) Lack of education.
(d) Lack of money.
8. According to Domingo, what are the men of the "New Crowd" filled with?
(a) A will to fight fire with fire.
(c) A burning passion for equality.
(d) Desrie to become equal.
9. Who is the author of "Harlem Reviewed"?
(a) Nicole Cunny.
(b) Nancy Cunard.
(c) Nicholas Cunard.
(d) Nikki Court.
10. Who gives a list of leaders who fall under the category of the "Old Crowd"?
(b) Du Bois.
11. What is Locke describing when he says "its a place inhabited and controlled by Negroes of many different walks of life"?
12. What does Locke question in "The Legacy of Ancestral Arts"?
(a) How Negro art forms were formed.
(b) What makes something art.
(c) The popularity of Negro arts.
(d) The ancestry of art.
13. What characteristic does the attitude of the "New Crowd" take?
14. What does the "old crowd" recommend in "A New Crowd - A New Negro"?
(a) Conservative measures.
(b) Conservative changes.
(c) Radical measures.
(d) Radical changes.
15. According to Locke, how do Negroes respond to their treatment by other races?
(a) They use it as an excuse to behave the way they do.
(b) They fight back.
(c) They allow themselves to be ridiculed.
(d) They back down.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fact does Locke cite at the end of "American Negro" in relation to outsider's perceptions?
2. According to Garvey, what should the "New Negro" be handed while building an empire in Africa?
3. Which of the following does the author of "A New Crowd - A New Negro" NOT describe as a necessary characteristic of a new leader?
4. Who cuts Cozzens with a razor from Pop Overton's shop in "Blades of Steel"?
5. What is "City Love" about?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)