|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Domingo, what are the men of the "Old Crowd" filled with?
(a) Men who are weak and old.
(b) Men who fight.
(c) Men who care for only themselves.
(d) Men who turn the other cheek.
2. What is Locke describing when he says "its a place inhabited and controlled by Negroes of many different walks of life"?
3. Which essay addresses the August 1900 incident?
(a) "The New Negro".
(b) "American Negro".
(c) "Black Manhattan".
4. What are the names of McKay's two poems?
(a) "Africa" and "Mulatto".
(b) "Mulatto" and "America".
(c) "Asia" and "Africa".
(d) "America" and "Africa".
5. What is the name of the girl who diffuses the altercation in the barber shop in "Blades of Steel"?
6. What happens to Sykes?
(a) Delia leaves him.
(b) A snake bites and kills him.
(c) His mistress leaves him.
(d) He is shot.
7. Who is the essay "Sweat" about?
(b) Hot summers in Mississippi.
(d) Hurston's life.
8. What does the boy buy Nicey at the end of "City Love"?
(a) A hat.
(d) A purse.
9. What kind of changes does Locke see in the overall perception of Negroes?
(a) Big, radical changes.
(b) Small changes.
(c) Postive changes.
(d) Negative changes.
10. What does Garvey hope to achieve from his plan to build an empire in Africa?
(a) A reward to the most loyal to the Negro race.
(b) Fellowship among tribes.
(c) A community.
(d) A new ideology.
11. What did the police officer of Johnson's essay think the wife was doing on the street corner?
(a) Waiting for someone.
(b) Acting drunk.
(d) About to jay walk.
12. Who cuts Cozzens with a razor from Pop Overton's shop in "Blades of Steel"?
(b) Pop Overton.
13. What age does Cullen specifically focus on in her writings?
14. What must the "New Negro" be willing to do in "A New Crowd - What Is He"?
(a) Heed the law of self-preservation.
(b) Demand equal pay.
(c) Work long, hard hours.
(d) Become wealthy.
15. Which story calls for donations to a defense fund for those accused of participation in recent riots?
(b) "If We Must Die".
(c) "The New Negro".
(d) "Defense of the Negro Rioters".
Short Answer Questions
1. What essay concludes with the idea that labor organizations should "harness the discontent of Negroes" in order to obtain "working class emancipation"?
2. What is the name of the police officer who is stabbed and killed in Johnson's essay?
3. According to Domingo, what are the men of the "New Crowd" filled with?
4. Where does the boxer from the essay "Wedding Day" leave America to go to?
5. What seems to be the consensus of the essays in "New Negro Radicalism"?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)