|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What specifically does Hughes describe in his impression of Harlem?
(c) Underground trains.
(d) Negroes cuisine.
2. What is the main character of "Sweat" afraid of?
3. What does the boy buy Nicey at the end of "City Love"?
(a) A hat.
(d) A purse.
4. What does the poem immediately following "The Legacy of Ancestral Arts" by Countee Cullen address?
(a) The history of her artwork.
(b) How to become a successful Negroe.
(c) Her thoughts on Harlem.
(d) Her thoughts on Africa.
5. What does McKay describe in "A Long Way from Home"?
(a) His journey home.
(b) The arrival at Ellis Island.
(c) His journey away from home.
6. What does the "New Negro" believe in?
(a) The rights of equality.
(b) The rights of others and free press and assembly.
(c) The rights to be wealthy.
(d) The rights to work with whites.
7. What is suggested that the whites must do in "Race Pride"?
(a) Leave Asia and African countries or accept all men as equal.
(b) Leave Asian and African countries.
(c) Accept men as equal.
(d) Stand a fight the fight.
8. What does Alain Locke suggest in "The New Negro" about the "old Negro"?
(a) The "old Negro" desires what the "new Negro" wants.
(b) The "old Negro" is very much active.
(c) The "old Negro" is nothing more than a myth or ideal.
(d) The "old Negro"has completely died out.
9. Who wrote "If We Must Die"?
(c) James Weldon Johnson.
10. What does Johnson say about the Negro Manhattan?
(a) It's the most beautiful and healthful.
(b) It's dilapidated.
(c) It's overpopulated.
(d) He loves it.
11. What age does Cullen specifically focus on in her writings?
12. What is the name of the police officer who is stabbed and killed in Johnson's essay?
(a) Bobby Therron.
(b) Robert Thorpe.
(c) Robert Thatcher.
(d) Rob Thorne.
13. How many outcomes does Randolph attribute to Mr. Garvey's ideals in "Garveyism"?
14. Which essay addresses the August 1900 incident?
(a) "The New Negro".
(b) "American Negro".
(d) "Black Manhattan".
15. What aspect of the Negro culture does Locke discuss?
(a) The physicality was missing.
(b) The spiritual aspect was supported.
(c) The spiritual aspect was beaten down.
(d) The spiritualitywas non-existent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives a list of leaders who fall under the category of the "Old Crowd"?
2. Who advocates the construction of a "great nation in Africa" in "Africa for the Africans"?
3. In which essay does Garvey outline the specifics of his plan to establish an empire in Africa?
4. What is the essay "To a Dark Girl" about?
5. What is being seen among the heritage of the minorities in "Race Pride"?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)