|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the essay "Race Pride"?
(a) Du Bois.
2. What ethnicity is Paul in the essay "Cane"?
(a) It never says directly.
3. Who is the author of "A New Crowd - A New Negro"?
(d) James Weldon Johnson.
4. Which of the following does the author of "A New Crowd - A New Negro" NOT describe as a necessary characteristic of a new leader?
5. In what essay does the author state that "a Negro will turn on another Negro if ordered"?
(a) "Black Manhattan".
(c) "If We Must Die".
(d) "From the Messenger - A Menace to Radicalism".
6. How many outcomes does Randolph attribute to Mr. Garvey's ideals in "Garveyism"?
7. What does the poem immediately following "The Legacy of Ancestral Arts" by Countee Cullen address?
(a) How to become a successful Negroe.
(b) Her thoughts on Africa.
(c) Her thoughts on Harlem.
(d) The history of her artwork.
8. Who is the author of "Harlem Reviewed"?
(a) Nikki Court.
(b) Nicholas Cunard.
(c) Nancy Cunard.
(d) Nicole Cunny.
9. Which story calls for donations to a defense fund for those accused of participation in recent riots?
(a) "The New Negro".
(c) "Defense of the Negro Rioters".
(d) "If We Must Die".
10. What does Locke notice about the bars and clubs in "The Legacy of Ancestral Arts"?
(a) Whites are just now being allowed to enter.
(b) Whites are serving Negroes.
(c) Whites are prohibited.
(d) They are now attracting a white clientele.
11. In "Africa for the Africans", what does Domingo say about the enslavement of Negroes?
(a) Africa enslaved the most slaves before the US Civil War.
(b) They were all enslaved once.
(c) Negroes haves been manipulated into killing and enslaving Negroes.
(d) Enslavement still exists today.
12. According to Locke, how do Negroes respond to their treatment by other races?
(a) They use it as an excuse to behave the way they do.
(b) They fight back.
(c) They allow themselves to be ridiculed.
(d) They back down.
13. What does the "New Negro" believe in?
(a) The rights of equality.
(b) The rights to work with whites.
(c) The rights to be wealthy.
(d) The rights of others and free press and assembly.
14. Who cuts Cozzens with a razor from Pop Overton's shop in "Blades of Steel"?
(d) Pop Overton.
15. Who was selected president for the group that was formed in response to the police's refusals?
(a) William Bradford.
(b) Bill Brooks.
(c) William H. Brooks.
(d) Willy Breaks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fisher note about the Cabaret dancers in his essay, "The Caucasian Storms Harlem"?
2. Who hates the main character of "Sweat"?
3. What does Locke question in "The Legacy of Ancestral Arts"?
4. What does Domingo hint to about the government's current state of being?
5. What does Garvey hope to achieve from his plan to build an empire in Africa?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)