|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the police officer of Johnson's essay think the wife was doing on the street corner?
(a) About to jay walk.
(c) Acting drunk.
(d) Waiting for someone.
2. Who is the essay "Luani of the Jungles" about?
(a) A monkey.
(b) A rabi.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A sailor.
3. What does Fisher note about the Cabaret dancers in his essay, "The Caucasian Storms Harlem"?
(a) Many are white.
(b) Many are old.
(c) Many are inexperienced.
(d) He hates them.
4. What is the name of the police officer who is stabbed and killed in Johnson's essay?
(a) Robert Thatcher.
(b) Robert Thorpe.
(c) Bobby Therron.
(d) Rob Thorne.
5. What does Locke analyze in relation to the conditions and movement of the "new Negro"?
(a) Why they migrated to the locations they chose.
(b) Where they move and migrateto.
(c) Trends and their tendencies to move.
(d) What motivated them to move.
6. What does the main character of "Sweat" do for a living?
(a) Cleans for "white folks".
(b) Keeps house.
(c) Cooks for "white folks".
(d) Laundry for "white folks".
7. What must the "New Negro" be willing to do in "A New Crowd - What Is He"?
(a) Demand equal pay.
(b) Heed the law of self-preservation.
(c) Become wealthy.
(d) Work long, hard hours.
8. In which essay does Garvey outline the specifics of his plan to establish an empire in Africa?
(a) "Defense of the Negro Rioters".
(c) "The Future As I See It".
(d) "Race Pride".
9. What does McKay describe in "A Long Way from Home"?
(a) His journey away from home.
(b) His journey home.
(c) The arrival at Ellis Island.
10. Who hates the main character of "Sweat"?
(a) Her mom.
(b) Her son.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her daughter.
11. What is "City Love" about?
(a) A boy and a girl trying to find a hotel room.
(b) A couple falling in love.
(c) Life in the city.
(d) A person falling in love with the city.
12. Who is the essay "Sweat" about?
(a) Hurston's life.
(c) Hot summers in Mississippi.
13. What follows the essay "A Long Way from Home"?
(a) A diary entry.
(b) 2 descriptive poems.
(c) A catalogue of events.
(d) A map.
14. What was formed as a response to the police's refusals in Johnson's essay?
(a) Citizen Protection.
(b) Citizens Protective League.
(c) Leagues of Prtection.
(d) Protection Gangs.
15. What sentiment is suggested about American Negroes in relation to Negroes in other parts of the world?
(a) They hate other parts of the world.
(b) They desire to go to other parts of the world.
(c) They are better off in America.
(d) They are worse off in America.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "A New Crowd - A New Negro"?
2. How many outcomes does Randolph attribute to Mr. Garvey's ideals in "Garveyism"?
3. In what essay does the author state that "a Negro will turn on another Negro if ordered"?
4. What is Locke describing when he says "its a place inhabited and controlled by Negroes of many different walks of life"?
5. What are the names of McKay's two poems?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)