|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the essay "Race Pride"?
(a) Du Bois.
2. Who hates the main character of "Sweat"?
(a) Her son.
(b) Her mom.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her daughter.
3. What essay concludes with the idea that labor organizations should "harness the discontent of Negroes" in order to obtain "working class emancipation"?
(b) "Black Manhattan".
(c) "If We Must Die".
(d) "From the Messenger - A Menace to Radicalism".
4. Who gives a list of leaders who fall under the category of the "Old Crowd"?
(a) Du Bois.
5. Who says that those participating in the riots were acting out of self-defense?
(d) Du Bois.
6. According to Domingo, what are the men of the "Old Crowd" filled with?
(a) Men who care for only themselves.
(b) Men who turn the other cheek.
(c) Men who are weak and old.
(d) Men who fight.
7. Who is the author of "Blades of Steel"?
8. What is "City Love" about?
(a) A person falling in love with the city.
(b) Life in the city.
(c) A boy and a girl trying to find a hotel room.
(d) A couple falling in love.
9. What is Locke describing when he says "its a place inhabited and controlled by Negroes of many different walks of life"?
10. What does McKay describe in "A Long Way from Home"?
(a) The arrival at Ellis Island.
(b) His journey away from home.
(d) His journey home.
11. Who cuts Cozzens with a razor from Pop Overton's shop in "Blades of Steel"?
(b) Pop Overton.
12. In "Africa for the Africans", what does Domingo say about the enslavement of Negroes?
(a) Enslavement still exists today.
(b) They were all enslaved once.
(c) Negroes haves been manipulated into killing and enslaving Negroes.
(d) Africa enslaved the most slaves before the US Civil War.
13. What does Garvey hope to achieve from his plan to build an empire in Africa?
(a) A community.
(b) A new ideology.
(c) Fellowship among tribes.
(d) A reward to the most loyal to the Negro race.
14. Where does the boxer from the essay "Wedding Day" leave America to go to?
15. What is the essay "To a Dark Girl" about?
(a) A pen pal.
(b) Growing past slavery.
(c) Growing up.
(d) Leaving home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What follows the essay "A Long Way from Home"?
2. Who advocates the construction of a "great nation in Africa" in "Africa for the Africans"?
3. What is suggested that the whites must do in "Race Pride"?
4. According to Locke, why have Negroes been treated a certain way?
5. What does the "old crowd" recommend in "A New Crowd - A New Negro"?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)