|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Reflections on the Renaissance.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Garvey, what should the "New Negro" be handed while building an empire in Africa?
(d) Aristocracy and privilege.
2. What is the title of the poem that expresses McKay's love and hatred for America?
(a) "The Duality of Life".
(b) "The Dual Relationship in America".
(c) "Mixed Emotions".
3. Who is always one step higher than the Negroes, according to Schuyler?
(a) The next poorest.
(d) The poorest of the poor.
4. What type of literary writing style is effective in the 3 line poem?
(a) The words are rounded off at the end to mimic the Negro speech.
(b) The words are written in perfect speech.
(c) It uses dramatic irony.
(d) It uses symbolism.
5. What does Hurston think about the originality of Negro artwork?
(a) It's abstract.
(b) It's appealing.
(c) She thinks it is unoriginal.
(d) It is original, although often discredited.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has democracy worked so well in America, according to "Our Greatest Gift to America"?
2. Whose growls are heard by the people at the end of "Uncle Monday"?
3. At the end of the section "Art and Propaganda", who wanted to be a pianist because of his brother's friends?
4. Which of the following is NOT a poem included by Hughes in the section "Afro American Identity - Who am I"?
5. What did the police officer of Johnson's essay think the wife was doing on the street corner?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)