|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the poem immediately following "The Legacy of Ancestral Arts" by Countee Cullen address?
(a) Her thoughts on Harlem.
(b) Her thoughts on Africa.
(c) The history of her artwork.
(d) How to become a successful Negroe.
2. What animal remains by Aunt Judy Bickerstaff in "Uncle Monday" until she begins to doubt herself?
(a) A snake.
(b) An alligator.
(c) A giraffe.
(d) A crocodile.
3. What happens to Sykes?
(a) He is shot.
(b) His mistress leaves him.
(c) Delia leaves him.
(d) A snake bites and kills him.
4. Who hates the main character of "Sweat"?
(a) Her mom.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her daughter.
(d) Her son.
5. According to Locke, how do Negroes respond to their treatment by other races?
(a) They use it as an excuse to behave the way they do.
(b) They allow themselves to be ridiculed.
(c) They back down.
(d) They fight back.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hurston later give credit to a "jook" being?
2. How does Hurston originally define the word "jook"?
3. What question is posed in regards to leadership roles of "A New Crowd - A New Negro"?
4. Who wrote the essay "Race Pride"?
5. What is Hurston's story "Shouting" about?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)