|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Art or Propaganda? High or Low Culture?.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of the essay by Langston Hughes that delves into the racial stumbling block Negro artists face?
(a) "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain".
(b) "The Race and the Artist".
(c) "The Artist and its Race".
(d) "The Race to be an Artist".
2. What is the title of Hughes's poem that points out that artistic endeavors can release the "hurt in your heart"?
(b) "Hurt Heart".
3. What does Locke question in "The Legacy of Ancestral Arts"?
(a) What makes something art.
(b) The ancestry of art.
(c) How Negro art forms were formed.
(d) The popularity of Negro arts.
4. What does the main character of "Sweat" do for a living?
(a) Keeps house.
(b) Cleans for "white folks".
(c) Laundry for "white folks".
(d) Cooks for "white folks".
5. Who says that those participating in the riots were acting out of self-defense?
(a) Du Bois.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hughes, what does he find to be a subconscious belief in most Negro homes?
2. In Thurman's story, who asks why he should focus only on his African roots when he has Indian and German roots as well?
3. What does the poem, "Poem", say the author has in common with the "little brown boy"?
4. Who was selected president for the group that was formed in response to the police's refusals?
5. Whose growls are heard by the people at the end of "Uncle Monday"?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)