|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Art or Propaganda? High or Low Culture?.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "Sterling Brown: The New Negro Folk Poet"?
2. What specifically does Hughes describe in his impression of Harlem?
(c) Negroes cuisine.
(d) Underground trains.
3. Who supposedly bewitches the main character of "Luani of the Jungles"?
(a) A Negro sailor.
(b) A fortune teller.
(c) A young Negro woman.
(d) A gypsy.
4. What do the police refuse in response to the murdered police officer in Johnson's essay?
(a) A trial for the officer's murderer.
(b) Peace among the Negroes.
(c) Any calls regarding the murder.
(d) Protective custody for Negroes seeking help.
5. Which of the following does the author of "A New Crowd - A New Negro" NOT describe as a necessary characteristic of a new leader?
Short Answer Questions
1. What essay concludes with the idea that labor organizations should "harness the discontent of Negroes" in order to obtain "working class emancipation"?
2. Where does the boxer from the essay "Wedding Day" leave America to go to?
3. What does Johnson say about the Negro Manhattan?
4. Who hates the main character of "Sweat"?
5. Who is the author of "Art or Propaganda"?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)