|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Art or Propaganda? High or Low Culture?.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the main character of "Sweat" do for a living?
(a) Cleans for "white folks".
(b) Laundry for "white folks".
(c) Cooks for "white folks".
(d) Keeps house.
2. How does the section "Art and Propaganda" end?
(a) With 2 poems.
(b) With an essay.
(c) With 2 songs.
(d) With 2 interviews.
3. Why do people in the village go to visit Uncle Monday in "Uncle Monday"?
(a) To take pictures.
(b) To hear his stories.
(c) For his craft.
(d) To be cured.
4. What essay concludes with the idea that labor organizations should "harness the discontent of Negroes" in order to obtain "working class emancipation"?
(b) "Black Manhattan".
(c) "If We Must Die".
(d) "From the Messenger - A Menace to Radicalism".
5. According to Locke, why have Negroes been treated a certain way?
(a) Lack of education.
(c) Lack of love.
(d) Lack of money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does the author of "A New Crowd - A New Negro" NOT describe as a necessary characteristic of a new leader?
2. In what essay does the author state that "a Negro will turn on another Negro if ordered"?
3. Who arrived in America as a child and was purchased by a man in Boston?
4. What term is coined to mean that African Americans do not produce art specific to their race due to the absorption of American ways?
5. What does Alain Locke suggest in "The New Negro" about the "old Negro"?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)