|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Art or Propaganda? High or Low Culture?.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who believes Africans did not add any words to the English language?
(c) Some etymologists.
(d) No one.
2. In what essay does the author state that "a Negro will turn on another Negro if ordered"?
(a) "If We Must Die".
(b) "Black Manhattan".
(d) "From the Messenger - A Menace to Radicalism".
3. What does the author of "Art or Propaganda" believe about the sustainability of art?
(a) Someone has to feel connected to it.
(b) It must have propaganda.
(c) It needs to be durable to last.
(d) It needs a purpose.
4. Who is the essay "Sweat" about?
(a) Hot summers in Mississippi.
(c) Hurston's life.
5. What happens to Sykes?
(a) A snake bites and kills him.
(b) Delia leaves him.
(c) His mistress leaves him.
(d) He is shot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fisher miss when he is away at medical school in "The Caucasian Storms Harlem"?
2. What does Hurston say about Negro art?
3. Why do people in the village go to visit Uncle Monday in "Uncle Monday"?
4. What did the police officer of Johnson's essay think the wife was doing on the street corner?
5. What is Hurston's story "Shouting" about?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)