|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Art or Propaganda? High or Low Culture?.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say about Negro men and slave trade in "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
(a) White men forced Negro men to work.
(b) No Negro men were allowed to work the slave trade.
(c) Some Negro men were active in halting the slave trade.
(d) Some Negro men were active in running the slave trade.
2. Who is the author of "Sterling Brown: The New Negro Folk Poet"?
3. In which essay does Garvey outline the specifics of his plan to establish an empire in Africa?
(a) "The Future As I See It".
(c) "Race Pride".
(d) "Defense of the Negro Rioters".
4. What do the essays in the section "Afro-American Identity - Who Am I" have in common?
(a) Negroes desire to learn.
(b) They connect Negroe relationships with their white counterparts.
(c) Negroes ancestry.
(d) Where negroes came from.
5. What essay concludes with the idea that labor organizations should "harness the discontent of Negroes" in order to obtain "working class emancipation"?
(a) "If We Must Die".
(b) "Black Manhattan".
(c) "From the Messenger - A Menace to Radicalism".
Short Answer Questions
1. What was formed as a response to the police's refusals in Johnson's essay?
2. Which of the following is NOT a poem included by Hughes in the section "Afro American Identity - Who am I"?
3. Who hates the main character of "Sweat"?
4. Whose growls are heard by the people at the end of "Uncle Monday"?
5. What is the biggest blockage for Negro artists, according to Hughes?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)