|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Art or Propaganda? High or Low Culture?.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the poem, "Poem", say the author has in common with the "little brown boy"?
(a) She too feels repressed.
(b) She is also a jig.
(c) She is also brown.
(d) She is also happy.
2. How does Hurston originally define the word "jook"?
(a) A song.
(b) A type of person.
(c) A food.
(d) A bawdy house.
3. Who was selected president for the group that was formed in response to the police's refusals?
(a) Willy Breaks.
(b) William Bradford.
(c) Bill Brooks.
(d) William H. Brooks.
4. What follows the essay "A Long Way from Home"?
(a) A diary entry.
(b) A map.
(c) A catalogue of events.
(d) 2 descriptive poems.
5. What essay concludes with the idea that labor organizations should "harness the discontent of Negroes" in order to obtain "working class emancipation"?
(a) "Black Manhattan".
(b) "From the Messenger - A Menace to Radicalism".
(c) "If We Must Die".
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristic does the attitude of the "New Crowd" take?
2. At the end of the section "Art and Propaganda", who wanted to be a pianist because of his brother's friends?
3. What is the title of the essay by Langston Hughes that delves into the racial stumbling block Negro artists face?
4. Who advocates the construction of a "great nation in Africa" in "Africa for the Africans"?
5. What does the author of "The Negro Digs Up His Past" conclude with?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)