|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Art or Propaganda? High or Low Culture?.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who hates the main character of "Sweat"?
(a) Her son.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her daughter.
(d) Her mom.
2. Who advocates the construction of a "great nation in Africa" in "Africa for the Africans"?
(a) Universal Negro Improvement Association.
(c) Marcus Garvey.
3. According to Hughes, what does he find to be a subconscious belief in most Negro homes?
(a) To be white is better.
(b) That they are inferior to whites.
(c) To be white means wealth.
(d) To be white means power.
4. What animal remains by Aunt Judy Bickerstaff in "Uncle Monday" until she begins to doubt herself?
(a) A giraffe.
(b) A snake.
(c) A crocodile.
(d) An alligator.
5. What does the author say about Negro men and slave trade in "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
(a) No Negro men were allowed to work the slave trade.
(b) White men forced Negro men to work.
(c) Some Negro men were active in running the slave trade.
(d) Some Negro men were active in halting the slave trade.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "Sterling Brown: The New Negro Folk Poet"?
2. What does Alain Locke suggest in "The New Negro" about the "old Negro"?
3. What do the essays in the section "Afro-American Identity - Who Am I" have in common?
4. What is the title of Hughes's poem that points out that artistic endeavors can release the "hurt in your heart"?
5. What does the author of "Art or Propaganda" believe about the sustainability of art?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)