|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Art or Propaganda? High or Low Culture?.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Locke question in "The Legacy of Ancestral Arts"?
(a) How Negro art forms were formed.
(b) The popularity of Negro arts.
(c) What makes something art.
(d) The ancestry of art.
2. What does Locke attribute to the migration of the "new Negro"?
(a) "A new born optimism".
(b) "A new vision of opportunity".
(c) "A desire for the old way of life".
(d) "A desire to reach "home".
3. Which of the following is NOT a poem included by Hughes in the section "Afro American Identity - Who am I"?
(a) "Crossing Jordan".
(c) "I Too Sing America".
4. Whose idea was that the Negro race is part of a greater destiny?
(a) James Weldon Johnson.
5. What did the police officer of Johnson's essay think the wife was doing on the street corner?
(a) About to jay walk.
(c) Waiting for someone.
(d) Acting drunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who believes Africans did not add any words to the English language?
2. What is the essay "To a Dark Girl" about?
3. What is the title of James Weldon Johnson's book that details events about Negro artists in general and poets in particular?
4. What is said that the "New Negro" will not allow from politicians in "The New Negro - What Is He"?
5. What is the influence of the Negro's heritage artwork compared to in "The Negro-Art Hokum"?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)