|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Urban Setting.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what essay does the author state that "a Negro will turn on another Negro if ordered"?
(a) "From the Messenger - A Menace to Radicalism".
(c) "If We Must Die".
(d) "Black Manhattan".
2. What follows the essay "A Long Way from Home"?
(a) 2 descriptive poems.
(b) A diary entry.
(c) A catalogue of events.
(d) A map.
3. What fact does Locke cite at the end of "American Negro" in relation to outsider's perceptions?
(a) They are slowly seeing humans in the Negro race.
(b) They see only what they want to see.
(c) They do not understand the Negro race.
(d) They are being studied and not debated about.
4. What do the police refuse in response to the murdered police officer in Johnson's essay?
(a) A trial for the officer's murderer.
(b) Any calls regarding the murder.
(c) Peace among the Negroes.
(d) Protective custody for Negroes seeking help.
5. What aspect of the Negro culture does Locke discuss?
(a) The spiritual aspect was beaten down.
(b) The spiritualitywas non-existent.
(c) The physicality was missing.
(d) The spiritual aspect was supported.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Locke say the Negro is willing to work for in "The New Negro"?
2. What is being seen among the heritage of the minorities in "Race Pride"?
3. What does Alain Locke suggest in "The New Negro" about the "old Negro"?
4. What essay concludes with the idea that labor organizations should "harness the discontent of Negroes" in order to obtain "working class emancipation"?
5. Who is the author of "Harlem Reviewed"?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)