|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the boy buy Nicey at the end of "City Love"?
(b) A purse.
(c) A hat.
2. What is the essay "To a Dark Girl" about?
(a) Growing up.
(b) A pen pal.
(c) Growing past slavery.
(d) Leaving home.
3. According to Hughes, what does he find to be a subconscious belief in most Negro homes?
(a) To be white means power.
(b) That they are inferior to whites.
(c) To be white means wealth.
(d) To be white is better.
4. What is the biggest blockage for Negro artists, according to Hughes?
(a) Tendency to discredit their work.
(b) Tendency to mimic lifestyle of whites.
(c) Inequality of wealth.
5. What essay concludes with the idea that labor organizations should "harness the discontent of Negroes" in order to obtain "working class emancipation"?
(a) "From the Messenger - A Menace to Radicalism".
(b) "If We Must Die".
(d) "Black Manhattan".
Short Answer Questions
1. What sentiment is suggested about American Negroes in relation to Negroes in other parts of the world?
2. Who is the author of "Harlem Reviewed"?
3. What do the police refuse in response to the murdered police officer in Johnson's essay?
4. Who sings "Shake that Thing" at local bars in the essay by Claude McKay?
5. How does the section "Art and Propaganda" end?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)