|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Afro-American Past - History and Folk Tradition; Visual Arts: To Celebrate Blackness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main character of "Sweat" afraid of?
2. How does Hurston originally define the word "jook"?
(a) A food.
(b) A song.
(c) A type of person.
(d) A bawdy house.
3. What kind of changes does Locke see in the overall perception of Negroes?
(a) Big, radical changes.
(b) Negative changes.
(c) Postive changes.
(d) Small changes.
4. Why do Negroes mimic according to Hurston?
(a) For the fun; not to be like others.
(b) To be like others.
(c) For money.
(d) To feel better.
5. What question is posed in regards to leadership roles of "A New Crowd - A New Negro"?
(a) Who will fight for their new ideaology.
(b) Who will end the old crowd.
(c) Who will become the president.
(d) Who will take over leadership roles when the old crowd no longer exists.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was selected president for the group that was formed in response to the police's refusals?
2. What must the "New Negro" be willing to do in "A New Crowd - What Is He"?
3. What does Alain Locke suggest in "The New Negro" about the "old Negro"?
4. Why do people in the village go to visit Uncle Monday in "Uncle Monday"?
5. Which of the following is NOT a poem included by Hughes in the section "Afro American Identity - Who am I"?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)