|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Afro-American Past - History and Folk Tradition; Visual Arts: To Celebrate Blackness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the police refuse in response to the murdered police officer in Johnson's essay?
(a) Any calls regarding the murder.
(b) A trial for the officer's murderer.
(c) Protective custody for Negroes seeking help.
(d) Peace among the Negroes.
2. Who supposedly bewitches the main character of "Luani of the Jungles"?
(a) A young Negro woman.
(b) A fortune teller.
(c) A gypsy.
(d) A Negro sailor.
3. What sentiment is suggested about American Negroes in relation to Negroes in other parts of the world?
(a) They are worse off in America.
(b) They desire to go to other parts of the world.
(c) They hate other parts of the world.
(d) They are better off in America.
4. What does Locke attribute to the migration of the "new Negro"?
(a) "A new born optimism".
(b) "A desire for the old way of life".
(c) "A desire to reach "home".
(d) "A new vision of opportunity".
5. What is Hurston's story "Shouting" about?
(a) Shouting in fear.
(b) Shouting in religious ceremonies.
(c) Shouting in anger.
(d) Shouting in torment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal remains by Aunt Judy Bickerstaff in "Uncle Monday" until she begins to doubt herself?
2. Who wrote the essay "Race Pride"?
3. What fact does Locke cite at the end of "American Negro" in relation to outsider's perceptions?
4. What is the essay "To a Dark Girl" about?
5. What does the author say about Negro men and slave trade in "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)