|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say about Negro men and slave trade in "The Negro Digs Up His Past"?
(a) White men forced Negro men to work.
(b) Some Negro men were active in halting the slave trade.
(c) No Negro men were allowed to work the slave trade.
(d) Some Negro men were active in running the slave trade.
2. Who argues that Negroes did alter the English language?
(a) No one.
(d) Some etymologists.
3. What does McKay describe in "A Long Way from Home"?
(a) His journey away from home.
(b) The arrival at Ellis Island.
(c) His journey home.
4. What does Hurston say about Negro art?
(a) It's fluid.
(b) It's harsh to the eye.
(c) It's symmetrical and angular.
(d) It's easy on the eye.
5. What is Locke describing when he says "its a place inhabited and controlled by Negroes of many different walks of life"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the ending section of "Afro-American Past - History and Folk Tradition"?
2. What does Hurston later give credit to a "jook" being?
3. In Johnson's essay, what is the name of the person who leaves his wife on a street corner, only to find her being harassed?
4. Why has democracy worked so well in America, according to "Our Greatest Gift to America"?
5. What was formed as a response to the police's refusals in Johnson's essay?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)