|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Alien Gospel or Source of Inspiration?; Alienation, Anger, Rage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of literary writing style is effective in the 3 line poem?
(a) It uses dramatic irony.
(b) The words are rounded off at the end to mimic the Negro speech.
(c) The words are written in perfect speech.
(d) It uses symbolism.
2. Which essay addresses the August 1900 incident?
(b) "Black Manhattan".
(c) "American Negro".
(d) "The New Negro".
3. What is the title of the poem that expresses McKay's love and hatred for America?
(a) "The Dual Relationship in America".
(c) "Mixed Emotions".
(d) "The Duality of Life".
4. What does Hurston later give credit to a "jook" being?
(a) A food.
(b) A song.
(c) A type of movement or dance.
(d) A house.
5. What does the author of "The Negro Digs up His Past" attribute his ideology to?
(a) Reclaimed background of the race as a whole.
(b) Self knowledge.
(c) Self motivation.
(d) His desire to be famous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alain Locke suggest in "The New Negro" about the "old Negro"?
2. What follows the essay "A Long Way from Home"?
3. What is the name of the police officer who is stabbed and killed in Johnson's essay?
4. What does the author of "The Negro Digs Up His Past" conclude with?
5. Who believes Africans did not add any words to the English language?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)