|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kreton finally do to begin his plan to take over the world?
2. Who does Powers note would not sit still for Kreton's overthrow of the world?
3. What does Ellen want Kreton to teach her after the first mind trick?
4. How does Kreton show his mental powers to Ellen?
5. what does Kreton admit to Rosemary he has done?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kreton explains that his race is superior to humans, in that they no longer have passion. Discuss your thoughts on his statement. Does Kreton seem superior to you? Why or why not? What benefits do emotions have for humans? Are there any downfalls? What would life be like without passion? Is this an improvement? Why or why not? Be sure to include information from the play in your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The role of women in "modern" society is another theme that runs throughout the novel. Reba and Ellen play two drastically different characters in the play, and Vidal seems to be representing two sides of the same coin with their behaviors. Compare and contrast the roles of Ellen and Reba to discover their representation of women in the novel. What are their reactions to things? Why do they react the way they do? What does this say about their representation of women? Do their behaviors change? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There is a scene in the play in which Kreton is served breakfast by Ellen, which consists, in part, of bacon. Answer the following in relation to that scene.
1. What is Kreton's reaction to the bacon? Why? What is Ellen's response? What does this say about Ellen's opinions of eating meat? What does this say about Kreton's opinions of eating meat? What was Vidal trying to say by having the "superior" creature refuse to eat meat? Why?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)