|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen do with the book in Act II?
2. Who does Powers note would not sit still for Kreton's overthrow of the world?
3. Who is the author of the book Conrad chooses for Ellen?
4. Who does Roger invite onto his television show?
5. What does Kreton gather is unacceptable regarding sleeping arrangements?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book, there are several references made to time travel, and the effects of such an event. Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. If Kreton's war had taken place, would history have changed? Why? What was Kreton's intended result? Would that have affected the future of the planet? Why or why not?
2. Kreton notes that history books would have to be altered. In real life, are history books ever changed? Why or why not? What does this say about time? What does this say about our perception of time? Was Kreton right, therefore, when he said time was relative? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The role of women in "modern" society is another theme that runs throughout the novel. Reba and Ellen play two drastically different characters in the play, and Vidal seems to be representing two sides of the same coin with their behaviors. Compare and contrast the roles of Ellen and Reba to discover their representation of women in the novel. What are their reactions to things? Why do they react the way they do? What does this say about their representation of women? Do their behaviors change? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Kreton explains that his race is superior to humans, in that they no longer have passion. Discuss your thoughts on his statement. Does Kreton seem superior to you? Why or why not? What benefits do emotions have for humans? Are there any downfalls? What would life be like without passion? Is this an improvement? Why or why not? Be sure to include information from the play in your answers.
This section contains 2,254 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)