|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Powers note would not sit still for Kreton's overthrow of the world?
2. What is Rosemary?
3. What did Kreton expect everyone to talk about?
4. What does Kreton announce he has done at the end of Act II?
5. Who does Kreton try to recruit to mate with Ellen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book, there are several references made to time travel, and the effects of such an event. Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. If Kreton's war had taken place, would history have changed? Why? What was Kreton's intended result? Would that have affected the future of the planet? Why or why not?
2. Kreton notes that history books would have to be altered. In real life, are history books ever changed? Why or why not? What does this say about time? What does this say about our perception of time? Was Kreton right, therefore, when he said time was relative? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Vidal suggests, through Kreton, that mankind is savage, violent, blood thirsty, and always ready for war. Do you think this is true? Why or why not? Based on the characters presented in the novel, do you believe Vidal portrayed his characters to agree or disagree with this notion? Why? Which characters represent an affinity for war, and which represent opposition to war? Why? Is Kreton correct in his assumptions, based on the character's actions, that humans are blood thirsty? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think Vidal was trying to say about the political situation of the world in the 1950s? Why? What are possible reasons for this? What was he trying to say about the U.S. government? About the Russian government? Be sure to be very specific in your answer, and include information from the book to back your argument.
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)