|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event did Kreton want to see?
2. What Act will Roger be indicted under if he leaks the story of aliens to America?
3. What does Conrad note Ellen can do at the same time as making love?
4. What is Ellen majoring in?
5. What type of trip does Kreton say the trip to Earth was?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is each character thinking at the end of Act I?
2. What are the reasons Ellen claims she cannot marry Conrad?
3. What topics are discussed by Kreton and Rosemary?
4. Throughout the novel, Reba has been concerned about things other than an alien presence. What issues have been of concern for her?
5. Why does the fight excite Kreton?
6. Describe the interview with Powers by Roger.
7. Aside from the politics of war, what does Powers complain will suffer as a result of this war?
8. Kreton tells Conrad that humans are "blood thirsty savages." Do you believe this is true?
9. Summarize the argument of Roger against the existence of UFOs.
10. Powers has an infatuation with laundry. Describe his conversation with Kreton about the topic.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Set design is imperative in conveying a specific sense of time and place within any play. Choose one of the following to discuss.
1. Choose one particular room in the set design. Explain all elements of the set, including the props, and explain how those elements are used to describe both the time and the place of the play.
2. Go through each room in the set, and choose one piece in each room that, alone, could convey a sense of time and space. What is the element? How does it function as an indicator of time and space? What else could it represent?
Essay Topic 2
Kreton argues that human beings are particularly adept at war, and that they specialize in it.
Part 1. Do you agree with Kreton? Why or why not? What makes us, as humans, good at war?
Part 2. Kreton also notes major scientific discoveries are found during war. Why is this true? What causes discoveries to be found during war? Does this argue for the use of war as a method of technological advancement? Why or why not? Would these discoveries have been made outside of war? Why?
Part 3. History is full of records of war. Why do humans engage in wars? What are some of the causes? Does this support or refute Kreton's position that humans specialize in war? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Kreton manipulates individuals throughout the novel in an effort to force them to create the world he originally envisioned when he envisioned Earth. Choose of the following manipulative situations to discuss.
1. Describe the situation where Kreton uses the thoughts of the aide to push Conrad into fighting. What was the aide thinking? Why did this bother Conrad? Is the fact that Conrad tried to hit the aide proof that Kreton is correct that humans are naturally violent? Or was Conrad abnormally motivated to violence by Kreton's manipulation? Why? Be sure to support your ideas with the book.
2. Describe the situation where Kreton uses the fight between Conrad and the aide to convince Ellen to marry Conrad. What was the fight about? Why did this change Ellen's opinion of marrying Conrad? Is the fact that Ellen married Conrad only after his show of violence proof that humans are violent creatures? Or was Ellen abnormally motivated to marry by Kreton's manipulation? Why? Be sure to support your ideas with the book.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)