|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event did Kreton want to see?
2. What does Kreton put around the ship?
3. What does Roger claim is the cause of people seeing a spacecraft?
4. What is on Reba's mind at the end of Act 1?
5. What does Reba note to Tom that has changed in her appearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Kreton notes that war is the specialty of humans. Is this true?
2. Explain why Roger is upset about Powers' revelations on the UFO, and what he tries to do about it.
3. Delton 4 says Kreton sees the world as his plaything. Do you think this is accurate?
4. Describe the scene when Kreton reveals his power. What can he do? How does he prove it?
5. Do you think Powers should be directing any military action, knowing he has never been in battle? Why or why not?
6. What are the limitations placed on the Speldings as a result of Kreton's presence?
7. Kreton notes the best scientific discoveries, including the atom bomb, radar, and lunch meat, were all discovered during war. Is this true?
8. Describe what Conrad says occurred during the night with Roger.
9. What does Powers see as the biggest problem in war?
10. What does Kreton's statement about the food Ellen brings indicate about his position on eating meat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in "modern" society is another theme that runs throughout the novel. Reba and Ellen play two drastically different characters in the play, and Vidal seems to be representing two sides of the same coin with their behaviors. Compare and contrast the roles of Ellen and Reba to discover their representation of women in the novel. What are their reactions to things? Why do they react the way they do? What does this say about their representation of women? Do their behaviors change? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Kreton argues that human beings are particularly adept at war, and that they specialize in it.
Part 1. Do you agree with Kreton? Why or why not? What makes us, as humans, good at war?
Part 2. Kreton also notes major scientific discoveries are found during war. Why is this true? What causes discoveries to be found during war? Does this argue for the use of war as a method of technological advancement? Why or why not? Would these discoveries have been made outside of war? Why?
Part 3. History is full of records of war. Why do humans engage in wars? What are some of the causes? Does this support or refute Kreton's position that humans specialize in war? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think Vidal was trying to say about the political situation of the world in the 1950s? Why? What are possible reasons for this? What was he trying to say about the U.S. government? About the Russian government? Be sure to be very specific in your answer, and include information from the book to back your argument.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)