|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kreton claim he needs to lay down?
2. What piece of equipment does Powers ask about in terms of the ship?
3. What does Conrad use as a name for hotel reservations at the Jefferson Davis?
4. In what year was Kreton expecting to land?
5. What is Ellen majoring in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Powers should be directing any military action, knowing he has never been in battle? Why or why not?
2. Why does Kreton have a difficult time explaining how long it took him to reach Earth?
3. What does Powers see as the biggest problem in war?
4. What are the limitations placed on the Speldings as a result of Kreton's presence?
5. Kreton notes that war is the specialty of humans. Is this true?
6. Summarize the argument of Roger against the existence of UFOs.
7. Why is Roger annoyed with Conrad and Ellen?
8. Why is Ellen upset with Conrad about a goat?
9. Kreton states he envies humans for being imperfect. Why do you think he says that?
10. Kreton makes a comment about why humans are odd when it comes to sex being taboo. Explain his opinion.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the play, Conrad plays the role of a pacifist throughout most of the scenes. However, when faced with a man having sexual thoughts about his girlfriend, he becomes violent. What does this say about Conrad's character? About pacifism? Is he truly a pacifist? His reasoning is that everyone, at some point, loses control, but that this doesn't make them naturally violent. Do you agree? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the play, Kreton notes several times that humans are addicted to violence. Do you agree? Why or why not? What elements in society tend to perpetuate that viewpoint? What elements refute it? Why? Do you feel that our society is one of violence? Has the world become more violent since the writing of the play? Why or why not? What does this indicate about Kreton's statement?
Essay Topic 3
Set design is imperative in conveying a specific sense of time and place within any play. Choose one of the following to discuss.
1. Choose one particular room in the set design. Explain all elements of the set, including the props, and explain how those elements are used to describe both the time and the place of the play.
2. Go through each room in the set, and choose one piece in each room that, alone, could convey a sense of time and space. What is the element? How does it function as an indicator of time and space? What else could it represent?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)