|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Lula call Stephanie?
2. Diesel makes the assumption that Ring's powers have:
3. Albert is compared to which of the following/
4. What time does Stephanie have to be back to relieve Diesel?
5. Lula is excited about seeing which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Stephanie's mother calls in hysterics. What has happened to cause Helen to be so upset?
2. What does Stephanie say hoping to get rid of Diesel for the night? How does the plan backfire?
3. Explain the scene at the mall, beginning with the parking lot.
4. Lula offers to stay with Stephanie at the workshop. What is Lula's reaction when she learns about the elves? What does Lula say about the elves?
5. What does Stephanie say to reassure Valerie?
6. Discuss the scene when Stephanie and Diesel arrive at the Plum house.
7. Explain the difference between Stephanie's and Valerie's lives.
8. What are Valerie's reasons for not wanting to marry Albert?
9. Why does Diesel think that Sandy will insist on handling Ring alone?
10. What is Diesel's explanation of the relationship between Ring and Sandy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Frank Plum is a retired postal worker that drives a cab part time to get away from Grandma Mazur. Frank is often in the background, relegated to making snide comments yet plays a strong role in the Plum home and in Stephanie's life. Create a character description for Frank Plum. Include family relationships and Frank's love of food and television.
Essay Topic 2
Helen Plum is a strict Catholic and devoted wife and mother. Unfortunately, Helen often finds it necessary to have a nip of whiskey on occasion. What causes Helen to reach for the whiskey bottle? Why does Helen try to hide it? Do you think she has an alcohol problem? Which two people are most likely to cause Helen to drink? Explain at least one episode in which Helen reached for the bottle to calm her nerves.
Essay Topic 3
Much of the story revolves around Sandy's elves. Discuss the elves and their job at the factory. Discuss Randy's new job as an elf and how Stephanie gets involved in the operation. Also discuss Lula's fascination with and eventual fear of elves. Examine the scenes in which Stephanie and Lula encounter the elves.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)