|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the surname of the main character?
2. How does Valerie's boyfriend react to the idea?
3. What is the name of Valerie's youngest daughter?
4. What is the charge against Claws?
5. What secret location is Stephanie eager to find?
Short Essay Questions
1. Stephanie's nieces are at the Plum house. What are the nieces' names and ages? What is unique about them?
2. Discuss the scene involving Mary Alice at the dinner table. How does the little girl react?
3. What happens during the opening scene of the book? Who are the characters?
4. Describe at least some of the conversation had in the kitchen with Stephanie, Grandma Mazur and Helen.
5. Where does Stephanie take Diesel to dinner? Describe the location. What is the reaction of the other people at the table?
6. What does Stephanie do to try to get rid of Diesel?
7. Who arrives for the usual Sunday dinner at the Plum House?
8. Describe the conversation between Helen and Stephanie regarding Christmas.
9. What does Diesel say when Stephanie lies about living alone?
10. What is Joe's reaction when he sees Diesel for the first time? The scene is related to what animal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diesel is vague about how he accomplishes some of his more unusual feats. All he will tell Stephanie is that he is "supernatural" or more likely, an "unmentionable." Discuss Diesel, his unmentionable status, and his real reason for being in Trenton. Also discuss Diesel's mysterious cohort Flash. Do you think Diesel is someone that will stick around or at least make frequent visits? What is the relationship between Diesel and Stephanie?
Essay Topic 2
Lula proudly admits to being a former "'ho" that has taken on a job as a file clerk. Discuss Lula's new profession and how her life is still colored by her old profession. Discuss Lula's unusual way of dressing as well as her questionable work ethic. Also describe Lula's friendship with Stephanie and Connie.
Essay Topic 3
Frank Plum is a retired postal worker that drives a cab part time to get away from Grandma Mazur. Frank is often in the background, relegated to making snide comments yet plays a strong role in the Plum home and in Stephanie's life. Create a character description for Frank Plum. Include family relationships and Frank's love of food and television.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)