|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the question of 'what exists compared to what appears' resolved, in "Sacrifices"?
2. What does Bataille say pyramids ensure?
3. How do men express their 'being', in "The Labyrinth"?
4. How did Andre Masson establish the tone of his book of drawings?
5. What does Bataille say is analogous to the maternal breast?
Essay Topic 1
Research Andre Breton's personality and his effect on surrealism, and assess the value of the proposition that Bataille was better off with Breton as an enemy than he would have been with him as a friend.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Bataille's opposition to dialectics. Is he consistent with his own anti-dialectic stance in his writing? Identify the places where Bataille's writing is most successful in opposing dialectics.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Bataille's writing style to comment on his literary personality and temperament.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)