|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tone did Andre Masson establish in his drawings?
2. What does Bataille say man demanded of the earth?
3. What did Hegel claim about nature?
4. What does Bataille say poor people cannot stop rich people from doing?
5. What does Bataille say profit leads to, in "The Labyrinth"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role and importance of creativity in Bataille's thinking about art and politics.
Essay Topic 2
Bataille is often revolutionary in his claims and expressions. What would a Bataille revolution look like? Would there be leaders, or would it be anarchy? Based on the text, speculate on the outcome of a revolution based on Bataille's work.
Essay Topic 3
Bataille valued revolutionary concepts from Marx and Hegel, but when the National Socialists came to power in Germany, he organized the Popular Front to oppose it. Characterize Bataille's desire for revolution, in art, in culture, and in European politics.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)