|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say about meaning in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?
2. What does Bataille's 'me in the void' realize in "Sacrifices"?
3. What kinds of expenditure does artistic production require?
4. From what does Bataille say Alfred Baumler distilled a doctrine of the people's will to power?
5. With whose picture does Bataille say Nietzsche's picture was paired?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bataille reconcile the opposition between self and world in "Sacrifices"?
2. How does the artist give meaning in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?
3. How does Bataille portray Engels' interpretation of Hegel's philosophy in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
4. What does Bataille see as the value of Christianity of in "The Notion of Expenditure"?
5. What will cause the death and resurrection of God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
6. What is the importance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
7. How does a man find himself in "The Labyrinth"?
8. When does Bataille date the origin of the Popular Front to?
9. What is the essence of Bataille's essay "The Practice of Joy before Death"?
10. How do Fascists define God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Bataille's political stance. What parties did he support in his day? What parties or policies would he likely support today?
Essay Topic 2
Assess the value of Andre Breton's claim that Bataille was an 'excremental philosopher'. Is this a fair characterization of Bataille's work, or is Breton missing the point?
Essay Topic 3
Bataille is often revolutionary in his claims and expressions. What would a Bataille revolution look like? Would there be leaders, or would it be anarchy? Based on the text, speculate on the outcome of a revolution based on Bataille's work.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)