|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say profit leads to, in "The Labyrinth"?
2. What was Nietzsche's relationship with fascism, in Bataille's account?
3. What results from acting in specialized areas, in Bataille's opinion in "The Labyrinth"?
4. How is the question of 'what exists compared to what appears' resolved, in "Sacrifices"?
5. What does Bataille say man demanded of the earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is fascism's relationship with homo- and heterogeneity?
2. What does Bataille say is the only true liberating act, in "Propositions"?
3. How does Bataille reconcile the opposition between self and world in "Sacrifices"?
4. How does Andre Masson create the tone of the drawings in the book for which Bataille wrote a preface?
5. How did Nietzsche respond to the decay of his culture, according to Bataille's essay "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
6. How does Bataille describe the individual in "The College of Sociology"?
7. When does Bataille date the origin of the Popular Front to?
8. What is the importance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
9. What aspect of Nietzsche's philosophy did the Fascists appropriate, in Bataille's account in "Nietzsche and the Fascists"?
10. What do Masson's drawing symbolize for Bataille?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the Popular Front fulfill Bataille's ideal of heterogeneity? Analyze his description of the organization in relation with his other essays about revolution and order.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is Bataille a sacrificial victim? Analyze his essays where sacrifices appear, in addition to the essays where he talks about his role as an author, and describe him as either the sacrificing priest or the sacrificial victim himself.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Bataille's development as a person and as a writer over the course of his career. How did Bataille learn and grow? What were the primary questions or conflicts he grew by resolving?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)