|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feeling does Bataille say grows in response to revolutionaries?
2. Which of the following is one of the directions recomposition of society can take?
3. How did fascists see Nietzsche?
4. Why is classical utility theory inadequate, in Bataille's opinion?
5. What does Bataille say about a man who knows his neighbors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will cause the death and resurrection of God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
2. How do Fascists define God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
3. What do Masson's drawing symbolize for Bataille?
4. How does Andre Masson create the tone of the drawings in the book for which Bataille wrote a preface?
5. When does Bataille date the origin of the Popular Front to?
6. What does Bataille say is the only true liberating act, in "Propositions"?
7. What does contemporary society offer men in "The Sacred Conspiracy", and what does man demand for himself?
8. What is the difference between homogeneous and heterogeneous culture as Bataille defines them in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
9. What aspect of Nietzsche's philosophy did the Fascists appropriate, in Bataille's account in "Nietzsche and the Fascists"?
10. What is Bataille's interpretation of Veblen's theory of conspicuous consumption?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What exactly is it that Bataille wants people to see about reality and human experience? Describe the value of pornographic or chaotic or revolutionary things in Bataille's work.
Essay Topic 2
Bataille is often revolutionary in his claims and expressions. What would a Bataille revolution look like? Would there be leaders, or would it be anarchy? Based on the text, speculate on the outcome of a revolution based on Bataille's work.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Bataille's opposition to dialectics. Is he consistent with his own anti-dialectic stance in his writing? Identify the places where Bataille's writing is most successful in opposing dialectics.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)