|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bataille intend to define "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
2. What movement does Bataille say in "The Sacred" was heir to Vincent Van Gogh and Rimbaud?
3. What does Bataille use as evidence of his position on dialectics?
4. What does Bataille describe in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
5. What does Bataille say is the contradiction in Christians worshiping God?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between homogeneous and heterogeneous culture as Bataille defines them in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
2. How does Alfred Rosenberg clarify the issue of Nietzsche's relationship with the Fascists?
3. What is fascism's relationship with homo- and heterogeneity?
4. How does Bataille describe the individual in "The College of Sociology"?
5. How does Andre Masson create the tone of the drawings in the book for which Bataille wrote a preface?
6. What pattern for self-discovery does Bataille offer in "The Sacred"?
7. How does the artist give meaning in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?
8. What does Bataille see as the value of Christianity of in "The Notion of Expenditure"?
9. Briefly describe the theory of conspicuous consumption.
10. What is Bataille's interpretation of Veblen's theory of conspicuous consumption?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the importance of Nietzsche's ideas and writing in Bataille's work--what did Bataille say by referring to Nietzsche's work?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Bataille's political stance. What parties did he support in his day? What parties or policies would he likely support today?
Essay Topic 3
How has the importance of obscenity in literature changed since Bataille's time? Research the reactions to Bataille and to other writers who used disorienting or profane language during Bataille's time, and describe the changes that have taken place in readers' response to obscene or profane or sacrilegious material.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)