|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the homogeneous part of society purchase?
2. How did Engels and Hartmann differ on the tenets of Hegel's "Philosophy of Nature"?
3. What did Bataille and Andre Masson dream about as Bataille was writing "The Labyrinth"?
4. What does Bataille say man demanded of the earth?
5. What does Bataille say Nietzschean pride comes from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the Popular Front fulfill Bataille's ideal of heterogeneity? Analyze his description of the organization in relation with his other essays about revolution and order.
Essay Topic 2
Bataille valued revolutionary concepts from Marx and Hegel, but when the National Socialists came to power in Germany, he organized the Popular Front to oppose it. Characterize Bataille's desire for revolution, in art, in culture, and in European politics.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Bataille's relationship with other authors or thinkers, and describe how Bataille navigates between keeping the writer's thoughts and rejecting them. He doesn't just throw them out, does he? How would you characterize his relationship with the work that precedes him? Use examples from the text to explain.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)