|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say money measures, in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
2. How do men express their 'being', in "The Labyrinth"?
3. What does Bataille's 'me in the void' realize in "Sacrifices"?
4. What does Bataille define as a way to humiliate, defy, or obligate a poorer person as a show of destruction of wealth?
5. Where did Engels look for examples to test the dialectic method of Marx and Hegel?
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is Bataille a sacrificial victim? Analyze his essays where sacrifices appear, in addition to the essays where he talks about his role as an author, and describe him as either the sacrificing priest or the sacrificial victim himself.
Essay Topic 2
Bataille aligned himself with Catholicism before he broke with it as a young man--but what religion can we interpolate from Bataille's writing? Analyze his writings and describe the religion or lack of religion in Bataille's writing.
Essay Topic 3
What exactly is it that Bataille wants people to see about reality and human experience? Describe the value of pornographic or chaotic or revolutionary things in Bataille's work.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)