|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say man demanded of the earth?
2. What is the significance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
3. What tone did Andre Masson establish in his drawings?
4. Under what conditions can a state be democratic, in Bataille's opinion?
5. With whose picture does Bataille say Nietzsche's picture was paired?
Short Essay Questions
1. What flaw does Bataille identify in dialectic philosophy in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
2. What pattern for self-discovery does Bataille offer in "The Sacred"?
3. How did Nietzsche respond to the decay of his culture, according to Bataille's essay "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
4. What is Bataille's theme in "The Labyrinth"?
5. Summarize Nicolai Hartmann's interpretation of Hegel.
6. How does Andre Masson create the tone of the drawings in the book for which Bataille wrote a preface?
7. What does Bataille see as the value of Christianity of in "The Notion of Expenditure"?
8. What is the importance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
9. What will cause the death and resurrection of God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
10. How does Bataille describe the individual in "The College of Sociology"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Bataille's relationship with other authors or thinkers, and describe how Bataille navigates between keeping the writer's thoughts and rejecting them. He doesn't just throw them out, does he? How would you characterize his relationship with the work that precedes him? Use examples from the text to explain.
Essay Topic 2
Bataille valued revolutionary concepts from Marx and Hegel, but when the National Socialists came to power in Germany, he organized the Popular Front to oppose it. Characterize Bataille's desire for revolution, in art, in culture, and in European politics.
Essay Topic 3
Which does Bataille consider more horrifying, freaks, or violence to eyeballs? Describe what Bataille sees as horrific about these concepts and experiences.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)