|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say the theory of conspicuous consumption is used for?
2. What was Mussolini's relationship with Nietzsche?
3. From what does Bataille say Alfred Baumler distilled a doctrine of the people's will to power?
4. When does an obelisk cease to be meaningful?
5. What circumstances must be in place for the science function to be served, in Bataille's account in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Bataille date the origin of the Popular Front to?
2. What is Bataille's theme in "The Labyrinth"?
3. How does Alfred Rosenberg clarify the issue of Nietzsche's relationship with the Fascists?
4. What is the importance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
5. How does a man find himself in "The Labyrinth"?
6. What is the essence of Bataille's essay "The Practice of Joy before Death"?
7. What is Bataille's interpretation of Veblen's theory of conspicuous consumption?
8. Judging by "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic" and his other essays, what does Bataille see as the value of dialectics?
9. What is fascism's relationship with homo- and heterogeneity?
10. What will cause the death and resurrection of God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assess the claim that Bataille's thinking cannot be reduced to a particular theme or set of values. What is the role of multiplicity and contradiction in Bataille's writing?
Essay Topic 2
How did the Popular Front fulfill Bataille's ideal of heterogeneity? Analyze his description of the organization in relation with his other essays about revolution and order.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role and importance of creativity in Bataille's thinking about art and politics.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)