|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Engels look for examples to test the dialectic method of Marx and Hegel?
2. What did fascism use Nietzsche's writing to oppose?
3. What does Bataille say Nietzschean pride comes from?
4. What is the significance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
5. What does Bataille say money measures, in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bataille describe the individual in "The College of Sociology"?
2. What is Bataille's theme in "The Labyrinth"?
3. When does Bataille date the origin of the Popular Front to?
4. What is the essence of Bataille's essay "The Practice of Joy before Death"?
5. How does Bataille reconcile the opposition between self and world in "Sacrifices"?
6. What will cause the death and resurrection of God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
7. How did Nietzsche respond to the decay of his culture, according to Bataille's essay "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
8. What flaw does Bataille identify in dialectic philosophy in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
9. What do Masson's drawing symbolize for Bataille?
10. What is fascism's relationship with homo- and heterogeneity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is Bataille a sacrificial victim? Analyze his essays where sacrifices appear, in addition to the essays where he talks about his role as an author, and describe him as either the sacrificing priest or the sacrificial victim himself.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Bataille's writing style to comment on his literary personality and temperament.
Essay Topic 3
Bataille aligned himself with Catholicism before he broke with it as a young man--but what religion can we interpolate from Bataille's writing? Analyze his writings and describe the religion or lack of religion in Bataille's writing.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)