|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under whom does fascism unite society, in Bataille's account?
2. What does Bataille say profit leads to, in "The Labyrinth"?
3. What was Nietzsche's relationship with fascism, in Bataille's account?
4. How did fascists see Nietzsche?
5. Who is Elisabeth Judas-Forster?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Nicolai Hartmann's interpretation of Hegel.
2. What do Masson's drawing symbolize for Bataille?
3. What is the importance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
4. What is the essence of Bataille's essay "The Practice of Joy before Death"?
5. What does Bataille see as the value of Christianity of in "The Notion of Expenditure"?
6. Describe Bataille's notion of potlatch.
7. What will cause the death and resurrection of God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
8. What does contemporary society offer men in "The Sacred Conspiracy", and what does man demand for himself?
9. How do Fascists define God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
10. Judging by "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic" and his other essays, what does Bataille see as the value of dialectics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Bataille's writing style to comment on his literary personality and temperament.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Bataille's opposition to dialectics. Is he consistent with his own anti-dialectic stance in his writing? Identify the places where Bataille's writing is most successful in opposing dialectics.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is Bataille a sacrificial victim? Analyze his essays where sacrifices appear, in addition to the essays where he talks about his role as an author, and describe him as either the sacrificing priest or the sacrificial victim himself.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)