|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whose picture does Bataille say Nietzsche's picture was paired?
2. Which of the following is one of the directions recomposition of society can take?
3. When does an obelisk cease to be meaningful?
4. What approaches to Hegel's philosophy did Nicolai Hartmann compare?
5. What does Bataille say is the contradiction in Christians worshiping God?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Andre Masson create the tone of the drawings in the book for which Bataille wrote a preface?
2. What pattern for self-discovery does Bataille offer in "The Sacred"?
3. How does Bataille portray Engels' interpretation of Hegel's philosophy in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
4. How do Fascists define God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
5. What is the importance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
6. How does a man find himself in "The Labyrinth"?
7. How did Nietzsche respond to the decay of his culture, according to Bataille's essay "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
8. What aspect of Nietzsche's philosophy did the Fascists appropriate, in Bataille's account in "Nietzsche and the Fascists"?
9. What is the essence of Bataille's essay "The Practice of Joy before Death"?
10. How does the artist give meaning in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Bataille's opposition to dialectics. Is he consistent with his own anti-dialectic stance in his writing? Identify the places where Bataille's writing is most successful in opposing dialectics.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Bataille's political stance. What parties did he support in his day? What parties or policies would he likely support today?
Essay Topic 3
Bataille is often revolutionary in his claims and expressions. What would a Bataille revolution look like? Would there be leaders, or would it be anarchy? Based on the text, speculate on the outcome of a revolution based on Bataille's work.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)