|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who developed the theory of conspicuous consumption?
2. What does Bataille's 'me in the void' realize in "Sacrifices"?
3. Where does fascism originate?
4. What does Bataille describe as a symptom of cultural crisis?
5. Which of the following is one of the directions recomposition of society can take?
Short Essay Questions
1. Judging by "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic" and his other essays, what does Bataille see as the value of dialectics?
2. What does contemporary society offer men in "The Sacred Conspiracy", and what does man demand for himself?
3. How did Nietzsche respond to the decay of his culture, according to Bataille's essay "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
4. What pattern for self-discovery does Bataille offer in "The Sacred"?
5. What is fascism's relationship with homo- and heterogeneity?
6. How does Bataille describe the individual in "The College of Sociology"?
7. How does Andre Masson create the tone of the drawings in the book for which Bataille wrote a preface?
8. What flaw does Bataille identify in dialectic philosophy in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
9. Describe Bataille's notion of potlatch.
10. What does Bataille see as the value of Christianity of in "The Notion of Expenditure"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Bataille's relationship with other authors or thinkers, and describe how Bataille navigates between keeping the writer's thoughts and rejecting them. He doesn't just throw them out, does he? How would you characterize his relationship with the work that precedes him? Use examples from the text to explain.
Essay Topic 2
Research Andre Breton's personality and his effect on surrealism, and assess the value of the proposition that Bataille was better off with Breton as an enemy than he would have been with him as a friend.
Essay Topic 3
Bataille aligned himself with Catholicism before he broke with it as a young man--but what religion can we interpolate from Bataille's writing? Analyze his writings and describe the religion or lack of religion in Bataille's writing.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)