|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of men's 'being' does Bataille compare in "The Labyrinth"?
2. What does Bataille say man demanded of the earth?
3. How does bourgeois society enslave and degrade poor men, in Bataille's opinion?
4. What does Bataille say poor people cannot stop rich people from doing?
5. Under whom does fascism unite society, in Bataille's account?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Andre Masson create the tone of the drawings in the book for which Bataille wrote a preface?
2. What is the essence of Bataille's essay "The Practice of Joy before Death"?
3. What is the importance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
4. How did Nietzsche respond to the decay of his culture, according to Bataille's essay "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
5. What is Bataille's interpretation of Veblen's theory of conspicuous consumption?
6. How does Bataille portray Engels' interpretation of Hegel's philosophy in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
7. What will cause the death and resurrection of God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
8. What pattern for self-discovery does Bataille offer in "The Sacred"?
9. Describe Bataille's notion of potlatch.
10. How does Bataille reconcile the opposition between self and world in "Sacrifices"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bataille aligned himself with Catholicism before he broke with it as a young man--but what religion can we interpolate from Bataille's writing? Analyze his writings and describe the religion or lack of religion in Bataille's writing.
Essay Topic 2
How did the Popular Front fulfill Bataille's ideal of heterogeneity? Analyze his description of the organization in relation with his other essays about revolution and order.
Essay Topic 3
Bataille valued revolutionary concepts from Marx and Hegel, but when the National Socialists came to power in Germany, he organized the Popular Front to oppose it. Characterize Bataille's desire for revolution, in art, in culture, and in European politics.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)