|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of men's 'being' does Bataille compare in "The Labyrinth"?
2. When does an obelisk cease to be meaningful?
3. Why is classical utility theory inadequate, in Bataille's opinion?
4. What did Bataille and Andre Masson dream about as Bataille was writing "The Labyrinth"?
5. What does Bataille say money measures, in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bataille describe the individual in "The College of Sociology"?
2. How does Andre Masson create the tone of the drawings in the book for which Bataille wrote a preface?
3. When does Bataille date the origin of the Popular Front to?
4. How does Bataille reconcile the opposition between self and world in "Sacrifices"?
5. What does Bataille see as the value of Christianity of in "The Notion of Expenditure"?
6. How does Alfred Rosenberg clarify the issue of Nietzsche's relationship with the Fascists?
7. How do Fascists define God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
8. How did Nietzsche respond to the decay of his culture, according to Bataille's essay "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
9. What pattern for self-discovery does Bataille offer in "The Sacred"?
10. What is the importance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Bataille's opposition to dialectics. Is he consistent with his own anti-dialectic stance in his writing? Identify the places where Bataille's writing is most successful in opposing dialectics.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Bataille's writing style to comment on his literary personality and temperament.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Bataille's relationship with other authors or thinkers, and describe how Bataille navigates between keeping the writer's thoughts and rejecting them. He doesn't just throw them out, does he? How would you characterize his relationship with the work that precedes him? Use examples from the text to explain.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)