|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Engels work for eight years to develop, but ultimately disavow?
2. What does Bataille say is analogous to the maternal breast?
3. Under what conditions can a state be democratic, in Bataille's opinion?
4. What creatures' 'being' does Bataille compare in "The Labyrinth"?
5. What does Bataille say about the knife whose handle and blade are changed indefinitely?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a man find himself in "The Labyrinth"?
2. When does Bataille date the origin of the Popular Front to?
3. Describe Bataille's notion of potlatch.
4. How does Bataille reconcile the opposition between self and world in "Sacrifices"?
5. How does Andre Masson create the tone of the drawings in the book for which Bataille wrote a preface?
6. How does the artist give meaning in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?
7. What is the difference between homogeneous and heterogeneous culture as Bataille defines them in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
8. What does contemporary society offer men in "The Sacred Conspiracy", and what does man demand for himself?
9. How does Alfred Rosenberg clarify the issue of Nietzsche's relationship with the Fascists?
10. What is Bataille's interpretation of Veblen's theory of conspicuous consumption?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Bataille's development as a person and as a writer over the course of his career. How did Bataille learn and grow? What were the primary questions or conflicts he grew by resolving?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Bataille's relationship with other authors or thinkers, and describe how Bataille navigates between keeping the writer's thoughts and rejecting them. He doesn't just throw them out, does he? How would you characterize his relationship with the work that precedes him? Use examples from the text to explain.
Essay Topic 3
Bataille aligned himself with Catholicism before he broke with it as a young man--but what religion can we interpolate from Bataille's writing? Analyze his writings and describe the religion or lack of religion in Bataille's writing.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)