|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say is the only virtue for fascists?
2. What kinds of expenditure does artistic production require?
3. What was Bataille summing up in his "Propositions"?
4. What was Nietzsche's relationship with fascism, in Bataille's account?
5. What does Bataille say money measures, in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does contemporary society offer men in "The Sacred Conspiracy", and what does man demand for himself?
2. What is Bataille's interpretation of Veblen's theory of conspicuous consumption?
3. What is fascism's relationship with homo- and heterogeneity?
4. How does the artist give meaning in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?
5. What pattern for self-discovery does Bataille offer in "The Sacred"?
6. What is the essence of Bataille's essay "The Practice of Joy before Death"?
7. When does Bataille date the origin of the Popular Front to?
8. Describe Bataille's notion of potlatch.
9. What flaw does Bataille identify in dialectic philosophy in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
10. Judging by "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic" and his other essays, what does Bataille see as the value of dialectics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assess Bataille's place in the rank of surrealists--In what ways is he a surrealist, and in what ways does his art exceed or fail to live up to surrealism?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role and importance of creativity in Bataille's thinking about art and politics.
Essay Topic 3
Research Andre Breton's personality and his effect on surrealism, and assess the value of the proposition that Bataille was better off with Breton as an enemy than he would have been with him as a friend.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)