|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What critique does Bataille make in "The Critique of the Foundations of Hegelian Dialectic"?
2. How do the rats appear in "[Dream]"?
3. What flower is Marquis de Sade plucking petals off, at the end of "The Language of Flowers"?
4. What description fits with the "Acephale" group?
5. Where did Bataille go to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the mouth in "Mouth" compare with the eyeball in ''The Eye'?
2. What claim did Bataille make in "The Lugubrious Game"?
3. What are the terrifying images in "[Dream]"?
4. What is Bataille's relationship with Hegel?
5. What is the value of intellectual violence in Bataille's work?
6. What was Bataille's involvement with "Acephale"?
7. What is expressed in the language of flowers in "The Language of Flowers"?
8. How does Bataille describe his role in "The Jesuve"?
9. Describe the importance of myth in Bataille's writing and thinking.
10. Describe Bataille's religion in childhood.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role and importance of creativity in Bataille's thinking about art and politics.
Essay Topic 2
Assess the value of Andre Breton's claim that Bataille was an 'excremental philosopher'. Is this a fair characterization of Bataille's work, or is Breton missing the point?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Bataille's opposition to dialectics. Is he consistent with his own anti-dialectic stance in his writing? Identify the places where Bataille's writing is most successful in opposing dialectics.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)