|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
2. What do flowers witness, in "The Language of Flowers"?
3. Where was Bataille born?
4. What does Bataille say was the driving force beneath his heterodox theory?
5. What was Bataille afraid of as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Bataille's first book received?
2. Describe Bataille's birth and family origins.
3. Describe the importance of myth in Bataille's writing and thinking.
4. What is expressed in the language of flowers in "The Language of Flowers"?
5. Describe Bataille's experience with psychoanalysis.
6. How does Bataille describe his role in "The Jesuve"?
7. What does Bataille say about surrealism in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
8. What type of essay is "Formless"?
9. What was Bataille's relationship with Andrea Breton?
10. Describe Bataille's religion in childhood.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the importance of Nietzsche's ideas and writing in Bataille's work--what did Bataille say by referring to Nietzsche's work?
Essay Topic 2
Assess Bataille's place in the rank of surrealists--In what ways is he a surrealist, and in what ways does his art exceed or fail to live up to surrealism?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Bataille's writing style to comment on his literary personality and temperament.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)