|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
2. What does the other self-mutilator (besides Van Gogh) do in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh"?
3. Whom did the Popular Front join with?
4. What does standing upright do for man in "The Big Toe"?
5. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Bataille's involvement with "Acephale"?
2. What experience does Bataille elevate in "Rotten Sun"?
3. Describe Bataille's experience with psychoanalysis.
4. What are the terrifying images in "[Dream]"?
5. Describe the change in Bataille's early work to his more mature work and values.
6. What was Bataille's objection to Nietzsche?
7. What claim did Bataille make in "The Lugubrious Game"?
8. What was Bataille's relationship with Andrea Breton?
9. How would you characterize Bataille's thoughts on society and economy?
10. Describe the paradox at the heart of "Materialism".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Bataille's development as a person and as a writer over the course of his career. How did Bataille learn and grow? What were the primary questions or conflicts he grew by resolving?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Bataille's writing style to comment on his literary personality and temperament.
Essay Topic 3
Assess the value of Andre Breton's claim that Bataille was an 'excremental philosopher'. Is this a fair characterization of Bataille's work, or is Breton missing the point?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)