|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Bataille rebel against his father?
2. What critique does Bataille make in "The Critique of the Foundations of Hegelian Dialectic"?
3. Where did Bataille work until 1942?
4. How does Bataille describe the Mithraic cult ritual of the sun in "Rotten Sun"?
5. How does Bataille describe his work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you characterize Bataille's thoughts on society and economy?
2. Describe Bataille's experience with psychoanalysis.
3. Describe Bataille's schooling.
4. Describe the importance of myth in Bataille's writing and thinking.
5. Describe the paradox at the heart of "Materialism".
6. Describe Bataille's birth and family origins.
7. What experience does Bataille elevate in "Rotten Sun"?
8. What was Bataille's relationship with Andrea Breton?
9. What were Bataille's early publications?
10. What is Bataille's relationship with Hegel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Bataille's political stance. What parties did he support in his day? What parties or policies would he likely support today?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is Bataille a sacrificial victim? Analyze his essays where sacrifices appear, in addition to the essays where he talks about his role as an author, and describe him as either the sacrificing priest or the sacrificial victim himself.
Essay Topic 3
Assess Bataille's place in the rank of surrealists--In what ways is he a surrealist, and in what ways does his art exceed or fail to live up to surrealism?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)