|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Bataille publish "W.C."?
2. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
3. What does Bataille say about monsters in "The Deviations of Nature"?
4. What do flowers witness, in "The Language of Flowers"?
5. What does standing upright do for man in "The Big Toe"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you characterize Bataille's thoughts on society and economy?
2. Describe Bataille's birth and family origins.
3. What was Bataille's relationship with Andrea Breton?
4. What claim did Bataille make in "The Lugubrious Game"?
5. Describe Bataille's experience with psychoanalysis.
6. What were Bataille's early publications?
7. How does the mouth in "Mouth" compare with the eyeball in ''The Eye'?
8. What distinguished the big toe in "The Big Toe"?
9. What does Bataille say about surrealism in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
10. What is the value of Gnosticism in "Base Materialism and Gnosticism"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assess the value of Andre Breton's claim that Bataille was an 'excremental philosopher'. Is this a fair characterization of Bataille's work, or is Breton missing the point?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Bataille's relationship with other authors or thinkers, and describe how Bataille navigates between keeping the writer's thoughts and rejecting them. He doesn't just throw them out, does he? How would you characterize his relationship with the work that precedes him? Use examples from the text to explain.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Bataille's writing style to comment on his literary personality and temperament.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)