Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was "Acephale" published?
2. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
3. Where did Bataille work until 1942?
4. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
5. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the paradox at the heart of "Materialism".
2. What is Bataille's interpretation of Veblen's theory of conspicuous consumption?
3. How would you characterize Bataille's thoughts on society and economy?
4. What is Bataille's relationship with Hegel?
5. What does contemporary society offer men in "The Sacred Conspiracy", and what does man demand for himself?
6. How does the notion of parody apply to the sun in "The Solar Anus"?
7. Describe Bataille's religion in childhood.
8. What does Bataille see as the value of Christianity of in "The Notion of Expenditure"?
9. What is the importance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
10. What is fascism's relationship with homo- and heterogeneity?
Research Andre Breton's personality and his effect on surrealism, and assess the value of the proposition that Bataille was better off with Breton as an enemy than he would have been with him as a friend.
Describe Bataille's political stance. What parties did he support in his day? What parties or policies would he likely support today?
Describe Bataille's opposition to dialectics. Is he consistent with his own anti-dialectic stance in his writing? Identify the places where Bataille's writing is most successful in opposing dialectics.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)