Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was "Acephale" published?
2. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
3. Where did Bataille work until 1942?
4. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
5. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the paradox at the heart of "Materialism".
2. What is Bataille's interpretation of Veblen's theory of conspicuous consumption?
3. How would you characterize Bataille's thoughts on society and economy?
4. What is Bataille's relationship with Hegel?
5. What does contemporary society offer men in "The Sacred Conspiracy", and what does man demand for himself?
6. How does the notion of parody apply to the sun in "The Solar Anus"?
7. Describe Bataille's religion in childhood.
8. What does Bataille see as the value of Christianity of in "The Notion of Expenditure"?
9. What is the importance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
10. What is fascism's relationship with homo- and heterogeneity?
In what ways is Bataille a sacrificial victim? Analyze his essays where sacrifices appear, in addition to the essays where he talks about his role as an author, and describe him as either the sacrificing priest or the sacrificial victim himself.
Assess the value of Andre Breton's claim that Bataille was an 'excremental philosopher'. Is this a fair characterization of Bataille's work, or is Breton missing the point?
Research Andre Breton's personality and his effect on surrealism, and assess the value of the proposition that Bataille was better off with Breton as an enemy than he would have been with him as a friend.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)