|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was "Acephale" published?
2. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
3. Where did Bataille work until 1942?
4. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
5. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the paradox at the heart of "Materialism".
2. What is Bataille's interpretation of Veblen's theory of conspicuous consumption?
3. How would you characterize Bataille's thoughts on society and economy?
4. What is Bataille's relationship with Hegel?
5. What does contemporary society offer men in "The Sacred Conspiracy", and what does man demand for himself?
6. How does the notion of parody apply to the sun in "The Solar Anus"?
7. Describe Bataille's religion in childhood.
8. What does Bataille see as the value of Christianity of in "The Notion of Expenditure"?
9. What is the importance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
10. What is fascism's relationship with homo- and heterogeneity?
Essay Topic 1
Bataille valued revolutionary concepts from Marx and Hegel, but when the National Socialists came to power in Germany, he organized the Popular Front to oppose it. Characterize Bataille's desire for revolution, in art, in culture, and in European politics.
Essay Topic 2
What exactly is it that Bataille wants people to see about reality and human experience? Describe the value of pornographic or chaotic or revolutionary things in Bataille's work.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the importance of Nietzsche's ideas and writing in Bataille's work--what did Bataille say by referring to Nietzsche's work?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)