Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was "Acephale" published?
2. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
3. Where did Bataille work until 1942?
4. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
5. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the paradox at the heart of "Materialism".
2. What is Bataille's interpretation of Veblen's theory of conspicuous consumption?
3. How would you characterize Bataille's thoughts on society and economy?
4. What is Bataille's relationship with Hegel?
5. What does contemporary society offer men in "The Sacred Conspiracy", and what does man demand for himself?
6. How does the notion of parody apply to the sun in "The Solar Anus"?
7. Describe Bataille's religion in childhood.
8. What does Bataille see as the value of Christianity of in "The Notion of Expenditure"?
9. What is the importance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
10. What is fascism's relationship with homo- and heterogeneity?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Bataille's writing style to comment on his literary personality and temperament.
Essay Topic 2
Bataille uses the thoughts of Thorstein Veblen in "The Notion of Expenditure", but he is not merely following Veblen. What use does Bataille put Veblen's thoughts to, and how does Veblen's idea of conspicuous consumption fit into Bataille's overall value scheme?
Essay Topic 3
Which does Bataille consider more horrifying, freaks, or violence to eyeballs? Describe what Bataille sees as horrific about these concepts and experiences.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)