|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Mussolini's relationship with Nietzsche?
(a) He did not cite his influence on fascism.
(b) He named him as one of his inspirations.
(c) He refuted his arguments.
(d) He claimed him as an ancestor.
2. What does Bataille say pyramids ensure?
(a) Eternal life.
(b) Limitless sky on earth.
(c) The eternally egalitarian nature of death.
(d) Glory for the monarchs inside them.
3. What does Bataille say the theory of conspicuous consumption is used for?
(a) Melting different cultures together in America.
(b) Keeping the poor weak.
(c) Preserving segregation between rich and poor.
(d) Giving the poor opportunities.
4. What does Bataille say scientists said about the dialectic?
(a) It was a matter of faith.
(b) It was the one true science.
(c) It was incompatible with science.
(d) It was demonstrated in evolution.
5. What does Bataille say democracy is based on?
(a) A weak opposition.
(b) Free elections.
(c) Free speech.
(d) Open debate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say Nietzsche questions?
2. What was Nietzsche's life dominated by, in Bataille's account?
3. What does Bataille describe in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
4. What approaches to Hegel's philosophy did Nicolai Hartmann compare?
5. What did fascism use Nietzsche's writing to oppose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bataille's notion of potlatch.
2. How does Andre Masson create the tone of the drawings in the book for which Bataille wrote a preface?
3. What pattern for self-discovery does Bataille offer in "The Sacred"?
4. What aspect of Nietzsche's philosophy did the Fascists appropriate, in Bataille's account in "Nietzsche and the Fascists"?
5. What is fascism's relationship with homo- and heterogeneity?
6. What is the essence of Bataille's essay "The Practice of Joy before Death"?
7. How do Fascists define God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
8. What will cause the death and resurrection of God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
9. When does Bataille date the origin of the Popular Front to?
10. How does Alfred Rosenberg clarify the issue of Nietzsche's relationship with the Fascists?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)