|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does fascism originate?
(a) Among the rich who are threatened by an outside group.
(b) Among the poor who have nothing to establish power.
(c) Among the middle classes who want to control the proletariat.
(d) Among the workers who seize control of the means of production.
2. What is classical utility theory inadequate to define, in Bataille's opinion?
(a) The value of religious belief.
(b) What is aesthetically valuable.
(c) The value of tranquility.
(d) What is useful to man.
3. Why is classical utility theory inadequate, in Bataille's opinion?
(a) Utility theory disregards values like honor and virtue.
(b) Utility theory mystifies economics with talk of revolution.
(c) Utility theory is not compatible with the Marxist imperative of class revolution.
(d) Utility theory relies on principles like honor and duty.
4. What does Bataille say is the only religion for fascists?
5. What tone did Andre Masson establish in his drawings?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bataille and Andre Masson dream about as Bataille was writing "The Labyrinth"?
2. What does Bataille say the world offers modern man to love?
3. What type of men's 'being' does Bataille compare in "The Labyrinth"?
4. How did Bataille relate to Andre Masson's drawings?
5. What are the two forms of heterogeneity Bataille introduces in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bataille reconcile the opposition between self and world in "Sacrifices"?
2. Summarize Nicolai Hartmann's interpretation of Hegel.
3. Briefly describe the theory of conspicuous consumption.
4. What does Bataille see as the value of Christianity of in "The Notion of Expenditure"?
5. What is the importance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
6. What does Bataille say is the only true liberating act, in "Propositions"?
7. Describe Bataille's notion of potlatch.
8. What is Bataille's theme in "The Labyrinth"?
9. How do Fascists define God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
10. What will cause the death and resurrection of God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)