|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Bataille say can never touch the reality of earth?
(c) Those who exploit the earth for profit.
(d) Those who do not understand it.
2. What does homogeneity depend on?
(a) Continual revolution.
(b) A productive system.
(c) Owners keeping the workers down.
(d) Workers owning the means of production.
3. What did Engels work for eight years to develop, but ultimately disavow?
(a) A dialectics of religion.
(b) A dialectics of nature.
(c) A dialectics of mathematics.
(d) A dialectics of manufacturing.
4. What does Bataille describe as the only truly liberating act?
(c) Revolutionary destruction.
5. What did professor Hartmann dispute about the treatment of the Marx/Hegel dialectic?
(a) He objects that it is not grounded in political science.
(b) He objects that it is only applicable in certain cases.
(c) He objects that it is based on pseudo-science.
(d) He objects that it is not a law of reality.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does fascism originate?
2. What does Bataille say profit leads to, in "The Labyrinth"?
3. When does an obelisk cease to be meaningful?
4. What did Hegel claim about nature?
5. What was Nietzsche's relationship with fascism, in Bataille's account?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bataille describe the individual in "The College of Sociology"?
2. What does contemporary society offer men in "The Sacred Conspiracy", and what does man demand for himself?
3. How does Bataille reconcile the opposition between self and world in "Sacrifices"?
4. How does the artist give meaning in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?
5. What is the importance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
6. How does Alfred Rosenberg clarify the issue of Nietzsche's relationship with the Fascists?
7. How did Nietzsche respond to the decay of his culture, according to Bataille's essay "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
8. When does Bataille date the origin of the Popular Front to?
9. What does Bataille say is the only true liberating act, in "Propositions"?
10. What is Bataille's interpretation of Veblen's theory of conspicuous consumption?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)