|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille say scientists said about the dialectic?
(a) It was the one true science.
(b) It was incompatible with science.
(c) It was a matter of faith.
(d) It was demonstrated in evolution.
2. What aspect of the Marx/Hegel dialectic did professor Hartmann test?
(b) Diagnostic accuracy.
(c) Descriptive accuracy.
3. What are the two classes Bataille divides consumption into?
(a) Productive consumption and wasteful consumption.
(b) Sacrificial consumption and gift consumption.
(c) Conservation of life and productive activity.
(d) Conspicuous consumption and invisible consumption.
4. What tone did Andre Masson establish in his drawings?
5. What does Bataille say would result from a difference of events in his experience?
(a) He would be an other.
(b) He would have to confront his true self.
(c) He would reveal his alter-ego.
(d) He would be at war with himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say profit leads to, in "The Labyrinth"?
2. Where did Engels look for examples to test the dialectic method of Marx and Hegel?
3. What was Nietzsche's relationship with fascism, in Bataille's account?
4. What does Bataille say about a man who knows his neighbors?
5. What did Engels work for eight years to develop, but ultimately disavow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspect of Nietzsche's philosophy did the Fascists appropriate, in Bataille's account in "Nietzsche and the Fascists"?
2. What do Masson's drawing symbolize for Bataille?
3. Describe Bataille's notion of potlatch.
4. What is the importance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
5. What is Bataille's interpretation of Veblen's theory of conspicuous consumption?
6. How do Fascists define God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
7. How did Nietzsche respond to the decay of his culture, according to Bataille's essay "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
8. Judging by "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic" and his other essays, what does Bataille see as the value of dialectics?
9. When does Bataille date the origin of the Popular Front to?
10. What flaw does Bataille identify in dialectic philosophy in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)