|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille say money measures, in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
2. What are the two classes Bataille divides consumption into?
(a) Sacrificial consumption and gift consumption.
(b) Conservation of life and productive activity.
(c) Conspicuous consumption and invisible consumption.
(d) Productive consumption and wasteful consumption.
3. What did Hegel claim about nature?
(a) That it contained the world-spirit.
(b) That it was unreasonable.
(c) That it was the human soul externalized.
(d) That it was motivated by the Oversoul.
4. What does Bataille describe in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
(a) How Marx's dialectic method was misinterpreted.
(b) How Hegel's dialectic method inspired revolutions.
(c) How Marx's dialectic method was critiqued.
(d) How Marx's dialectic method was developed.
5. With whose picture does Bataille say Nietzsche's picture was paired?
(b) Lou Andreas-Salomé's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What creatures' 'being' does Bataille compare in "The Labyrinth"?
2. What kinds of expenditure does artistic production require?
3. Under what conditions can a state be democratic, in Bataille's opinion?
4. What does Bataille say about the knife whose handle and blade are changed indefinitely?
5. What results from acting in specialized areas, in Bataille's opinion in "The Labyrinth"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does contemporary society offer men in "The Sacred Conspiracy", and what does man demand for himself?
2. How did Nietzsche respond to the decay of his culture, according to Bataille's essay "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
3. How does Bataille reconcile the opposition between self and world in "Sacrifices"?
4. What does Bataille see as the value of Christianity of in "The Notion of Expenditure"?
5. What is the importance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
6. What is Bataille's theme in "The Labyrinth"?
7. What is the essence of Bataille's essay "The Practice of Joy before Death"?
8. What pattern for self-discovery does Bataille offer in "The Sacred"?
9. When does Bataille date the origin of the Popular Front to?
10. Describe Bataille's notion of potlatch.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)