|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille say is the only religion for fascists?
2. What does Bataille's 'me in the void' realize in "Sacrifices"?
(a) That he has dominion over everything.
(b) That he might cease to exist.
(c) That he doesn't exist.
(d) That he might have to create himself.
3. What does Bataille say the world offers modern man to love?
(a) The progress of capitalism to communism.
(b) God and religion.
(c) A society to be assumed.
(d) Nothing beyond self-interest.
4. How did fascists see Nietzsche?
(a) As a primary ancestor.
(b) As a traitor.
(c) As a martyr.
(d) As a prosecutor.
5. When does being become undefined, according to Bataille?
(a) When it is projected on an unworthy object.
(b) When it is discovered in another.
(c) When it is projected beyond itself.
(d) When it is drawn from imagination.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say dominates history in "Popular Front in the Street"?
2. What does Bataille say poor people cannot stop rich people from doing?
3. What does Bataille describe in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
4. What did professor Hartmann dispute about the treatment of the Marx/Hegel dialectic?
5. Whom does Bataille say can never touch the reality of earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Judging by "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic" and his other essays, what does Bataille see as the value of dialectics?
2. What does Bataille see as the value of Christianity of in "The Notion of Expenditure"?
3. What do Masson's drawing symbolize for Bataille?
4. How does Bataille reconcile the opposition between self and world in "Sacrifices"?
5. How does Bataille describe the individual in "The College of Sociology"?
6. How does the artist give meaning in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?
7. What is Bataille's interpretation of Veblen's theory of conspicuous consumption?
8. What is the difference between homogeneous and heterogeneous culture as Bataille defines them in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
9. What aspect of Nietzsche's philosophy did the Fascists appropriate, in Bataille's account in "Nietzsche and the Fascists"?
10. How did Nietzsche respond to the decay of his culture, according to Bataille's essay "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)