|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the audience for "The Practice of Joy before Death"?
(a) The Catholic Church.
(b) Those who are ill.
(c) Those who believe in no beyond.
(d) Those who believe in man's innate divinity.
2. What was the essay "Sacrifices" used as?
(a) A review.
(b) A personal essay.
(c) A criticism.
(d) As a preface.
3. What was the purpose of the Popular Front, in Bataille's account?
(a) To oppose Hitler.
(b) To oppose fascism in France.
(c) To overthrow the Vichy government.
(d) To oppose immigrants in France.
4. What did Bataille intend to define "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
(a) Dialectic aesthetics.
(b) Dialectic limits.
(c) Dialectic politics.
(d) Dialectic philosophy.
5. What does Bataille say man demanded of the earth?
(b) Necessity above the universe.
(c) Productivity on the earth.
(d) Consolation below the earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say is the only religion for fascists?
2. With whose picture does Bataille say Nietzsche's picture was paired?
3. What does the homogeneous part of society purchase?
4. What does Bataille say is the only virtue for fascists?
5. What did Engels work for eight years to develop, but ultimately disavow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What pattern for self-discovery does Bataille offer in "The Sacred"?
2. Judging by "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic" and his other essays, what does Bataille see as the value of dialectics?
3. What is Bataille's theme in "The Labyrinth"?
4. What aspect of Nietzsche's philosophy did the Fascists appropriate, in Bataille's account in "Nietzsche and the Fascists"?
5. Describe Bataille's notion of potlatch.
6. How did Nietzsche respond to the decay of his culture, according to Bataille's essay "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
7. What is Bataille's interpretation of Veblen's theory of conspicuous consumption?
8. What does contemporary society offer men in "The Sacred Conspiracy", and what does man demand for himself?
9. How do Fascists define God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
10. What is the essence of Bataille's essay "The Practice of Joy before Death"?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)