|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Nietzsche's life dominated by, in Bataille's account?
(a) Aggression toward the social world.
(b) Stifled affection for a woman.
(c) Puzzles in which he could see the nature of society.
(d) Obsession with a lost world.
2. What does Bataille say Nietzschean pride comes from?
(a) The desire for personal power but not for social power.
(b) The power of language and the chaos of experience.
(c) The need for individuality in times when individuality is impossible.
(d) Life's disintegration and the will to power.
3. How did Engels and Hartmann differ on the tenets of Hegel's "Philosophy of Nature"?
(a) Engels was indifferent to them, but Hartmann did not believe them.
(b) Engels did not believe them, but Hartmann did.
(c) Engels believed them, but Hartmann was indifferent.
(d) Engels believed them, but Hartmann did not.
4. What does Bataille describe as a symptom of cultural crisis?
(a) Administrative impudence.
(b) Outrageous profits.
(c) Technological incompetence.
(d) Bureaucratic regulation.
5. Under what conditions can a state be democratic, in Bataille's opinion?
(a) When homogeneity happens spontaneously.
(b) When homogeneity can be broken up peacefully.
(c) When heterogeneity can be controlled with force.
(d) When heterogeneity happens spontaneously.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the purpose of the Popular Front, in Bataille's account?
2. What does Bataille say about meaning in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?
3. What does Bataille say pyramids ensure?
4. What results from acting in specialized areas, in Bataille's opinion in "The Labyrinth"?
5. What does Bataille say is the contradiction in Christians worshiping God?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Nietzsche respond to the decay of his culture, according to Bataille's essay "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
2. What flaw does Bataille identify in dialectic philosophy in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
3. What does Bataille see as the value of Christianity of in "The Notion of Expenditure"?
4. What do Masson's drawing symbolize for Bataille?
5. How does Andre Masson create the tone of the drawings in the book for which Bataille wrote a preface?
6. What is Bataille's theme in "The Labyrinth"?
7. What is fascism's relationship with homo- and heterogeneity?
8. Summarize Nicolai Hartmann's interpretation of Hegel.
9. How does Bataille portray Engels' interpretation of Hegel's philosophy in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
10. When does Bataille date the origin of the Popular Front to?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)