|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What circumstances must be in place for the science function to be served, in Bataille's account in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?
(a) It must serve someone's sense of power.
(b) Science must be the only goal.
(c) Religion must be referred to in its sense of its goals.
(d) Profit must be part of the goal.
2. What was Bataille summing up in his "Propositions"?
(a) His thoughts on the death of God.
(b) His thoughts on sex and perversity in modern life.
(c) His thoughts on modern culture.
(d) His thoughts on Nietzschean metaphysics.
3. Who developed the theory of conspicuous consumption?
(a) Max Weber.
(b) Karl Marx.
(c) John Dewey.
(d) Thorstein Veblen.
4. What does Bataille say is analogous to the maternal breast?
5. What does Bataille describe as the result of individuals asking critical questions, in "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
(a) The emergence of civilization.
(b) Religious persecution.
(c) The development of high society.
(d) Decomposition of civilization.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the question of 'what exists compared to what appears' resolved, in "Sacrifices"?
2. What did fascism use Nietzsche's writing to oppose?
3. What does Bataille define as a way to humiliate, defy, or obligate a poorer person as a show of destruction of wealth?
4. What movement does Bataille say in "The Sacred" was heir to Vincent Van Gogh and Rimbaud?
5. Why is classical utility theory inadequate, in Bataille's opinion?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Bataille date the origin of the Popular Front to?
2. What does contemporary society offer men in "The Sacred Conspiracy", and what does man demand for himself?
3. Summarize Nicolai Hartmann's interpretation of Hegel.
4. How does Bataille portray Engels' interpretation of Hegel's philosophy in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
5. What is the essence of Bataille's essay "The Practice of Joy before Death"?
6. What is the importance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
7. Briefly describe the theory of conspicuous consumption.
8. What pattern for self-discovery does Bataille offer in "The Sacred"?
9. How does Bataille reconcile the opposition between self and world in "Sacrifices"?
10. What does Bataille say is the only true liberating act, in "Propositions"?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)