|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who developed the theory of conspicuous consumption?
(a) Thorstein Veblen.
(b) Karl Marx.
(c) Max Weber.
(d) John Dewey.
2. What is the significance of the image of the labyrinth in the "The Labyrinth"?
(a) It is a metaphor for being.
(b) It represents the deadly stakes in self-knowledge.
(c) It is a symbol of man's inner state.
(d) It is a metaphor for social existence.
3. What was Nietzsche's relationship with fascism, in Bataille's account?
(a) He claimed to be a prophet of a culture of power.
(b) He was active in opposition to it.
(c) He was active in support of it.
(d) He was opposed to political parties.
4. What claim does Bataille make in "The Obelisk"?
(a) That nationalism is never carved in stone.
(b) That the past always has to be imported from elsewhere.
(c) That there is no mystery in the world of spirit.
(d) That fascism is centered on the monuments it builds to itself.
5. How did Bataille relate to Andre Masson's drawings?
(a) He saw himself as the sick man.
(b) He saw himself as the entire cosmos.
(c) He saw himself as the self in flight.
(d) He saw himself as the lines and the paper themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bataille intend to define "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
2. What does Bataille use as evidence of his position on dialectics?
3. What tone did Andre Masson establish in his drawings?
4. With whose picture does Bataille say Nietzsche's picture was paired?
5. What does the cross demand, at the end of "Sacrifices"?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)