|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kinds of expenditure does artistic production require?
(a) Patron or market expenditure.
(b) Religious or secular expenditure.
(c) Public or patron expenditure.
(d) Real or symbolic expenditure.
2. Who developed the theory of conspicuous consumption?
(a) Max Weber.
(b) Karl Marx.
(c) John Dewey.
(d) Thorstein Veblen.
3. What was Nietzsche's life dominated by, in Bataille's account?
(a) Stifled affection for a woman.
(b) Obsession with a lost world.
(c) Puzzles in which he could see the nature of society.
(d) Aggression toward the social world.
4. What does Bataille say the world offers modern man to love?
(a) A society to be assumed.
(b) Nothing beyond self-interest.
(c) God and religion.
(d) The progress of capitalism to communism.
5. With whose picture does Bataille say Nietzsche's picture was paired?
(b) Lou Andreas-Salomé's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille describe as a symptom of cultural crisis?
2. How is the question of 'what exists compared to what appears' resolved, in "Sacrifices"?
3. What are the two forms of heterogeneity Bataille introduces in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
4. What does Bataille say Nietzschean pride comes from?
5. Where did Engels look for examples to test the dialectic method of Marx and Hegel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Andre Masson create the tone of the drawings in the book for which Bataille wrote a preface?
2. How does Alfred Rosenberg clarify the issue of Nietzsche's relationship with the Fascists?
3. What will cause the death and resurrection of God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
4. What is fascism's relationship with homo- and heterogeneity?
5. What pattern for self-discovery does Bataille offer in "The Sacred"?
6. Judging by "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic" and his other essays, what does Bataille see as the value of dialectics?
7. What is Bataille's theme in "The Labyrinth"?
8. How does Bataille describe the individual in "The College of Sociology"?
9. When does Bataille date the origin of the Popular Front to?
10. What is Bataille's interpretation of Veblen's theory of conspicuous consumption?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)