|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille say dominates history in "Popular Front in the Street"?
2. What does Bataille say pyramids ensure?
(a) The eternally egalitarian nature of death.
(b) Limitless sky on earth.
(c) Eternal life.
(d) Glory for the monarchs inside them.
3. What claim does Bataille make in "The Obelisk"?
(a) That the past always has to be imported from elsewhere.
(b) That there is no mystery in the world of spirit.
(c) That fascism is centered on the monuments it builds to itself.
(d) That nationalism is never carved in stone.
4. How did fascists see Nietzsche?
(a) As a primary ancestor.
(b) As a martyr.
(c) As a traitor.
(d) As a prosecutor.
5. What results from acting in specialized areas, in Bataille's opinion in "The Labyrinth"?
(a) Man conquers the universe in its details.
(b) Man becomes a specialist.
(c) Man is impoverished.
(d) Man loses his innocence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille define as a way to humiliate, defy, or obligate a poorer person as a show of destruction of wealth?
2. What does Bataille describe as a symptom of cultural crisis?
3. What are the two forms of heterogeneity Bataille introduces in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
4. What approaches to Hegel's philosophy did Nicolai Hartmann compare?
5. What does Bataille say is the contradiction in Christians worshiping God?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between homogeneous and heterogeneous culture as Bataille defines them in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
2. Judging by "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic" and his other essays, what does Bataille see as the value of dialectics?
3. How does Andre Masson create the tone of the drawings in the book for which Bataille wrote a preface?
4. What is the essence of Bataille's essay "The Practice of Joy before Death"?
5. How does the artist give meaning in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?
6. What does Bataille see as the value of Christianity of in "The Notion of Expenditure"?
7. What does contemporary society offer men in "The Sacred Conspiracy", and what does man demand for himself?
8. What do Masson's drawing symbolize for Bataille?
9. How does Alfred Rosenberg clarify the issue of Nietzsche's relationship with the Fascists?
10. Describe Bataille's notion of potlatch.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)