|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what does Bataille say Alfred Baumler distilled a doctrine of the people's will to power?
(a) Nietzschean metaphor.
(b) Nietzschean religion.
(c) Nietzschean contradiction.
(d) Nietzschean politics.
2. What was the essay "Sacrifices" used as?
(a) A criticism.
(b) A review.
(c) A personal essay.
(d) As a preface.
3. What does Bataille say Nietzsche questions?
(a) How an ideal can be discovered in the past.
(b) How a people's spirit can be expressed.
(c) How an ideology can be invented.
(d) How a people's technology can be fulfilled.
4. What did fascism use Nietzsche's writing to oppose?
(a) The current political system.
(b) The policies of Daladier.
(c) The view of the past being taught in German schools.
5. What does Bataille say would result from a difference of events in his experience?
(a) He would be at war with himself.
(b) He would have to confront his true self.
(c) He would reveal his alter-ego.
(d) He would be an other.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Andre Masson establish the tone of his book of drawings?
2. What did Engels work for eight years to develop, but ultimately disavow?
3. How did Bataille relate to Andre Masson's drawings?
4. How did Engels and Hartmann differ on the tenets of Hegel's "Philosophy of Nature"?
5. What does Baumler call revolution?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bataille describe the individual in "The College of Sociology"?
2. How did Nietzsche respond to the decay of his culture, according to Bataille's essay "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
3. How does Bataille reconcile the opposition between self and world in "Sacrifices"?
4. How does the artist give meaning in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?
5. What do Masson's drawing symbolize for Bataille?
6. What is the importance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
7. What does Bataille see as the value of Christianity of in "The Notion of Expenditure"?
8. What flaw does Bataille identify in dialectic philosophy in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
9. What does contemporary society offer men in "The Sacred Conspiracy", and what does man demand for himself?
10. What is Bataille's theme in "The Labyrinth"?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)