|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille say Nietzschean pride comes from?
(a) The desire for personal power but not for social power.
(b) The power of language and the chaos of experience.
(c) Life's disintegration and the will to power.
(d) The need for individuality in times when individuality is impossible.
2. What tone did Andre Masson establish in his drawings?
3. What did Bataille and Andre Masson dream about as Bataille was writing "The Labyrinth"?
(a) A dream they were setting to music.
(b) A dream they were expressing in drawings.
(c) An obscene dream they could never publish.
(d) A dream they could not own.
4. From what does Bataille say Alfred Baumler distilled a doctrine of the people's will to power?
(a) Nietzschean politics.
(b) Nietzschean contradiction.
(c) Nietzschean metaphor.
(d) Nietzschean religion.
5. What does Bataille say Nietzsche questions?
(a) How a people's technology can be fulfilled.
(b) How a people's spirit can be expressed.
(c) How an ideal can be discovered in the past.
(d) How an ideology can be invented.
Short Answer Questions
1. What claim does Bataille make in "The Obelisk"?
2. What does homogeneity depend on?
3. Who is the audience for "The Practice of Joy before Death"?
4. Who developed the theory of conspicuous consumption?
5. Which of the following is one of the directions recomposition of society can take?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bataille portray Engels' interpretation of Hegel's philosophy in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
2. How does Alfred Rosenberg clarify the issue of Nietzsche's relationship with the Fascists?
3. How does the artist give meaning in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?
4. What is Bataille's interpretation of Veblen's theory of conspicuous consumption?
5. What do Masson's drawing symbolize for Bataille?
6. What does contemporary society offer men in "The Sacred Conspiracy", and what does man demand for himself?
7. How did Nietzsche respond to the decay of his culture, according to Bataille's essay "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
8. What is the essence of Bataille's essay "The Practice of Joy before Death"?
9. Summarize Nicolai Hartmann's interpretation of Hegel.
10. What is the difference between homogeneous and heterogeneous culture as Bataille defines them in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)