|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Bataille say can never touch the reality of earth?
(a) Those who exploit the earth for profit.
(b) Those who do not understand it.
2. Under what conditions can a state be democratic, in Bataille's opinion?
(a) When heterogeneity can be controlled with force.
(b) When homogeneity can be broken up peacefully.
(c) When homogeneity happens spontaneously.
(d) When heterogeneity happens spontaneously.
3. What creatures' 'being' does Bataille compare in "The Labyrinth"?
(a) Man and dog.
(b) Snake and sponge.
(c) Bird and dog.
(d) Dog and sponge.
4. What tone did Andre Masson establish in his drawings?
5. What does Bataille describe as the result of individuals asking critical questions, in "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
(a) The development of high society.
(b) Decomposition of civilization.
(c) The emergence of civilization.
(d) Religious persecution.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the 'me' free to accept individuality and transcendence, in Bataille's opinion in "Sacrifices"?
2. What did Hegel claim about nature?
3. What are the two forms of heterogeneity Bataille introduces in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
4. What does Bataille say is analogous to the maternal breast?
5. What does homogeneity depend on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is fascism's relationship with homo- and heterogeneity?
2. What flaw does Bataille identify in dialectic philosophy in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
3. What does Bataille see as the value of Christianity of in "The Notion of Expenditure"?
4. What pattern for self-discovery does Bataille offer in "The Sacred"?
5. What does Bataille say is the only true liberating act, in "Propositions"?
6. Judging by "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic" and his other essays, what does Bataille see as the value of dialectics?
7. What is Bataille's theme in "The Labyrinth"?
8. How does a man find himself in "The Labyrinth"?
9. How does Bataille describe the individual in "The College of Sociology"?
10. When does Bataille date the origin of the Popular Front to?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)