|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Andre Masson establish the tone of his book of drawings?
(a) With a drawing of a syphilis cell.
(b) With a drawing of God parting the clouds in judgment.
(c) With a drawing of an acephalic man.
(d) With a drawing of a prostitute.
2. Who is the audience for "The Practice of Joy before Death"?
(a) Those who believe in man's innate divinity.
(b) The Catholic Church.
(c) Those who are ill.
(d) Those who believe in no beyond.
3. What circumstances must be in place for the science function to be served, in Bataille's account in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?
(a) Religion must be referred to in its sense of its goals.
(b) Science must be the only goal.
(c) It must serve someone's sense of power.
(d) Profit must be part of the goal.
4. What does Bataille describe as the result of individuals asking critical questions, in "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
(a) Religious persecution.
(b) Decomposition of civilization.
(c) The development of high society.
(d) The emergence of civilization.
5. What does Bataille say about meaning in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?
(a) Things can only have meaning if there is a consensus about them.
(b) Things cannot have meaning unless they are historical realities.
(c) Things can only have meaning if they motivate actions.
(d) Things can only have meaning when they are fictitious.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille's 'me in the void' realize in "Sacrifices"?
2. What happens when political action leads to nothing, in "The Sacred Conspiracy"?
3. What does Bataille say money measures, in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
4. What does Bataille say pyramids ensure?
5. What are the two forms of heterogeneity Bataille introduces in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the essence of Bataille's essay "The Practice of Joy before Death"?
2. What will cause the death and resurrection of God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
3. What does contemporary society offer men in "The Sacred Conspiracy", and what does man demand for himself?
4. Briefly describe the theory of conspicuous consumption.
5. Judging by "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic" and his other essays, what does Bataille see as the value of dialectics?
6. How does a man find himself in "The Labyrinth"?
7. How did Nietzsche respond to the decay of his culture, according to Bataille's essay "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
8. How does the artist give meaning in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?
9. How does Bataille reconcile the opposition between self and world in "Sacrifices"?
10. What aspect of Nietzsche's philosophy did the Fascists appropriate, in Bataille's account in "Nietzsche and the Fascists"?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)