|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does fascism originate?
(a) Among the middle classes who want to control the proletariat.
(b) Among the poor who have nothing to establish power.
(c) Among the rich who are threatened by an outside group.
(d) Among the workers who seize control of the means of production.
2. What does Bataille say scientists said about the dialectic?
(a) It was the one true science.
(b) It was incompatible with science.
(c) It was demonstrated in evolution.
(d) It was a matter of faith.
3. What does Bataille use as evidence of his position on dialectics?
(a) It underestimates the value of aesthetics.
(b) It cannot explain the growth from child to adult.
(c) It is a law made by interested people trying to hide their interests.
(d) It does not account for avarice in the proletariat.
4. What does Bataille say Nietzsche questions?
(a) How an ideal can be discovered in the past.
(b) How an ideology can be invented.
(c) How a people's technology can be fulfilled.
(d) How a people's spirit can be expressed.
5. Under whom does fascism unite society, in Bataille's account?
(a) A leader who represents the aristocratic self.
(b) A leader who identifies with the state.
(c) A leader who identifies with the individual everyman.
(d) A leader who represents the lower common denominator of society.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does bourgeois society enslave and degrade poor men, in Bataille's opinion?
2. What was the purpose of the Popular Front, in Bataille's account?
3. What approaches to Hegel's philosophy did Nicolai Hartmann compare?
4. What does Bataille say is analogous to the maternal breast?
5. What was Nietzsche's life dominated by, in Bataille's account?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)