|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the homogeneous part of society purchase?
2. Under whom does fascism unite society, in Bataille's account?
(a) A leader who identifies with the individual everyman.
(b) A leader who represents the aristocratic self.
(c) A leader who identifies with the state.
(d) A leader who represents the lower common denominator of society.
3. How did fascists see Nietzsche?
(a) As a martyr.
(b) As a prosecutor.
(c) As a traitor.
(d) As a primary ancestor.
4. When does an obelisk cease to be meaningful?
(a) When the military leader who erected it dies.
(b) When the political party that built it is voted out.
(c) As soon as the authority it symbolizes becomes conscious.
(d) When the people have more important needs.
5. What does Bataille say poor people cannot stop rich people from doing?
(a) Eluding prosecution for crimes.
(b) Buying influence.
(c) Wasting resources.
(d) Helping the poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
2. What does Bataille say man demanded of the earth?
3. What value does money articulate for workers?
4. Where did Engels look for examples to test the dialectic method of Marx and Hegel?
5. How did Engels and Hartmann differ on the tenets of Hegel's "Philosophy of Nature"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bataille say is the only true liberating act, in "Propositions"?
2. Briefly describe the theory of conspicuous consumption.
3. What is the difference between homogeneous and heterogeneous culture as Bataille defines them in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
4. What is fascism's relationship with homo- and heterogeneity?
5. How does Alfred Rosenberg clarify the issue of Nietzsche's relationship with the Fascists?
6. What do Masson's drawing symbolize for Bataille?
7. What flaw does Bataille identify in dialectic philosophy in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
8. How does Andre Masson create the tone of the drawings in the book for which Bataille wrote a preface?
9. How did Nietzsche respond to the decay of his culture, according to Bataille's essay "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
10. When does Bataille date the origin of the Popular Front to?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)