|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interrupts the road in "[Dream]"?
(a) Construction workers.
(d) Rats and vermin.
2. Whom did the Popular Front join with?
(a) Democrats and Socialist Democrats.
(b) Fascists and totalitarians.
(c) Communists and Socialists.
(d) Bureaucrats and Communists.
3. What did Breton call Bataille?
(a) A prophet.
(b) A incremental writing whore.
(c) An excremental philosopher.
(d) A dubious genius.
4. In whose hands does Bataille describe conspicuous consumption as a tool?
(a) The poor.
(b) The intelligentsia.
(c) The rich.
(d) The middle class.
5. How did Leiris portray Bataille to Breton?
(a) As a pornographer.
(b) As a prophet.
(c) As obsessed.
(d) As a genius.
Short Answer Questions
1. What principles does Bataille say men associate with the feet in "The Big Toe"?
2. How does dialectic operate in "Notion of Expenditure"?
3. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
4. How does Bataille describe his father?
5. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bataille's experience with psychoanalysis.
2. How would you characterize Bataille's thoughts on society and economy?
3. What were Bataille's early publications?
4. How does the notion of parody apply to the sun in "The Solar Anus"?
5. How does Bataille describe his role in "The Jesuve"?
6. Describe the importance of myth in Bataille's writing and thinking.
7. What was Bataille's involvement with "Acephale"?
8. Describe Bataille's religion in childhood.
9. Describe the paradox at the heart of "Materialism".
10. Explain the title of the essay "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade".
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)