|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
(a) Six months.
(b) Nine months.
(c) Two years.
(d) Fifteen months.
2. What claim does Bataille discuss in "The Deviations of Nature"?
(a) That nothing is more horrifying that carnival freaks.
(b) That nothing is more horrifying than rats at carnivals.
(c) That nothing is more horrifying than snakes.
(d) That nothing is more horrifying than man.
3. Where did Bataille work until 1942?
(a) Bibliotheque Nationale in Paris.
(b) El Prado in Spain.
(c) The National Gallery in London.
(d) Ecole des Beaux Artes.
4. What was the "Acephale" group's primary purpose?
(a) To recreate the myth of God.
(b) To come into contact with God in men.
(c) To annihilate the idea of God.
(d) To kill God.
5. Who contributed to "Documents"?
(b) Rebel surrealists.
(c) Literary critics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
2. What does Bataille say the eye causes?
3. How would you describe the images Bataille presents?
4. When did Bataille deny his faith?
5. What does Bataille say coitus is associated with, in "The Solar Anus"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Bataille's early publications?
2. What is the value of Gnosticism in "Base Materialism and Gnosticism"
3. What does Bataille say about 'freaks' in "The Deviations of Nature"?
4. How does self-mutilation in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh" relate to Bataille's description of body parts in other essays.
5. Describe Bataille's involvement with the Popular Front.
6. What does Bataille say about surrealism in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
7. Describe Bataille's experience with psychoanalysis.
8. Describe Bataille's religion in childhood.
9. What is the value of intellectual violence in Bataille's work?
10. What was Bataille's objection to Nietzsche?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)