|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
(a) Trying to bite.
(b) Eating garbage.
(c) Eating each other.
2. What writer coined the term conspicuous consumption?
3. What did Bataille say about his book "W.C."?
(a) It was going to destroy the world.
(b) It was execrable and shouldn't be published.
(c) It was opposed to all dignity.
(d) It was a prophecy.
4. In whose hands does Bataille describe conspicuous consumption as a tool?
(a) The poor.
(b) The intelligentsia.
(c) The middle class.
(d) The rich.
5. Why was it a mistake for Bataille to use his intellectual violence on Breton?
(a) Breton's friends excommunicated Bataille from the surrealist circles.
(b) Breton might have promoted it.
(c) Breton ruined Bataille in revenge.
(d) Bataille lost friends over the gratuitous attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bataille describe producing and selling in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
2. When did Bataille publish "W.C."?
3. What is the first stage of revolution, in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
4. Why did Bataille attack Nietzsche?
5. When was George Bataille born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bataille describe his role in "The Jesuve"?
2. What claim did Bataille make in "The Lugubrious Game"?
3. What was Bataille's involvement with "Acephale"?
4. How does the mouth in "Mouth" compare with the eyeball in ''The Eye'?
5. What does Bataille say about surrealism in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
6. How does self-mutilation in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh" relate to Bataille's description of body parts in other essays.
7. How was Bataille's first book received?
8. Explain the title of the essay "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade".
9. What distinguished the big toe in "The Big Toe"?
10. What examples does Bataille cite to illustrate the horror of the eye's vulnerability?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)