|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How should materialism be disclaimed, in "Materialism"?
(a) By excluding all idealism.
(b) By including all idealism.
(c) By replacing idealism with matter.
(d) By superseding idealism with dialogue.
2. When did Bataille deny his faith?
3. Whom does Bataille contrast to the sovereign in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
(a) The ignoble workers.
(b) The Jews.
(c) The middle class merchant.
(d) The aristocrats.
4. What writer coined the term conspicuous consumption?
5. What does Bataille say was the driving force beneath his heterodox theory?
(a) Homoerotic terror.
(b) Obsession with excrement.
(c) Oedipal terror.
(d) Obsession with priests.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do flowers witness, in "The Language of Flowers"?
2. How long does Bataille ride his bicycle for in "[Dream]"?
3. What was Bataille afraid of as a child?
4. What feeling does Bataille exaggerate in "The Lugubrious Game"?
5. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is expressed in the language of flowers in "The Language of Flowers"?
2. How does self-mutilation in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh" relate to Bataille's description of body parts in other essays.
3. Describe the importance of the 'cephalus' in Bataille's thinking.
4. What is Bataille's relationship with Hegel?
5. How does the mouth in "Mouth" compare with the eyeball in ''The Eye'?
6. What does Bataille say about 'freaks' in "The Deviations of Nature"?
7. How does Bataille describe his role in "The Jesuve"?
8. What is the value of intellectual violence in Bataille's work?
9. What are the terrifying images in "[Dream]"?
10. How was Bataille's first book received?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)