|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bataille describe his memory of his father pulling down his pants in "[Dream]"?
(b) Humiliating and painful.
(d) Terrible and magnificent.
2. What was Bataille afraid of as a child?
(a) The Rain.
3. What claim does Bataille discuss in "The Deviations of Nature"?
(a) That nothing is more horrifying that carnival freaks.
(b) That nothing is more horrifying than snakes.
(c) That nothing is more horrifying than man.
(d) That nothing is more horrifying than rats at carnivals.
4. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
(a) Affirming the position of the rich.
(b) Destroying the foundation of wealth.
(c) Devaluing the trappings of wealth.
(d) Attacking the inequalities in the economy.
5. Who introduced Bataille to surrealism?
(a) Marcel Duchamp.
(b) Joan Miro.
(c) Andre Breton.
(d) Michael Leiris.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Bataille deny his faith?
2. Why was it a mistake for Bataille to use his intellectual violence on Breton?
3. What are flowers not matched by, in "The Language of Flowers"?
4. In what piece of writing did Bataille record his childhood?
5. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bataille's relationship with Hegel?
2. How would you characterize Bataille's thoughts on society and economy?
3. What was Bataille's involvement with "Acephale"?
4. Describe Bataille's experience with psychoanalysis.
5. How does the mouth in "Mouth" compare with the eyeball in ''The Eye'?
6. What does Bataille say about 'freaks' in "The Deviations of Nature"?
7. What were Bataille's early publications?
8. Describe Bataille's birth and family origins.
9. Describe the importance of the 'cephalus' in Bataille's thinking.
10. What does Bataille say about surrealism in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)