|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who introduced Bataille to surrealism?
(a) Joan Miro.
(b) Andre Breton.
(c) Michael Leiris.
(d) Marcel Duchamp.
2. How does Bataille describe the Mithraic cult ritual of the sun in "Rotten Sun"?
(a) A priest spatters a bull's blood on worshipers underneath.
(b) A priest stares into the sun to have a vision.
(c) A worshiper puts out a priest's eye.
(d) A priest cuts a victim's throat on an altar.
3. How long does Bataille ride his bicycle for in "[Dream]"?
(a) Until darkness descends.
(b) Until he finds his father.
(c) Until he falls.
(d) Until he wakes up.
4. Whom did Bataille join with to form the Popular Front?
5. How did Leiris portray Bataille to Breton?
(a) As a prophet.
(b) As a genius.
(c) As a pornographer.
(d) As obsessed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say was the driving force beneath his heterodox theory?
2. What principles does Bataille say men associate with the feet in "The Big Toe"?
3. What is the first stage of revolution, in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
4. Where did Bataille work until 1942?
5. What strategy does Surrealism use for presenting images?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the title of the essay "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade".
2. How does the mouth in "Mouth" compare with the eyeball in ''The Eye'?
3. What are the terrifying images in "[Dream]"?
4. What is the value of intellectual violence in Bataille's work?
5. What distinguished the big toe in "The Big Toe"?
6. How does the notion of parody apply to the sun in "The Solar Anus"?
7. What was Bataille's involvement with "Acephale"?
8. Describe Bataille's religion in childhood.
9. How was Bataille's first book received?
10. What experience does Bataille elevate in "Rotten Sun"?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)