Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was "Acephale" published?
(a) 1933 to 1937.
(b) 1942 to 1946.
(c) 1931 to 1944.
(d) 1936 to 1939.
2. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
3. Where did Bataille work until 1942?
(a) Ecole des Beaux Artes.
(b) The National Gallery in London.
(c) Bibliotheque Nationale in Paris.
(d) El Prado in Spain.
4. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) As symbols for the experience and association of natural forms.
(b) As metaphors for other natural forms.
(c) As primitive forms of the things themselves.
(d) As symbols of sacred abstraction.
5. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
(a) Anarchistic literature.
(b) Surrealist writing.
(c) Bataille's writing.
(d) Fascist rants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who contributed to "Documents"?
2. How does Bataille describe his work?
3. When did George Bataille die?
4. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
5. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the paradox at the heart of "Materialism".
2. What is Bataille's interpretation of Veblen's theory of conspicuous consumption?
3. How would you characterize Bataille's thoughts on society and economy?
4. What is Bataille's relationship with Hegel?
5. What does contemporary society offer men in "The Sacred Conspiracy", and what does man demand for himself?
6. How does the notion of parody apply to the sun in "The Solar Anus"?
7. Describe Bataille's religion in childhood.
8. What does Bataille see as the value of Christianity of in "The Notion of Expenditure"?
9. What is the importance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
10. What is fascism's relationship with homo- and heterogeneity?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)