|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the other self-mutilator (besides Van Gogh) do in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh"?
(a) Put out his eye.
(b) Cut off his hand.
(c) Bite off his finger.
(d) Drink his own blood.
2. What characterizes man in "The Eye"?
(a) Horror of eyes and insects.
(b) Desire for violence and violation.
(c) Longing for purity.
(d) Longing for sacrilege.
3. When did Bataille deny his faith?
4. When was "Acephale" published?
(a) 1936 to 1939.
(b) 1931 to 1944.
(c) 1942 to 1946.
(d) 1933 to 1937.
5. What is the benefit Bataille sees to having more than one meaning in his work?
(a) It gives a clearer statement of his thought.
(b) It demonstrates the impossibility of truth.
(c) It keeps all Bataille's options open.
(d) It keeps the reader uncomfortable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bataille write while he was working?
2. How did Bataille rebel against his father?
3. Why did Bataille leave his job in 1942?
4. What does Bataille say the eye causes?
5. Where does Bataille recall riding his bicycle in Reims, in "[Dream]"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the paradox at the heart of "Materialism".
2. What are the terrifying images in "[Dream]"?
3. What is expressed in the language of flowers in "The Language of Flowers"?
4. What were Bataille's early publications?
5. What distinguished the big toe in "The Big Toe"?
6. Explain the title of the essay "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade".
7. Describe the importance of myth in Bataille's writing and thinking.
8. How was Bataille's first book received?
9. What is Bataille's relationship with Hegel?
10. How does self-mutilation in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh" relate to Bataille's description of body parts in other essays.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)