|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bataille describe the Mithraic cult ritual of the sun in "Rotten Sun"?
(a) A priest stares into the sun to have a vision.
(b) A worshiper puts out a priest's eye.
(c) A priest spatters a bull's blood on worshipers underneath.
(d) A priest cuts a victim's throat on an altar.
2. What writer coined the term conspicuous consumption?
3. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
(a) Six months.
(b) Fifteen months.
(c) Nine months.
(d) Two years.
4. What effect do flowers have on love, in "The Language of Flowers"?
5. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) As primitive forms of the things themselves.
(b) As symbols for the experience and association of natural forms.
(c) As metaphors for other natural forms.
(d) As symbols of sacred abstraction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relationship do the writings in Section II have to the writings in Section I?
2. What was Bataille afraid of as a child?
3. What description fits with the "Acephale" group?
4. What characterizes man in "The Eye"?
5. How does Bataille describe his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bataille say about 'freaks' in "The Deviations of Nature"?
2. Describe the importance of the 'cephalus' in Bataille's thinking.
3. How does a man find himself in "The Labyrinth"?
4. How does the mouth in "Mouth" compare with the eyeball in ''The Eye'?
5. Describe the importance of myth in Bataille's writing and thinking.
6. How does Bataille reconcile the opposition between self and world in "Sacrifices"?
7. What was Bataille's involvement with "Acephale"?
8. How does the artist give meaning in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?
9. Describe Bataille's experience with psychoanalysis.
10. What claim did Bataille make in "The Lugubrious Game"?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)