|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille remember his father spanking him with in "[Dream]"?
(a) A stick.
(b) A belt.
(c) A bloody toad.
(d) A whip.
2. What form does Bataille take after being a boy in "[Dream]"?
(a) An American gentleman.
(b) A butcher.
(c) A girl.
(d) A priest.
3. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
(a) Sex play with eyeballs.
(b) A brown smudge.
(c) Anal fixation.
4. What film does Bataille cite in "The Eye"?
(a) L'Age d'Or.
(b) Andalusian Dog.
(c) The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.
(d) That Obscure Object of Desire.
5. How does dialectic operate in "Notion of Expenditure"?
(a) It results from revolution.
(b) It animates class struggle.
(c) It pacifies the proletariat.
(d) It prevents revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. What description fits with the "Acephale" group?
2. When did Bataille and his mother abandon his father?
3. What do volcanoes serve as, in "The Solar Anus"?
4. When did George Bataille die?
5. Why was it a mistake for Bataille to use his intellectual violence on Breton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of essay is "Formless"?
2. What are the terrifying images in "[Dream]"?
3. How would you characterize Bataille's thoughts on society and economy?
4. Explain the title of the essay "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade".
5. How does the mouth in "Mouth" compare with the eyeball in ''The Eye'?
6. What is the value of intellectual violence in Bataille's work?
7. Describe Bataille's schooling.
8. What examples does Bataille cite to illustrate the horror of the eye's vulnerability?
9. Describe the importance of myth in Bataille's writing and thinking.
10. What does Bataille say about 'freaks' in "The Deviations of Nature"?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)