|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were Bataille's feelings for Breton?
2. What does Bataille remember his father spanking him with in "[Dream]"?
(a) A stick.
(b) A bloody toad.
(c) A belt.
(d) A whip.
3. How does Bataille describe producing and selling in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
(a) As primitive phases.
(b) As excretory phases.
(c) As consumptive phases.
(d) As revolutionary phases.
4. Why was Bataille annoyed while riding his bicycle?
(a) The house was too small for his turns.
(b) The pavement was broken up by streetcar tracks.
(c) The schoolyard was fenced in.
(d) The sand was slushy with high tide.
5. Why did Bataille leave his job in 1942?
(a) He was ill.
(b) He was fired.
(c) He fled the Germans.
(d) He died.
Short Answer Questions
1. What description fits with the "Acephale" group?
2. What was the "Acephale" group's primary purpose?
3. How does Bataille describe his memory of his father pulling down his pants in "[Dream]"?
4. Where does Bataille recall riding his bicycle in Reims, in "[Dream]"?
5. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspect of Nietzsche's philosophy did the Fascists appropriate, in Bataille's account in "Nietzsche and the Fascists"?
2. What will cause the death and resurrection of God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
3. Describe Bataille's birth and family origins.
4. Summarize Nicolai Hartmann's interpretation of Hegel.
5. When does Bataille date the origin of the Popular Front to?
6. How was Bataille's first book received?
7. What is Bataille's relationship with Hegel?
8. What was Bataille's relationship with Andrea Breton?
9. What claim did Bataille make in "The Lugubrious Game"?
10. Describe Bataille's involvement with the Popular Front.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)