|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What description fits with the "Acephale" group?
(a) Political underground.
(b) Literature brotherhood.
(c) Community organizers.
(d) Secret society.
2. What flower is Marquis de Sade plucking petals off, at the end of "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) A lily.
(b) A daisy.
(c) A carnation.
(d) A rose.
3. For what field did Bataille go to school?
(a) Renaissance art critic.
(c) Medieval librarian.
4. What effect do flowers have on love, in "The Language of Flowers"?
5. When did Bataille and his mother abandon his father?
(a) When the father went insane.
(b) When the Germans arrived in 1915.
(c) When the mother took a job in Paris.
(d) When the father was imprisoned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bataille write while he was working?
2. What was the "Acephale" group's primary purpose?
3. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
4. How does Bataille describe the mandrake root?
5. Who arranged Bataille's psychoanalytic cure?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the notion of parody apply to the sun in "The Solar Anus"?
2. Describe Bataille's experience with psychoanalysis.
3. Explain the title of the essay "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade".
4. What is the value of intellectual violence in Bataille's work?
5. What experience does Bataille elevate in "Rotten Sun"?
6. How does Bataille describe his role in "The Jesuve"?
7. Describe Bataille's birth and family origins.
8. What distinguished the big toe in "The Big Toe"?
9. What examples does Bataille cite to illustrate the horror of the eye's vulnerability?
10. What was Bataille's relationship with Andrea Breton?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)