|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Bataille recall riding his bicycle in Reims, in "[Dream]"?
(a) On the beach.
(b) Through the streets.
(c) In the schoolyard.
(d) In his house.
2. When did George Bataille die?
3. How should materialism be disclaimed, in "Materialism"?
(a) By superseding idealism with dialogue.
(b) By replacing idealism with matter.
(c) By excluding all idealism.
(d) By including all idealism.
4. What did Breton call Bataille?
(a) A dubious genius.
(b) A prophet.
(c) A incremental writing whore.
(d) An excremental philosopher.
5. What was Breton's response to Bataille?
(a) He lamented the absence of any real philosophy at the core of Bataille's writing.
(b) He condemned his pathological reasoning to the unreasonable.
(c) He refuted Bataille's arguments.
(d) He praised the shocking images that would disturb the bourgeoisie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
2. What description fits with the "Acephale" group?
3. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
4. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
5. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Bataille's first book received?
2. What is fascism's relationship with homo- and heterogeneity?
3. What will cause the death and resurrection of God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
4. What flaw does Bataille identify in dialectic philosophy in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
5. How does Andre Masson create the tone of the drawings in the book for which Bataille wrote a preface?
6. Describe Bataille's experience with psychoanalysis.
7. What is Bataille's relationship with Hegel?
8. How does Bataille describe his role in "The Jesuve"?
9. How do Fascists define God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
10. Briefly describe the theory of conspicuous consumption.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)