|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bataille describe producing and selling in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
(a) As excretory phases.
(b) As revolutionary phases.
(c) As consumptive phases.
(d) As primitive phases.
2. How does Bataille describe the mandrake root?
3. What relationship do the writings in Section II have to the writings in Section I?
(a) They were logical extensions.
(b) They were unrelated.
(c) They were unprecedented.
(d) They were implicit in them.
4. What flower is Marquis de Sade plucking petals off, at the end of "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) A carnation.
(b) A daisy.
(c) A lily.
(d) A rose.
5. When did George Bataille die?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
2. Why did Bataille attack Nietzsche?
3. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
4. What did Bataille say about his book "W.C."?
5. How does Bataille describe his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the paradox at the heart of "Materialism".
2. Describe Bataille's schooling.
3. What is Bataille's relationship with Hegel?
4. How does the mouth in "Mouth" compare with the eyeball in ''The Eye'?
5. How does self-mutilation in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh" relate to Bataille's description of body parts in other essays.
6. How would you characterize Bataille's thoughts on society and economy?
7. What does Bataille say about 'freaks' in "The Deviations of Nature"?
8. Describe Bataille's experience with psychoanalysis.
9. What is the value of intellectual violence in Bataille's work?
10. What claim did Bataille make in "The Lugubrious Game"?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)