|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was George Bataille born?
2. What principles does Bataille say men associate with height in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Good and light.
(b) Trustworthiness and leadership.
(c) Power and danger.
(d) Strength and authority.
3. What is the benefit Bataille sees to having more than one meaning in his work?
(a) It keeps all Bataille's options open.
(b) It keeps the reader uncomfortable.
(c) It demonstrates the impossibility of truth.
(d) It gives a clearer statement of his thought.
4. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
(a) Nine months.
(b) Fifteen months.
(c) Two years.
(d) Six months.
5. What characterizes man in "The Eye"?
(a) Longing for purity.
(b) Horror of eyes and insects.
(c) Desire for violence and violation.
(d) Longing for sacrilege.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Breton's response to Bataille?
2. What does the other self-mutilator (besides Van Gogh) do in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh"?
3. When did Bataille publish "W.C."?
4. Why did Bataille attack Nietzsche?
5. What is the first stage of revolution, in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the terrifying images in "[Dream]"?
2. Explain the title of the essay "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade".
3. Describe Bataille's involvement with the Popular Front.
4. How does the notion of parody apply to the sun in "The Solar Anus"?
5. What was Bataille's relationship with Andrea Breton?
6. Describe the importance of myth in Bataille's writing and thinking.
7. Describe the importance of the 'cephalus' in Bataille's thinking.
8. What were Bataille's early publications?
9. How does the mouth in "Mouth" compare with the eyeball in ''The Eye'?
10. What does Bataille say about surrealism in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)