|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille feel about the rats in "[Dream]"?
(a) They must be fed to snakes.
(b) The must be cleared out.
(c) They must be cleaned.
(d) They must be killed.
2. What critique does Bataille make in "The Critique of the Foundations of Hegelian Dialectic"?
(a) He demonstrated why dialectical materialism is inevitable.
(b) He frees dialectical negation from Engels' mechanical abstraction.
(c) He mocks Marx and Engels for their idealism.
(d) He criticizes the Oversoul as a childish fantasy.
3. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
(a) An eye of conscience.
(b) An eye of longing.
(c) An eye of judgment.
(d) An eye of surveillance.
4. When did Bataille form the Popular Front?
5. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
(a) Anarchistic literature.
(b) Bataille's writing.
(c) Fascist rants.
(d) Surrealist writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Bataille refer to as untouchables in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
2. What does the title of "The Solar Anus" refer to?
3. How did Bataille rebel against his father?
4. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
5. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does self-mutilation in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh" relate to Bataille's description of body parts in other essays.
2. Explain the title of the essay "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade".
3. Describe the importance of myth in Bataille's writing and thinking.
4. What type of essay is "Formless"?
5. How would you characterize Bataille's thoughts on society and economy?
6. Describe Bataille's experience with psychoanalysis.
7. Describe Bataille's involvement with the Popular Front.
8. How does Bataille describe his role in "The Jesuve"?
9. What was Bataille's objection to Nietzsche?
10. What distinguished the big toe in "The Big Toe"?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)