|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does "The Language of Flowers" end?
(a) With a girl being sent away to school.
(b) With students strangling a young woman.
(c) With Count Leopold von Sacher-Masoch putting out a priest's eye.
(d) With Sade tossing flower petals into a ditch of manure.
2. What does Bataille say his father looked like in "[Dream]"?
(a) A house.
(b) A toad.
(c) A vulture.
(d) A star.
3. What writer coined the term conspicuous consumption?
4. What principles does Bataille say men associate with the feet in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Evil and dark.
(b) Subversion and power.
(c) Labor and evil.
(d) Powerlessness and subservience.
5. How does Bataille describe the mandrake root?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
2. How should materialism be disclaimed, in "Materialism"?
3. What does Bataille claim the world is in "The Solar Anus"?
4. What strategy does Surrealism use for presenting images?
5. Where did Bataille work until 1942?
Short Essay Questions
1. What distinguished the big toe in "The Big Toe"?
2. Explain the title of the essay "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade".
3. Describe Bataille's experience with psychoanalysis.
4. How does Bataille describe his role in "The Jesuve"?
5. Describe the change in Bataille's early work to his more mature work and values.
6. What was Bataille's objection to Nietzsche?
7. What experience does Bataille elevate in "Rotten Sun"?
8. How was Bataille's first book received?
9. Describe the importance of myth in Bataille's writing and thinking.
10. What are the terrifying images in "[Dream]"?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)