|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does surrealism rebel at first, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) With subtle disorientation of meaning.
(b) Without the lower classes.
(c) With all the proletarians.
(d) With all-out deformation of images.
2. Who contributed to "Documents"?
(a) Rebel surrealists.
(c) Literary critics.
3. What does Bataille remember his father spanking him with in "[Dream]"?
(a) A whip.
(b) A belt.
(c) A stick.
(d) A bloody toad.
4. When was George Bataille born?
5. What does standing upright do for man in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Hides his anus.
(b) Distorts his vision with unnatural ideas.
(c) Raises his head to the heavens.
(d) Lets him see things clearer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relationship do the writings in Section II have to the writings in Section I?
2. What does the mole stand for in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
3. When was "Acephale" published?
4. What did Bataille say about his book "W.C."?
5. What was Bataille being punished for in "[Dream]"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the mouth in "Mouth" compare with the eyeball in ''The Eye'?
2. Describe Bataille's involvement with the Popular Front.
3. What was Bataille's objection to Nietzsche?
4. Describe the importance of the 'cephalus' in Bataille's thinking.
5. How was Bataille's first book received?
6. Explain the title of the essay "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade".
7. What is the value of Gnosticism in "Base Materialism and Gnosticism"
8. What examples does Bataille cite to illustrate the horror of the eye's vulnerability?
9. What are the terrifying images in "[Dream]"?
10. How does Bataille describe his role in "The Jesuve"?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)