|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Bataille being punished for in "[Dream]"?
(a) Seeing his parents naked.
(b) Playing with a hoop.
(c) Wetting himself.
(d) Staying up too late.
2. How long does Bataille ride his bicycle for in "[Dream]"?
(a) Until he wakes up.
(b) Until he falls.
(c) Until he finds his father.
(d) Until darkness descends.
3. Where does Bataille recall riding his bicycle in Reims, in "[Dream]"?
(a) In his house.
(b) On the beach.
(c) In the schoolyard.
(d) Through the streets.
4. Who arranged Bataille's psychoanalytic cure?
(a) Dr. Rank.
(b) Dr. Jung.
(c) Dr. Adler.
(d) Dr. Dausse.
5. How does dialectic operate in "Notion of Expenditure"?
(a) It pacifies the proletariat.
(b) It prevents revolution.
(c) It results from revolution.
(d) It animates class struggle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say was the driving force beneath his heterodox theory?
2. In whose hands does Bataille describe conspicuous consumption as a tool?
3. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
4. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
5. How do the rats appear in "[Dream]"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the notion of parody apply to the sun in "The Solar Anus"?
2. How would you characterize Bataille's thoughts on society and economy?
3. What experience does Bataille elevate in "Rotten Sun"?
4. Describe Bataille's schooling.
5. What was Bataille's relationship with Andrea Breton?
6. What claim did Bataille make in "The Lugubrious Game"?
7. How does Bataille describe his role in "The Jesuve"?
8. What was Bataille's objection to Nietzsche?
9. Explain the title of the essay "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade".
10. What are the terrifying images in "[Dream]"?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)