|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille remember his father spanking him with in "[Dream]"?
(a) A stick.
(b) A whip.
(c) A bloody toad.
(d) A belt.
2. Why did Bataille attack Nietzsche?
(a) For admiring Emerson.
(b) For going insane.
(c) For failing to embrace the decomposition of culture.
(d) For megalomania and failure of ideas.
3. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
4. When did Bataille deny his faith?
5. What film does Bataille cite in "The Eye"?
(a) The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.
(b) Andalusian Dog.
(c) That Obscure Object of Desire.
(d) L'Age d'Or.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was "Acephale" published?
2. When was George Bataille born?
3. Whom does Bataille contrast to the sovereign in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
4. Whom did the Popular Front join with?
5. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Bataille's involvement with "Acephale"?
2. What is the value of Gnosticism in "Base Materialism and Gnosticism"
3. How was Bataille's first book received?
4. What does Bataille say about 'freaks' in "The Deviations of Nature"?
5. Describe the importance of the 'cephalus' in Bataille's thinking.
6. What is expressed in the language of flowers in "The Language of Flowers"?
7. Describe Bataille's experience with psychoanalysis.
8. What claim did Bataille make in "The Lugubrious Game"?
9. Explain the title of the essay "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade".
10. How does the notion of parody apply to the sun in "The Solar Anus"?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)