|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What flower is Marquis de Sade plucking petals off, at the end of "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) A lily.
(b) A daisy.
(c) A rose.
(d) A carnation.
2. What does Bataille say coitus is associated with, in "The Solar Anus"?
3. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
4. Whom does Bataille contrast to the sovereign in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
(a) The middle class merchant.
(b) The ignoble workers.
(c) The aristocrats.
(d) The Jews.
5. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
(a) A brown smudge.
(c) Sex play with eyeballs.
(d) Anal fixation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Bataille rebel against his father?
2. When did Bataille form the Popular Front?
3. What does standing upright do for man in "The Big Toe"?
4. Whom did the Popular Front join with?
5. What does Bataille say the eye causes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you characterize Bataille's thoughts on society and economy?
2. What type of essay is "Formless"?
3. What examples does Bataille cite to illustrate the horror of the eye's vulnerability?
4. What is the value of intellectual violence in Bataille's work?
5. What was Bataille's involvement with "Acephale"?
6. What experience does Bataille elevate in "Rotten Sun"?
7. What claim did Bataille make in "The Lugubrious Game"?
8. Describe Bataille's schooling.
9. Describe Bataille's involvement with the Popular Front.
10. How does self-mutilation in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh" relate to Bataille's description of body parts in other essays.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)