|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille say about monsters in "The Deviations of Nature"?
(a) That they are the best place to gain insight into people's feelings about themselves.
(b) That they represent the opposite of geometric regularity of form.
(c) That they are projections out of the ugliest part of humanity.
(d) That they are necessary to keep people in line.
2. What interrupts the road in "[Dream]"?
(b) Construction workers.
(c) Rats and vermin.
3. What did Bataille write while he was working?
(a) A medieval romance.
(b) Book reviews.
(c) Articles on philosophy.
(d) Art criticism.
4. How does Bataille describe the Mithraic cult ritual of the sun in "Rotten Sun"?
(a) A priest spatters a bull's blood on worshipers underneath.
(b) A priest cuts a victim's throat on an altar.
(c) A worshiper puts out a priest's eye.
(d) A priest stares into the sun to have a vision.
5. Where did "[Dream]" originate?
(a) In Bataille's marriage.
(b) In Bataille's imagination.
(c) In Bataille's childhood obsession with eyes.
(d) In Bataille's psychoanalysis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
2. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
3. What two stances did Bataille combine?
4. Whom did the Popular Front join with?
5. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bataille say about 'freaks' in "The Deviations of Nature"?
2. What is the importance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
3. How was Bataille's first book received?
4. What will cause the death and resurrection of God, in Bataille's account in "Propositions"?
5. What is Bataille's interpretation of Veblen's theory of conspicuous consumption?
6. What does contemporary society offer men in "The Sacred Conspiracy", and what does man demand for himself?
7. What aspect of Nietzsche's philosophy did the Fascists appropriate, in Bataille's account in "Nietzsche and the Fascists"?
8. When does Bataille date the origin of the Popular Front to?
9. What is Bataille's theme in "The Labyrinth"?
10. What were Bataille's early publications?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)