|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the rats appear in "[Dream]"?
(a) Crawling in ditches.
(b) Hanging by their tails.
(c) Scratching in the walls.
(d) Swimming in the bilge.
2. What relationship do the writings in Section II have to the writings in Section I?
(a) They were unrelated.
(b) They were implicit in them.
(c) They were unprecedented.
(d) They were logical extensions.
3. What strategy does Surrealism use for presenting images?
(a) Images are piled on, one after another.
(b) Opposite images are contrasted.
(c) Layers of each image are stripped away until the essential truth is apparent.
(d) The images are distorted beyond recognition.
4. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) A surplus of idealism.
(b) A form of world-weariness.
(c) A reaction against childhood idealism.
(d) A childhood sickness of materialism.
5. What was the subject of Bataille's first pamphlet?
(a) Praise of his mother.
(b) Criticism of his religion.
(c) Criticism of his father.
(d) Praise of Cathedral Notre Dame des Reims.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was it a mistake for Bataille to use his intellectual violence on Breton?
2. What is the benefit Bataille sees to having more than one meaning in his work?
3. How does Bataille describe his father?
4. When did Bataille form the Popular Front?
5. In whose hands does Bataille describe conspicuous consumption as a tool?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Bataille's relationship with Andrea Breton?
2. What claim did Bataille make in "The Lugubrious Game"?
3. What was Bataille's involvement with "Acephale"?
4. What is the value of intellectual violence in Bataille's work?
5. How was Bataille's first book received?
6. Describe the paradox at the heart of "Materialism".
7. What does Bataille say about 'freaks' in "The Deviations of Nature"?
8. What type of essay is "Formless"?
9. Describe the importance of the 'cephalus' in Bataille's thinking.
10. How would you characterize Bataille's thoughts on society and economy?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)