|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were Bataille's feelings for Breton?
2. How did Leiris portray Bataille to Breton?
(a) As a prophet.
(b) As a genius.
(c) As a pornographer.
(d) As obsessed.
3. Who arranged Bataille's psychoanalytic cure?
(a) Dr. Adler.
(b) Dr. Rank.
(c) Dr. Jung.
(d) Dr. Dausse.
4. When did Bataille deny his faith?
5. How do the rats appear in "[Dream]"?
(a) Scratching in the walls.
(b) Hanging by their tails.
(c) Swimming in the bilge.
(d) Crawling in ditches.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
2. What was Breton's response to Bataille?
3. How does Bataille describe his father?
4. Why was Bataille annoyed while riding his bicycle?
5. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Bataille's involvement with "Acephale"?
2. How does self-mutilation in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh" relate to Bataille's description of body parts in other essays.
3. Describe Bataille's involvement with the Popular Front.
4. How does the mouth in "Mouth" compare with the eyeball in ''The Eye'?
5. How does Bataille describe his role in "The Jesuve"?
6. Describe Bataille's birth and family origins.
7. Describe the paradox at the heart of "Materialism".
8. What was Bataille's relationship with Andrea Breton?
9. Describe the importance of myth in Bataille's writing and thinking.
10. What is Bataille's relationship with Hegel?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)