|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille say dominates history in "Popular Front in the Street"?
2. What is the significance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
(a) It represents captured glory.
(b) It organizes space by looming over it.
(c) It represents the ruling party.
(d) It stands for the sovereign.
3. What does Bataille describe as the only truly liberating act?
(d) Revolutionary destruction.
4. What kinds of expenditure does artistic production require?
(a) Public or patron expenditure.
(b) Religious or secular expenditure.
(c) Patron or market expenditure.
(d) Real or symbolic expenditure.
5. What did Engels work for eight years to develop, but ultimately disavow?
(a) A dialectics of religion.
(b) A dialectics of mathematics.
(c) A dialectics of nature.
(d) A dialectics of manufacturing.
6. What does Bataille say the world offers modern man to love?
(a) God and religion.
(b) The progress of capitalism to communism.
(c) Nothing beyond self-interest.
(d) A society to be assumed.
7. How do men express their 'being', in "The Labyrinth"?
(a) By rebelling against themselves constantly.
(b) By struggling for unreachable satisfactions.
(c) By accepting the duality of their nature.
(d) By attaining their goals.
8. What does Bataille say Nietzsche questions?
(a) How a people's technology can be fulfilled.
(b) How an ideal can be discovered in the past.
(c) How a people's spirit can be expressed.
(d) How an ideology can be invented.
9. Whom does Bataille say can never touch the reality of earth?
(c) Those who exploit the earth for profit.
(d) Those who do not understand it.
10. Under what conditions can a state be democratic, in Bataille's opinion?
(a) When heterogeneity can be controlled with force.
(b) When homogeneity can be broken up peacefully.
(c) When heterogeneity happens spontaneously.
(d) When homogeneity happens spontaneously.
11. What value does money articulate for workers?
(a) The value of their ideas.
(b) The value of their status.
(c) The value of their personal worth.
(d) The value of what they produce.
12. Who is Elisabeth Judas-Forster?
(a) Nietzsche's sister.
(b) Andre Masson's lover.
(c) A critic of Bataille's.
(d) Bataille's girlfriend.
13. What does Bataille say scientists said about the dialectic?
(a) It was demonstrated in evolution.
(b) It was a matter of faith.
(c) It was the one true science.
(d) It was incompatible with science.
14. What aspect of the Marx/Hegel dialectic did professor Hartmann test?
(b) Descriptive accuracy.
(c) Diagnostic accuracy.
15. How does bourgeois society enslave and degrade poor men, in Bataille's opinion?
(a) By keeping them poor.
(b) By preventing them getting medical attention.
(c) By showering them with goods.
(d) By forcing them to compete with machines.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who developed the theory of conspicuous consumption?
2. Where did Engels look for examples to test the dialectic method of Marx and Hegel?
3. What creatures' 'being' does Bataille compare in "The Labyrinth"?
4. What does Bataille say about a man who knows his neighbors?
5. When does being become undefined, according to Bataille?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)