|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two classes Bataille divides consumption into?
(a) Conservation of life and productive activity.
(b) Conspicuous consumption and invisible consumption.
(c) Productive consumption and wasteful consumption.
(d) Sacrificial consumption and gift consumption.
2. What does Bataille describe as a symptom of cultural crisis?
(a) Outrageous profits.
(b) Technological incompetence.
(c) Administrative impudence.
(d) Bureaucratic regulation.
3. Where did Engels look for examples to test the dialectic method of Marx and Hegel?
(a) Lived experience.
4. What does Bataille say is the only virtue for fascists?
5. What was Mussolini's relationship with Nietzsche?
(a) He claimed him as an ancestor.
(b) He named him as one of his inspirations.
(c) He did not cite his influence on fascism.
(d) He refuted his arguments.
6. What was the purpose of the Popular Front, in Bataille's account?
(a) To oppose Hitler.
(b) To oppose fascism in France.
(c) To overthrow the Vichy government.
(d) To oppose immigrants in France.
7. Where does fascism originate?
(a) Among the rich who are threatened by an outside group.
(b) Among the middle classes who want to control the proletariat.
(c) Among the workers who seize control of the means of production.
(d) Among the poor who have nothing to establish power.
8. How did fascists see Nietzsche?
(a) As a prosecutor.
(b) As a primary ancestor.
(c) As a martyr.
(d) As a traitor.
9. What was Nietzsche's life dominated by, in Bataille's account?
(a) Obsession with a lost world.
(b) Puzzles in which he could see the nature of society.
(c) Aggression toward the social world.
(d) Stifled affection for a woman.
10. Whom does Bataille say can never touch the reality of earth?
(a) Those who exploit the earth for profit.
(d) Those who do not understand it.
11. What did Bataille intend to define "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
(a) Dialectic philosophy.
(b) Dialectic aesthetics.
(c) Dialectic limits.
(d) Dialectic politics.
12. What did professor Hartmann dispute about the treatment of the Marx/Hegel dialectic?
(a) He objects that it is based on pseudo-science.
(b) He objects that it is only applicable in certain cases.
(c) He objects that it is not a law of reality.
(d) He objects that it is not grounded in political science.
13. What feeling does Bataille say grows in response to revolutionaries?
14. What results from acting in specialized areas, in Bataille's opinion in "The Labyrinth"?
(a) Man becomes a specialist.
(b) Man conquers the universe in its details.
(c) Man loses his innocence.
(d) Man is impoverished.
15. What does Bataille say dominates history in "Popular Front in the Street"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the essay "Sacrifices" used as?
2. What does Bataille's 'me in the void' realize in "Sacrifices"?
3. Why is classical utility theory inadequate, in Bataille's opinion?
4. How is the question of 'what exists compared to what appears' resolved, in "Sacrifices"?
5. What does Bataille say profit leads to, in "The Labyrinth"?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)