|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Engels look for examples to test the dialectic method of Marx and Hegel?
(a) Lived experience.
2. What feeling does Bataille say grows in response to revolutionaries?
3. With whose picture does Bataille say Nietzsche's picture was paired?
(b) Lou Andreas-Salomé's.
4. What does Bataille define as a way to humiliate, defy, or obligate a poorer person as a show of destruction of wealth?
(a) Government subsidies.
(b) Public Assistance.
5. What does Bataille say money measures, in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
6. What claim does Bataille make in "The Obelisk"?
(a) That there is no mystery in the world of spirit.
(b) That nationalism is never carved in stone.
(c) That fascism is centered on the monuments it builds to itself.
(d) That the past always has to be imported from elsewhere.
7. What are the two classes Bataille divides consumption into?
(a) Conspicuous consumption and invisible consumption.
(b) Conservation of life and productive activity.
(c) Sacrificial consumption and gift consumption.
(d) Productive consumption and wasteful consumption.
8. What movement does Bataille say in "The Sacred" was heir to Vincent Van Gogh and Rimbaud?
9. What does homogeneity depend on?
(a) Owners keeping the workers down.
(b) Continual revolution.
(c) Workers owning the means of production.
(d) A productive system.
10. How did Bataille relate to Andre Masson's drawings?
(a) He saw himself as the self in flight.
(b) He saw himself as the lines and the paper themselves.
(c) He saw himself as the sick man.
(d) He saw himself as the entire cosmos.
11. Why is classical utility theory inadequate, in Bataille's opinion?
(a) Utility theory relies on principles like honor and duty.
(b) Utility theory is not compatible with the Marxist imperative of class revolution.
(c) Utility theory mystifies economics with talk of revolution.
(d) Utility theory disregards values like honor and virtue.
12. What aspect of the Marx/Hegel dialectic did professor Hartmann test?
(b) Descriptive accuracy.
(c) Diagnostic accuracy.
13. What tone did Andre Masson establish in his drawings?
14. What does Bataille say about the knife whose handle and blade are changed indefinitely?
(a) It partakes of the eternal form of knife-ness.
(b) It is a modern knife, with replaceable parts.
(c) It is a capitalist knife, with its value in its use alone.
(d) It is no longer the same knife.
15. What was Mussolini's relationship with Nietzsche?
(a) He named him as one of his inspirations.
(b) He refuted his arguments.
(c) He claimed him as an ancestor.
(d) He did not cite his influence on fascism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of the image of the labyrinth in the "The Labyrinth"?
2. What results from acting in specialized areas, in Bataille's opinion in "The Labyrinth"?
3. What circumstances must be in place for the science function to be served, in Bataille's account in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?
4. Which of the following does Bataille NOT use as an example of unproductive expenditure without value beyond itself?
5. What does the cross demand, at the end of "Sacrifices"?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)