|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does homogeneity depend on?
(a) Workers owning the means of production.
(b) Owners keeping the workers down.
(c) A productive system.
(d) Continual revolution.
2. How does bourgeois society enslave and degrade poor men, in Bataille's opinion?
(a) By keeping them poor.
(b) By showering them with goods.
(c) By preventing them getting medical attention.
(d) By forcing them to compete with machines.
3. Who is the audience for "The Practice of Joy before Death"?
(a) The Catholic Church.
(b) Those who believe in man's innate divinity.
(c) Those who believe in no beyond.
(d) Those who are ill.
4. What feeling does Bataille say grows in response to revolutionaries?
5. What movement does Bataille say in "The Sacred" was heir to Vincent Van Gogh and Rimbaud?
6. Which of the following is one of the directions recomposition of society can take?
(a) Decomposing bureaucracy.
(b) Liberating myths.
(c) Technological dictatorship.
7. What is classical utility theory inadequate to define, in Bataille's opinion?
(a) The value of tranquility.
(b) The value of religious belief.
(c) What is aesthetically valuable.
(d) What is useful to man.
8. What value does money articulate for workers?
(a) The value of what they produce.
(b) The value of their personal worth.
(c) The value of their status.
(d) The value of their ideas.
9. What did professor Hartmann dispute about the treatment of the Marx/Hegel dialectic?
(a) He objects that it is not grounded in political science.
(b) He objects that it is only applicable in certain cases.
(c) He objects that it is based on pseudo-science.
(d) He objects that it is not a law of reality.
10. From what does Bataille say Alfred Baumler distilled a doctrine of the people's will to power?
(a) Nietzschean religion.
(b) Nietzschean contradiction.
(c) Nietzschean metaphor.
(d) Nietzschean politics.
11. What does Bataille say about meaning in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?
(a) Things can only have meaning if there is a consensus about them.
(b) Things cannot have meaning unless they are historical realities.
(c) Things can only have meaning if they motivate actions.
(d) Things can only have meaning when they are fictitious.
12. When does being become undefined, according to Bataille?
(a) When it is drawn from imagination.
(b) When it is discovered in another.
(c) When it is projected on an unworthy object.
(d) When it is projected beyond itself.
13. What does Bataille describe as a symptom of cultural crisis?
(a) Technological incompetence.
(b) Bureaucratic regulation.
(c) Outrageous profits.
(d) Administrative impudence.
14. Who developed the theory of conspicuous consumption?
(a) John Dewey.
(b) Max Weber.
(c) Thorstein Veblen.
(d) Karl Marx.
15. What does Bataille say Nietzschean pride comes from?
(a) The need for individuality in times when individuality is impossible.
(b) The power of language and the chaos of experience.
(c) The desire for personal power but not for social power.
(d) Life's disintegration and the will to power.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say is analogous to the maternal breast?
2. What kinds of expenditure does artistic production require?
3. What does Bataille describe as the only truly liberating act?
4. How do men express their 'being', in "The Labyrinth"?
5. What does Bataille define as a way to humiliate, defy, or obligate a poorer person as a show of destruction of wealth?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)