|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does fascism originate?
(a) Among the middle classes who want to control the proletariat.
(b) Among the poor who have nothing to establish power.
(c) Among the rich who are threatened by an outside group.
(d) Among the workers who seize control of the means of production.
2. What does Bataille say scientists said about the dialectic?
(a) It was the one true science.
(b) It was incompatible with science.
(c) It was demonstrated in evolution.
(d) It was a matter of faith.
3. What does Bataille use as evidence of his position on dialectics?
(a) It underestimates the value of aesthetics.
(b) It cannot explain the growth from child to adult.
(c) It is a law made by interested people trying to hide their interests.
(d) It does not account for avarice in the proletariat.
4. What does Bataille say Nietzsche questions?
(a) How an ideal can be discovered in the past.
(b) How an ideology can be invented.
(c) How a people's technology can be fulfilled.
(d) How a people's spirit can be expressed.
5. Under whom does fascism unite society, in Bataille's account?
(a) A leader who represents the aristocratic self.
(b) A leader who identifies with the state.
(c) A leader who identifies with the individual everyman.
(d) A leader who represents the lower common denominator of society.
6. How does bourgeois society enslave and degrade poor men, in Bataille's opinion?
(a) By forcing them to compete with machines.
(b) By showering them with goods.
(c) By preventing them getting medical attention.
(d) By keeping them poor.
7. What was the purpose of the Popular Front, in Bataille's account?
(a) To oppose Hitler.
(b) To oppose immigrants in France.
(c) To overthrow the Vichy government.
(d) To oppose fascism in France.
8. What approaches to Hegel's philosophy did Nicolai Hartmann compare?
(a) Verbal and reality-based.
(b) Practical and theoretical.
(c) Historical and philosophical.
(d) Feminist and modernist.
9. What does Bataille say is analogous to the maternal breast?
10. What was Nietzsche's life dominated by, in Bataille's account?
(a) Aggression toward the social world.
(b) Stifled affection for a woman.
(c) Obsession with a lost world.
(d) Puzzles in which he could see the nature of society.
11. What value does money articulate for workers?
(a) The value of their personal worth.
(b) The value of their status.
(c) The value of what they produce.
(d) The value of their ideas.
12. What does Bataille say poor people cannot stop rich people from doing?
(a) Wasting resources.
(b) Helping the poor.
(c) Buying influence.
(d) Eluding prosecution for crimes.
13. How did Engels and Hartmann differ on the tenets of Hegel's "Philosophy of Nature"?
(a) Engels believed them, but Hartmann did not.
(b) Engels was indifferent to them, but Hartmann did not believe them.
(c) Engels did not believe them, but Hartmann did.
(d) Engels believed them, but Hartmann was indifferent.
14. What was Nietzsche's relationship with fascism, in Bataille's account?
(a) He was active in support of it.
(b) He was opposed to political parties.
(c) He claimed to be a prophet of a culture of power.
(d) He was active in opposition to it.
15. What did professor Hartmann dispute about the treatment of the Marx/Hegel dialectic?
(a) He objects that it is not grounded in political science.
(b) He objects that it is not a law of reality.
(c) He objects that it is based on pseudo-science.
(d) He objects that it is only applicable in certain cases.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille describe as the result of individuals asking critical questions, in "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
2. What tone did Andre Masson establish in his drawings?
3. What does the homogeneous part of society purchase?
4. What does Bataille say man demanded of the earth?
5. What does Bataille say about a man who knows his neighbors?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)