|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two classes Bataille divides consumption into?
(a) Productive consumption and wasteful consumption.
(b) Conservation of life and productive activity.
(c) Sacrificial consumption and gift consumption.
(d) Conspicuous consumption and invisible consumption.
2. What does Bataille describe as the only truly liberating act?
(c) Revolutionary destruction.
3. What does Bataille describe as a symptom of cultural crisis?
(a) Technological incompetence.
(b) Administrative impudence.
(c) Outrageous profits.
(d) Bureaucratic regulation.
4. What does Bataille say democracy is based on?
(a) Free elections.
(b) Free speech.
(c) A weak opposition.
(d) Open debate.
5. What movement does Bataille say in "The Sacred" was heir to Vincent Van Gogh and Rimbaud?
6. What does Bataille's 'me in the void' realize in "Sacrifices"?
(a) That he has dominion over everything.
(b) That he might have to create himself.
(c) That he doesn't exist.
(d) That he might cease to exist.
7. What does homogeneity depend on?
(a) Continual revolution.
(b) Owners keeping the workers down.
(c) A productive system.
(d) Workers owning the means of production.
8. What does Bataille say poor people cannot stop rich people from doing?
(a) Helping the poor.
(b) Wasting resources.
(c) Eluding prosecution for crimes.
(d) Buying influence.
9. What feeling does Bataille say grows in response to revolutionaries?
10. When does an obelisk cease to be meaningful?
(a) When the people have more important needs.
(b) When the military leader who erected it dies.
(c) As soon as the authority it symbolizes becomes conscious.
(d) When the political party that built it is voted out.
11. What does the homogeneous part of society purchase?
12. What does Bataille say man demanded of the earth?
(b) Consolation below the earth.
(c) Necessity above the universe.
(d) Productivity on the earth.
13. What value does money articulate for workers?
(a) The value of what they produce.
(b) The value of their ideas.
(c) The value of their personal worth.
(d) The value of their status.
14. Who is the audience for "The Practice of Joy before Death"?
(a) Those who are ill.
(b) The Catholic Church.
(c) Those who believe in no beyond.
(d) Those who believe in man's innate divinity.
15. What does Bataille use as evidence of his position on dialectics?
(a) It is a law made by interested people trying to hide their interests.
(b) It cannot explain the growth from child to adult.
(c) It underestimates the value of aesthetics.
(d) It does not account for avarice in the proletariat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say is the only religion for fascists?
2. What creatures' 'being' does Bataille compare in "The Labyrinth"?
3. What does Bataille define as a way to humiliate, defy, or obligate a poorer person as a show of destruction of wealth?
4. What is the significance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
5. What was Nietzsche's life dominated by, in Bataille's account?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)