|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bataille describe the mandrake root?
2. Whom did the Popular Front join with?
(a) Fascists and totalitarians.
(b) Democrats and Socialist Democrats.
(c) Communists and Socialists.
(d) Bureaucrats and Communists.
3. What was Bataille being punished for in "[Dream]"?
(a) Staying up too late.
(b) Wetting himself.
(c) Playing with a hoop.
(d) Seeing his parents naked.
4. What does Bataille remember his father spanking him with in "[Dream]"?
(a) A stick.
(b) A whip.
(c) A bloody toad.
(d) A belt.
5. How does Bataille describe his father?
(a) Blind, paralytic and syphilitic.
(b) Depressed and alcoholic.
(c) Financially secure.
(d) Frequently ill and mentally unstable.
6. How does Bataille describe producing and selling in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
(a) As consumptive phases.
(b) As revolutionary phases.
(c) As excretory phases.
(d) As primitive phases.
7. What was the subject of Bataille's first pamphlet?
(a) Criticism of his father.
(b) Praise of Cathedral Notre Dame des Reims.
(c) Criticism of his religion.
(d) Praise of his mother.
8. What does Bataille say the eye causes?
9. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
(a) Trying to bite.
(b) Eating each other.
(c) Eating garbage.
10. What is the benefit Bataille sees to having more than one meaning in his work?
(a) It keeps the reader uncomfortable.
(b) It keeps all Bataille's options open.
(c) It gives a clearer statement of his thought.
(d) It demonstrates the impossibility of truth.
11. What effect do flowers have on love, in "The Language of Flowers"?
12. What relationship between events and things is Bataille describing in "The Solar Anus"?
13. What does standing upright do for man in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Hides his anus.
(b) Lets him see things clearer.
(c) Distorts his vision with unnatural ideas.
(d) Raises his head to the heavens.
14. What writer coined the term conspicuous consumption?
15. What relationship do the writings in Section II have to the writings in Section I?
(a) They were unprecedented.
(b) They were unrelated.
(c) They were logical extensions.
(d) They were implicit in them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
2. How should materialism be disclaimed, in "Materialism"?
3. Who contributed to "Documents"?
4. How does Bataille describe his thinking in "Popular Front in the Street"?
5. When did George Bataille die?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)