Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was "Acephale" published?
(a) 1933 to 1937.
(b) 1942 to 1946.
(c) 1931 to 1944.
(d) 1936 to 1939.
2. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
3. Where did Bataille work until 1942?
(a) Ecole des Beaux Artes.
(b) The National Gallery in London.
(c) Bibliotheque Nationale in Paris.
(d) El Prado in Spain.
4. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) As symbols for the experience and association of natural forms.
(b) As metaphors for other natural forms.
(c) As primitive forms of the things themselves.
(d) As symbols of sacred abstraction.
5. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
(a) Anarchistic literature.
(b) Surrealist writing.
(c) Bataille's writing.
(d) Fascist rants.
6. Who contributed to "Documents"?
(b) Literary critics.
(c) Rebel surrealists.
7. How does Bataille describe his work?
8. When did George Bataille die?
9. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
(a) An eye of longing.
(b) An eye of surveillance.
(c) An eye of conscience.
(d) An eye of judgment.
10. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) A reaction against childhood idealism.
(b) A surplus of idealism.
(c) A childhood sickness of materialism.
(d) A form of world-weariness.
11. Whom did the Popular Front join with?
(a) Fascists and totalitarians.
(b) Democrats and Socialist Democrats.
(c) Bureaucrats and Communists.
(d) Communists and Socialists.
12. Why was it a mistake for Bataille to use his intellectual violence on Breton?
(a) Breton's friends excommunicated Bataille from the surrealist circles.
(b) Breton might have promoted it.
(c) Bataille lost friends over the gratuitous attack.
(d) Breton ruined Bataille in revenge.
13. How did Bataille rebel against his father?
(a) By running away from home.
(b) By taking lovers.
(c) By quitting school.
(d) By becoming a Protestant.
14. What does Bataille say coitus is associated with, in "The Solar Anus"?
15. Where was Bataille born?
Short Answer Questions
1. What principles does Bataille say men associate with the feet in "The Big Toe"?
2. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
3. Whom did Bataille join with to form the Popular Front?
4. What was Bataille being punished for in "[Dream]"?
5. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)