|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Bataille being punished for in "[Dream]"?
(a) Wetting himself.
(b) Playing with a hoop.
(c) Staying up too late.
(d) Seeing his parents naked.
2. What did Bataille say about his book "W.C."?
(a) It was going to destroy the world.
(b) It was a prophecy.
(c) It was execrable and shouldn't be published.
(d) It was opposed to all dignity.
3. How does Bataille describe the mandrake root?
4. What does Bataille feel about the rats in "[Dream]"?
(a) The must be cleared out.
(b) They must be killed.
(c) They must be fed to snakes.
(d) They must be cleaned.
5. When was "Acephale" published?
(a) 1933 to 1937.
(b) 1942 to 1946.
(c) 1931 to 1944.
(d) 1936 to 1939.
6. When was George Bataille born?
7. What was the subject of Bataille's first pamphlet?
(a) Criticism of his father.
(b) Praise of Cathedral Notre Dame des Reims.
(c) Criticism of his religion.
(d) Praise of his mother.
8. How does Bataille describe his father?
(a) Frequently ill and mentally unstable.
(b) Blind, paralytic and syphilitic.
(c) Financially secure.
(d) Depressed and alcoholic.
9. What does the other self-mutilator (besides Van Gogh) do in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh"?
(a) Bite off his finger.
(b) Cut off his hand.
(c) Put out his eye.
(d) Drink his own blood.
10. Why was Bataille annoyed while riding his bicycle?
(a) The sand was slushy with high tide.
(b) The house was too small for his turns.
(c) The schoolyard was fenced in.
(d) The pavement was broken up by streetcar tracks.
11. What does Bataille compare roots to, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) Visible leaves.
(b) Human bodies.
12. What feeling does Bataille exaggerate in "The Lugubrious Game"?
13. In what piece of writing did Bataille record his childhood?
(a) The Lugubrious Game.
(c) The Eye.
(d) The Language of Flowers.
14. What does Bataille claim the world is in "The Solar Anus"?
15. For what field did Bataille go to school?
(a) Renaissance art critic.
(b) Medieval librarian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Breton call Bataille?
2. What is the benefit Bataille sees to having more than one meaning in his work?
3. When did George Bataille die?
4. Why did Bataille leave his job in 1942?
5. Where was Bataille born?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)