|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Bataille say about his book "W.C."?
(a) It was a prophecy.
(b) It was going to destroy the world.
(c) It was opposed to all dignity.
(d) It was execrable and shouldn't be published.
2. How does Bataille describe his work?
3. What did Breton call Bataille?
(a) A prophet.
(b) An excremental philosopher.
(c) A incremental writing whore.
(d) A dubious genius.
4. What claim does Bataille discuss in "The Deviations of Nature"?
(a) That nothing is more horrifying than rats at carnivals.
(b) That nothing is more horrifying that carnival freaks.
(c) That nothing is more horrifying than man.
(d) That nothing is more horrifying than snakes.
5. What does Bataille say coitus is associated with, in "The Solar Anus"?
6. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
(a) Trying to bite.
(b) Eating each other.
(d) Eating garbage.
7. What was the subject of Bataille's first pamphlet?
(a) Criticism of his religion.
(b) Praise of his mother.
(c) Criticism of his father.
(d) Praise of Cathedral Notre Dame des Reims.
8. What was the "Acephale" group's primary purpose?
(a) To come into contact with God in men.
(b) To kill God.
(c) To annihilate the idea of God.
(d) To recreate the myth of God.
9. How does Bataille describe producing and selling in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
(a) As excretory phases.
(b) As consumptive phases.
(c) As revolutionary phases.
(d) As primitive phases.
10. What was Bataille being punished for in "[Dream]"?
(a) Seeing his parents naked.
(b) Staying up too late.
(c) Wetting himself.
(d) Playing with a hoop.
11. What does the title of "The Solar Anus" refer to?
(a) The source of all matter.
(b) The blinding effect of seeing a girl's anus.
(c) The regeneration of the universe in stars that eat planets.
(d) The passage out of purgatory.
12. Why was it a mistake for Bataille to use his intellectual violence on Breton?
(a) Breton ruined Bataille in revenge.
(b) Breton's friends excommunicated Bataille from the surrealist circles.
(c) Breton might have promoted it.
(d) Bataille lost friends over the gratuitous attack.
13. What is the benefit Bataille sees to having more than one meaning in his work?
(a) It demonstrates the impossibility of truth.
(b) It keeps all Bataille's options open.
(c) It gives a clearer statement of his thought.
(d) It keeps the reader uncomfortable.
14. When did Bataille form the Popular Front?
15. Whom did Bataille join with to form the Popular Front?
Short Answer Questions
1. How should materialism be disclaimed, in "Materialism"?
2. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
3. What do volcanoes serve as, in "The Solar Anus"?
4. What interrupts the road in "[Dream]"?
5. What film does Bataille cite in "The Eye"?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)