|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Bataille leave his job in 1942?
(a) He fled the Germans.
(b) He died.
(c) He was ill.
(d) He was fired.
2. What does the other self-mutilator (besides Van Gogh) do in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh"?
(a) Bite off his finger.
(b) Put out his eye.
(c) Drink his own blood.
(d) Cut off his hand.
3. What does Bataille remember his father spanking him with in "[Dream]"?
(a) A whip.
(b) A bloody toad.
(c) A stick.
(d) A belt.
4. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
(a) An eye of surveillance.
(b) An eye of longing.
(c) An eye of judgment.
(d) An eye of conscience.
5. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
(a) Trying to bite.
(b) Eating each other.
(d) Eating garbage.
6. What does Bataille say about monsters in "The Deviations of Nature"?
(a) That they represent the opposite of geometric regularity of form.
(b) That they are the best place to gain insight into people's feelings about themselves.
(c) That they are projections out of the ugliest part of humanity.
(d) That they are necessary to keep people in line.
7. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
(a) Bataille's writing.
(b) Surrealist writing.
(c) Fascist rants.
(d) Anarchistic literature.
8. How would you describe the images Bataille presents?
9. When did Bataille form the Popular Front?
10. How does surrealism rebel at first, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) With all the proletarians.
(b) With all-out deformation of images.
(c) Without the lower classes.
(d) With subtle disorientation of meaning.
11. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
(b) Sex play with eyeballs.
(c) Anal fixation.
(d) A brown smudge.
12. When did Bataille deny his faith?
13. How does Bataille describe his work?
14. Why was Bataille annoyed while riding his bicycle?
(a) The pavement was broken up by streetcar tracks.
(b) The sand was slushy with high tide.
(c) The house was too small for his turns.
(d) The schoolyard was fenced in.
15. How does Bataille describe his memory of his father pulling down his pants in "[Dream]"?
(b) Terrible and magnificent.
(d) Humiliating and painful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What claim does Bataille discuss in "The Deviations of Nature"?
2. Why was it a mistake for Bataille to use his intellectual violence on Breton?
3. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
4. What were Bataille's feelings for Breton?
5. What description fits with the "Acephale" group?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)