|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were Bataille's feelings for Breton?
2. What does Bataille say coitus is associated with, in "The Solar Anus"?
3. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) A form of world-weariness.
(b) A childhood sickness of materialism.
(c) A reaction against childhood idealism.
(d) A surplus of idealism.
4. Whom did the Popular Front join with?
(a) Communists and Socialists.
(b) Democrats and Socialist Democrats.
(c) Bureaucrats and Communists.
(d) Fascists and totalitarians.
5. How would you describe the images Bataille presents?
6. What critique does Bataille make in "The Critique of the Foundations of Hegelian Dialectic"?
(a) He mocks Marx and Engels for their idealism.
(b) He demonstrated why dialectical materialism is inevitable.
(c) He criticizes the Oversoul as a childish fantasy.
(d) He frees dialectical negation from Engels' mechanical abstraction.
7. What feeling does Bataille exaggerate in "The Lugubrious Game"?
8. What was Bataille afraid of as a child?
(b) The Rain.
9. How does Bataille describe his thinking in "Popular Front in the Street"?
(a) He said he had a paradoxical fascist tendency.
(b) He said he had an indomitable democratic streak.
(c) He said he worshiped the masses.
(d) He said he could not escape from the logic of fascism.
10. Who arranged Bataille's psychoanalytic cure?
(a) Dr. Rank.
(b) Dr. Dausse.
(c) Dr. Jung.
(d) Dr. Adler.
11. How does Bataille describe producing and selling in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
(a) As primitive phases.
(b) As revolutionary phases.
(c) As excretory phases.
(d) As consumptive phases.
12. Where did Bataille work until 1942?
(a) The National Gallery in London.
(b) Bibliotheque Nationale in Paris.
(c) Ecole des Beaux Artes.
(d) El Prado in Spain.
13. What does the title of "The Solar Anus" refer to?
(a) The passage out of purgatory.
(b) The regeneration of the universe in stars that eat planets.
(c) The blinding effect of seeing a girl's anus.
(d) The source of all matter.
14. When did Bataille publish "W.C."?
15. Whom did Bataille join with to form the Popular Front?
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect do flowers have on love, in "The Language of Flowers"?
2. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
3. What do volcanoes serve as, in "The Solar Anus"?
4. What was the "Acephale" group's primary purpose?
5. What does the mole stand for in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)