|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille say coitus is associated with, in "The Solar Anus"?
2. What does Bataille say about monsters in "The Deviations of Nature"?
(a) That they are projections out of the ugliest part of humanity.
(b) That they are necessary to keep people in line.
(c) That they are the best place to gain insight into people's feelings about themselves.
(d) That they represent the opposite of geometric regularity of form.
3. In what piece of writing did Bataille record his childhood?
(b) The Lugubrious Game.
(c) The Language of Flowers.
(d) The Eye.
4. What claim does Bataille discuss in "The Deviations of Nature"?
(a) That nothing is more horrifying than rats at carnivals.
(b) That nothing is more horrifying than snakes.
(c) That nothing is more horrifying than man.
(d) That nothing is more horrifying that carnival freaks.
5. What does Bataille compare roots to, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(b) Human bodies.
(d) Visible leaves.
6. Why did Bataille attack Nietzsche?
(a) For going insane.
(b) For megalomania and failure of ideas.
(c) For admiring Emerson.
(d) For failing to embrace the decomposition of culture.
7. How long does Bataille ride his bicycle for in "[Dream]"?
(a) Until he wakes up.
(b) Until he finds his father.
(c) Until darkness descends.
(d) Until he falls.
8. What was Bataille afraid of as a child?
(c) The Rain.
9. What did Bataille write while he was working?
(a) Book reviews.
(b) Art criticism.
(c) A medieval romance.
(d) Articles on philosophy.
10. Who arranged Bataille's psychoanalytic cure?
(a) Dr. Dausse.
(b) Dr. Adler.
(c) Dr. Jung.
(d) Dr. Rank.
11. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
(a) The attempt to rid one's thoughts of spiritualism.
(b) The attempt to free the eye from aesthetics.
(c) The desire to stop using language for natural functions.
(d) The attempt to translate sex into language.
12. What principles does Bataille say men associate with height in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Strength and authority.
(b) Power and danger.
(c) Trustworthiness and leadership.
(d) Good and light.
13. What film does Bataille cite in "The Eye"?
(a) The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.
(b) That Obscure Object of Desire.
(c) L'Age d'Or.
(d) Andalusian Dog.
14. What description fits with the "Acephale" group?
(a) Secret society.
(b) Literature brotherhood.
(c) Community organizers.
(d) Political underground.
15. How does Bataille describe the mandrake root?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do volcanoes serve as, in "The Solar Anus"?
2. How should materialism be disclaimed, in "Materialism"?
3. Why was it a mistake for Bataille to use his intellectual violence on Breton?
4. Whom did Bataille join with to form the Popular Front?
5. What interrupts the road in "[Dream]"?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)