|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What characterizes man in "The Eye"?
(a) Longing for purity.
(b) Horror of eyes and insects.
(c) Longing for sacrilege.
(d) Desire for violence and violation.
2. Why was Bataille annoyed while riding his bicycle?
(a) The house was too small for his turns.
(b) The schoolyard was fenced in.
(c) The sand was slushy with high tide.
(d) The pavement was broken up by streetcar tracks.
3. What does the other self-mutilator (besides Van Gogh) do in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh"?
(a) Cut off his hand.
(b) Bite off his finger.
(c) Drink his own blood.
(d) Put out his eye.
4. What claim does Bataille discuss in "The Deviations of Nature"?
(a) That nothing is more horrifying than rats at carnivals.
(b) That nothing is more horrifying that carnival freaks.
(c) That nothing is more horrifying than man.
(d) That nothing is more horrifying than snakes.
5. What was the subject of Bataille's first pamphlet?
(a) Praise of his mother.
(b) Criticism of his religion.
(c) Criticism of his father.
(d) Praise of Cathedral Notre Dame des Reims.
6. What relationship do the writings in Section II have to the writings in Section I?
(a) They were unprecedented.
(b) They were implicit in them.
(c) They were logical extensions.
(d) They were unrelated.
7. What does Bataille say the eye causes?
8. What critique does Bataille make in "The Critique of the Foundations of Hegelian Dialectic"?
(a) He criticizes the Oversoul as a childish fantasy.
(b) He mocks Marx and Engels for their idealism.
(c) He frees dialectical negation from Engels' mechanical abstraction.
(d) He demonstrated why dialectical materialism is inevitable.
9. What film does Bataille cite in "The Eye"?
(a) The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.
(b) That Obscure Object of Desire.
(c) Andalusian Dog.
(d) L'Age d'Or.
10. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
(a) Devaluing the trappings of wealth.
(b) Destroying the foundation of wealth.
(c) Affirming the position of the rich.
(d) Attacking the inequalities in the economy.
11. What effect do flowers have on love, in "The Language of Flowers"?
12. Where does Bataille recall riding his bicycle in Reims, in "[Dream]"?
(a) In his house.
(b) In the schoolyard.
(c) Through the streets.
(d) On the beach.
13. What does Bataille feel about the rats in "[Dream]"?
(a) They must be cleaned.
(b) They must be killed.
(c) The must be cleared out.
(d) They must be fed to snakes.
14. What does Bataille say coitus is associated with, in "The Solar Anus"?
15. What does the title of "The Solar Anus" refer to?
(a) The blinding effect of seeing a girl's anus.
(b) The passage out of purgatory.
(c) The regeneration of the universe in stars that eat planets.
(d) The source of all matter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What principles does Bataille say men associate with height in "The Big Toe"?
2. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
3. What were Bataille's feelings for Breton?
4. How does Bataille describe his memory of his father pulling down his pants in "[Dream]"?
5. How should materialism be disclaimed, in "Materialism"?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)