|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What description fits with the "Acephale" group?
(a) Secret society.
(b) Literature brotherhood.
(c) Political underground.
(d) Community organizers.
2. What does Bataille claim the world is in "The Solar Anus"?
3. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
(a) Anal fixation.
(b) A brown smudge.
(d) Sex play with eyeballs.
4. What is the first stage of revolution, in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
(a) Staking a claim to a new kind of authority.
(b) Portraying your revolution as a utopian project destined to succeed.
(c) Expelling a group from power.
(d) Appropriating the language with which groups claim power.
5. What characterizes man in "The Eye"?
(a) Horror of eyes and insects.
(b) Longing for purity.
(c) Longing for sacrilege.
(d) Desire for violence and violation.
6. Whom did the Popular Front join with?
(a) Bureaucrats and Communists.
(b) Democrats and Socialist Democrats.
(c) Communists and Socialists.
(d) Fascists and totalitarians.
7. Where did Bataille work until 1942?
(a) The National Gallery in London.
(b) El Prado in Spain.
(c) Ecole des Beaux Artes.
(d) Bibliotheque Nationale in Paris.
8. How does "The Language of Flowers" end?
(a) With Count Leopold von Sacher-Masoch putting out a priest's eye.
(b) With a girl being sent away to school.
(c) With students strangling a young woman.
(d) With Sade tossing flower petals into a ditch of manure.
9. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) A reaction against childhood idealism.
(b) A childhood sickness of materialism.
(c) A surplus of idealism.
(d) A form of world-weariness.
10. What principles does Bataille say men associate with height in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Power and danger.
(b) Trustworthiness and leadership.
(c) Good and light.
(d) Strength and authority.
11. When was George Bataille born?
12. Where was Bataille born?
13. What did Bataille write while he was working?
(a) Art criticism.
(b) A medieval romance.
(c) Articles on philosophy.
(d) Book reviews.
14. What do flowers witness, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) The reason for the plants' existence.
(b) The architectural order of fields and forests.
(c) Nothing but a moment in the life of the plant.
(d) The life and death of love.
15. What form does Bataille take after being a boy in "[Dream]"?
(a) An American gentleman.
(b) A priest.
(c) A butcher.
(d) A girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does dialectic operate in "Notion of Expenditure"?
2. When did Bataille deny his faith?
3. Where did Bataille go to school?
4. When did Bataille and his mother abandon his father?
5. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)