|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Bataille deny his faith?
2. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
(a) Surrealist writing.
(b) Bataille's writing.
(c) Anarchistic literature.
(d) Fascist rants.
3. What does Bataille remember his father spanking him with in "[Dream]"?
(a) A whip.
(b) A belt.
(c) A bloody toad.
(d) A stick.
4. What film does Bataille cite in "The Eye"?
(a) Andalusian Dog.
(b) L'Age d'Or.
(c) That Obscure Object of Desire.
(d) The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.
5. How does Bataille describe the mandrake root?
6. What interrupts the road in "[Dream]"?
(a) Construction workers.
(c) Rats and vermin.
7. Where does Bataille recall riding his bicycle in Reims, in "[Dream]"?
(a) Through the streets.
(b) On the beach.
(c) In the schoolyard.
(d) In his house.
8. How does Bataille describe his father?
(a) Depressed and alcoholic.
(b) Frequently ill and mentally unstable.
(c) Blind, paralytic and syphilitic.
(d) Financially secure.
9. How does "The Language of Flowers" end?
(a) With Sade tossing flower petals into a ditch of manure.
(b) With Count Leopold von Sacher-Masoch putting out a priest's eye.
(c) With a girl being sent away to school.
(d) With students strangling a young woman.
10. How does Bataille describe his memory of his father pulling down his pants in "[Dream]"?
(a) Terrible and magnificent.
(b) Humiliating and painful.
11. What does Bataille compare roots to, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(b) Human bodies.
(d) Visible leaves.
12. Whom did Bataille join with to form the Popular Front?
13. What writer coined the term conspicuous consumption?
14. What principles does Bataille say men associate with height in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Strength and authority.
(b) Power and danger.
(c) Trustworthiness and leadership.
(d) Good and light.
15. Where did Bataille work until 1942?
(a) The National Gallery in London.
(b) Ecole des Beaux Artes.
(c) Bibliotheque Nationale in Paris.
(d) El Prado in Spain.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose hands does Bataille describe conspicuous consumption as a tool?
2. How did Bataille rebel against his father?
3. What do flowers witness, in "The Language of Flowers"?
4. What does Bataille feel about the rats in "[Dream]"?
5. What does the other self-mutilator (besides Van Gogh) do in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh"?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)