|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How would you describe the images Bataille presents?
2. What does Bataille say about monsters in "The Deviations of Nature"?
(a) That they are the best place to gain insight into people's feelings about themselves.
(b) That they are projections out of the ugliest part of humanity.
(c) That they represent the opposite of geometric regularity of form.
(d) That they are necessary to keep people in line.
3. Who introduced Bataille to surrealism?
(a) Andre Breton.
(b) Joan Miro.
(c) Michael Leiris.
(d) Marcel Duchamp.
4. What does Bataille say the eye causes?
5. In whose hands does Bataille describe conspicuous consumption as a tool?
(a) The poor.
(b) The middle class.
(c) The rich.
(d) The intelligentsia.
6. When did Bataille deny his faith?
7. Where did Bataille go to school?
(a) Lycée International.
(b) Ecole des Beaux Artes.
(c) Lycée Henry IV.
(d) Ecole des Chartres.
8. What relationship between events and things is Bataille describing in "The Solar Anus"?
9. What do flowers witness, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) The life and death of love.
(b) Nothing but a moment in the life of the plant.
(c) The architectural order of fields and forests.
(d) The reason for the plants' existence.
10. What principles does Bataille say men associate with height in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Power and danger.
(b) Trustworthiness and leadership.
(c) Good and light.
(d) Strength and authority.
11. What does standing upright do for man in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Lets him see things clearer.
(b) Hides his anus.
(c) Distorts his vision with unnatural ideas.
(d) Raises his head to the heavens.
12. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
(a) Fifteen months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two years.
(d) Nine months.
13. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
(a) Bataille's writing.
(b) Surrealist writing.
(c) Anarchistic literature.
(d) Fascist rants.
14. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
(a) Destroying the foundation of wealth.
(b) Devaluing the trappings of wealth.
(c) Attacking the inequalities in the economy.
(d) Affirming the position of the rich.
15. What are flowers not matched by, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) A show of human love.
(b) The purity of the sunshine.
(c) The corrupt hands that pick them.
(d) The work of bees.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two stances did Bataille combine?
2. How does dialectic operate in "Notion of Expenditure"?
3. What feeling does Bataille exaggerate in "The Lugubrious Game"?
4. How does Bataille describe the Mithraic cult ritual of the sun in "Rotten Sun"?
5. How does Bataille describe his thinking in "Popular Front in the Street"?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)