|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bataille describe his work?
2. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) A reaction against childhood idealism.
(b) A form of world-weariness.
(c) A childhood sickness of materialism.
(d) A surplus of idealism.
3. What claim does Bataille discuss in "The Deviations of Nature"?
(a) That nothing is more horrifying than man.
(b) That nothing is more horrifying than snakes.
(c) That nothing is more horrifying than rats at carnivals.
(d) That nothing is more horrifying that carnival freaks.
4. When was "Acephale" published?
(a) 1936 to 1939.
(b) 1942 to 1946.
(c) 1931 to 1944.
(d) 1933 to 1937.
5. Why did Bataille attack Nietzsche?
(a) For megalomania and failure of ideas.
(b) For admiring Emerson.
(c) For failing to embrace the decomposition of culture.
(d) For going insane.
6. What does Bataille say was the driving force beneath his heterodox theory?
(a) Obsession with priests.
(b) Obsession with excrement.
(c) Homoerotic terror.
(d) Oedipal terror.
7. How does dialectic operate in "Notion of Expenditure"?
(a) It animates class struggle.
(b) It prevents revolution.
(c) It results from revolution.
(d) It pacifies the proletariat.
8. Why was it a mistake for Bataille to use his intellectual violence on Breton?
(a) Breton might have promoted it.
(b) Breton's friends excommunicated Bataille from the surrealist circles.
(c) Breton ruined Bataille in revenge.
(d) Bataille lost friends over the gratuitous attack.
9. What does Bataille say the eye causes?
10. What were Bataille's feelings for Breton?
11. How do the rats appear in "[Dream]"?
(a) Scratching in the walls.
(b) Swimming in the bilge.
(c) Crawling in ditches.
(d) Hanging by their tails.
12. What does the other self-mutilator (besides Van Gogh) do in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh"?
(a) Put out his eye.
(b) Drink his own blood.
(c) Cut off his hand.
(d) Bite off his finger.
13. What relationship do the writings in Section II have to the writings in Section I?
(a) They were unprecedented.
(b) They were implicit in them.
(c) They were logical extensions.
(d) They were unrelated.
14. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
(b) Anal fixation.
(c) A brown smudge.
(d) Sex play with eyeballs.
15. Why was Bataille annoyed while riding his bicycle?
(a) The pavement was broken up by streetcar tracks.
(b) The sand was slushy with high tide.
(c) The schoolyard was fenced in.
(d) The house was too small for his turns.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Bataille born?
2. When did Bataille publish "W.C."?
3. How does "The Language of Flowers" end?
4. What does Bataille remember his father spanking him with in "[Dream]"?
5. What feeling does Bataille exaggerate in "The Lugubrious Game"?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)