|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect do flowers have on love, in "The Language of Flowers"?
2. What was Bataille being punished for in "[Dream]"?
(a) Playing with a hoop.
(b) Wetting himself.
(c) Staying up too late.
(d) Seeing his parents naked.
3. What was the "Acephale" group's primary purpose?
(a) To recreate the myth of God.
(b) To kill God.
(c) To annihilate the idea of God.
(d) To come into contact with God in men.
4. How does Bataille describe his work?
5. What did Breton call Bataille?
(a) A dubious genius.
(b) An excremental philosopher.
(c) A incremental writing whore.
(d) A prophet.
6. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) As symbols of sacred abstraction.
(b) As symbols for the experience and association of natural forms.
(c) As primitive forms of the things themselves.
(d) As metaphors for other natural forms.
7. What does standing upright do for man in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Lets him see things clearer.
(b) Distorts his vision with unnatural ideas.
(c) Raises his head to the heavens.
(d) Hides his anus.
8. What description fits with the "Acephale" group?
(a) Political underground.
(b) Secret society.
(c) Community organizers.
(d) Literature brotherhood.
9. Why did Bataille attack Nietzsche?
(a) For megalomania and failure of ideas.
(b) For failing to embrace the decomposition of culture.
(c) For going insane.
(d) For admiring Emerson.
10. What principles does Bataille say men associate with the feet in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Evil and dark.
(b) Subversion and power.
(c) Powerlessness and subservience.
(d) Labor and evil.
11. When did George Bataille die?
12. How does Bataille describe producing and selling in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
(a) As primitive phases.
(b) As excretory phases.
(c) As revolutionary phases.
(d) As consumptive phases.
13. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
(a) The attempt to free the eye from aesthetics.
(b) The attempt to translate sex into language.
(c) The attempt to rid one's thoughts of spiritualism.
(d) The desire to stop using language for natural functions.
14. How did Leiris portray Bataille to Breton?
(a) As obsessed.
(b) As a prophet.
(c) As a genius.
(d) As a pornographer.
15. What did Bataille say about his book "W.C."?
(a) It was execrable and shouldn't be published.
(b) It was opposed to all dignity.
(c) It was a prophecy.
(d) It was going to destroy the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Breton's response to Bataille?
2. What was Bataille afraid of as a child?
3. What does Bataille compare roots to, in "The Language of Flowers"?
4. When did Bataille publish "W.C."?
5. What does the mole stand for in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)