|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
(b) Eating garbage.
(c) Eating each other.
(d) Trying to bite.
2. What relationship between events and things is Bataille describing in "The Solar Anus"?
3. For what field did Bataille go to school?
(b) Medieval librarian.
(c) Renaissance art critic.
4. How does "The Language of Flowers" end?
(a) With students strangling a young woman.
(b) With Count Leopold von Sacher-Masoch putting out a priest's eye.
(c) With a girl being sent away to school.
(d) With Sade tossing flower petals into a ditch of manure.
5. How does Bataille describe his memory of his father pulling down his pants in "[Dream]"?
(a) Terrible and magnificent.
(c) Humiliating and painful.
6. How would you describe the images Bataille presents?
7. How did Leiris portray Bataille to Breton?
(a) As a prophet.
(b) As a genius.
(c) As obsessed.
(d) As a pornographer.
8. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
(a) The attempt to free the eye from aesthetics.
(b) The attempt to rid one's thoughts of spiritualism.
(c) The attempt to translate sex into language.
(d) The desire to stop using language for natural functions.
9. Where did "[Dream]" originate?
(a) In Bataille's psychoanalysis.
(b) In Bataille's marriage.
(c) In Bataille's imagination.
(d) In Bataille's childhood obsession with eyes.
10. When did George Bataille die?
11. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
(a) An eye of judgment.
(b) An eye of surveillance.
(c) An eye of longing.
(d) An eye of conscience.
12. What film does Bataille cite in "The Eye"?
(a) That Obscure Object of Desire.
(b) Andalusian Dog.
(c) L'Age d'Or.
(d) The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.
13. What flower is Marquis de Sade plucking petals off, at the end of "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) A daisy.
(b) A carnation.
(c) A rose.
(d) A lily.
14. How does Bataille describe the Mithraic cult ritual of the sun in "Rotten Sun"?
(a) A worshiper puts out a priest's eye.
(b) A priest cuts a victim's throat on an altar.
(c) A priest stares into the sun to have a vision.
(d) A priest spatters a bull's blood on worshipers underneath.
15. Where does Bataille recall riding his bicycle in Reims, in "[Dream]"?
(a) In the schoolyard.
(b) On the beach.
(c) Through the streets.
(d) In his house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did the Popular Front join with?
2. Who contributed to "Documents"?
3. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
4. What does Bataille compare roots to, in "The Language of Flowers"?
5. Whom did Bataille join with to form the Popular Front?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)