|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what piece of writing did Bataille record his childhood?
(b) The Language of Flowers.
(c) The Eye.
(d) The Lugubrious Game.
2. What form does Bataille take after being a boy in "[Dream]"?
(a) An American gentleman.
(b) A girl.
(c) A butcher.
(d) A priest.
3. What does Bataille say about monsters in "The Deviations of Nature"?
(a) That they are the best place to gain insight into people's feelings about themselves.
(b) That they are necessary to keep people in line.
(c) That they represent the opposite of geometric regularity of form.
(d) That they are projections out of the ugliest part of humanity.
4. Who contributed to "Documents"?
(b) Rebel surrealists.
(d) Literary critics.
5. What does Bataille claim the world is in "The Solar Anus"?
6. When did Bataille and his mother abandon his father?
(a) When the father went insane.
(b) When the Germans arrived in 1915.
(c) When the mother took a job in Paris.
(d) When the father was imprisoned.
7. What characterizes man in "The Eye"?
(a) Longing for sacrilege.
(b) Horror of eyes and insects.
(c) Longing for purity.
(d) Desire for violence and violation.
8. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
(a) Attacking the inequalities in the economy.
(b) Destroying the foundation of wealth.
(c) Affirming the position of the rich.
(d) Devaluing the trappings of wealth.
9. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
(b) Trying to bite.
(c) Eating each other.
(d) Eating garbage.
10. What does Bataille say the eye causes?
11. Whom does Bataille refer to as untouchables in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
(a) The workers.
(b) The impoverished.
(c) The rich.
(d) The sovereign.
12. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
(a) Two years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Fifteen months.
(d) Nine months.
13. What interrupts the road in "[Dream]"?
(b) Rats and vermin.
(d) Construction workers.
14. What is the benefit Bataille sees to having more than one meaning in his work?
(a) It demonstrates the impossibility of truth.
(b) It keeps the reader uncomfortable.
(c) It keeps all Bataille's options open.
(d) It gives a clearer statement of his thought.
15. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
2. When was George Bataille born?
3. How does surrealism rebel at first, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
4. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
5. For what field did Bataille go to school?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)