|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille say about monsters in "The Deviations of Nature"?
(a) That they are projections out of the ugliest part of humanity.
(b) That they represent the opposite of geometric regularity of form.
(c) That they are the best place to gain insight into people's feelings about themselves.
(d) That they are necessary to keep people in line.
2. What was Bataille being punished for in "[Dream]"?
(a) Seeing his parents naked.
(b) Staying up too late.
(c) Wetting himself.
(d) Playing with a hoop.
3. When was "Acephale" published?
(a) 1942 to 1946.
(b) 1933 to 1937.
(c) 1931 to 1944.
(d) 1936 to 1939.
4. What feeling does Bataille exaggerate in "The Lugubrious Game"?
5. How does Bataille describe producing and selling in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
(a) As primitive phases.
(b) As excretory phases.
(c) As consumptive phases.
(d) As revolutionary phases.
6. What relationship between events and things is Bataille describing in "The Solar Anus"?
7. What did Breton call Bataille?
(a) A prophet.
(b) A dubious genius.
(c) A incremental writing whore.
(d) An excremental philosopher.
8. What is the benefit Bataille sees to having more than one meaning in his work?
(a) It keeps the reader uncomfortable.
(b) It demonstrates the impossibility of truth.
(c) It gives a clearer statement of his thought.
(d) It keeps all Bataille's options open.
9. Where did "[Dream]" originate?
(a) In Bataille's psychoanalysis.
(b) In Bataille's imagination.
(c) In Bataille's marriage.
(d) In Bataille's childhood obsession with eyes.
10. How does surrealism rebel at first, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) Without the lower classes.
(b) With subtle disorientation of meaning.
(c) With all-out deformation of images.
(d) With all the proletarians.
11. What does Bataille compare roots to, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) Human bodies.
(c) Visible leaves.
12. What does standing upright do for man in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Raises his head to the heavens.
(b) Distorts his vision with unnatural ideas.
(c) Hides his anus.
(d) Lets him see things clearer.
13. When did George Bataille die?
14. When was George Bataille born?
15. What effect do flowers have on love, in "The Language of Flowers"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Bataille attack Nietzsche?
2. What does the mole stand for in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
3. What does the title of "The Solar Anus" refer to?
4. How does Bataille describe his thinking in "Popular Front in the Street"?
5. What did Bataille write while he was working?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)