|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Breton's response to Bataille?
(a) He lamented the absence of any real philosophy at the core of Bataille's writing.
(b) He praised the shocking images that would disturb the bourgeoisie.
(c) He refuted Bataille's arguments.
(d) He condemned his pathological reasoning to the unreasonable.
2. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) As symbols for the experience and association of natural forms.
(b) As metaphors for other natural forms.
(c) As primitive forms of the things themselves.
(d) As symbols of sacred abstraction.
3. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
(a) Nine months.
(b) Two years.
(c) Fifteen months.
(d) Six months.
4. What effect do flowers have on love, in "The Language of Flowers"?
5. What are flowers not matched by, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) The purity of the sunshine.
(b) The corrupt hands that pick them.
(c) The work of bees.
(d) A show of human love.
6. How does surrealism rebel at first, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) With subtle disorientation of meaning.
(b) Without the lower classes.
(c) With all the proletarians.
(d) With all-out deformation of images.
7. How does Bataille describe the mandrake root?
8. What form does Bataille take after being a boy in "[Dream]"?
(a) A girl.
(b) A priest.
(c) An American gentleman.
(d) A butcher.
9. What was Bataille being punished for in "[Dream]"?
(a) Playing with a hoop.
(b) Seeing his parents naked.
(c) Staying up too late.
(d) Wetting himself.
10. What does Bataille say coitus is associated with, in "The Solar Anus"?
11. What does Bataille remember his father spanking him with in "[Dream]"?
(a) A whip.
(b) A belt.
(c) A stick.
(d) A bloody toad.
12. What does the mole stand for in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
13. Why was Bataille annoyed while riding his bicycle?
(a) The schoolyard was fenced in.
(b) The sand was slushy with high tide.
(c) The house was too small for his turns.
(d) The pavement was broken up by streetcar tracks.
14. In whose hands does Bataille describe conspicuous consumption as a tool?
(a) The rich.
(b) The middle class.
(c) The poor.
(d) The intelligentsia.
15. What was the "Acephale" group's primary purpose?
(a) To recreate the myth of God.
(b) To annihilate the idea of God.
(c) To kill God.
(d) To come into contact with God in men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
2. What description fits with the "Acephale" group?
3. Why did Bataille attack Nietzsche?
4. What did Bataille say about his book "W.C."?
5. What flower is Marquis de Sade plucking petals off, at the end of "The Language of Flowers"?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)