|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
2. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) As symbols of sacred abstraction.
(b) As primitive forms of the things themselves.
(c) As metaphors for other natural forms.
(d) As symbols for the experience and association of natural forms.
3. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) A surplus of idealism.
(b) A childhood sickness of materialism.
(c) A form of world-weariness.
(d) A reaction against childhood idealism.
4. What two stances did Bataille combine?
(a) Sacrilege and holiness of religion.
(b) Merging and independence of men and women.
(c) Fulfillment and hollowing of man.
(d) Elevation and desecration of man.
5. Who arranged Bataille's psychoanalytic cure?
(a) Dr. Dausse.
(b) Dr. Adler.
(c) Dr. Jung.
(d) Dr. Rank.
6. How long does Bataille ride his bicycle for in "[Dream]"?
(a) Until he falls.
(b) Until he finds his father.
(c) Until darkness descends.
(d) Until he wakes up.
7. Why was it a mistake for Bataille to use his intellectual violence on Breton?
(a) Bataille lost friends over the gratuitous attack.
(b) Breton might have promoted it.
(c) Breton ruined Bataille in revenge.
(d) Breton's friends excommunicated Bataille from the surrealist circles.
8. Whom did Bataille join with to form the Popular Front?
9. What is the first stage of revolution, in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
(a) Appropriating the language with which groups claim power.
(b) Expelling a group from power.
(c) Portraying your revolution as a utopian project destined to succeed.
(d) Staking a claim to a new kind of authority.
10. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
(a) Sex play with eyeballs.
(c) Anal fixation.
(d) A brown smudge.
11. What does Bataille compare roots to, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) Visible leaves.
(b) Human bodies.
12. How does dialectic operate in "Notion of Expenditure"?
(a) It pacifies the proletariat.
(b) It results from revolution.
(c) It animates class struggle.
(d) It prevents revolution.
13. When did Bataille form the Popular Front?
14. How does surrealism rebel at first, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) With subtle disorientation of meaning.
(b) With all-out deformation of images.
(c) With all the proletarians.
(d) Without the lower classes.
15. In whose hands does Bataille describe conspicuous consumption as a tool?
(a) The intelligentsia.
(b) The middle class.
(c) The rich.
(d) The poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Bataille publish "W.C."?
2. What characterizes man in "The Eye"?
3. Where did "[Dream]" originate?
4. When did Bataille and his mother abandon his father?
5. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)