|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the mole stand for in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
2. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) As symbols of sacred abstraction.
(b) As symbols for the experience and association of natural forms.
(c) As metaphors for other natural forms.
(d) As primitive forms of the things themselves.
3. What two stances did Bataille combine?
(a) Merging and independence of men and women.
(b) Fulfillment and hollowing of man.
(c) Sacrilege and holiness of religion.
(d) Elevation and desecration of man.
4. Who contributed to "Documents"?
(a) Literary critics.
(b) Rebel surrealists.
5. What does Bataille compare roots to, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) Visible leaves.
(c) Human bodies.
6. What flower is Marquis de Sade plucking petals off, at the end of "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) A carnation.
(b) A lily.
(c) A daisy.
(d) A rose.
7. What does Bataille claim the world is in "The Solar Anus"?
8. What does Bataille remember his father spanking him with in "[Dream]"?
(a) A stick.
(b) A whip.
(c) A bloody toad.
(d) A belt.
9. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) A childhood sickness of materialism.
(b) A reaction against childhood idealism.
(c) A surplus of idealism.
(d) A form of world-weariness.
10. What was Bataille afraid of as a child?
(b) The Rain.
11. How would you describe the images Bataille presents?
12. What description fits with the "Acephale" group?
(a) Secret society.
(b) Literature brotherhood.
(c) Political underground.
(d) Community organizers.
13. Whom does Bataille refer to as untouchables in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
(a) The rich.
(b) The sovereign.
(c) The impoverished.
(d) The workers.
14. What effect do flowers have on love, in "The Language of Flowers"?
15. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
2. Whom does Bataille contrast to the sovereign in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
3. For what field did Bataille go to school?
4. When did George Bataille die?
5. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)