|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Bataille refer to as untouchables in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
(a) The sovereign.
(b) The rich.
(c) The impoverished.
(d) The workers.
2. What does the title of "The Solar Anus" refer to?
(a) The regeneration of the universe in stars that eat planets.
(b) The blinding effect of seeing a girl's anus.
(c) The passage out of purgatory.
(d) The source of all matter.
3. What did Breton call Bataille?
(a) A incremental writing whore.
(b) An excremental philosopher.
(c) A dubious genius.
(d) A prophet.
4. How did Leiris portray Bataille to Breton?
(a) As obsessed.
(b) As a genius.
(c) As a pornographer.
(d) As a prophet.
5. What was the subject of Bataille's first pamphlet?
(a) Praise of Cathedral Notre Dame des Reims.
(b) Criticism of his religion.
(c) Praise of his mother.
(d) Criticism of his father.
6. How does dialectic operate in "Notion of Expenditure"?
(a) It prevents revolution.
(b) It animates class struggle.
(c) It results from revolution.
(d) It pacifies the proletariat.
7. When did Bataille deny his faith?
8. What principles does Bataille say men associate with height in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Good and light.
(b) Trustworthiness and leadership.
(c) Power and danger.
(d) Strength and authority.
9. What principles does Bataille say men associate with the feet in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Evil and dark.
(b) Labor and evil.
(c) Powerlessness and subservience.
(d) Subversion and power.
10. What interrupts the road in "[Dream]"?
(a) Rats and vermin.
(d) Construction workers.
11. What does Bataille say coitus is associated with, in "The Solar Anus"?
12. What were Bataille's feelings for Breton?
13. What does standing upright do for man in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Hides his anus.
(b) Distorts his vision with unnatural ideas.
(c) Lets him see things clearer.
(d) Raises his head to the heavens.
14. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
(a) Affirming the position of the rich.
(b) Destroying the foundation of wealth.
(c) Attacking the inequalities in the economy.
(d) Devaluing the trappings of wealth.
15. In what piece of writing did Bataille record his childhood?
(a) The Eye.
(b) The Language of Flowers.
(c) The Lugubrious Game.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characterizes man in "The Eye"?
2. What does Bataille say the eye causes?
3. What effect do flowers have on love, in "The Language of Flowers"?
4. How does "The Language of Flowers" end?
5. Who arranged Bataille's psychoanalytic cure?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)