|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille say was the driving force beneath his heterodox theory?
(a) Oedipal terror.
(b) Obsession with excrement.
(c) Homoerotic terror.
(d) Obsession with priests.
2. What does the other self-mutilator (besides Van Gogh) do in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh"?
(a) Drink his own blood.
(b) Bite off his finger.
(c) Put out his eye.
(d) Cut off his hand.
3. What principles does Bataille say men associate with height in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Trustworthiness and leadership.
(b) Good and light.
(c) Power and danger.
(d) Strength and authority.
4. In whose hands does Bataille describe conspicuous consumption as a tool?
(a) The poor.
(b) The rich.
(c) The middle class.
(d) The intelligentsia.
5. What relationship between events and things is Bataille describing in "The Solar Anus"?
6. How does Bataille describe his father?
(a) Depressed and alcoholic.
(b) Blind, paralytic and syphilitic.
(c) Financially secure.
(d) Frequently ill and mentally unstable.
7. What does Bataille feel about the rats in "[Dream]"?
(a) The must be cleared out.
(b) They must be killed.
(c) They must be cleaned.
(d) They must be fed to snakes.
8. Who arranged Bataille's psychoanalytic cure?
(a) Dr. Rank.
(b) Dr. Dausse.
(c) Dr. Adler.
(d) Dr. Jung.
9. What description fits with the "Acephale" group?
(a) Community organizers.
(b) Political underground.
(c) Literature brotherhood.
(d) Secret society.
10. What interrupts the road in "[Dream]"?
(c) Construction workers.
(d) Rats and vermin.
11. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) A surplus of idealism.
(b) A childhood sickness of materialism.
(c) A form of world-weariness.
(d) A reaction against childhood idealism.
12. What does Bataille say the eye causes?
13. Where did Bataille go to school?
(a) Ecole des Beaux Artes.
(b) Lycée Henry IV.
(c) Lycée International.
(d) Ecole des Chartres.
14. Why did Bataille attack Nietzsche?
(a) For megalomania and failure of ideas.
(b) For going insane.
(c) For failing to embrace the decomposition of culture.
(d) For admiring Emerson.
15. What was the subject of Bataille's first pamphlet?
(a) Criticism of his religion.
(b) Praise of his mother.
(c) Praise of Cathedral Notre Dame des Reims.
(d) Criticism of his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bataille say about his book "W.C."?
2. What writer coined the term conspicuous consumption?
3. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
4. What were Bataille's feelings for Breton?
5. How does Bataille describe producing and selling in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)