|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Bataille born?
2. How long does Bataille ride his bicycle for in "[Dream]"?
(a) Until darkness descends.
(b) Until he finds his father.
(c) Until he wakes up.
(d) Until he falls.
3. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) As symbols for the experience and association of natural forms.
(b) As symbols of sacred abstraction.
(c) As primitive forms of the things themselves.
(d) As metaphors for other natural forms.
4. Where did Bataille go to school?
(a) Ecole des Chartres.
(b) Ecole des Beaux Artes.
(c) Lycée Henry IV.
(d) Lycée International.
5. How does Bataille describe his thinking in "Popular Front in the Street"?
(a) He said he could not escape from the logic of fascism.
(b) He said he had an indomitable democratic streak.
(c) He said he had a paradoxical fascist tendency.
(d) He said he worshiped the masses.
6. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
(a) Attacking the inequalities in the economy.
(b) Devaluing the trappings of wealth.
(c) Affirming the position of the rich.
(d) Destroying the foundation of wealth.
7. When did George Bataille die?
8. How do the rats appear in "[Dream]"?
(a) Crawling in ditches.
(b) Scratching in the walls.
(c) Swimming in the bilge.
(d) Hanging by their tails.
9. What was the subject of Bataille's first pamphlet?
(a) Praise of his mother.
(b) Criticism of his religion.
(c) Praise of Cathedral Notre Dame des Reims.
(d) Criticism of his father.
10. Where did "[Dream]" originate?
(a) In Bataille's childhood obsession with eyes.
(b) In Bataille's marriage.
(c) In Bataille's psychoanalysis.
(d) In Bataille's imagination.
11. How does Bataille describe his memory of his father pulling down his pants in "[Dream]"?
(a) Terrible and magnificent.
(d) Humiliating and painful.
12. How does Bataille describe producing and selling in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
(a) As excretory phases.
(b) As primitive phases.
(c) As revolutionary phases.
(d) As consumptive phases.
13. How does Bataille describe the mandrake root?
14. What characterizes man in "The Eye"?
(a) Longing for purity.
(b) Longing for sacrilege.
(c) Horror of eyes and insects.
(d) Desire for violence and violation.
15. Who arranged Bataille's psychoanalytic cure?
(a) Dr. Dausse.
(b) Dr. Jung.
(c) Dr. Rank.
(d) Dr. Adler.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
2. What principles does Bataille say men associate with the feet in "The Big Toe"?
3. Whom does Bataille contrast to the sovereign in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
4. What is the first stage of revolution, in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
5. When did Bataille publish "W.C."?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)