|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille compare roots to, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) Visible leaves.
(c) Human bodies.
2. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
(a) The attempt to translate sex into language.
(b) The attempt to rid one's thoughts of spiritualism.
(c) The desire to stop using language for natural functions.
(d) The attempt to free the eye from aesthetics.
3. What were Bataille's feelings for Breton?
4. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
(a) Two years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Fifteen months.
(d) Nine months.
5. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
(a) Bataille's writing.
(b) Surrealist writing.
(c) Anarchistic literature.
(d) Fascist rants.
6. How should materialism be disclaimed, in "Materialism"?
(a) By superseding idealism with dialogue.
(b) By including all idealism.
(c) By replacing idealism with matter.
(d) By excluding all idealism.
7. How does Bataille describe the mandrake root?
8. Who contributed to "Documents"?
(b) Rebel surrealists.
(c) Literary critics.
9. What do flowers witness, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) The reason for the plants' existence.
(b) The architectural order of fields and forests.
(c) Nothing but a moment in the life of the plant.
(d) The life and death of love.
10. Whom did Bataille join with to form the Popular Front?
11. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
(a) An eye of judgment.
(b) An eye of conscience.
(c) An eye of surveillance.
(d) An eye of longing.
12. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
13. What principles does Bataille say men associate with height in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Good and light.
(b) Trustworthiness and leadership.
(c) Strength and authority.
(d) Power and danger.
14. What writer coined the term conspicuous consumption?
15. What does Bataille claim the world is in "The Solar Anus"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does surrealism rebel at first, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
2. What was the subject of Bataille's first pamphlet?
3. When did Bataille and his mother abandon his father?
4. Who introduced Bataille to surrealism?
5. Whom does Bataille refer to as untouchables in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)