|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Bataille say about his book "W.C."?
(a) It was opposed to all dignity.
(b) It was a prophecy.
(c) It was going to destroy the world.
(d) It was execrable and shouldn't be published.
2. When did Bataille deny his faith?
3. What does Bataille say was the driving force beneath his heterodox theory?
(a) Homoerotic terror.
(b) Obsession with excrement.
(c) Oedipal terror.
(d) Obsession with priests.
4. When did Bataille publish "W.C."?
5. When was George Bataille born?
6. What two stances did Bataille combine?
(a) Sacrilege and holiness of religion.
(b) Merging and independence of men and women.
(c) Fulfillment and hollowing of man.
(d) Elevation and desecration of man.
7. What was Breton's response to Bataille?
(a) He condemned his pathological reasoning to the unreasonable.
(b) He lamented the absence of any real philosophy at the core of Bataille's writing.
(c) He praised the shocking images that would disturb the bourgeoisie.
(d) He refuted Bataille's arguments.
8. What was the "Acephale" group's primary purpose?
(a) To kill God.
(b) To come into contact with God in men.
(c) To recreate the myth of God.
(d) To annihilate the idea of God.
9. What principles does Bataille say men associate with the feet in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Labor and evil.
(b) Evil and dark.
(c) Subversion and power.
(d) Powerlessness and subservience.
10. What does Bataille say the eye causes?
11. How does Bataille describe producing and selling in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
(a) As consumptive phases.
(b) As primitive phases.
(c) As revolutionary phases.
(d) As excretory phases.
12. What form does Bataille take after being a boy in "[Dream]"?
(a) A priest.
(b) A butcher.
(c) A girl.
(d) An American gentleman.
13. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
(b) Sex play with eyeballs.
(c) Anal fixation.
(d) A brown smudge.
14. Whom did Bataille join with to form the Popular Front?
15. How would you describe the images Bataille presents?
Short Answer Questions
1. What critique does Bataille make in "The Critique of the Foundations of Hegelian Dialectic"?
2. In whose hands does Bataille describe conspicuous consumption as a tool?
3. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
4. Why did Bataille leave his job in 1942?
5. What did Breton call Bataille?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)