|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who introduced Bataille to surrealism?
(a) Joan Miro.
(b) Michael Leiris.
(c) Andre Breton.
(d) Marcel Duchamp.
2. Where did Bataille work until 1942?
(a) Ecole des Beaux Artes.
(b) The National Gallery in London.
(c) El Prado in Spain.
(d) Bibliotheque Nationale in Paris.
3. Why was Bataille annoyed while riding his bicycle?
(a) The schoolyard was fenced in.
(b) The house was too small for his turns.
(c) The pavement was broken up by streetcar tracks.
(d) The sand was slushy with high tide.
4. For what field did Bataille go to school?
(c) Renaissance art critic.
(d) Medieval librarian.
5. What does Bataille remember his father spanking him with in "[Dream]"?
(a) A stick.
(b) A belt.
(c) A whip.
(d) A bloody toad.
6. What flower is Marquis de Sade plucking petals off, at the end of "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) A lily.
(b) A carnation.
(c) A daisy.
(d) A rose.
7. What are flowers not matched by, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) The work of bees.
(b) The corrupt hands that pick them.
(c) A show of human love.
(d) The purity of the sunshine.
8. Who contributed to "Documents"?
(a) Literary critics.
(b) Rebel surrealists.
9. What is the first stage of revolution, in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
(a) Staking a claim to a new kind of authority.
(b) Appropriating the language with which groups claim power.
(c) Expelling a group from power.
(d) Portraying your revolution as a utopian project destined to succeed.
10. When did Bataille deny his faith?
11. What does Bataille say the eye causes?
12. What does Bataille claim the world is in "The Solar Anus"?
13. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
(a) The attempt to rid one's thoughts of spiritualism.
(b) The attempt to translate sex into language.
(c) The attempt to free the eye from aesthetics.
(d) The desire to stop using language for natural functions.
14. How does Bataille describe his thinking in "Popular Front in the Street"?
(a) He said he had an indomitable democratic streak.
(b) He said he worshiped the masses.
(c) He said he had a paradoxical fascist tendency.
(d) He said he could not escape from the logic of fascism.
15. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
(a) Trying to bite.
(b) Eating each other.
(d) Eating garbage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
2. When did Bataille form the Popular Front?
3. What effect do flowers have on love, in "The Language of Flowers"?
4. What do volcanoes serve as, in "The Solar Anus"?
5. When was George Bataille born?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)