|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bataille describe his work?
2. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
3. What was Bataille afraid of as a child?
(b) The Rain.
4. When was George Bataille born?
5. When did George Bataille die?
6. How do the rats appear in "[Dream]"?
(a) Crawling in ditches.
(b) Swimming in the bilge.
(c) Hanging by their tails.
(d) Scratching in the walls.
7. How does Bataille describe producing and selling in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
(a) As consumptive phases.
(b) As primitive phases.
(c) As excretory phases.
(d) As revolutionary phases.
8. What does Bataille say his father looked like in "[Dream]"?
(a) A star.
(b) A vulture.
(c) A toad.
(d) A house.
9. How does Bataille describe his father?
(a) Depressed and alcoholic.
(b) Frequently ill and mentally unstable.
(c) Blind, paralytic and syphilitic.
(d) Financially secure.
10. When was "Acephale" published?
(a) 1942 to 1946.
(b) 1931 to 1944.
(c) 1933 to 1937.
(d) 1936 to 1939.
11. In what piece of writing did Bataille record his childhood?
(a) The Lugubrious Game.
(c) The Language of Flowers.
(d) The Eye.
12. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
(a) The attempt to rid one's thoughts of spiritualism.
(b) The attempt to translate sex into language.
(c) The desire to stop using language for natural functions.
(d) The attempt to free the eye from aesthetics.
13. What feeling does Bataille exaggerate in "The Lugubrious Game"?
14. What does Bataille remember his father spanking him with in "[Dream]"?
(a) A bloody toad.
(b) A stick.
(c) A belt.
(d) A whip.
15. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) A surplus of idealism.
(b) A form of world-weariness.
(c) A childhood sickness of materialism.
(d) A reaction against childhood idealism.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bataille describe the mandrake root?
2. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
3. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
4. When did Bataille publish "W.C."?
5. How would you describe the images Bataille presents?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)