|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was George Bataille born?
2. Who introduced Bataille to surrealism?
(a) Andre Breton.
(b) Michael Leiris.
(c) Marcel Duchamp.
(d) Joan Miro.
3. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
(a) The desire to stop using language for natural functions.
(b) The attempt to rid one's thoughts of spiritualism.
(c) The attempt to translate sex into language.
(d) The attempt to free the eye from aesthetics.
4. What is the benefit Bataille sees to having more than one meaning in his work?
(a) It demonstrates the impossibility of truth.
(b) It keeps the reader uncomfortable.
(c) It gives a clearer statement of his thought.
(d) It keeps all Bataille's options open.
5. Why did Bataille attack Nietzsche?
(a) For failing to embrace the decomposition of culture.
(b) For going insane.
(c) For admiring Emerson.
(d) For megalomania and failure of ideas.
6. How did Leiris portray Bataille to Breton?
(a) As a pornographer.
(b) As a prophet.
(c) As obsessed.
(d) As a genius.
7. How would you describe the images Bataille presents?
8. What film does Bataille cite in "The Eye"?
(a) The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.
(b) L'Age d'Or.
(c) Andalusian Dog.
(d) That Obscure Object of Desire.
9. Who contributed to "Documents"?
(a) Rebel surrealists.
(b) Literary critics.
10. How did Bataille rebel against his father?
(a) By quitting school.
(b) By running away from home.
(c) By becoming a Protestant.
(d) By taking lovers.
11. What did Breton call Bataille?
(a) A dubious genius.
(b) An excremental philosopher.
(c) A prophet.
(d) A incremental writing whore.
12. How do the rats appear in "[Dream]"?
(a) Hanging by their tails.
(b) Scratching in the walls.
(c) Crawling in ditches.
(d) Swimming in the bilge.
13. When did Bataille and his mother abandon his father?
(a) When the mother took a job in Paris.
(b) When the father went insane.
(c) When the father was imprisoned.
(d) When the Germans arrived in 1915.
14. Where did Bataille go to school?
(a) Lycée International.
(b) Ecole des Chartres.
(c) Lycée Henry IV.
(d) Ecole des Beaux Artes.
15. What relationship between events and things is Bataille describing in "The Solar Anus"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bataille describe the Mithraic cult ritual of the sun in "Rotten Sun"?
2. What characterizes man in "The Eye"?
3. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
4. How does "The Language of Flowers" end?
5. What principles does Bataille say men associate with height in "The Big Toe"?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)