|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did the Popular Front join with?
(a) Communists and Socialists.
(b) Fascists and totalitarians.
(c) Bureaucrats and Communists.
(d) Democrats and Socialist Democrats.
2. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
(a) Sex play with eyeballs.
(b) A brown smudge.
(c) Anal fixation.
3. What does Bataille describe in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
(a) How Marx's dialectic method was developed.
(b) How Hegel's dialectic method inspired revolutions.
(c) How Marx's dialectic method was critiqued.
(d) How Marx's dialectic method was misinterpreted.
4. What does Bataille describe as the only truly liberating act?
(b) Revolutionary destruction.
5. What effect do flowers have on love, in "The Language of Flowers"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
2. What are flowers not matched by, in "The Language of Flowers"?
3. Why was it a mistake for Bataille to use his intellectual violence on Breton?
4. When does an obelisk cease to be meaningful?
5. Why is classical utility theory inadequate, in Bataille's opinion?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)