|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille describe as the only truly liberating act?
(b) Revolutionary destruction.
2. Who is Elisabeth Judas-Forster?
(a) Bataille's girlfriend.
(b) Andre Masson's lover.
(c) Nietzsche's sister.
(d) A critic of Bataille's.
3. Where did Bataille work until 1942?
(a) Ecole des Beaux Artes.
(b) The National Gallery in London.
(c) Bibliotheque Nationale in Paris.
(d) El Prado in Spain.
4. What interrupts the road in "[Dream]"?
(a) Rats and vermin.
(d) Construction workers.
5. What does Bataille say about meaning in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?
(a) Things can only have meaning if there is a consensus about them.
(b) Things cannot have meaning unless they are historical realities.
(c) Things can only have meaning if they motivate actions.
(d) Things can only have meaning when they are fictitious.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two stances did Bataille combine?
2. What is classical utility theory inadequate to define, in Bataille's opinion?
3. What does Bataille say money measures, in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
4. What did fascism use Nietzsche's writing to oppose?
5. What was Nietzsche's life dominated by, in Bataille's account?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)