|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bataille describe his thinking in "Popular Front in the Street"?
(a) He said he had an indomitable democratic streak.
(b) He said he had a paradoxical fascist tendency.
(c) He said he could not escape from the logic of fascism.
(d) He said he worshiped the masses.
2. How do men express their 'being', in "The Labyrinth"?
(a) By accepting the duality of their nature.
(b) By struggling for unreachable satisfactions.
(c) By attaining their goals.
(d) By rebelling against themselves constantly.
3. What flower is Marquis de Sade plucking petals off, at the end of "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) A daisy.
(b) A carnation.
(c) A lily.
(d) A rose.
4. What does Bataille say scientists said about the dialectic?
(a) It was a matter of faith.
(b) It was the one true science.
(c) It was incompatible with science.
(d) It was demonstrated in evolution.
5. What principles does Bataille say men associate with the feet in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Subversion and power.
(b) Powerlessness and subservience.
(c) Labor and evil.
(d) Evil and dark.
Short Answer Questions
1. How should materialism be disclaimed, in "Materialism"?
2. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
3. What is the first stage of revolution, in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
4. What does Bataille describe as the only truly liberating act?
5. When did Bataille and his mother abandon his father?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)