|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bataille describe his memory of his father pulling down his pants in "[Dream]"?
(a) Humiliating and painful.
(b) Terrible and magnificent.
2. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
(a) An eye of conscience.
(b) An eye of longing.
(c) An eye of judgment.
(d) An eye of surveillance.
3. What does Bataille say the world offers modern man to love?
(a) God and religion.
(b) Nothing beyond self-interest.
(c) A society to be assumed.
(d) The progress of capitalism to communism.
4. Where did Bataille work until 1942?
(a) Ecole des Beaux Artes.
(b) Bibliotheque Nationale in Paris.
(c) The National Gallery in London.
(d) El Prado in Spain.
5. How is the question of 'what exists compared to what appears' resolved, in "Sacrifices"?
(a) By answering what is required to exist for moral value.
(b) By accepting the duality of latent and manifest action.
(c) By unraveling the mystery of language.
(d) By moving beyond questions of present and past.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille claim the world is in "The Solar Anus"?
2. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
3. Where does Bataille recall riding his bicycle in Reims, in "[Dream]"?
4. How do men express their 'being', in "The Labyrinth"?
5. What type of men's 'being' does Bataille compare in "The Labyrinth"?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)