|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the question of 'what exists compared to what appears' resolved, in "Sacrifices"?
(a) By answering what is required to exist for moral value.
(b) By unraveling the mystery of language.
(c) By moving beyond questions of present and past.
(d) By accepting the duality of latent and manifest action.
2. When did Bataille publish "W.C."?
3. How does Bataille describe the Mithraic cult ritual of the sun in "Rotten Sun"?
(a) A priest stares into the sun to have a vision.
(b) A worshiper puts out a priest's eye.
(c) A priest spatters a bull's blood on worshipers underneath.
(d) A priest cuts a victim's throat on an altar.
4. What writer coined the term conspicuous consumption?
5. What did Bataille intend to define "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
(a) Dialectic philosophy.
(b) Dialectic aesthetics.
(c) Dialectic politics.
(d) Dialectic limits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille compare roots to, in "The Language of Flowers"?
2. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
3. What did Hegel claim about nature?
4. How did Bataille rebel against his father?
5. What does Bataille's 'me in the void' realize in "Sacrifices"?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)