|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feeling does Bataille say grows in response to revolutionaries?
2. Where does fascism originate?
(a) Among the poor who have nothing to establish power.
(b) Among the rich who are threatened by an outside group.
(c) Among the middle classes who want to control the proletariat.
(d) Among the workers who seize control of the means of production.
3. How does surrealism rebel at first, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) With all-out deformation of images.
(b) With all the proletarians.
(c) Without the lower classes.
(d) With subtle disorientation of meaning.
4. From what does Bataille say Alfred Baumler distilled a doctrine of the people's will to power?
(a) Nietzschean metaphor.
(b) Nietzschean contradiction.
(c) Nietzschean politics.
(d) Nietzschean religion.
5. What does Bataille say the theory of conspicuous consumption is used for?
(a) Melting different cultures together in America.
(b) Preserving segregation between rich and poor.
(c) Giving the poor opportunities.
(d) Keeping the poor weak.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Bataille annoyed while riding his bicycle?
2. What does Bataille say pyramids ensure?
3. What critique does Bataille make in "The Critique of the Foundations of Hegelian Dialectic"?
4. What does standing upright do for man in "The Big Toe"?
5. What is the significance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)