|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first stage of revolution, in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
(a) Portraying your revolution as a utopian project destined to succeed.
(b) Staking a claim to a new kind of authority.
(c) Expelling a group from power.
(d) Appropriating the language with which groups claim power.
2. How is the question of 'what exists compared to what appears' resolved, in "Sacrifices"?
(a) By accepting the duality of latent and manifest action.
(b) By moving beyond questions of present and past.
(c) By unraveling the mystery of language.
(d) By answering what is required to exist for moral value.
3. What do volcanoes serve as, in "The Solar Anus"?
(b) Mother earth's breasts.
(c) The earth's anus.
(d) God's mouths.
4. What does Bataille say democracy is based on?
(a) Open debate.
(b) Free speech.
(c) Free elections.
(d) A weak opposition.
5. What film does Bataille cite in "The Eye"?
(a) Andalusian Dog.
(b) That Obscure Object of Desire.
(c) L'Age d'Or.
(d) The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille describe as the only truly liberating act?
2. What tone did Andre Masson establish in his drawings?
3. What does Bataille say the world offers modern man to love?
4. What does Bataille define as a way to humiliate, defy, or obligate a poorer person as a show of destruction of wealth?
5. What does Bataille say his father looked like in "[Dream]"?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)