|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What results from acting in specialized areas, in Bataille's opinion in "The Labyrinth"?
(a) Man conquers the universe in its details.
(b) Man loses his innocence.
(c) Man becomes a specialist.
(d) Man is impoverished.
2. Who arranged Bataille's psychoanalytic cure?
(a) Dr. Adler.
(b) Dr. Jung.
(c) Dr. Dausse.
(d) Dr. Rank.
3. What was Bataille summing up in his "Propositions"?
(a) His thoughts on modern culture.
(b) His thoughts on sex and perversity in modern life.
(c) His thoughts on the death of God.
(d) His thoughts on Nietzschean metaphysics.
4. How did fascists see Nietzsche?
(a) As a prosecutor.
(b) As a martyr.
(c) As a traitor.
(d) As a primary ancestor.
5. When does an obelisk cease to be meaningful?
(a) When the political party that built it is voted out.
(b) As soon as the authority it symbolizes becomes conscious.
(c) When the people have more important needs.
(d) When the military leader who erected it dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tone did Andre Masson establish in his drawings?
2. What does Bataille remember his father spanking him with in "[Dream]"?
3. What does Bataille say is analogous to the maternal breast?
4. What does Bataille say pyramids ensure?
5. What principles does Bataille say men associate with height in "The Big Toe"?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)