|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Bataille ride his bicycle for in "[Dream]"?
(a) Until he falls.
(b) Until he finds his father.
(c) Until darkness descends.
(d) Until he wakes up.
2. How did Bataille rebel against his father?
(a) By becoming a Protestant.
(b) By quitting school.
(c) By taking lovers.
(d) By running away from home.
3. How does "The Language of Flowers" end?
(a) With Count Leopold von Sacher-Masoch putting out a priest's eye.
(b) With a girl being sent away to school.
(c) With Sade tossing flower petals into a ditch of manure.
(d) With students strangling a young woman.
4. What does Bataille say Nietzschean pride comes from?
(a) The power of language and the chaos of experience.
(b) The need for individuality in times when individuality is impossible.
(c) The desire for personal power but not for social power.
(d) Life's disintegration and the will to power.
5. What strategy does Surrealism use for presenting images?
(a) Images are piled on, one after another.
(b) Opposite images are contrasted.
(c) Layers of each image are stripped away until the essential truth is apparent.
(d) The images are distorted beyond recognition.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say the theory of conspicuous consumption is used for?
2. How does Bataille describe his work?
3. What did fascism use Nietzsche's writing to oppose?
4. When was "Acephale" published?
5. What does Bataille describe in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)