|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What claim does Bataille make in "The Obelisk"?
(a) That fascism is centered on the monuments it builds to itself.
(b) That nationalism is never carved in stone.
(c) That the past always has to be imported from elsewhere.
(d) That there is no mystery in the world of spirit.
2. What does Bataille say poor people cannot stop rich people from doing?
(a) Wasting resources.
(b) Buying influence.
(c) Eluding prosecution for crimes.
(d) Helping the poor.
3. What characterizes man in "The Eye"?
(a) Longing for purity.
(b) Longing for sacrilege.
(c) Desire for violence and violation.
(d) Horror of eyes and insects.
4. Who introduced Bataille to surrealism?
(a) Andre Breton.
(b) Marcel Duchamp.
(c) Michael Leiris.
(d) Joan Miro.
5. How long does Bataille ride his bicycle for in "[Dream]"?
(a) Until darkness descends.
(b) Until he wakes up.
(c) Until he finds his father.
(d) Until he falls.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who contributed to "Documents"?
2. How does "The Language of Flowers" end?
3. What does Bataille describe in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
4. What was the purpose of the Popular Front, in Bataille's account?
5. Who is Elisabeth Judas-Forster?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)