|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was it a mistake for Bataille to use his intellectual violence on Breton?
(a) Breton ruined Bataille in revenge.
(b) Breton might have promoted it.
(c) Breton's friends excommunicated Bataille from the surrealist circles.
(d) Bataille lost friends over the gratuitous attack.
2. What did professor Hartmann dispute about the treatment of the Marx/Hegel dialectic?
(a) He objects that it is only applicable in certain cases.
(b) He objects that it is not a law of reality.
(c) He objects that it is based on pseudo-science.
(d) He objects that it is not grounded in political science.
3. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
(a) Two years.
(b) Fifteen months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Nine months.
4. What was the essay "Sacrifices" used as?
(a) A personal essay.
(b) A review.
(c) As a preface.
(d) A criticism.
5. What feeling does Bataille say grows in response to revolutionaries?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bataille intend to define "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
2. For what field did Bataille go to school?
3. Who is the audience for "The Practice of Joy before Death"?
4. What does the homogeneous part of society purchase?
5. How does surrealism rebel at first, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)