|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of men's 'being' does Bataille compare in "The Labyrinth"?
(a) A man and a woman.
(b) An important man and a wanderer.
(c) A worker and a sovereign.
(d) A worker and a store-keeper.
2. What claim does Bataille make in "The Obelisk"?
(a) That fascism is centered on the monuments it builds to itself.
(b) That there is no mystery in the world of spirit.
(c) That nationalism is never carved in stone.
(d) That the past always has to be imported from elsewhere.
3. What was Nietzsche's life dominated by, in Bataille's account?
(a) Obsession with a lost world.
(b) Aggression toward the social world.
(c) Puzzles in which he could see the nature of society.
(d) Stifled affection for a woman.
4. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
(a) Anal fixation.
(b) A brown smudge.
(c) Sex play with eyeballs.
5. What does Bataille feel about the rats in "[Dream]"?
(a) They must be cleaned.
(b) The must be cleared out.
(c) They must be killed.
(d) They must be fed to snakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bataille describe the Mithraic cult ritual of the sun in "Rotten Sun"?
2. How does Bataille describe the mandrake root?
3. What does Bataille say is the only religion for fascists?
4. What does Bataille say Nietzsche questions?
5. Where did "[Dream]" originate?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)