|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille compare roots to, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(b) Human bodies.
(d) Visible leaves.
2. What effect do flowers have on love, in "The Language of Flowers"?
3. What does Bataille say man demanded of the earth?
(a) Productivity on the earth.
(b) Consolation below the earth.
(c) Necessity above the universe.
4. What interrupts the road in "[Dream]"?
(b) Rats and vermin.
(c) Construction workers.
5. What does Bataille describe in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
(a) How Marx's dialectic method was misinterpreted.
(b) How Hegel's dialectic method inspired revolutions.
(c) How Marx's dialectic method was developed.
(d) How Marx's dialectic method was critiqued.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say the theory of conspicuous consumption is used for?
2. How does Bataille describe producing and selling in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
3. Why is classical utility theory inadequate, in Bataille's opinion?
4. Where did Engels look for examples to test the dialectic method of Marx and Hegel?
5. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)