|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Nietzsche's relationship with fascism, in Bataille's account?
(a) He claimed to be a prophet of a culture of power.
(b) He was active in opposition to it.
(c) He was active in support of it.
(d) He was opposed to political parties.
2. What does homogeneity depend on?
(a) Continual revolution.
(b) A productive system.
(c) Owners keeping the workers down.
(d) Workers owning the means of production.
3. When did George Bataille die?
4. What did Hegel claim about nature?
(a) That it was the human soul externalized.
(b) That it was motivated by the Oversoul.
(c) That it contained the world-spirit.
(d) That it was unreasonable.
5. What does Bataille describe in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
(a) How Marx's dialectic method was developed.
(b) How Marx's dialectic method was critiqued.
(c) How Hegel's dialectic method inspired revolutions.
(d) How Marx's dialectic method was misinterpreted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bataille and Andre Masson dream about as Bataille was writing "The Labyrinth"?
2. How does bourgeois society enslave and degrade poor men, in Bataille's opinion?
3. What does the mole stand for in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
4. What did Bataille write while he was working?
5. What does Bataille say pyramids ensure?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)