|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What aspect of the Marx/Hegel dialectic did professor Hartmann test?
(a) Diagnostic accuracy.
(b) Descriptive accuracy.
2. Under whom does fascism unite society, in Bataille's account?
(a) A leader who identifies with the state.
(b) A leader who represents the aristocratic self.
(c) A leader who identifies with the individual everyman.
(d) A leader who represents the lower common denominator of society.
3. How should materialism be disclaimed, in "Materialism"?
(a) By excluding all idealism.
(b) By replacing idealism with matter.
(c) By including all idealism.
(d) By superseding idealism with dialogue.
4. What was the purpose of the Popular Front, in Bataille's account?
(a) To oppose Hitler.
(b) To overthrow the Vichy government.
(c) To oppose immigrants in France.
(d) To oppose fascism in France.
5. What was Bataille being punished for in "[Dream]"?
(a) Seeing his parents naked.
(b) Playing with a hoop.
(c) Wetting himself.
(d) Staying up too late.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the title of "The Solar Anus" refer to?
2. What does Bataille say about the knife whose handle and blade are changed indefinitely?
3. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
4. What does Bataille say dominates history in "Popular Front in the Street"?
5. What film does Bataille cite in "The Eye"?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)