|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the title of "The Solar Anus" refer to?
(a) The passage out of purgatory.
(b) The blinding effect of seeing a girl's anus.
(c) The regeneration of the universe in stars that eat planets.
(d) The source of all matter.
2. What does Bataille describe as a symptom of cultural crisis?
(a) Technological incompetence.
(b) Outrageous profits.
(c) Administrative impudence.
(d) Bureaucratic regulation.
3. How should materialism be disclaimed, in "Materialism"?
(a) By including all idealism.
(b) By superseding idealism with dialogue.
(c) By excluding all idealism.
(d) By replacing idealism with matter.
4. What results from acting in specialized areas, in Bataille's opinion in "The Labyrinth"?
(a) Man conquers the universe in its details.
(b) Man becomes a specialist.
(c) Man is impoverished.
(d) Man loses his innocence.
5. Why is classical utility theory inadequate, in Bataille's opinion?
(a) Utility theory is not compatible with the Marxist imperative of class revolution.
(b) Utility theory relies on principles like honor and duty.
(c) Utility theory disregards values like honor and virtue.
(d) Utility theory mystifies economics with talk of revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of the Marx/Hegel dialectic did professor Hartmann test?
2. What does Bataille describe as the only truly liberating act?
3. What happens when political action leads to nothing, in "The Sacred Conspiracy"?
4. What are flowers not matched by, in "The Language of Flowers"?
5. How did Leiris portray Bataille to Breton?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)