|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kinds of expenditure does artistic production require?
(a) Patron or market expenditure.
(b) Public or patron expenditure.
(c) Religious or secular expenditure.
(d) Real or symbolic expenditure.
2. Who contributed to "Documents"?
(b) Rebel surrealists.
(d) Literary critics.
3. What was Bataille being punished for in "[Dream]"?
(a) Seeing his parents naked.
(b) Wetting himself.
(c) Playing with a hoop.
(d) Staying up too late.
4. What is the significance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
(a) It organizes space by looming over it.
(b) It stands for the sovereign.
(c) It represents the ruling party.
(d) It represents captured glory.
5. What did Engels work for eight years to develop, but ultimately disavow?
(a) A dialectics of mathematics.
(b) A dialectics of religion.
(c) A dialectics of nature.
(d) A dialectics of manufacturing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the homogeneous part of society purchase?
2. What was Bataille summing up in his "Propositions"?
3. Which of the following does Bataille NOT use as an example of unproductive expenditure without value beyond itself?
4. What was the "Acephale" group's primary purpose?
5. Who introduced Bataille to surrealism?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)