|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Nietzsche's life dominated by, in Bataille's account?
(a) Aggression toward the social world.
(b) Obsession with a lost world.
(c) Stifled affection for a woman.
(d) Puzzles in which he could see the nature of society.
2. How does Bataille describe the mandrake root?
3. What creatures' 'being' does Bataille compare in "The Labyrinth"?
(a) Man and dog.
(b) Snake and sponge.
(c) Bird and dog.
(d) Dog and sponge.
4. What does Bataille say pyramids ensure?
(a) Glory for the monarchs inside them.
(b) Eternal life.
(c) The eternally egalitarian nature of death.
(d) Limitless sky on earth.
5. What does Bataille say the world offers modern man to love?
(a) God and religion.
(b) Nothing beyond self-interest.
(c) A society to be assumed.
(d) The progress of capitalism to communism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille remember his father spanking him with in "[Dream]"?
2. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
3. Where does Bataille recall riding his bicycle in Reims, in "[Dream]"?
4. What are flowers not matched by, in "The Language of Flowers"?
5. What were Bataille's feelings for Breton?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)