|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does dialectic operate in "Notion of Expenditure"?
(a) It animates class struggle.
(b) It pacifies the proletariat.
(c) It results from revolution.
(d) It prevents revolution.
2. Why was Bataille annoyed while riding his bicycle?
(a) The sand was slushy with high tide.
(b) The pavement was broken up by streetcar tracks.
(c) The schoolyard was fenced in.
(d) The house was too small for his turns.
3. What is the significance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
(a) It represents the ruling party.
(b) It stands for the sovereign.
(c) It represents captured glory.
(d) It organizes space by looming over it.
4. What does Bataille say about the knife whose handle and blade are changed indefinitely?
(a) It is no longer the same knife.
(b) It is a capitalist knife, with its value in its use alone.
(c) It is a modern knife, with replaceable parts.
(d) It partakes of the eternal form of knife-ness.
5. What is the benefit Bataille sees to having more than one meaning in his work?
(a) It keeps all Bataille's options open.
(b) It keeps the reader uncomfortable.
(c) It gives a clearer statement of his thought.
(d) It demonstrates the impossibility of truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was it a mistake for Bataille to use his intellectual violence on Breton?
2. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
3. How did fascists see Nietzsche?
4. What was the essay "Sacrifices" used as?
5. What does Bataille describe as the only truly liberating act?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)