|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bataille describe his thinking in "Popular Front in the Street"?
(a) He said he had a paradoxical fascist tendency.
(b) He said he had an indomitable democratic streak.
(c) He said he worshiped the masses.
(d) He said he could not escape from the logic of fascism.
2. What relationship between events and things is Bataille describing in "The Solar Anus"?
3. What relationship do the writings in Section II have to the writings in Section I?
(a) They were unrelated.
(b) They were implicit in them.
(c) They were unprecedented.
(d) They were logical extensions.
4. What writer coined the term conspicuous consumption?
5. How does dialectic operate in "Notion of Expenditure"?
(a) It prevents revolution.
(b) It pacifies the proletariat.
(c) It animates class struggle.
(d) It results from revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. What claim does Bataille discuss in "The Deviations of Nature"?
2. What kinds of expenditure does artistic production require?
3. When does an obelisk cease to be meaningful?
4. What approaches to Hegel's philosophy did Nicolai Hartmann compare?
5. How does Bataille describe his work?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)