|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille describe as the result of individuals asking critical questions, in "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
(a) The emergence of civilization.
(b) Religious persecution.
(c) Decomposition of civilization.
(d) The development of high society.
2. How does bourgeois society enslave and degrade poor men, in Bataille's opinion?
(a) By forcing them to compete with machines.
(b) By preventing them getting medical attention.
(c) By showering them with goods.
(d) By keeping them poor.
3. What critique does Bataille make in "The Critique of the Foundations of Hegelian Dialectic"?
(a) He mocks Marx and Engels for their idealism.
(b) He criticizes the Oversoul as a childish fantasy.
(c) He demonstrated why dialectical materialism is inevitable.
(d) He frees dialectical negation from Engels' mechanical abstraction.
4. Where does fascism originate?
(a) Among the middle classes who want to control the proletariat.
(b) Among the rich who are threatened by an outside group.
(c) Among the poor who have nothing to establish power.
(d) Among the workers who seize control of the means of production.
5. What happens when political action leads to nothing, in "The Sacred Conspiracy"?
(a) The government will dissolve.
(b) New political parties will form.
(c) Enthusiasm meets a void.
(d) The people will revolt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What creatures' 'being' does Bataille compare in "The Labyrinth"?
2. When did George Bataille die?
3. What results from acting in specialized areas, in Bataille's opinion in "The Labyrinth"?
4. Whom does Bataille contrast to the sovereign in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
5. What does the mole stand for in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)