|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille say about monsters in "The Deviations of Nature"?
(a) That they represent the opposite of geometric regularity of form.
(b) That they are projections out of the ugliest part of humanity.
(c) That they are necessary to keep people in line.
(d) That they are the best place to gain insight into people's feelings about themselves.
2. How does Bataille describe his work?
3. How did Engels and Hartmann differ on the tenets of Hegel's "Philosophy of Nature"?
(a) Engels believed them, but Hartmann was indifferent.
(b) Engels believed them, but Hartmann did not.
(c) Engels did not believe them, but Hartmann did.
(d) Engels was indifferent to them, but Hartmann did not believe them.
4. Who introduced Bataille to surrealism?
(a) Michael Leiris.
(b) Joan Miro.
(c) Marcel Duchamp.
(d) Andre Breton.
5. When did Bataille form the Popular Front?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the essay "Sacrifices" used as?
2. How does Bataille describe his father?
3. What does Bataille feel about the rats in "[Dream]"?
4. Where was Bataille born?
5. What did professor Hartmann dispute about the treatment of the Marx/Hegel dialectic?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)