|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relationship between events and things is Bataille describing in "The Solar Anus"?
2. When does an obelisk cease to be meaningful?
(a) When the political party that built it is voted out.
(b) When the military leader who erected it dies.
(c) As soon as the authority it symbolizes becomes conscious.
(d) When the people have more important needs.
3. What are the two classes Bataille divides consumption into?
(a) Productive consumption and wasteful consumption.
(b) Sacrificial consumption and gift consumption.
(c) Conspicuous consumption and invisible consumption.
(d) Conservation of life and productive activity.
4. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
(a) Two years.
(b) Nine months.
(c) Fifteen months.
(d) Six months.
5. What was Bataille being punished for in "[Dream]"?
(a) Playing with a hoop.
(b) Wetting himself.
(c) Staying up too late.
(d) Seeing his parents naked.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Nietzsche's relationship with fascism, in Bataille's account?
2. Who introduced Bataille to surrealism?
3. What does Baumler call revolution?
4. Who is Elisabeth Judas-Forster?
5. Why did Bataille leave his job in 1942?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)