|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the question of 'what exists compared to what appears' resolved, in "Sacrifices"?
(a) By moving beyond questions of present and past.
(b) By accepting the duality of latent and manifest action.
(c) By answering what is required to exist for moral value.
(d) By unraveling the mystery of language.
2. What does Bataille say about the knife whose handle and blade are changed indefinitely?
(a) It is a capitalist knife, with its value in its use alone.
(b) It is no longer the same knife.
(c) It partakes of the eternal form of knife-ness.
(d) It is a modern knife, with replaceable parts.
3. What value does money articulate for workers?
(a) The value of their status.
(b) The value of what they produce.
(c) The value of their personal worth.
(d) The value of their ideas.
4. What did Bataille intend to define "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
(a) Dialectic philosophy.
(b) Dialectic limits.
(c) Dialectic aesthetics.
(d) Dialectic politics.
5. How did Bataille relate to Andre Masson's drawings?
(a) He saw himself as the lines and the paper themselves.
(b) He saw himself as the entire cosmos.
(c) He saw himself as the sick man.
(d) He saw himself as the self in flight.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what does Bataille say Alfred Baumler distilled a doctrine of the people's will to power?
2. What did Engels work for eight years to develop, but ultimately disavow?
3. What does Bataille describe as a symptom of cultural crisis?
4. What does Bataille say is the only religion for fascists?
5. How does bourgeois society enslave and degrade poor men, in Bataille's opinion?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)