|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) As symbols for the experience and association of natural forms.
(b) As metaphors for other natural forms.
(c) As symbols of sacred abstraction.
(d) As primitive forms of the things themselves.
2. What did Bataille and Andre Masson dream about as Bataille was writing "The Labyrinth"?
(a) An obscene dream they could never publish.
(b) A dream they were expressing in drawings.
(c) A dream they could not own.
(d) A dream they were setting to music.
3. What happens when political action leads to nothing, in "The Sacred Conspiracy"?
(a) The government will dissolve.
(b) New political parties will form.
(c) The people will revolt.
(d) Enthusiasm meets a void.
4. What creatures' 'being' does Bataille compare in "The Labyrinth"?
(a) Dog and sponge.
(b) Snake and sponge.
(c) Man and dog.
(d) Bird and dog.
5. What does Bataille say poor people cannot stop rich people from doing?
(a) Buying influence.
(b) Wasting resources.
(c) Eluding prosecution for crimes.
(d) Helping the poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Bataille publish "W.C."?
2. What feeling does Bataille exaggerate in "The Lugubrious Game"?
3. What does Bataille say money measures, in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
4. What was Nietzsche's life dominated by, in Bataille's account?
5. What does Bataille say was the driving force beneath his heterodox theory?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)