|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does "The Language of Flowers" end?
(a) With Count Leopold von Sacher-Masoch putting out a priest's eye.
(b) With Sade tossing flower petals into a ditch of manure.
(c) With students strangling a young woman.
(d) With a girl being sent away to school.
2. How do men express their 'being', in "The Labyrinth"?
(a) By attaining their goals.
(b) By struggling for unreachable satisfactions.
(c) By accepting the duality of their nature.
(d) By rebelling against themselves constantly.
3. With whose picture does Bataille say Nietzsche's picture was paired?
(c) Lou Andreas-Salomé's.
4. Who is Elisabeth Judas-Forster?
(a) Bataille's girlfriend.
(b) A critic of Bataille's.
(c) Nietzsche's sister.
(d) Andre Masson's lover.
5. What does Bataille say about meaning in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?
(a) Things can only have meaning when they are fictitious.
(b) Things can only have meaning if there is a consensus about them.
(c) Things can only have meaning if they motivate actions.
(d) Things cannot have meaning unless they are historical realities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What claim does Bataille make in "The Obelisk"?
2. What interrupts the road in "[Dream]"?
3. Whom does Bataille contrast to the sovereign in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
4. What claim does Bataille discuss in "The Deviations of Nature"?
5. What does the cross demand, at the end of "Sacrifices"?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)