|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interrupts the road in "[Dream]"?
(b) Rats and vermin.
(c) Construction workers.
2. What claim does Bataille make in "The Obelisk"?
(a) That there is no mystery in the world of spirit.
(b) That nationalism is never carved in stone.
(c) That fascism is centered on the monuments it builds to itself.
(d) That the past always has to be imported from elsewhere.
3. What critique does Bataille make in "The Critique of the Foundations of Hegelian Dialectic"?
(a) He demonstrated why dialectical materialism is inevitable.
(b) He frees dialectical negation from Engels' mechanical abstraction.
(c) He criticizes the Oversoul as a childish fantasy.
(d) He mocks Marx and Engels for their idealism.
4. What movement does Bataille say in "The Sacred" was heir to Vincent Van Gogh and Rimbaud?
5. How does Bataille describe the Mithraic cult ritual of the sun in "Rotten Sun"?
(a) A priest spatters a bull's blood on worshipers underneath.
(b) A worshiper puts out a priest's eye.
(c) A priest stares into the sun to have a vision.
(d) A priest cuts a victim's throat on an altar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Nietzsche's relationship with fascism, in Bataille's account?
2. What creatures' 'being' does Bataille compare in "The Labyrinth"?
3. Where did Bataille work until 1942?
4. How did Bataille relate to Andre Masson's drawings?
5. What is the significance of the obelisk in "The Obelisk"?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)