|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
(a) Destroying the foundation of wealth.
(b) Attacking the inequalities in the economy.
(c) Devaluing the trappings of wealth.
(d) Affirming the position of the rich.
2. Which of the following is one of the directions recomposition of society can take?
(a) Decomposing bureaucracy.
(c) Technological dictatorship.
(d) Liberating myths.
3. Where does Bataille recall riding his bicycle in Reims, in "[Dream]"?
(a) On the beach.
(b) Through the streets.
(c) In his house.
(d) In the schoolyard.
4. What does Bataille say Nietzschean pride comes from?
(a) The desire for personal power but not for social power.
(b) The need for individuality in times when individuality is impossible.
(c) Life's disintegration and the will to power.
(d) The power of language and the chaos of experience.
5. What results from acting in specialized areas, in Bataille's opinion in "The Labyrinth"?
(a) Man becomes a specialist.
(b) Man is impoverished.
(c) Man loses his innocence.
(d) Man conquers the universe in its details.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Nietzsche's relationship with fascism, in Bataille's account?
2. Who contributed to "Documents"?
3. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
4. What did Breton call Bataille?
5. Who developed the theory of conspicuous consumption?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)