|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Bataille leave his job in 1942?
(a) He was ill.
(b) He died.
(c) He was fired.
(d) He fled the Germans.
2. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
(a) Two years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Nine months.
(d) Fifteen months.
3. What are flowers not matched by, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) The purity of the sunshine.
(b) The work of bees.
(c) The corrupt hands that pick them.
(d) A show of human love.
4. What is the benefit Bataille sees to having more than one meaning in his work?
(a) It demonstrates the impossibility of truth.
(b) It keeps the reader uncomfortable.
(c) It gives a clearer statement of his thought.
(d) It keeps all Bataille's options open.
5. When was George Bataille born?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille's 'me in the void' realize in "Sacrifices"?
2. What was the subject of Bataille's first pamphlet?
3. Whom did the Popular Front join with?
4. Under whom does fascism unite society, in Bataille's account?
5. How did Bataille relate to Andre Masson's drawings?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)