|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille say was the driving force beneath his heterodox theory?
(a) Obsession with excrement.
(b) Homoerotic terror.
(c) Obsession with priests.
(d) Oedipal terror.
2. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
(a) Destroying the foundation of wealth.
(b) Affirming the position of the rich.
(c) Devaluing the trappings of wealth.
(d) Attacking the inequalities in the economy.
3. How does Bataille describe the mandrake root?
4. How does Bataille describe his father?
(a) Depressed and alcoholic.
(b) Blind, paralytic and syphilitic.
(c) Financially secure.
(d) Frequently ill and mentally unstable.
5. What does Bataille say about monsters in "The Deviations of Nature"?
(a) That they are projections out of the ugliest part of humanity.
(b) That they represent the opposite of geometric regularity of form.
(c) That they are the best place to gain insight into people's feelings about themselves.
(d) That they are necessary to keep people in line.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what piece of writing did Bataille record his childhood?
2. How does bourgeois society enslave and degrade poor men, in Bataille's opinion?
3. How is the question of 'what exists compared to what appears' resolved, in "Sacrifices"?
4. What does homogeneity depend on?
5. What does Bataille remember his father spanking him with in "[Dream]"?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)