|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
(a) Devaluing the trappings of wealth.
(b) Attacking the inequalities in the economy.
(c) Destroying the foundation of wealth.
(d) Affirming the position of the rich.
2. What does Bataille say poor people cannot stop rich people from doing?
(a) Eluding prosecution for crimes.
(b) Wasting resources.
(c) Helping the poor.
(d) Buying influence.
3. What does Bataille define as a way to humiliate, defy, or obligate a poorer person as a show of destruction of wealth?
(b) Government subsidies.
(c) Public Assistance.
4. What does Bataille feel about the rats in "[Dream]"?
(a) They must be cleaned.
(b) They must be fed to snakes.
(c) The must be cleared out.
(d) They must be killed.
5. What does standing upright do for man in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Raises his head to the heavens.
(b) Hides his anus.
(c) Distorts his vision with unnatural ideas.
(d) Lets him see things clearer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What film does Bataille cite in "The Eye"?
2. What relationship between events and things is Bataille describing in "The Solar Anus"?
3. What were Bataille's feelings for Breton?
4. What does the cross demand, at the end of "Sacrifices"?
5. Where did Bataille work until 1942?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)