|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Bataille annoyed while riding his bicycle?
(a) The sand was slushy with high tide.
(b) The pavement was broken up by streetcar tracks.
(c) The schoolyard was fenced in.
(d) The house was too small for his turns.
2. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) A form of world-weariness.
(b) A surplus of idealism.
(c) A reaction against childhood idealism.
(d) A childhood sickness of materialism.
3. What does Bataille say scientists said about the dialectic?
(a) It was a matter of faith.
(b) It was incompatible with science.
(c) It was demonstrated in evolution.
(d) It was the one true science.
4. What were Bataille's feelings for Breton?
5. What does Bataille's 'me in the void' realize in "Sacrifices"?
(a) That he has dominion over everything.
(b) That he might have to create himself.
(c) That he might cease to exist.
(d) That he doesn't exist.
Short Answer Questions
1. How should materialism be disclaimed, in "Materialism"?
2. Where does Bataille recall riding his bicycle in Reims, in "[Dream]"?
3. How does Bataille describe his work?
4. How would you describe the images Bataille presents?
5. Under what conditions can a state be democratic, in Bataille's opinion?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)