|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Andre Masson establish the tone of his book of drawings?
(a) With a drawing of a prostitute.
(b) With a drawing of a syphilis cell.
(c) With a drawing of God parting the clouds in judgment.
(d) With a drawing of an acephalic man.
2. What critique does Bataille make in "The Critique of the Foundations of Hegelian Dialectic"?
(a) He mocks Marx and Engels for their idealism.
(b) He frees dialectical negation from Engels' mechanical abstraction.
(c) He demonstrated why dialectical materialism is inevitable.
(d) He criticizes the Oversoul as a childish fantasy.
3. How does Bataille describe the Mithraic cult ritual of the sun in "Rotten Sun"?
(a) A priest spatters a bull's blood on worshipers underneath.
(b) A priest cuts a victim's throat on an altar.
(c) A worshiper puts out a priest's eye.
(d) A priest stares into the sun to have a vision.
4. What characterizes man in "The Eye"?
(a) Longing for purity.
(b) Horror of eyes and insects.
(c) Desire for violence and violation.
(d) Longing for sacrilege.
5. What did professor Hartmann dispute about the treatment of the Marx/Hegel dialectic?
(a) He objects that it is only applicable in certain cases.
(b) He objects that it is not grounded in political science.
(c) He objects that it is based on pseudo-science.
(d) He objects that it is not a law of reality.
Short Answer Questions
1. What principles does Bataille say men associate with the feet in "The Big Toe"?
2. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
3. What does Bataille say his father looked like in "[Dream]"?
4. What does Bataille say money measures, in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
5. What relationship do the writings in Section II have to the writings in Section I?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)