|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Bataille attack Nietzsche?
(a) For going insane.
(b) For megalomania and failure of ideas.
(c) For admiring Emerson.
(d) For failing to embrace the decomposition of culture.
2. What kinds of expenditure does artistic production require?
(a) Patron or market expenditure.
(b) Public or patron expenditure.
(c) Religious or secular expenditure.
(d) Real or symbolic expenditure.
3. What did Bataille write while he was working?
(a) A medieval romance.
(b) Art criticism.
(c) Articles on philosophy.
(d) Book reviews.
4. Why did Bataille leave his job in 1942?
(a) He was fired.
(b) He was ill.
(c) He died.
(d) He fled the Germans.
5. Why was Bataille annoyed while riding his bicycle?
(a) The schoolyard was fenced in.
(b) The house was too small for his turns.
(c) The sand was slushy with high tide.
(d) The pavement was broken up by streetcar tracks.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does "The Language of Flowers" end?
2. How long does Bataille ride his bicycle for in "[Dream]"?
3. What does Bataille's 'me in the void' realize in "Sacrifices"?
4. Where was Bataille born?
5. Who developed the theory of conspicuous consumption?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)