|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Breton call Bataille?
(a) A incremental writing whore.
(b) A dubious genius.
(c) An excremental philosopher.
(d) A prophet.
2. What was Breton's response to Bataille?
(a) He refuted Bataille's arguments.
(b) He condemned his pathological reasoning to the unreasonable.
(c) He praised the shocking images that would disturb the bourgeoisie.
(d) He lamented the absence of any real philosophy at the core of Bataille's writing.
3. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
(a) An eye of judgment.
(b) An eye of conscience.
(c) An eye of longing.
(d) An eye of surveillance.
4. How does surrealism rebel at first, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) With all the proletarians.
(b) With subtle disorientation of meaning.
(c) With all-out deformation of images.
(d) Without the lower classes.
5. Where does fascism originate?
(a) Among the workers who seize control of the means of production.
(b) Among the poor who have nothing to establish power.
(c) Among the rich who are threatened by an outside group.
(d) Among the middle classes who want to control the proletariat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille describe in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
2. How did Engels and Hartmann differ on the tenets of Hegel's "Philosophy of Nature"?
3. What are the two classes Bataille divides consumption into?
4. What did professor Hartmann dispute about the treatment of the Marx/Hegel dialectic?
5. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)