|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the other self-mutilator (besides Van Gogh) do in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh"?
(a) Bite off his finger.
(b) Cut off his hand.
(c) Put out his eye.
(d) Drink his own blood.
2. What are flowers not matched by, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) The work of bees.
(b) The purity of the sunshine.
(c) The corrupt hands that pick them.
(d) A show of human love.
3. What does Bataille say the theory of conspicuous consumption is used for?
(a) Giving the poor opportunities.
(b) Keeping the poor weak.
(c) Preserving segregation between rich and poor.
(d) Melting different cultures together in America.
4. What does Bataille say the eye causes?
5. How do the rats appear in "[Dream]"?
(a) Crawling in ditches.
(b) Swimming in the bilge.
(c) Hanging by their tails.
(d) Scratching in the walls.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the question of 'what exists compared to what appears' resolved, in "Sacrifices"?
2. What does Bataille say would result from a difference of events in his experience?
3. What does Bataille claim the world is in "The Solar Anus"?
4. In whose hands does Bataille describe conspicuous consumption as a tool?
5. Where did Bataille go to school?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)