|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Engels look for examples to test the dialectic method of Marx and Hegel?
(c) Lived experience.
2. How did Bataille rebel against his father?
(a) By quitting school.
(b) By running away from home.
(c) By becoming a Protestant.
(d) By taking lovers.
3. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) As symbols of sacred abstraction.
(b) As metaphors for other natural forms.
(c) As primitive forms of the things themselves.
(d) As symbols for the experience and association of natural forms.
4. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
(a) Eating garbage.
(b) Eating each other.
(c) Trying to bite.
5. Under what conditions can a state be democratic, in Bataille's opinion?
(a) When heterogeneity can be controlled with force.
(b) When homogeneity can be broken up peacefully.
(c) When homogeneity happens spontaneously.
(d) When heterogeneity happens spontaneously.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Bataille NOT use as an example of unproductive expenditure without value beyond itself?
2. What does Bataille say his father looked like in "[Dream]"?
3. What are the two classes Bataille divides consumption into?
4. What does Bataille say dominates history in "Popular Front in the Street"?
5. What was the subject of Bataille's first pamphlet?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)