|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What strategy does Surrealism use for presenting images?
(a) The images are distorted beyond recognition.
(b) Layers of each image are stripped away until the essential truth is apparent.
(c) Images are piled on, one after another.
(d) Opposite images are contrasted.
2. What does Bataille say would result from a difference of events in his experience?
(a) He would reveal his alter-ego.
(b) He would have to confront his true self.
(c) He would be an other.
(d) He would be at war with himself.
3. What does Bataille say was the driving force beneath his heterodox theory?
(a) Obsession with excrement.
(b) Obsession with priests.
(c) Homoerotic terror.
(d) Oedipal terror.
4. How does Bataille describe his memory of his father pulling down his pants in "[Dream]"?
(b) Terrible and magnificent.
(d) Humiliating and painful.
5. What was the purpose of the Popular Front, in Bataille's account?
(a) To oppose Hitler.
(b) To oppose fascism in France.
(c) To overthrow the Vichy government.
(d) To oppose immigrants in France.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille compare roots to, in "The Language of Flowers"?
2. Where did Bataille go to school?
3. What tone did Andre Masson establish in his drawings?
4. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
5. What does homogeneity depend on?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)