|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two classes Bataille divides consumption into?
(a) Sacrificial consumption and gift consumption.
(b) Conservation of life and productive activity.
(c) Productive consumption and wasteful consumption.
(d) Conspicuous consumption and invisible consumption.
2. How did Andre Masson establish the tone of his book of drawings?
(a) With a drawing of an acephalic man.
(b) With a drawing of God parting the clouds in judgment.
(c) With a drawing of a prostitute.
(d) With a drawing of a syphilis cell.
3. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) A surplus of idealism.
(b) A reaction against childhood idealism.
(c) A form of world-weariness.
(d) A childhood sickness of materialism.
4. What does Bataille compare roots to, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) Visible leaves.
(b) Human bodies.
5. What do flowers witness, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) The life and death of love.
(b) The architectural order of fields and forests.
(c) The reason for the plants' existence.
(d) Nothing but a moment in the life of the plant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did "[Dream]" originate?
2. When did Bataille form the Popular Front?
3. What did Bataille write while he was working?
4. What are flowers not matched by, in "The Language of Flowers"?
5. How long does Bataille ride his bicycle for in "[Dream]"?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)