|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what piece of writing did Bataille record his childhood?
(a) The Language of Flowers.
(b) The Lugubrious Game.
(d) The Eye.
2. What does Bataille say the theory of conspicuous consumption is used for?
(a) Keeping the poor weak.
(b) Giving the poor opportunities.
(c) Melting different cultures together in America.
(d) Preserving segregation between rich and poor.
3. How did Bataille relate to Andre Masson's drawings?
(a) He saw himself as the self in flight.
(b) He saw himself as the sick man.
(c) He saw himself as the entire cosmos.
(d) He saw himself as the lines and the paper themselves.
4. How does dialectic operate in "Notion of Expenditure"?
(a) It results from revolution.
(b) It pacifies the proletariat.
(c) It animates class struggle.
(d) It prevents revolution.
5. When did Bataille and his mother abandon his father?
(a) When the Germans arrived in 1915.
(b) When the mother took a job in Paris.
(c) When the father went insane.
(d) When the father was imprisoned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of the Marx/Hegel dialectic did professor Hartmann test?
2. What critique does Bataille make in "The Critique of the Foundations of Hegelian Dialectic"?
3. Where did "[Dream]" originate?
4. What does Bataille remember his father spanking him with in "[Dream]"?
5. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)