|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are flowers not matched by, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) The corrupt hands that pick them.
(b) The work of bees.
(c) A show of human love.
(d) The purity of the sunshine.
2. What does the title of "The Solar Anus" refer to?
(a) The blinding effect of seeing a girl's anus.
(b) The passage out of purgatory.
(c) The source of all matter.
(d) The regeneration of the universe in stars that eat planets.
3. What does Bataille claim the world is in "The Solar Anus"?
4. How would you describe the images Bataille presents?
5. Why did Bataille leave his job in 1942?
(a) He fled the Germans.
(b) He died.
(c) He was fired.
(d) He was ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strategy does Surrealism use for presenting images?
2. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
3. What claim does Bataille discuss in "The Deviations of Nature"?
4. What principles does Bataille say men associate with the feet in "The Big Toe"?
5. Who introduced Bataille to surrealism?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)