|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Bataille leave his job in 1942?
(a) He was fired.
(b) He died.
(c) He fled the Germans.
(d) He was ill.
2. Why did Bataille attack Nietzsche?
(a) For going insane.
(b) For failing to embrace the decomposition of culture.
(c) For megalomania and failure of ideas.
(d) For admiring Emerson.
3. How did Leiris portray Bataille to Breton?
(a) As a genius.
(b) As a prophet.
(c) As obsessed.
(d) As a pornographer.
4. Who introduced Bataille to surrealism?
(a) Marcel Duchamp.
(b) Andre Breton.
(c) Michael Leiris.
(d) Joan Miro.
5. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
(a) Eating garbage.
(b) Eating each other.
(c) Trying to bite.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille compare roots to, in "The Language of Flowers"?
2. What two stances did Bataille combine?
3. How does surrealism rebel at first, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
4. How does "The Language of Flowers" end?
5. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)