|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was it a mistake for Bataille to use his intellectual violence on Breton?
(a) Breton's friends excommunicated Bataille from the surrealist circles.
(b) Breton ruined Bataille in revenge.
(c) Bataille lost friends over the gratuitous attack.
(d) Breton might have promoted it.
2. What did Bataille say about his book "W.C."?
(a) It was a prophecy.
(b) It was going to destroy the world.
(c) It was opposed to all dignity.
(d) It was execrable and shouldn't be published.
3. What does the mole stand for in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
4. What was Bataille afraid of as a child?
(b) The Rain.
5. What principles does Bataille say men associate with the feet in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Evil and dark.
(b) Labor and evil.
(c) Subversion and power.
(d) Powerlessness and subservience.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say his father looked like in "[Dream]"?
2. What critique does Bataille make in "The Critique of the Foundations of Hegelian Dialectic"?
3. Who introduced Bataille to surrealism?
4. What did Breton call Bataille?
5. What did Bataille write while he was working?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)