|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
(a) The attempt to rid one's thoughts of spiritualism.
(b) The attempt to free the eye from aesthetics.
(c) The desire to stop using language for natural functions.
(d) The attempt to translate sex into language.
2. Why did Bataille attack Nietzsche?
(a) For megalomania and failure of ideas.
(b) For going insane.
(c) For failing to embrace the decomposition of culture.
(d) For admiring Emerson.
3. How do the rats appear in "[Dream]"?
(a) Swimming in the bilge.
(b) Scratching in the walls.
(c) Crawling in ditches.
(d) Hanging by their tails.
4. Whom did the Popular Front join with?
(a) Communists and Socialists.
(b) Bureaucrats and Communists.
(c) Democrats and Socialist Democrats.
(d) Fascists and totalitarians.
5. What was Bataille afraid of as a child?
(d) The Rain.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bataille describe his father?
2. How does Bataille describe the Mithraic cult ritual of the sun in "Rotten Sun"?
3. What are flowers not matched by, in "The Language of Flowers"?
4. What did Breton call Bataille?
5. How does Bataille describe producing and selling in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)