|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Bataille write while he was working?
(a) A medieval romance.
(b) Art criticism.
(c) Articles on philosophy.
(d) Book reviews.
2. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
(a) Eating garbage.
(b) Trying to bite.
(d) Eating each other.
3. In whose hands does Bataille describe conspicuous consumption as a tool?
(a) The poor.
(b) The intelligentsia.
(c) The rich.
(d) The middle class.
4. When did Bataille deny his faith?
5. What does the title of "The Solar Anus" refer to?
(a) The blinding effect of seeing a girl's anus.
(b) The passage out of purgatory.
(c) The regeneration of the universe in stars that eat planets.
(d) The source of all matter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strategy does Surrealism use for presenting images?
2. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
3. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
4. How does Bataille describe the Mithraic cult ritual of the sun in "Rotten Sun"?
5. When did Bataille form the Popular Front?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)