|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the rats appear in "[Dream]"?
(a) Swimming in the bilge.
(b) Scratching in the walls.
(c) Hanging by their tails.
(d) Crawling in ditches.
2. What strategy does Surrealism use for presenting images?
(a) The images are distorted beyond recognition.
(b) Layers of each image are stripped away until the essential truth is apparent.
(c) Opposite images are contrasted.
(d) Images are piled on, one after another.
3. What was Breton's response to Bataille?
(a) He refuted Bataille's arguments.
(b) He condemned his pathological reasoning to the unreasonable.
(c) He lamented the absence of any real philosophy at the core of Bataille's writing.
(d) He praised the shocking images that would disturb the bourgeoisie.
4. Who introduced Bataille to surrealism?
(a) Andre Breton.
(b) Marcel Duchamp.
(c) Michael Leiris.
(d) Joan Miro.
5. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
(a) Surrealist writing.
(b) Bataille's writing.
(c) Fascist rants.
(d) Anarchistic literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect do flowers have on love, in "The Language of Flowers"?
2. When did Bataille form the Popular Front?
3. How would you describe the images Bataille presents?
4. What did Bataille write while he was working?
5. Why did Bataille leave his job in 1942?
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)