|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the subject of Bataille's first pamphlet?
(a) Criticism of his father.
(b) Praise of Cathedral Notre Dame des Reims.
(c) Praise of his mother.
(d) Criticism of his religion.
2. Whom did Bataille join with to form the Popular Front?
3. When did Bataille publish "W.C."?
4. In what piece of writing did Bataille record his childhood?
(b) The Language of Flowers.
(c) The Lugubrious Game.
(d) The Eye.
5. What do flowers witness, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) Nothing but a moment in the life of the plant.
(b) The reason for the plants' existence.
(c) The life and death of love.
(d) The architectural order of fields and forests.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does surrealism rebel at first, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
2. Who contributed to "Documents"?
3. What do volcanoes serve as, in "The Solar Anus"?
4. Where did Bataille go to school?
5. What flower is Marquis de Sade plucking petals off, at the end of "The Language of Flowers"?
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)