|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Bataille write while he was working?
(a) A medieval romance.
(b) Art criticism.
(c) Book reviews.
(d) Articles on philosophy.
2. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
(a) Fifteen months.
(b) Nine months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two years.
3. Whom did the Popular Front join with?
(a) Bureaucrats and Communists.
(b) Communists and Socialists.
(c) Fascists and totalitarians.
(d) Democrats and Socialist Democrats.
4. What does the title of "The Solar Anus" refer to?
(a) The blinding effect of seeing a girl's anus.
(b) The passage out of purgatory.
(c) The source of all matter.
(d) The regeneration of the universe in stars that eat planets.
5. What critique does Bataille make in "The Critique of the Foundations of Hegelian Dialectic"?
(a) He criticizes the Oversoul as a childish fantasy.
(b) He frees dialectical negation from Engels' mechanical abstraction.
(c) He demonstrated why dialectical materialism is inevitable.
(d) He mocks Marx and Engels for their idealism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What principles does Bataille say men associate with the feet in "The Big Toe"?
2. When did Bataille and his mother abandon his father?
3. What is the benefit Bataille sees to having more than one meaning in his work?
4. How would you describe the images Bataille presents?
5. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)