|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Bataille rebel against his father?
(a) By becoming a Protestant.
(b) By quitting school.
(c) By running away from home.
(d) By taking lovers.
2. In what piece of writing did Bataille record his childhood?
(a) The Eye.
(b) The Lugubrious Game.
(c) The Language of Flowers.
3. What does the other self-mutilator (besides Van Gogh) do in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh"?
(a) Drink his own blood.
(b) Put out his eye.
(c) Cut off his hand.
(d) Bite off his finger.
4. How does Bataille describe his memory of his father pulling down his pants in "[Dream]"?
(b) Terrible and magnificent.
(c) Humiliating and painful.
5. When was "Acephale" published?
(a) 1936 to 1939.
(b) 1931 to 1944.
(c) 1933 to 1937.
(d) 1942 to 1946.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strategy does Surrealism use for presenting images?
2. Why was it a mistake for Bataille to use his intellectual violence on Breton?
3. What feeling does Bataille exaggerate in "The Lugubrious Game"?
4. How does Bataille describe his work?
5. What writer coined the term conspicuous consumption?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)