|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille say was the driving force beneath his heterodox theory?
(a) Oedipal terror.
(b) Obsession with priests.
(c) Homoerotic terror.
(d) Obsession with excrement.
2. What does Bataille say coitus is associated with, in "The Solar Anus"?
3. What does Bataille say about monsters in "The Deviations of Nature"?
(a) That they are necessary to keep people in line.
(b) That they are projections out of the ugliest part of humanity.
(c) That they represent the opposite of geometric regularity of form.
(d) That they are the best place to gain insight into people's feelings about themselves.
4. What were Bataille's feelings for Breton?
5. Where did "[Dream]" originate?
(a) In Bataille's marriage.
(b) In Bataille's psychoanalysis.
(c) In Bataille's imagination.
(d) In Bataille's childhood obsession with eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the other self-mutilator (besides Van Gogh) do in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh"?
2. How does Bataille describe his thinking in "Popular Front in the Street"?
3. What do flowers witness, in "The Language of Flowers"?
4. What effect do flowers have on love, in "The Language of Flowers"?
5. In what piece of writing did Bataille record his childhood?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)