|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the other self-mutilator (besides Van Gogh) do in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh"?
(a) Bite off his finger.
(b) Put out his eye.
(c) Cut off his hand.
(d) Drink his own blood.
2. What was Bataille being punished for in "[Dream]"?
(a) Seeing his parents naked.
(b) Playing with a hoop.
(c) Wetting himself.
(d) Staying up too late.
3. What principles does Bataille say men associate with the feet in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Subversion and power.
(b) Powerlessness and subservience.
(c) Labor and evil.
(d) Evil and dark.
4. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
(b) Eating each other.
(c) Trying to bite.
(d) Eating garbage.
5. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
(a) Attacking the inequalities in the economy.
(b) Destroying the foundation of wealth.
(c) Affirming the position of the rich.
(d) Devaluing the trappings of wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strategy does Surrealism use for presenting images?
2. How does Bataille describe his father?
3. How does surrealism rebel at first, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
4. What was the subject of Bataille's first pamphlet?
5. What were Bataille's feelings for Breton?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)