|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Bataille contrast to the sovereign in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
(a) The ignoble workers.
(b) The Jews.
(c) The aristocrats.
(d) The middle class merchant.
2. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
(a) A brown smudge.
(c) Anal fixation.
(d) Sex play with eyeballs.
3. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
(a) Fifteen months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Nine months.
(d) Two years.
4. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
(a) Eating each other.
(b) Eating garbage.
(d) Trying to bite.
5. How should materialism be disclaimed, in "Materialism"?
(a) By including all idealism.
(b) By superseding idealism with dialogue.
(c) By excluding all idealism.
(d) By replacing idealism with matter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bataille describe the mandrake root?
2. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
3. What relationship do the writings in Section II have to the writings in Section I?
4. What two stances did Bataille combine?
5. How does Bataille describe his work?
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)