|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) As metaphors for other natural forms.
(b) As primitive forms of the things themselves.
(c) As symbols of sacred abstraction.
(d) As symbols for the experience and association of natural forms.
2. How would you describe the images Bataille presents?
3. What did Bataille say about his book "W.C."?
(a) It was execrable and shouldn't be published.
(b) It was a prophecy.
(c) It was opposed to all dignity.
(d) It was going to destroy the world.
4. Where does Bataille recall riding his bicycle in Reims, in "[Dream]"?
(a) On the beach.
(b) In the schoolyard.
(c) In his house.
(d) Through the streets.
5. Why did Bataille leave his job in 1942?
(a) He fled the Germans.
(b) He was ill.
(c) He was fired.
(d) He died.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
2. What principles does Bataille say men associate with height in "The Big Toe"?
3. When did Bataille deny his faith?
4. Where did Bataille work until 1942?
5. What are flowers not matched by, in "The Language of Flowers"?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)