|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who introduced Bataille to surrealism?
(a) Marcel Duchamp.
(b) Michael Leiris.
(c) Andre Breton.
(d) Joan Miro.
2. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
(a) An eye of longing.
(b) An eye of judgment.
(c) An eye of conscience.
(d) An eye of surveillance.
3. For what field did Bataille go to school?
(a) Renaissance art critic.
(b) Medieval librarian.
4. What does the mole stand for in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
5. What was Breton's response to Bataille?
(a) He praised the shocking images that would disturb the bourgeoisie.
(b) He condemned his pathological reasoning to the unreasonable.
(c) He lamented the absence of any real philosophy at the core of Bataille's writing.
(d) He refuted Bataille's arguments.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does "The Language of Flowers" end?
2. How does Bataille describe the Mithraic cult ritual of the sun in "Rotten Sun"?
3. What were Bataille's feelings for Breton?
4. How does Bataille describe his memory of his father pulling down his pants in "[Dream]"?
5. What claim does Bataille discuss in "The Deviations of Nature"?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)