|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are flowers not matched by, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) A show of human love.
(b) The purity of the sunshine.
(c) The corrupt hands that pick them.
(d) The work of bees.
2. When did Bataille deny his faith?
3. What was Bataille being punished for in "[Dream]"?
(a) Playing with a hoop.
(b) Wetting himself.
(c) Seeing his parents naked.
(d) Staying up too late.
4. What was the subject of Bataille's first pamphlet?
(a) Criticism of his father.
(b) Criticism of his religion.
(c) Praise of Cathedral Notre Dame des Reims.
(d) Praise of his mother.
5. What does Bataille compare roots to, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(b) Human bodies.
(d) Visible leaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feeling does Bataille exaggerate in "The Lugubrious Game"?
2. How did Bataille rebel against his father?
3. What does Bataille say about monsters in "The Deviations of Nature"?
4. Where did Bataille go to school?
5. In whose hands does Bataille describe conspicuous consumption as a tool?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)