|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille say coitus is associated with, in "The Solar Anus"?
2. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
(a) Nine months.
(b) Fifteen months.
(c) Two years.
(d) Six months.
3. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
(a) The attempt to free the eye from aesthetics.
(b) The desire to stop using language for natural functions.
(c) The attempt to translate sex into language.
(d) The attempt to rid one's thoughts of spiritualism.
4. What writer coined the term conspicuous consumption?
5. When did Bataille deny his faith?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Bataille born?
2. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
3. What does Bataille say was the driving force beneath his heterodox theory?
4. What does Bataille say about monsters in "The Deviations of Nature"?
5. Who contributed to "Documents"?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)