|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the rats appear in "[Dream]"?
(a) Hanging by their tails.
(b) Crawling in ditches.
(c) Scratching in the walls.
(d) Swimming in the bilge.
2. Who introduced Bataille to surrealism?
(a) Michael Leiris.
(b) Marcel Duchamp.
(c) Andre Breton.
(d) Joan Miro.
3. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
(a) Anal fixation.
(b) A brown smudge.
(d) Sex play with eyeballs.
4. How does Bataille describe the Mithraic cult ritual of the sun in "Rotten Sun"?
(a) A worshiper puts out a priest's eye.
(b) A priest stares into the sun to have a vision.
(c) A priest cuts a victim's throat on an altar.
(d) A priest spatters a bull's blood on worshipers underneath.
5. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what piece of writing did Bataille record his childhood?
2. How does surrealism rebel at first, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
3. Why did Bataille attack Nietzsche?
4. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
5. What strategy does Surrealism use for presenting images?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)