|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does surrealism rebel at first, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) With subtle disorientation of meaning.
(b) With all-out deformation of images.
(c) Without the lower classes.
(d) With all the proletarians.
2. What does Bataille compare roots to, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) Human bodies.
(c) Visible leaves.
3. What feeling does Bataille exaggerate in "The Lugubrious Game"?
4. How does Bataille describe his work?
5. Where did "[Dream]" originate?
(a) In Bataille's childhood obsession with eyes.
(b) In Bataille's psychoanalysis.
(c) In Bataille's imagination.
(d) In Bataille's marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
2. What did Bataille write while he was working?
3. What film does Bataille cite in "The Eye"?
4. What were Bataille's feelings for Breton?
5. What flower is Marquis de Sade plucking petals off, at the end of "The Language of Flowers"?
This section contains 190 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)