|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
(b) Sex play with eyeballs.
(c) A brown smudge.
(d) Anal fixation.
2. What critique does Bataille make in "The Critique of the Foundations of Hegelian Dialectic"?
(a) He frees dialectical negation from Engels' mechanical abstraction.
(b) He mocks Marx and Engels for their idealism.
(c) He demonstrated why dialectical materialism is inevitable.
(d) He criticizes the Oversoul as a childish fantasy.
3. What principles does Bataille say men associate with the feet in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Powerlessness and subservience.
(b) Labor and evil.
(c) Subversion and power.
(d) Evil and dark.
4. How did Leiris portray Bataille to Breton?
(a) As a pornographer.
(b) As obsessed.
(c) As a genius.
(d) As a prophet.
5. How do the rats appear in "[Dream]"?
(a) Crawling in ditches.
(b) Swimming in the bilge.
(c) Hanging by their tails.
(d) Scratching in the walls.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bataille describe his father?
2. Who introduced Bataille to surrealism?
3. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
4. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
5. Whom did the Popular Front join with?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)