|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Bataille afraid of as a child?
(a) The Rain.
2. What was the "Acephale" group's primary purpose?
(a) To annihilate the idea of God.
(b) To recreate the myth of God.
(c) To come into contact with God in men.
(d) To kill God.
3. What claim does Bataille discuss in "The Deviations of Nature"?
(a) That nothing is more horrifying than snakes.
(b) That nothing is more horrifying than man.
(c) That nothing is more horrifying that carnival freaks.
(d) That nothing is more horrifying than rats at carnivals.
4. What was Bataille being punished for in "[Dream]"?
(a) Staying up too late.
(b) Seeing his parents naked.
(c) Wetting himself.
(d) Playing with a hoop.
5. What is the benefit Bataille sees to having more than one meaning in his work?
(a) It keeps the reader uncomfortable.
(b) It demonstrates the impossibility of truth.
(c) It gives a clearer statement of his thought.
(d) It keeps all Bataille's options open.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Bataille form the Popular Front?
2. What characterizes man in "The Eye"?
3. How does surrealism rebel at first, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
4. How does Bataille describe the mandrake root?
5. When was "Acephale" published?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)