|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was it a mistake for Bataille to use his intellectual violence on Breton?
(a) Breton might have promoted it.
(b) Breton's friends excommunicated Bataille from the surrealist circles.
(c) Bataille lost friends over the gratuitous attack.
(d) Breton ruined Bataille in revenge.
2. What is the first stage of revolution, in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
(a) Staking a claim to a new kind of authority.
(b) Expelling a group from power.
(c) Portraying your revolution as a utopian project destined to succeed.
(d) Appropriating the language with which groups claim power.
3. How do the rats appear in "[Dream]"?
(a) Crawling in ditches.
(b) Swimming in the bilge.
(c) Scratching in the walls.
(d) Hanging by their tails.
4. Where did "[Dream]" originate?
(a) In Bataille's childhood obsession with eyes.
(b) In Bataille's psychoanalysis.
(c) In Bataille's imagination.
(d) In Bataille's marriage.
5. Where did Bataille go to school?
(a) Lycée Henry IV.
(b) Ecole des Chartres.
(c) Ecole des Beaux Artes.
(d) Lycée International.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say his father looked like in "[Dream]"?
2. What feeling does Bataille exaggerate in "The Lugubrious Game"?
3. Whom does Bataille contrast to the sovereign in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
4. How does Bataille describe his thinking in "Popular Front in the Street"?
5. What do volcanoes serve as, in "The Solar Anus"?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)