|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Bataille born?
2. What writer coined the term conspicuous consumption?
3. Why did Bataille attack Nietzsche?
(a) For going insane.
(b) For megalomania and failure of ideas.
(c) For admiring Emerson.
(d) For failing to embrace the decomposition of culture.
4. What is the benefit Bataille sees to having more than one meaning in his work?
(a) It gives a clearer statement of his thought.
(b) It demonstrates the impossibility of truth.
(c) It keeps the reader uncomfortable.
(d) It keeps all Bataille's options open.
5. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
(a) Destroying the foundation of wealth.
(b) Affirming the position of the rich.
(c) Attacking the inequalities in the economy.
(d) Devaluing the trappings of wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say was the driving force beneath his heterodox theory?
2. When did Bataille and his mother abandon his father?
3. Whom did the Popular Front join with?
4. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
5. What critique does Bataille make in "The Critique of the Foundations of Hegelian Dialectic"?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)