|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In whose hands does Bataille describe conspicuous consumption as a tool?
(a) The rich.
(b) The middle class.
(c) The poor.
(d) The intelligentsia.
2. What does Bataille say was the driving force beneath his heterodox theory?
(a) Obsession with excrement.
(b) Homoerotic terror.
(c) Obsession with priests.
(d) Oedipal terror.
3. How does Bataille describe his thinking in "Popular Front in the Street"?
(a) He said he had an indomitable democratic streak.
(b) He said he had a paradoxical fascist tendency.
(c) He said he could not escape from the logic of fascism.
(d) He said he worshiped the masses.
4. Whom does Bataille contrast to the sovereign in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
(a) The aristocrats.
(b) The Jews.
(c) The ignoble workers.
(d) The middle class merchant.
5. What is the benefit Bataille sees to having more than one meaning in his work?
(a) It keeps the reader uncomfortable.
(b) It demonstrates the impossibility of truth.
(c) It gives a clearer statement of his thought.
(d) It keeps all Bataille's options open.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did the Popular Front join with?
2. What did Bataille say about his book "W.C."?
3. What writer coined the term conspicuous consumption?
4. For what field did Bataille go to school?
5. Where did Bataille go to school?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)