|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bataille describe his memory of his father pulling down his pants in "[Dream]"?
(b) Humiliating and painful.
(d) Terrible and magnificent.
2. Whom does Bataille say can never touch the reality of earth?
(c) Those who exploit the earth for profit.
(d) Those who do not understand it.
3. What effect do flowers have on love, in "The Language of Flowers"?
4. What are flowers not matched by, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) The corrupt hands that pick them.
(b) A show of human love.
(c) The purity of the sunshine.
(d) The work of bees.
5. What does standing upright do for man in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Distorts his vision with unnatural ideas.
(b) Raises his head to the heavens.
(c) Hides his anus.
(d) Lets him see things clearer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did the Popular Front join with?
2. How does surrealism rebel at first, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
3. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
4. Who developed the theory of conspicuous consumption?
5. How does Bataille describe his thinking in "Popular Front in the Street"?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)