|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bataille describe his memory of his father pulling down his pants in "[Dream]"?
(a) Humiliating and painful.
(b) Terrible and magnificent.
2. What interrupts the road in "[Dream]"?
(c) Rats and vermin.
(d) Construction workers.
3. What does Bataille say dominates history in "Popular Front in the Street"?
4. Who arranged Bataille's psychoanalytic cure?
(a) Dr. Jung.
(b) Dr. Rank.
(c) Dr. Adler.
(d) Dr. Dausse.
5. What creatures' 'being' does Bataille compare in "The Labyrinth"?
(a) Dog and sponge.
(b) Snake and sponge.
(c) Man and dog.
(d) Bird and dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
2. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
3. Why is classical utility theory inadequate, in Bataille's opinion?
4. What characterizes man in "The Eye"?
5. How does surrealism rebel at first, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)