|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Nietzsche's relationship with fascism, in Bataille's account?
(a) He was opposed to political parties.
(b) He was active in support of it.
(c) He was active in opposition to it.
(d) He claimed to be a prophet of a culture of power.
2. What relationship between events and things is Bataille describing in "The Solar Anus"?
3. How would you describe the images Bataille presents?
4. What was Breton's response to Bataille?
(a) He condemned his pathological reasoning to the unreasonable.
(b) He lamented the absence of any real philosophy at the core of Bataille's writing.
(c) He praised the shocking images that would disturb the bourgeoisie.
(d) He refuted Bataille's arguments.
5. How did Bataille rebel against his father?
(a) By quitting school.
(b) By becoming a Protestant.
(c) By running away from home.
(d) By taking lovers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interrupts the road in "[Dream]"?
2. What does the other self-mutilator (besides Van Gogh) do in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh"?
3. How does Bataille describe his work?
4. From what does Bataille say Alfred Baumler distilled a doctrine of the people's will to power?
5. Which of the following does Bataille NOT use as an example of unproductive expenditure without value beyond itself?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)