|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the homogeneous part of society purchase?
2. What claim does Bataille discuss in "The Deviations of Nature"?
(a) That nothing is more horrifying than snakes.
(b) That nothing is more horrifying than man.
(c) That nothing is more horrifying than rats at carnivals.
(d) That nothing is more horrifying that carnival freaks.
3. How does Bataille describe his work?
4. How does surrealism rebel at first, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) Without the lower classes.
(b) With subtle disorientation of meaning.
(c) With all-out deformation of images.
(d) With all the proletarians.
5. What characterizes man in "The Eye"?
(a) Horror of eyes and insects.
(b) Longing for sacrilege.
(c) Desire for violence and violation.
(d) Longing for purity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did "[Dream]" originate?
2. What description fits with the "Acephale" group?
3. What film does Bataille cite in "The Eye"?
4. What does Bataille say about monsters in "The Deviations of Nature"?
5. How did Bataille rebel against his father?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)