|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Bataille summing up in his "Propositions"?
(a) His thoughts on modern culture.
(b) His thoughts on the death of God.
(c) His thoughts on Nietzschean metaphysics.
(d) His thoughts on sex and perversity in modern life.
2. What does Bataille say the eye causes?
3. In what piece of writing did Bataille record his childhood?
(a) The Lugubrious Game.
(b) The Language of Flowers.
(c) The Eye.
4. How does Bataille describe his work?
5. Why is classical utility theory inadequate, in Bataille's opinion?
(a) Utility theory relies on principles like honor and duty.
(b) Utility theory mystifies economics with talk of revolution.
(c) Utility theory disregards values like honor and virtue.
(d) Utility theory is not compatible with the Marxist imperative of class revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say is analogous to the maternal breast?
2. What characterizes man in "The Eye"?
3. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
4. How is the question of 'what exists compared to what appears' resolved, in "Sacrifices"?
5. What are flowers not matched by, in "The Language of Flowers"?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)