|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the question of 'what exists compared to what appears' resolved, in "Sacrifices"?
(a) By accepting the duality of latent and manifest action.
(b) By answering what is required to exist for moral value.
(c) By unraveling the mystery of language.
(d) By moving beyond questions of present and past.
2. What claim does Bataille make in "The Obelisk"?
(a) That nationalism is never carved in stone.
(b) That fascism is centered on the monuments it builds to itself.
(c) That the past always has to be imported from elsewhere.
(d) That there is no mystery in the world of spirit.
3. What does Bataille define as a way to humiliate, defy, or obligate a poorer person as a show of destruction of wealth?
(c) Public Assistance.
(d) Government subsidies.
4. What does Bataille say money measures, in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
5. How does "The Language of Flowers" end?
(a) With Count Leopold von Sacher-Masoch putting out a priest's eye.
(b) With students strangling a young woman.
(c) With a girl being sent away to school.
(d) With Sade tossing flower petals into a ditch of manure.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two forms of heterogeneity Bataille introduces in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
2. What does Bataille say coitus is associated with, in "The Solar Anus"?
3. What does Bataille say poor people cannot stop rich people from doing?
4. What does Bataille say the world offers modern man to love?
5. What tone did Andre Masson establish in his drawings?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)