|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the title of "The Solar Anus" refer to?
(a) The passage out of purgatory.
(b) The regeneration of the universe in stars that eat planets.
(c) The blinding effect of seeing a girl's anus.
(d) The source of all matter.
2. What does Bataille say scientists said about the dialectic?
(a) It was a matter of faith.
(b) It was demonstrated in evolution.
(c) It was the one true science.
(d) It was incompatible with science.
3. How did Bataille relate to Andre Masson's drawings?
(a) He saw himself as the sick man.
(b) He saw himself as the lines and the paper themselves.
(c) He saw himself as the self in flight.
(d) He saw himself as the entire cosmos.
4. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
(a) Nine months.
(b) Two years.
(c) Six months.
(d) Fifteen months.
5. Whom does Bataille contrast to the sovereign in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
(a) The middle class merchant.
(b) The Jews.
(c) The ignoble workers.
(d) The aristocrats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille describe as the result of individuals asking critical questions, in "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
2. Where did Engels look for examples to test the dialectic method of Marx and Hegel?
3. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
4. What does Bataille say about a man who knows his neighbors?
5. What does the mole stand for in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)