|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bataille describe the mandrake root?
2. What relationship do the writings in Section II have to the writings in Section I?
(a) They were unrelated.
(b) They were logical extensions.
(c) They were implicit in them.
(d) They were unprecedented.
3. Why was Bataille annoyed while riding his bicycle?
(a) The house was too small for his turns.
(b) The pavement was broken up by streetcar tracks.
(c) The sand was slushy with high tide.
(d) The schoolyard was fenced in.
4. What is classical utility theory inadequate to define, in Bataille's opinion?
(a) The value of religious belief.
(b) What is aesthetically valuable.
(c) What is useful to man.
(d) The value of tranquility.
5. What two stances did Bataille combine?
(a) Fulfillment and hollowing of man.
(b) Merging and independence of men and women.
(c) Elevation and desecration of man.
(d) Sacrilege and holiness of religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Bataille publish "W.C."?
2. How did Leiris portray Bataille to Breton?
3. For what field did Bataille go to school?
4. What does Bataille say Nietzschean pride comes from?
5. What does Bataille say is the only virtue for fascists?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)