|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kinds of expenditure does artistic production require?
(a) Public or patron expenditure.
(b) Religious or secular expenditure.
(c) Real or symbolic expenditure.
(d) Patron or market expenditure.
2. Whom does Bataille contrast to the sovereign in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
(a) The aristocrats.
(b) The middle class merchant.
(c) The Jews.
(d) The ignoble workers.
3. What aspect of the Marx/Hegel dialectic did professor Hartmann test?
(b) Diagnostic accuracy.
(d) Descriptive accuracy.
4. What critique does Bataille make in "The Critique of the Foundations of Hegelian Dialectic"?
(a) He mocks Marx and Engels for their idealism.
(b) He demonstrated why dialectical materialism is inevitable.
(c) He frees dialectical negation from Engels' mechanical abstraction.
(d) He criticizes the Oversoul as a childish fantasy.
5. What did Bataille say about his book "W.C."?
(a) It was opposed to all dignity.
(b) It was a prophecy.
(c) It was execrable and shouldn't be published.
(d) It was going to destroy the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did fascism use Nietzsche's writing to oppose?
2. What were Bataille's feelings for Breton?
3. What does Bataille define as a way to humiliate, defy, or obligate a poorer person as a show of destruction of wealth?
4. What does the cross demand, at the end of "Sacrifices"?
5. How does Bataille describe producing and selling in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)