|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Bataille leave his job in 1942?
(a) He died.
(b) He was ill.
(c) He fled the Germans.
(d) He was fired.
2. What does Bataille describe as the result of individuals asking critical questions, in "Nietzschean Chronicle"?
(a) The emergence of civilization.
(b) The development of high society.
(c) Decomposition of civilization.
(d) Religious persecution.
3. What was the "Acephale" group's primary purpose?
(a) To recreate the myth of God.
(b) To kill God.
(c) To come into contact with God in men.
(d) To annihilate the idea of God.
4. How did Engels and Hartmann differ on the tenets of Hegel's "Philosophy of Nature"?
(a) Engels was indifferent to them, but Hartmann did not believe them.
(b) Engels believed them, but Hartmann was indifferent.
(c) Engels believed them, but Hartmann did not.
(d) Engels did not believe them, but Hartmann did.
5. Which of the following does Bataille NOT use as an example of unproductive expenditure without value beyond itself?
(a) Public gardens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Nietzsche's life dominated by, in Bataille's account?
2. What were Bataille's feelings for Breton?
3. How is the question of 'what exists compared to what appears' resolved, in "Sacrifices"?
4. What is the first stage of revolution, in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
5. What does Bataille say profit leads to, in "The Labyrinth"?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)