|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Breton call Bataille?
(a) An excremental philosopher.
(b) A prophet.
(c) A dubious genius.
(d) A incremental writing whore.
2. What does Bataille say Nietzschean pride comes from?
(a) The need for individuality in times when individuality is impossible.
(b) The power of language and the chaos of experience.
(c) Life's disintegration and the will to power.
(d) The desire for personal power but not for social power.
3. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
(a) Anarchistic literature.
(b) Surrealist writing.
(c) Bataille's writing.
(d) Fascist rants.
4. With whose picture does Bataille say Nietzsche's picture was paired?
(b) Lou Andreas-Salomé's.
5. What does Bataille say the eye causes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What film does Bataille cite in "The Eye"?
2. How did fascists see Nietzsche?
3. Why is classical utility theory inadequate, in Bataille's opinion?
4. Under what conditions can a state be democratic, in Bataille's opinion?
5. Which of the following does Bataille NOT use as an example of unproductive expenditure without value beyond itself?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)