|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
(a) An eye of longing.
(b) An eye of judgment.
(c) An eye of surveillance.
(d) An eye of conscience.
2. What does Bataille describe as the only truly liberating act?
(a) Revolutionary destruction.
3. What does Bataille use as evidence of his position on dialectics?
(a) It is a law made by interested people trying to hide their interests.
(b) It does not account for avarice in the proletariat.
(c) It underestimates the value of aesthetics.
(d) It cannot explain the growth from child to adult.
4. How did Bataille rebel against his father?
(a) By taking lovers.
(b) By running away from home.
(c) By quitting school.
(d) By becoming a Protestant.
5. What relationship do the writings in Section II have to the writings in Section I?
(a) They were implicit in them.
(b) They were logical extensions.
(c) They were unrelated.
(d) They were unprecedented.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say Nietzsche questions?
2. When did Bataille form the Popular Front?
3. What is the first stage of revolution, in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
4. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
5. Where was Bataille born?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)