|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Bataille form the Popular Front?
2. Where did Bataille go to school?
(a) Ecole des Chartres.
(b) Lycée Henry IV.
(c) Lycée International.
(d) Ecole des Beaux Artes.
3. What type of men's 'being' does Bataille compare in "The Labyrinth"?
(a) A worker and a store-keeper.
(b) A worker and a sovereign.
(c) A man and a woman.
(d) An important man and a wanderer.
4. Why was it a mistake for Bataille to use his intellectual violence on Breton?
(a) Breton's friends excommunicated Bataille from the surrealist circles.
(b) Breton might have promoted it.
(c) Breton ruined Bataille in revenge.
(d) Bataille lost friends over the gratuitous attack.
5. What does Bataille say democracy is based on?
(a) Free elections.
(b) Free speech.
(c) A weak opposition.
(d) Open debate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did fascism use Nietzsche's writing to oppose?
2. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
3. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
4. What does Bataille define as a way to humiliate, defy, or obligate a poorer person as a show of destruction of wealth?
5. What principles does Bataille say men associate with the feet in "The Big Toe"?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)