|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do volcanoes serve as, in "The Solar Anus"?
(a) God's mouths.
(b) Mother earth's breasts.
(d) The earth's anus.
2. What does Bataille say Nietzschean pride comes from?
(a) Life's disintegration and the will to power.
(b) The need for individuality in times when individuality is impossible.
(c) The desire for personal power but not for social power.
(d) The power of language and the chaos of experience.
3. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) A childhood sickness of materialism.
(b) A reaction against childhood idealism.
(c) A surplus of idealism.
(d) A form of world-weariness.
4. Why did Bataille attack Nietzsche?
(a) For going insane.
(b) For admiring Emerson.
(c) For failing to embrace the decomposition of culture.
(d) For megalomania and failure of ideas.
5. Why was it a mistake for Bataille to use his intellectual violence on Breton?
(a) Breton might have promoted it.
(b) Breton's friends excommunicated Bataille from the surrealist circles.
(c) Bataille lost friends over the gratuitous attack.
(d) Breton ruined Bataille in revenge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
2. Whom did the Popular Front join with?
3. What tone did Andre Masson establish in his drawings?
4. What does standing upright do for man in "The Big Toe"?
5. What did Hegel claim about nature?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)