|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How should materialism be disclaimed, in "Materialism"?
(a) By replacing idealism with matter.
(b) By superseding idealism with dialogue.
(c) By including all idealism.
(d) By excluding all idealism.
2. What writer coined the term conspicuous consumption?
3. What kinds of expenditure does artistic production require?
(a) Religious or secular expenditure.
(b) Patron or market expenditure.
(c) Real or symbolic expenditure.
(d) Public or patron expenditure.
4. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
(a) Six months.
(b) Nine months.
(c) Fifteen months.
(d) Two years.
5. When did Bataille deny his faith?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what piece of writing did Bataille record his childhood?
2. What tone did Andre Masson establish in his drawings?
3. What does Bataille describe as the only truly liberating act?
4. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
5. Whom does Bataille contrast to the sovereign in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)