|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do flowers witness, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) Nothing but a moment in the life of the plant.
(b) The architectural order of fields and forests.
(c) The life and death of love.
(d) The reason for the plants' existence.
2. When did Bataille and his mother abandon his father?
(a) When the Germans arrived in 1915.
(b) When the father went insane.
(c) When the father was imprisoned.
(d) When the mother took a job in Paris.
3. What claim does Bataille discuss in "The Deviations of Nature"?
(a) That nothing is more horrifying than snakes.
(b) That nothing is more horrifying than man.
(c) That nothing is more horrifying that carnival freaks.
(d) That nothing is more horrifying than rats at carnivals.
4. What kinds of expenditure does artistic production require?
(a) Religious or secular expenditure.
(b) Public or patron expenditure.
(c) Patron or market expenditure.
(d) Real or symbolic expenditure.
5. What feeling does Bataille exaggerate in "The Lugubrious Game"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
2. What does the cross demand, at the end of "Sacrifices"?
3. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
4. What feeling does Bataille say grows in response to revolutionaries?
5. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)