|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who developed the theory of conspicuous consumption?
(a) Karl Marx.
(b) Max Weber.
(c) John Dewey.
(d) Thorstein Veblen.
2. What does the other self-mutilator (besides Van Gogh) do in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh"?
(a) Bite off his finger.
(b) Cut off his hand.
(c) Drink his own blood.
(d) Put out his eye.
3. What does Bataille use as evidence of his position on dialectics?
(a) It cannot explain the growth from child to adult.
(b) It does not account for avarice in the proletariat.
(c) It is a law made by interested people trying to hide their interests.
(d) It underestimates the value of aesthetics.
4. How does Bataille describe his father?
(a) Depressed and alcoholic.
(b) Blind, paralytic and syphilitic.
(c) Frequently ill and mentally unstable.
(d) Financially secure.
5. When did Bataille publish "W.C."?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille's 'me in the void' realize in "Sacrifices"?
2. How do the rats appear in "[Dream]"?
3. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
4. What was Bataille summing up in his "Propositions"?
5. What does the homogeneous part of society purchase?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)