|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III (1936-1939).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Bataille being punished for in "[Dream]"?
(a) Staying up too late.
(b) Seeing his parents naked.
(c) Wetting himself.
(d) Playing with a hoop.
2. What is the first stage of revolution, in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
(a) Portraying your revolution as a utopian project destined to succeed.
(b) Appropriating the language with which groups claim power.
(c) Staking a claim to a new kind of authority.
(d) Expelling a group from power.
3. What does the cross demand, at the end of "Sacrifices"?
(a) Freedom from struggle.
(b) Struggle with insurmountable obstacles.
(c) Struggle with the lower self.
(d) Embrace in struggle.
4. What did fascism use Nietzsche's writing to oppose?
(a) The current political system.
(c) The view of the past being taught in German schools.
(d) The policies of Daladier.
5. What writer coined the term conspicuous consumption?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Bataille leave his job in 1942?
2. What feeling does Bataille exaggerate in "The Lugubrious Game"?
3. When did Bataille publish "W.C."?
4. When did Bataille deny his faith?
5. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)