|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What form does Bataille take after being a boy in "[Dream]"?
(a) A girl.
(b) A priest.
(c) An American gentleman.
(d) A butcher.
2. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) As symbols for the experience and association of natural forms.
(b) As metaphors for other natural forms.
(c) As symbols of sacred abstraction.
(d) As primitive forms of the things themselves.
3. What strategy does Surrealism use for presenting images?
(a) Layers of each image are stripped away until the essential truth is apparent.
(b) The images are distorted beyond recognition.
(c) Images are piled on, one after another.
(d) Opposite images are contrasted.
4. Who contributed to "Documents"?
(a) Literary critics.
(c) Rebel surrealists.
5. What was Bataille being punished for in "[Dream]"?
(a) Seeing his parents naked.
(b) Playing with a hoop.
(c) Staying up too late.
(d) Wetting himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
2. What is the first stage of revolution, in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
3. How should materialism be disclaimed, in "Materialism"?
4. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
5. What film does Bataille cite in "The Eye"?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)