|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did Bataille join with to form the Popular Front?
2. What does Bataille say about monsters in "The Deviations of Nature"?
(a) That they are projections out of the ugliest part of humanity.
(b) That they are the best place to gain insight into people's feelings about themselves.
(c) That they are necessary to keep people in line.
(d) That they represent the opposite of geometric regularity of form.
3. How does Bataille describe his thinking in "Popular Front in the Street"?
(a) He said he could not escape from the logic of fascism.
(b) He said he worshiped the masses.
(c) He said he had an indomitable democratic streak.
(d) He said he had a paradoxical fascist tendency.
4. For what field did Bataille go to school?
(a) Renaissance art critic.
(d) Medieval librarian.
5. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) A childhood sickness of materialism.
(b) A form of world-weariness.
(c) A reaction against childhood idealism.
(d) A surplus of idealism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say was the driving force beneath his heterodox theory?
2. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
3. What did Bataille say about his book "W.C."?
4. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
5. What was the subject of Bataille's first pamphlet?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)