|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Bataille born?
2. What relationship do the writings in Section II have to the writings in Section I?
(a) They were unprecedented.
(b) They were implicit in them.
(c) They were unrelated.
(d) They were logical extensions.
3. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
(a) An eye of surveillance.
(b) An eye of conscience.
(c) An eye of longing.
(d) An eye of judgment.
4. What is the benefit Bataille sees to having more than one meaning in his work?
(a) It demonstrates the impossibility of truth.
(b) It keeps the reader uncomfortable.
(c) It keeps all Bataille's options open.
(d) It gives a clearer statement of his thought.
5. What critique does Bataille make in "The Critique of the Foundations of Hegelian Dialectic"?
(a) He criticizes the Oversoul as a childish fantasy.
(b) He mocks Marx and Engels for their idealism.
(c) He frees dialectical negation from Engels' mechanical abstraction.
(d) He demonstrated why dialectical materialism is inevitable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
2. Who contributed to "Documents"?
3. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
4. How does Bataille describe his work?
5. How does Bataille describe his father?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)