|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the mole stand for in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
2. What do flowers witness, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) The architectural order of fields and forests.
(b) Nothing but a moment in the life of the plant.
(c) The reason for the plants' existence.
(d) The life and death of love.
3. Where did "[Dream]" originate?
(a) In Bataille's marriage.
(b) In Bataille's imagination.
(c) In Bataille's psychoanalysis.
(d) In Bataille's childhood obsession with eyes.
4. What does standing upright do for man in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Distorts his vision with unnatural ideas.
(b) Lets him see things clearer.
(c) Hides his anus.
(d) Raises his head to the heavens.
5. What is the benefit Bataille sees to having more than one meaning in his work?
(a) It demonstrates the impossibility of truth.
(b) It keeps all Bataille's options open.
(c) It gives a clearer statement of his thought.
(d) It keeps the reader uncomfortable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What claim does Bataille discuss in "The Deviations of Nature"?
2. What does Bataille feel about the rats in "[Dream]"?
3. How would you describe the images Bataille presents?
4. For what field did Bataille go to school?
5. What writer coined the term conspicuous consumption?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)