|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the other self-mutilator (besides Van Gogh) do in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh"?
(a) Put out his eye.
(b) Bite off his finger.
(c) Drink his own blood.
(d) Cut off his hand.
2. What does Bataille say was the driving force beneath his heterodox theory?
(a) Homoerotic terror.
(b) Obsession with priests.
(c) Obsession with excrement.
(d) Oedipal terror.
3. Why did Bataille leave his job in 1942?
(a) He was ill.
(b) He fled the Germans.
(c) He died.
(d) He was fired.
4. What are flowers not matched by, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) A show of human love.
(b) The work of bees.
(c) The corrupt hands that pick them.
(d) The purity of the sunshine.
5. What was the subject of Bataille's first pamphlet?
(a) Criticism of his religion.
(b) Criticism of his father.
(c) Praise of Cathedral Notre Dame des Reims.
(d) Praise of his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What description fits with the "Acephale" group?
2. When did George Bataille die?
3. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
4. How does Bataille describe the mandrake root?
5. How does Bataille describe his father?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)