|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Bataille being punished for in "[Dream]"?
(a) Wetting himself.
(b) Staying up too late.
(c) Seeing his parents naked.
(d) Playing with a hoop.
2. What does Bataille say the eye causes?
3. What does Bataille say about monsters in "The Deviations of Nature"?
(a) That they are projections out of the ugliest part of humanity.
(b) That they are necessary to keep people in line.
(c) That they are the best place to gain insight into people's feelings about themselves.
(d) That they represent the opposite of geometric regularity of form.
4. When did Bataille form the Popular Front?
5. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) A form of world-weariness.
(b) A childhood sickness of materialism.
(c) A surplus of idealism.
(d) A reaction against childhood idealism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are flowers not matched by, in "The Language of Flowers"?
2. How does dialectic operate in "Notion of Expenditure"?
3. How does Bataille describe the Mithraic cult ritual of the sun in "Rotten Sun"?
4. Who arranged Bataille's psychoanalytic cure?
5. Why was Bataille annoyed while riding his bicycle?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)