|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first stage of revolution, in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
(a) Expelling a group from power.
(b) Portraying your revolution as a utopian project destined to succeed.
(c) Appropriating the language with which groups claim power.
(d) Staking a claim to a new kind of authority.
2. How should materialism be disclaimed, in "Materialism"?
(a) By including all idealism.
(b) By superseding idealism with dialogue.
(c) By replacing idealism with matter.
(d) By excluding all idealism.
3. When did Bataille deny his faith?
4. Why did Bataille attack Nietzsche?
(a) For going insane.
(b) For admiring Emerson.
(c) For failing to embrace the decomposition of culture.
(d) For megalomania and failure of ideas.
5. What does the title of "The Solar Anus" refer to?
(a) The blinding effect of seeing a girl's anus.
(b) The regeneration of the universe in stars that eat planets.
(c) The passage out of purgatory.
(d) The source of all matter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bataille describe the mandrake root?
2. What description fits with the "Acephale" group?
3. When was George Bataille born?
4. What critique does Bataille make in "The Critique of the Foundations of Hegelian Dialectic"?
5. What film does Bataille cite in "The Eye"?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)