|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bataille describe the mandrake root?
2. What does the other self-mutilator (besides Van Gogh) do in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh"?
(a) Drink his own blood.
(b) Cut off his hand.
(c) Put out his eye.
(d) Bite off his finger.
3. What strategy does Surrealism use for presenting images?
(a) The images are distorted beyond recognition.
(b) Layers of each image are stripped away until the essential truth is apparent.
(c) Images are piled on, one after another.
(d) Opposite images are contrasted.
4. What interrupts the road in "[Dream]"?
(c) Construction workers.
(d) Rats and vermin.
5. Whom did the Popular Front join with?
(a) Bureaucrats and Communists.
(b) Communists and Socialists.
(c) Democrats and Socialist Democrats.
(d) Fascists and totalitarians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Bataille's feelings for Breton?
2. When did Bataille and his mother abandon his father?
3. How does Bataille describe producing and selling in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
4. What flower is Marquis de Sade plucking petals off, at the end of "The Language of Flowers"?
5. What is the benefit Bataille sees to having more than one meaning in his work?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)