|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
(a) Destroying the foundation of wealth.
(b) Devaluing the trappings of wealth.
(c) Attacking the inequalities in the economy.
(d) Affirming the position of the rich.
2. When did Bataille and his mother abandon his father?
(a) When the father was imprisoned.
(b) When the father went insane.
(c) When the mother took a job in Paris.
(d) When the Germans arrived in 1915.
3. What does Bataille say coitus is associated with, in "The Solar Anus"?
4. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) A form of world-weariness.
(b) A surplus of idealism.
(c) A childhood sickness of materialism.
(d) A reaction against childhood idealism.
5. What two stances did Bataille combine?
(a) Fulfillment and hollowing of man.
(b) Sacrilege and holiness of religion.
(c) Elevation and desecration of man.
(d) Merging and independence of men and women.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the benefit Bataille sees to having more than one meaning in his work?
2. What were Bataille's feelings for Breton?
3. Where did Bataille go to school?
4. Whom does Bataille contrast to the sovereign in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
5. Where did "[Dream]" originate?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)