|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I (1927-1930).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille remember his father spanking him with in "[Dream]"?
(a) A whip.
(b) A bloody toad.
(c) A belt.
(d) A stick.
2. What does Bataille compare roots to, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) Human bodies.
(b) Visible leaves.
3. What does Bataille say about monsters in "The Deviations of Nature"?
(a) That they are the best place to gain insight into people's feelings about themselves.
(b) That they are necessary to keep people in line.
(c) That they represent the opposite of geometric regularity of form.
(d) That they are projections out of the ugliest part of humanity.
4. How would you describe the images Bataille presents?
5. What does the other self-mutilator (besides Van Gogh) do in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh"?
(a) Drink his own blood.
(b) Bite off his finger.
(c) Put out his eye.
(d) Cut off his hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. How should materialism be disclaimed, in "Materialism"?
2. What does Bataille feel about the rats in "[Dream]"?
3. Why was it a mistake for Bataille to use his intellectual violence on Breton?
4. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
5. How does Bataille describe his thinking in "Popular Front in the Street"?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)