|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Bataille leave his job in 1942?
(a) He was fired.
(b) He died.
(c) He was ill.
(d) He fled the Germans.
2. When was "Acephale" published?
(a) 1936 to 1939.
(b) 1933 to 1937.
(c) 1931 to 1944.
(d) 1942 to 1946.
3. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
(a) The attempt to translate sex into language.
(b) The attempt to free the eye from aesthetics.
(c) The attempt to rid one's thoughts of spiritualism.
(d) The desire to stop using language for natural functions.
4. What does Bataille say was the driving force beneath his heterodox theory?
(a) Obsession with excrement.
(b) Homoerotic terror.
(c) Obsession with priests.
(d) Oedipal terror.
5. What critique does Bataille make in "The Critique of the Foundations of Hegelian Dialectic"?
(a) He demonstrated why dialectical materialism is inevitable.
(b) He frees dialectical negation from Engels' mechanical abstraction.
(c) He mocks Marx and Engels for their idealism.
(d) He criticizes the Oversoul as a childish fantasy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do volcanoes serve as, in "The Solar Anus"?
2. What is the first stage of revolution, in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
3. When did Bataille publish "W.C."?
4. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
5. How long does Bataille ride his bicycle for in "[Dream]"?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)