|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
(a) Destroying the foundation of wealth.
(b) Affirming the position of the rich.
(c) Devaluing the trappings of wealth.
(d) Attacking the inequalities in the economy.
2. How does Bataille describe the Mithraic cult ritual of the sun in "Rotten Sun"?
(a) A worshiper puts out a priest's eye.
(b) A priest stares into the sun to have a vision.
(c) A priest cuts a victim's throat on an altar.
(d) A priest spatters a bull's blood on worshipers underneath.
3. Whom did Bataille join with to form the Popular Front?
4. Under what conditions can a state be democratic, in Bataille's opinion?
(a) When homogeneity happens spontaneously.
(b) When heterogeneity happens spontaneously.
(c) When homogeneity can be broken up peacefully.
(d) When heterogeneity can be controlled with force.
5. Who arranged Bataille's psychoanalytic cure?
(a) Dr. Jung.
(b) Dr. Dausse.
(c) Dr. Adler.
(d) Dr. Rank.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
2. How should materialism be disclaimed, in "Materialism"?
3. How does Bataille describe his father?
4. What feeling does Bataille exaggerate in "The Lugubrious Game"?
5. What does standing upright do for man in "The Big Toe"?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)