|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the essay "Sacrifices" used as?
(a) As a preface.
(b) A review.
(c) A criticism.
(d) A personal essay.
2. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
(a) An eye of surveillance.
(b) An eye of longing.
(c) An eye of judgment.
(d) An eye of conscience.
3. How does Bataille describe his memory of his father pulling down his pants in "[Dream]"?
(a) Terrible and magnificent.
(c) Humiliating and painful.
4. What are the two classes Bataille divides consumption into?
(a) Conservation of life and productive activity.
(b) Productive consumption and wasteful consumption.
(c) Sacrificial consumption and gift consumption.
(d) Conspicuous consumption and invisible consumption.
5. What feeling does Bataille exaggerate in "The Lugubrious Game"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Bataille being punished for in "[Dream]"?
2. How do the rats appear in "[Dream]"?
3. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
4. What principles does Bataille say men associate with height in "The Big Toe"?
5. What kinds of expenditure does artistic production require?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)