|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was it a mistake for Bataille to use his intellectual violence on Breton?
(a) Breton ruined Bataille in revenge.
(b) Bataille lost friends over the gratuitous attack.
(c) Breton might have promoted it.
(d) Breton's friends excommunicated Bataille from the surrealist circles.
2. What did professor Hartmann dispute about the treatment of the Marx/Hegel dialectic?
(a) He objects that it is only applicable in certain cases.
(b) He objects that it is not a law of reality.
(c) He objects that it is not grounded in political science.
(d) He objects that it is based on pseudo-science.
3. Whom did the Popular Front join with?
(a) Communists and Socialists.
(b) Fascists and totalitarians.
(c) Democrats and Socialist Democrats.
(d) Bureaucrats and Communists.
4. What value does money articulate for workers?
(a) The value of their ideas.
(b) The value of their status.
(c) The value of what they produce.
(d) The value of their personal worth.
5. For what field did Bataille go to school?
(c) Renaissance art critic.
(d) Medieval librarian.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bataille describe his thinking in "Popular Front in the Street"?
2. What did Bataille intend to define "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
3. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
4. How did Bataille rebel against his father?
5. What does Bataille define as a way to humiliate, defy, or obligate a poorer person as a show of destruction of wealth?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)