|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What writer coined the term conspicuous consumption?
2. When is the 'me' free to accept individuality and transcendence, in Bataille's opinion in "Sacrifices"?
(a) When it is dying in peace.
(b) When it is dying by violence.
(c) When it is dying in freedom.
(d) When it is dying in religion.
3. How does Bataille describe his father?
(a) Depressed and alcoholic.
(b) Frequently ill and mentally unstable.
(c) Blind, paralytic and syphilitic.
(d) Financially secure.
4. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
(a) The attempt to free the eye from aesthetics.
(b) The attempt to translate sex into language.
(c) The desire to stop using language for natural functions.
(d) The attempt to rid one's thoughts of spiritualism.
5. What interrupts the road in "[Dream]"?
(b) Rats and vermin.
(d) Construction workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would you describe the images Bataille presents?
2. What does the homogeneous part of society purchase?
3. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
4. How does dialectic operate in "Notion of Expenditure"?
5. What did Hegel claim about nature?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)