|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
(a) An eye of conscience.
(b) An eye of judgment.
(c) An eye of surveillance.
(d) An eye of longing.
2. What was the "Acephale" group's primary purpose?
(a) To annihilate the idea of God.
(b) To kill God.
(c) To recreate the myth of God.
(d) To come into contact with God in men.
3. Whom does Bataille refer to as untouchables in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
(a) The sovereign.
(b) The workers.
(c) The impoverished.
(d) The rich.
4. What do flowers witness, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) The reason for the plants' existence.
(b) Nothing but a moment in the life of the plant.
(c) The life and death of love.
(d) The architectural order of fields and forests.
5. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
(a) Surrealist writing.
(b) Bataille's writing.
(c) Anarchistic literature.
(d) Fascist rants.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Engels and Hartmann differ on the tenets of Hegel's "Philosophy of Nature"?
2. When did Bataille publish "W.C."?
3. How does bourgeois society enslave and degrade poor men, in Bataille's opinion?
4. What did Hegel claim about nature?
5. What did Bataille say about his book "W.C."?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)