|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the homogeneous part of society purchase?
2. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) A form of world-weariness.
(b) A reaction against childhood idealism.
(c) A surplus of idealism.
(d) A childhood sickness of materialism.
3. Which of the following does Bataille NOT use as an example of unproductive expenditure without value beyond itself?
(d) Public gardens.
4. How is the question of 'what exists compared to what appears' resolved, in "Sacrifices"?
(a) By unraveling the mystery of language.
(b) By moving beyond questions of present and past.
(c) By answering what is required to exist for moral value.
(d) By accepting the duality of latent and manifest action.
5. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) As symbols of sacred abstraction.
(b) As symbols for the experience and association of natural forms.
(c) As metaphors for other natural forms.
(d) As primitive forms of the things themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was it a mistake for Bataille to use his intellectual violence on Breton?
2. How does Bataille describe the Mithraic cult ritual of the sun in "Rotten Sun"?
3. What did Bataille write while he was working?
4. What did Breton call Bataille?
5. How does dialectic operate in "Notion of Expenditure"?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)