|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille say was the driving force beneath his heterodox theory?
(a) Homoerotic terror.
(b) Oedipal terror.
(c) Obsession with priests.
(d) Obsession with excrement.
2. How does "The Language of Flowers" end?
(a) With students strangling a young woman.
(b) With Sade tossing flower petals into a ditch of manure.
(c) With Count Leopold von Sacher-Masoch putting out a priest's eye.
(d) With a girl being sent away to school.
3. What was Breton's response to Bataille?
(a) He lamented the absence of any real philosophy at the core of Bataille's writing.
(b) He condemned his pathological reasoning to the unreasonable.
(c) He praised the shocking images that would disturb the bourgeoisie.
(d) He refuted Bataille's arguments.
4. What does the title of "The Solar Anus" refer to?
(a) The regeneration of the universe in stars that eat planets.
(b) The blinding effect of seeing a girl's anus.
(c) The source of all matter.
(d) The passage out of purgatory.
5. How does surrealism rebel at first, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
(a) With all the proletarians.
(b) With all-out deformation of images.
(c) With subtle disorientation of meaning.
(d) Without the lower classes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
2. What does standing upright do for man in "The Big Toe"?
3. Why was it a mistake for Bataille to use his intellectual violence on Breton?
4. In what piece of writing did Bataille record his childhood?
5. In whose hands does Bataille describe conspicuous consumption as a tool?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)