|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are flowers not matched by, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) The corrupt hands that pick them.
(b) The work of bees.
(c) The purity of the sunshine.
(d) A show of human love.
2. How did Andre Masson establish the tone of his book of drawings?
(a) With a drawing of a prostitute.
(b) With a drawing of a syphilis cell.
(c) With a drawing of God parting the clouds in judgment.
(d) With a drawing of an acephalic man.
3. What does homogeneity depend on?
(a) Workers owning the means of production.
(b) Continual revolution.
(c) A productive system.
(d) Owners keeping the workers down.
4. What critique does Bataille make in "The Critique of the Foundations of Hegelian Dialectic"?
(a) He frees dialectical negation from Engels' mechanical abstraction.
(b) He mocks Marx and Engels for their idealism.
(c) He demonstrated why dialectical materialism is inevitable.
(d) He criticizes the Oversoul as a childish fantasy.
5. How does Bataille describe his thinking in "Popular Front in the Street"?
(a) He said he had an indomitable democratic streak.
(b) He said he had a paradoxical fascist tendency.
(c) He said he could not escape from the logic of fascism.
(d) He said he worshiped the masses.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Bataille rebel against his father?
2. Where was Bataille born?
3. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
4. How does bourgeois society enslave and degrade poor men, in Bataille's opinion?
5. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)