|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
(a) Nine months.
(b) Fifteen months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two years.
2. What does Bataille say coitus is associated with, in "The Solar Anus"?
3. Where did "[Dream]" originate?
(a) In Bataille's psychoanalysis.
(b) In Bataille's marriage.
(c) In Bataille's childhood obsession with eyes.
(d) In Bataille's imagination.
4. What are the two classes Bataille divides consumption into?
(a) Conspicuous consumption and invisible consumption.
(b) Conservation of life and productive activity.
(c) Productive consumption and wasteful consumption.
(d) Sacrificial consumption and gift consumption.
5. How did Bataille rebel against his father?
(a) By quitting school.
(b) By becoming a Protestant.
(c) By taking lovers.
(d) By running away from home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What critique does Bataille make in "The Critique of the Foundations of Hegelian Dialectic"?
2. How did Engels and Hartmann differ on the tenets of Hegel's "Philosophy of Nature"?
3. What two stances did Bataille combine?
4. What does the cross demand, at the end of "Sacrifices"?
5. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)