|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the other self-mutilator (besides Van Gogh) do in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh"?
(a) Bite off his finger.
(b) Drink his own blood.
(c) Cut off his hand.
(d) Put out his eye.
2. What does Bataille say scientists said about the dialectic?
(a) It was the one true science.
(b) It was demonstrated in evolution.
(c) It was a matter of faith.
(d) It was incompatible with science.
3. What does the title of "The Solar Anus" refer to?
(a) The passage out of purgatory.
(b) The blinding effect of seeing a girl's anus.
(c) The source of all matter.
(d) The regeneration of the universe in stars that eat planets.
4. What does Bataille say would result from a difference of events in his experience?
(a) He would be at war with himself.
(b) He would reveal his alter-ego.
(c) He would be an other.
(d) He would have to confront his true self.
5. What does Bataille use as evidence of his position on dialectics?
(a) It underestimates the value of aesthetics.
(b) It cannot explain the growth from child to adult.
(c) It is a law made by interested people trying to hide their interests.
(d) It does not account for avarice in the proletariat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bataille say about his book "W.C."?
2. How long does Bataille ride his bicycle for in "[Dream]"?
3. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
4. How does Bataille describe his father?
5. What does Bataille say the theory of conspicuous consumption is used for?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)