|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
(a) Attacking the inequalities in the economy.
(b) Devaluing the trappings of wealth.
(c) Destroying the foundation of wealth.
(d) Affirming the position of the rich.
2. What kinds of expenditure does artistic production require?
(a) Real or symbolic expenditure.
(b) Religious or secular expenditure.
(c) Patron or market expenditure.
(d) Public or patron expenditure.
3. What does Bataille say was the driving force beneath his heterodox theory?
(a) Oedipal terror.
(b) Obsession with excrement.
(c) Homoerotic terror.
(d) Obsession with priests.
4. What does the homogeneous part of society purchase?
5. Where did "[Dream]" originate?
(a) In Bataille's childhood obsession with eyes.
(b) In Bataille's imagination.
(c) In Bataille's marriage.
(d) In Bataille's psychoanalysis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Breton's response to Bataille?
2. How does dialectic operate in "Notion of Expenditure"?
3. What does Bataille say the theory of conspicuous consumption is used for?
4. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
5. Under whom does fascism unite society, in Bataille's account?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)