|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the essay "Sacrifices" used as?
(a) A personal essay.
(b) As a preface.
(c) A review.
(d) A criticism.
2. What relationship between events and things is Bataille describing in "The Solar Anus"?
3. What flower is Marquis de Sade plucking petals off, at the end of "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) A daisy.
(b) A rose.
(c) A carnation.
(d) A lily.
4. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
(a) The attempt to translate sex into language.
(b) The desire to stop using language for natural functions.
(c) The attempt to free the eye from aesthetics.
(d) The attempt to rid one's thoughts of spiritualism.
5. What does Bataille say about monsters in "The Deviations of Nature"?
(a) That they are the best place to gain insight into people's feelings about themselves.
(b) That they are necessary to keep people in line.
(c) That they are projections out of the ugliest part of humanity.
(d) That they represent the opposite of geometric regularity of form.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Bataille NOT use as an example of unproductive expenditure without value beyond itself?
2. In whose hands does Bataille describe conspicuous consumption as a tool?
3. What does Bataille's 'me in the void' realize in "Sacrifices"?
4. What were Bataille's feelings for Breton?
5. What film does Bataille cite in "The Eye"?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)