|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) As metaphors for other natural forms.
(b) As primitive forms of the things themselves.
(c) As symbols of sacred abstraction.
(d) As symbols for the experience and association of natural forms.
2. What are the two classes Bataille divides consumption into?
(a) Conservation of life and productive activity.
(b) Conspicuous consumption and invisible consumption.
(c) Sacrificial consumption and gift consumption.
(d) Productive consumption and wasteful consumption.
3. What feeling does Bataille say grows in response to revolutionaries?
4. What was Breton's response to Bataille?
(a) He condemned his pathological reasoning to the unreasonable.
(b) He praised the shocking images that would disturb the bourgeoisie.
(c) He lamented the absence of any real philosophy at the core of Bataille's writing.
(d) He refuted Bataille's arguments.
5. What does the other self-mutilator (besides Van Gogh) do in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh"?
(a) Put out his eye.
(b) Bite off his finger.
(c) Drink his own blood.
(d) Cut off his hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say the eye causes?
2. What does the cross demand, at the end of "Sacrifices"?
3. What is the first stage of revolution, in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
4. How does Bataille describe his thinking in "Popular Front in the Street"?
5. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)