|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What flower is Marquis de Sade plucking petals off, at the end of "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) A lily.
(b) A carnation.
(c) A daisy.
(d) A rose.
2. What writer coined the term conspicuous consumption?
3. Where did Engels look for examples to test the dialectic method of Marx and Hegel?
(b) Lived experience.
4. What film does Bataille cite in "The Eye"?
(a) The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.
(b) That Obscure Object of Desire.
(c) Andalusian Dog.
(d) L'Age d'Or.
5. What do flowers witness, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) The architectural order of fields and forests.
(b) The life and death of love.
(c) The reason for the plants' existence.
(d) Nothing but a moment in the life of the plant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does homogeneity depend on?
2. How did Bataille rebel against his father?
3. What does Bataille claim the world is in "The Solar Anus"?
4. Who arranged Bataille's psychoanalytic cure?
5. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)