|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Bataille NOT use as an example of unproductive expenditure without value beyond itself?
(c) Public gardens.
2. How does Bataille describe his thinking in "Popular Front in the Street"?
(a) He said he had an indomitable democratic streak.
(b) He said he worshiped the masses.
(c) He said he had a paradoxical fascist tendency.
(d) He said he could not escape from the logic of fascism.
3. Why was Bataille annoyed while riding his bicycle?
(a) The house was too small for his turns.
(b) The schoolyard was fenced in.
(c) The pavement was broken up by streetcar tracks.
(d) The sand was slushy with high tide.
4. What does Bataille's 'me in the void' realize in "Sacrifices"?
(a) That he has dominion over everything.
(b) That he might have to create himself.
(c) That he doesn't exist.
(d) That he might cease to exist.
5. What film does Bataille cite in "The Eye"?
(a) That Obscure Object of Desire.
(b) L'Age d'Or.
(c) The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.
(d) Andalusian Dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille use as evidence of his position on dialectics?
2. Under whom does fascism unite society, in Bataille's account?
3. Who arranged Bataille's psychoanalytic cure?
4. Why is classical utility theory inadequate, in Bataille's opinion?
5. How did Engels and Hartmann differ on the tenets of Hegel's "Philosophy of Nature"?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)