|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bataille describe his father?
(a) Depressed and alcoholic.
(b) Financially secure.
(c) Frequently ill and mentally unstable.
(d) Blind, paralytic and syphilitic.
2. Under whom does fascism unite society, in Bataille's account?
(a) A leader who represents the aristocratic self.
(b) A leader who represents the lower common denominator of society.
(c) A leader who identifies with the state.
(d) A leader who identifies with the individual everyman.
3. Whom does Bataille contrast to the sovereign in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
(a) The ignoble workers.
(b) The middle class merchant.
(c) The Jews.
(d) The aristocrats.
4. What does Bataille describe in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
(a) How Marx's dialectic method was critiqued.
(b) How Hegel's dialectic method inspired revolutions.
(c) How Marx's dialectic method was developed.
(d) How Marx's dialectic method was misinterpreted.
5. What does Bataille say poor people cannot stop rich people from doing?
(a) Wasting resources.
(b) Helping the poor.
(c) Buying influence.
(d) Eluding prosecution for crimes.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was "Acephale" published?
2. Where does fascism originate?
3. What writer coined the term conspicuous consumption?
4. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
5. What did Hegel claim about nature?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)