|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Bataille refer to as untouchables in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
(a) The rich.
(b) The sovereign.
(c) The workers.
(d) The impoverished.
2. In what piece of writing did Bataille record his childhood?
(a) The Eye.
(b) The Lugubrious Game.
(d) The Language of Flowers.
3. What does the other self-mutilator (besides Van Gogh) do in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh"?
(a) Cut off his hand.
(b) Put out his eye.
(c) Drink his own blood.
(d) Bite off his finger.
4. How did Bataille relate to Andre Masson's drawings?
(a) He saw himself as the lines and the paper themselves.
(b) He saw himself as the self in flight.
(c) He saw himself as the entire cosmos.
(d) He saw himself as the sick man.
5. What did "Acephale" primarily consist of?
(a) Bataille's writing.
(b) Surrealist writing.
(c) Fascist rants.
(d) Anarchistic literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say the eye causes?
2. What does Bataille remember his father spanking him with in "[Dream]"?
3. What do flowers witness, in "The Language of Flowers"?
4. What does Bataille say would result from a difference of events in his experience?
5. Where did Engels look for examples to test the dialectic method of Marx and Hegel?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)