|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the other self-mutilator (besides Van Gogh) do in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh"?
(a) Cut off his hand.
(b) Drink his own blood.
(c) Bite off his finger.
(d) Put out his eye.
2. What feeling does Bataille exaggerate in "The Lugubrious Game"?
3. What does Bataille describe in "The Critique of the Foundations of the Hegelian Dialectic"?
(a) How Marx's dialectic method was misinterpreted.
(b) How Hegel's dialectic method inspired revolutions.
(c) How Marx's dialectic method was developed.
(d) How Marx's dialectic method was critiqued.
4. How should materialism be disclaimed, in "Materialism"?
(a) By excluding all idealism.
(b) By including all idealism.
(c) By replacing idealism with matter.
(d) By superseding idealism with dialogue.
5. What does Bataille define as a way to humiliate, defy, or obligate a poorer person as a show of destruction of wealth?
(c) Government subsidies.
(d) Public Assistance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two stances did Bataille combine?
2. How did Leiris portray Bataille to Breton?
3. What is the first stage of revolution, in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
4. What relationship between events and things is Bataille describing in "The Solar Anus"?
5. What does Bataille say was the driving force beneath his heterodox theory?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)