|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille say scientists said about the dialectic?
(a) It was the one true science.
(b) It was incompatible with science.
(c) It was a matter of faith.
(d) It was demonstrated in evolution.
2. How do philosophers use natural forms, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) As primitive forms of the things themselves.
(b) As symbols for the experience and association of natural forms.
(c) As symbols of sacred abstraction.
(d) As metaphors for other natural forms.
3. What relationship between events and things is Bataille describing in "The Solar Anus"?
4. What is classical utility theory inadequate to define, in Bataille's opinion?
(a) What is aesthetically valuable.
(b) What is useful to man.
(c) The value of tranquility.
(d) The value of religious belief.
5. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Bataille being punished for in "[Dream]"?
2. How did Bataille rebel against his father?
3. What does the title of "The Solar Anus" refer to?
4. Where did "[Dream]" originate?
5. What does Bataille say surrealism is, in "The 'Old Mole' and the Prefix Sur in the Words Surhomme [Superman] and Surrealist"?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)