|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Bataille recall riding his bicycle in Reims, in "[Dream]"?
(a) In the schoolyard.
(b) In his house.
(c) Through the streets.
(d) On the beach.
2. What description fits with the "Acephale" group?
(a) Political underground.
(b) Secret society.
(c) Literature brotherhood.
(d) Community organizers.
3. How does Bataille describe the Mithraic cult ritual of the sun in "Rotten Sun"?
(a) A priest spatters a bull's blood on worshipers underneath.
(b) A priest cuts a victim's throat on an altar.
(c) A worshiper puts out a priest's eye.
(d) A priest stares into the sun to have a vision.
4. In what piece of writing did Bataille record his childhood?
(a) The Language of Flowers.
(b) The Lugubrious Game.
(c) The Eye.
5. How is the question of 'what exists compared to what appears' resolved, in "Sacrifices"?
(a) By moving beyond questions of present and past.
(b) By unraveling the mystery of language.
(c) By accepting the duality of latent and manifest action.
(d) By answering what is required to exist for moral value.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Leiris portray Bataille to Breton?
2. What are the two forms of heterogeneity Bataille introduces in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
3. Under what conditions can a state be democratic, in Bataille's opinion?
4. How does "The Language of Flowers" end?
5. What strategy does Surrealism use for presenting images?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)