|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Engels look for examples to test the dialectic method of Marx and Hegel?
(d) Lived experience.
2. In whose hands does Bataille describe conspicuous consumption as a tool?
(a) The intelligentsia.
(b) The rich.
(c) The poor.
(d) The middle class.
3. What paradoxical action does Bataille describe in "Materialism"?
(a) The attempt to rid one's thoughts of spiritualism.
(b) The desire to stop using language for natural functions.
(c) The attempt to free the eye from aesthetics.
(d) The attempt to translate sex into language.
4. What does standing upright do for man in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Hides his anus.
(b) Distorts his vision with unnatural ideas.
(c) Lets him see things clearer.
(d) Raises his head to the heavens.
5. What interrupts the road in "[Dream]"?
(a) Rats and vermin.
(d) Construction workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the benefit Bataille sees to having more than one meaning in his work?
2. How did Andre Masson establish the tone of his book of drawings?
3. What are the two forms of heterogeneity Bataille introduces in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
4. What feeling does Bataille exaggerate in "The Lugubrious Game"?
5. Why was Bataille annoyed while riding his bicycle?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)