|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relationship do the writings in Section II have to the writings in Section I?
(a) They were unrelated.
(b) They were unprecedented.
(c) They were logical extensions.
(d) They were implicit in them.
2. What was Bataille afraid of as a child?
(c) The Rain.
3. Why did Bataille attack Nietzsche?
(a) For failing to embrace the decomposition of culture.
(b) For megalomania and failure of ideas.
(c) For going insane.
(d) For admiring Emerson.
4. What does Bataille say scientists said about the dialectic?
(a) It was the one true science.
(b) It was a matter of faith.
(c) It was demonstrated in evolution.
(d) It was incompatible with science.
5. What flower is Marquis de Sade plucking petals off, at the end of "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) A rose.
(b) A lily.
(c) A daisy.
(d) A carnation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feeling does Bataille say grows in response to revolutionaries?
2. What does the other self-mutilator (besides Van Gogh) do in "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh"?
3. How did Leiris portray Bataille to Breton?
4. Where did Engels look for examples to test the dialectic method of Marx and Hegel?
5. What relationship between events and things is Bataille describing in "The Solar Anus"?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)