|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille say is the contradiction in Christians worshiping God?
(a) They elevate God's power, but claim it for themselves alone.
(b) They hold people to scripture in private life but not in the marketplace.
(c) They only go to church one day a week, but work the other six in profane employments.
(d) They keep the poor down while their worship exalts them.
2. What does homogeneity depend on?
(a) Owners keeping the workers down.
(b) A productive system.
(c) Continual revolution.
(d) Workers owning the means of production.
3. What do flowers witness, in "The Language of Flowers"?
(a) The life and death of love.
(b) Nothing but a moment in the life of the plant.
(c) The architectural order of fields and forests.
(d) The reason for the plants' existence.
4. What does the title of "The Solar Anus" refer to?
(a) The source of all matter.
(b) The blinding effect of seeing a girl's anus.
(c) The passage out of purgatory.
(d) The regeneration of the universe in stars that eat planets.
5. What does Bataille say scientists said about the dialectic?
(a) It was a matter of faith.
(b) It was demonstrated in evolution.
(c) It was incompatible with science.
(d) It was the one true science.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first stage of revolution, in "The Use Value of D. A. F. de Sade"?
2. What does Bataille say dominates history in "Popular Front in the Street"?
3. How did Engels and Hartmann differ on the tenets of Hegel's "Philosophy of Nature"?
4. What does the cross demand, at the end of "Sacrifices"?
5. What effect do flowers have on love, in "The Language of Flowers"?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)