|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What writer coined the term conspicuous consumption?
2. What strategy does Surrealism use for presenting images?
(a) Opposite images are contrasted.
(b) The images are distorted beyond recognition.
(c) Images are piled on, one after another.
(d) Layers of each image are stripped away until the essential truth is apparent.
3. Whom does Bataille contrast to the sovereign in "Psychological Structure of Fascism"?
(a) The aristocrats.
(b) The middle class merchant.
(c) The ignoble workers.
(d) The Jews.
4. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
(a) Attacking the inequalities in the economy.
(b) Devaluing the trappings of wealth.
(c) Affirming the position of the rich.
(d) Destroying the foundation of wealth.
5. What does Bataille say his father looked like in "[Dream]"?
(a) A toad.
(b) A vulture.
(c) A star.
(d) A house.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does dialectic operate in "Notion of Expenditure"?
2. Whom did the Popular Front join with?
3. What does Bataille say dominates history in "Popular Front in the Street"?
4. What does Bataille say the theory of conspicuous consumption is used for?
5. What approaches to Hegel's philosophy did Nicolai Hartmann compare?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)