|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Bataille deny his faith?
2. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
(b) Eating each other.
(c) Trying to bite.
(d) Eating garbage.
3. What does the homogeneous part of society purchase?
4. What strategy does Surrealism use for presenting images?
(a) The images are distorted beyond recognition.
(b) Layers of each image are stripped away until the essential truth is apparent.
(c) Images are piled on, one after another.
(d) Opposite images are contrasted.
5. What characterizes man in "The Eye"?
(a) Longing for purity.
(b) Desire for violence and violation.
(c) Horror of eyes and insects.
(d) Longing for sacrilege.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what field did Bataille go to school?
2. What are the two classes Bataille divides consumption into?
3. What does Bataille say the theory of conspicuous consumption is used for?
4. What does Bataille use as evidence of his position on dialectics?
5. In "Sacrificial Mutilation and the Severed Ear of Vincent Van Gogh", how long does Bataille say it took Van Gogh to paint suns after his self-mutilation?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)