|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bataille say the theory of conspicuous consumption is used for?
(a) Keeping the poor weak.
(b) Giving the poor opportunities.
(c) Preserving segregation between rich and poor.
(d) Melting different cultures together in America.
2. Where did Bataille go to school?
(a) Ecole des Beaux Artes.
(b) Lycée Henry IV.
(c) Lycée International.
(d) Ecole des Chartres.
3. For what field did Bataille go to school?
(a) Renaissance art critic.
(b) Medieval librarian.
4. What does Bataille say was the driving force beneath his heterodox theory?
(a) Obsession with priests.
(b) Obsession with excrement.
(c) Homoerotic terror.
(d) Oedipal terror.
5. What did professor Hartmann dispute about the treatment of the Marx/Hegel dialectic?
(a) He objects that it is based on pseudo-science.
(b) He objects that it is not a law of reality.
(c) He objects that it is only applicable in certain cases.
(d) He objects that it is not grounded in political science.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say his father looked like in "[Dream]"?
2. What did Hegel claim about nature?
3. How does Bataille describe his work?
4. What is the benefit Bataille sees to having more than one meaning in his work?
5. What characterizes man in "The Eye"?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)