|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Bataille and his mother abandon his father?
(a) When the mother took a job in Paris.
(b) When the father was imprisoned.
(c) When the father went insane.
(d) When the Germans arrived in 1915.
2. For what field did Bataille go to school?
(a) Renaissance art critic.
(b) Medieval librarian.
3. What principles does Bataille say men associate with height in "The Big Toe"?
(a) Strength and authority.
(b) Trustworthiness and leadership.
(c) Power and danger.
(d) Good and light.
4. Who contributed to "Documents"?
(c) Rebel surrealists.
(d) Literary critics.
5. What kind of eye does Victor Hugo describe in a poem Bataille cites?
(a) An eye of longing.
(b) An eye of surveillance.
(c) An eye of conscience.
(d) An eye of judgment.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bataille describe his work?
2. What did Bataille write while he was working?
3. What does standing upright do for man in "The Big Toe"?
4. What is the benefit Bataille sees to having more than one meaning in his work?
5. What does Bataille say conspicuous consumption was used for?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)