|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section II (1932-1935).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What film does Bataille cite in "The Eye"?
(a) L'Age d'Or.
(b) The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.
(c) Andalusian Dog.
(d) That Obscure Object of Desire.
2. What strategy does Surrealism use for presenting images?
(a) Images are piled on, one after another.
(b) Layers of each image are stripped away until the essential truth is apparent.
(c) Opposite images are contrasted.
(d) The images are distorted beyond recognition.
3. What did Bataille describe in "The Lugubrious Game"?
(a) Sex play with eyeballs.
(b) Anal fixation.
(c) A brown smudge.
4. What does Bataille say the eye causes?
5. How does bourgeois society enslave and degrade poor men, in Bataille's opinion?
(a) By forcing them to compete with machines.
(b) By keeping them poor.
(c) By preventing them getting medical attention.
(d) By showering them with goods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bataille say was the driving force beneath his heterodox theory?
2. How does Bataille describe the mandrake root?
3. What are the rats doing in "[Dream]"?
4. Who contributed to "Documents"?
5. When did Bataille publish "W.C."?
This section contains 189 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)