1. When was George Bataille born?
2. When did George Bataille die?
3. Where was Bataille born?
4. When did Bataille and his mother abandon his father?
(a) When the father went insane.
(b) When the Germans arrived in 1915.
(c) When the mother took a job in Paris.
(d) When the father was imprisoned.
5. How does Bataille describe his father?
(a) Frequently ill and mentally unstable.
(b) Financially secure.
(c) Blind, paralytic and syphilitic.
(d) Depressed and alcoholic.
6. In what piece of writing did Bataille record his childhood?
(a) The Eye.
(b) The Lugubrious Game.
(c) The Language of Flowers.
7. How did Bataille rebel against his father?
(a) By running away from home.
(b) By quitting school.
(c) By becoming a Protestant.
(d) By taking lovers.
8. When did Bataille publish his first pamphlet?
9. When did Bataille deny his faith?
10. What was the subject of Bataille's first pamphlet?
(a) Praise of his mother.
(b) Criticism of his father.
(c) Criticism of his religion.
(d) Praise of Cathedral Notre Dame des Reims.
This section contains 4,771 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)