|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What don't insane people do, according to George?
2. Who answers the door when Nick and Honey arrive?
3. From what age have Honey and Nick known each other?
4. Which of these is not among the topics of which George claims to have limited knowledge?
5. Which of these is not a French insult that George and Martha hurl at each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Martha's response to Nick's offer to protect her?
2. How does Martha convince George to leave her and Nick alone?
3. How does George explain his son's habit of throwing up?
4. Describe the movie that Martha references at the beginning of the play.
5. Describe Martha's monologue concerning her one true love.
6. What confession does Honey make?
7. Where does the title of the play come from?
8. Describe how Nick and Honey decided to marry.
9. What does George do at the end of Martha's boxing story?
10. Why does George not dance?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Nick's character arc. How does he change from the beginning of the play to the end? What has he learned about himself, his career, and his marriage, and what has he lost?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the decision by Edward Albee to name his leads characters, George and Martha, after the first president and his wife. Citing examples from the text, defend your thesis statement.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of violence in the play, both physical and verbal. Which is more effective in the narrative? Use specific examples from the play to defend your position.
This section contains 1,908 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)