|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Martha accuse George of putting too little of in her drinks?
2. What animal sound does George make late in this section?
3. What did George do at the party when someone sang the Virginia Woolf song, according to Martha?
4. Why did George run the History Department for four years?
5. Which of the following is not a location that George has found Martha's cocktail glasses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Martha's monologue concerning her one true love.
2. Describe George and Martha's bit involving a kiss.
3. How does George describe Martha's father?
4. What is the topic of the book that Martha's father would not let George publish?
5. Describe the moment at the faculty party that Martha describes and how it affected her.
6. Describe Martha's first marriage.
7. Where does the title of the play come from?
8. What is Nick's plan to gain control of the university?
9. What are some of the admonishments that George gives Martha in this section?
10. Describe George's "party games" bit.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to write an essay:
1.) How is the university system portrayed in the play? Is it portrayed as high-minded in any way? What kind of skills are required to be successful in the university? Use George and Nick's conversations as corroboration.
2.) Discuss the role of professor's lives in the larger setting of the play. In what ways ere they integral to both the political and social landscape of the college. How do Honey and Martha represent two important functions of university wives?
3.) Compare and contract Nick and George's attitudes toward the university. What will Nick do for advancement that George will not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about George's unpublished book. How has George taken a real event from his life, fictionalized it, and then recreated it in has life as a separate event? What does this say about him as a character?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the three games that the are played over the course of the play. Who drives the game, and what is its objective:
Part 1) Humiliate the Host
Part 2) Get the Guests
Part 3) Bringing Up Baby
This section contains 2,009 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)