|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sport does George invite Nick to play with him?
2. How old will George and Martha's son be tomorrow?
3. On what day of the week does the play take place?
4. Where did George go on his first vacation from prep school?
5. What don't insane people do, according to George?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the moment at the faculty party that Martha describes and how it affected her.
2. Describe George and Martha's bit involving a kiss.
3. Describe Martha's monologue concerning her one true love.
4. How does Martha describe Nick and Honey?
5. How does George describe Martha's father?
6. Why does George not dance?
7. Describe the cloistered world that George and Martha have created at the beginning of the play.
8. Where does the title of the play come from?
9. What is the reason George gives for talking at such length about Nick's life?
10. What is Nick's plan to gain control of the university?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the meaning of the song "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" Use specific instances in the play when it is used by characters, and examine why they sing it. Use these instances to justify your thesis as to the song's meaning.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Nick's character arc. How does he change from the beginning of the play to the end? What has he learned about himself, his career, and his marriage, and what has he lost?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of violence in the play, both physical and verbal. Which is more effective in the narrative? Use specific examples from the play to defend your position.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)