|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two descriptors does Martha confuse in comparing biology and math?
2. What new nickname does Martha give George in the second half of Act 1?
3. How old does George tell Nick Martha is?
4. What does George accuse Martha of doing during these faculty parties?
5. What does Honey say Martha is doing upstairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Martha's monologue concerning her one true love.
2. How does the relationship between George and Martha seem different when he returns home?
3. What is Martha's reaction to Get the Guests?
4. Describe the moment at the faculty party that Martha describes and how it affected her.
5. How does George kill their son?
6. Describe George's "party games" bit.
7. Describe George's reaction to Martha's seduction of Nick.
8. What is Martha's relationship with her father?
9. What is the reason George gives for talking at such length about Nick's life?
10. What do George and Martha do with their tears?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the meaning of the song "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" Use specific instances in the play when it is used by characters, and examine why they sing it. Use these instances to justify your thesis as to the song's meaning.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to write an essay:
1.) How is the university system portrayed in the play? Is it portrayed as high-minded in any way? What kind of skills are required to be successful in the university? Use George and Nick's conversations as corroboration.
2.) Discuss the role of professor's lives in the larger setting of the play. In what ways ere they integral to both the political and social landscape of the college. How do Honey and Martha represent two important functions of university wives?
3.) Compare and contract Nick and George's attitudes toward the university. What will Nick do for advancement that George will not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the three games that the are played over the course of the play. Who drives the game, and what is its objective:
Part 1) Humiliate the Host
Part 2) Get the Guests
Part 3) Bringing Up Baby
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)