|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a degree that George lists for himself?
2. Which of these is not a French insult that George and Martha hurl at each other?
3. What nationality does George say the man who painted their abstract painting is?
4. What don't insane people do, according to George?
5. What comes out of the toy shotgun that George fires?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does George set Martha up for embarrassment as he opens the door?
2. How does George explain his son's habit of throwing up?
3. How did Honey's family come to be so wealthy?
4. What is Nick's plan to gain control of the university?
5. What is the topic of the book that Martha's father would not let George publish?
6. How does the relationship between George and Martha seem different when he returns home?
7. Describe the movie that Martha references at the beginning of the play.
8. What do George and Martha do with their tears?
9. Describe Honey.
10. Describe how Nick and Honey decided to marry.
Essay Topic 1
Write about the past life of Martha and George. Do you believe that they actually have one, or that any part of their stories is true. Write a paragraph about three specific stories told by George and Martha, dissecting what you know to be false and why:
Part 1) The boy that killed his parents
Part 2) George and Martha's boxing match
Part 3) Martha's "fiddling" of their son
Essay Topic 2
Nick and Honey are, in many ways, representations of George and Martha at a younger age. They are more hopeful and idealistic about the future. Write an essay about this topic:
Part 1) Nick and George discuss, at length, the possibility of Nick taking over the university. How does the cocky optimism of Nick represent the same ambitions that George had at his age?
Part 2) How does Honey's desire for a child and her history with conception mirror that of Martha?
Part 3) Which relationship do you believe knows more about each other?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about George's unpublished book. How has George taken a real event from his life, fictionalized it, and then recreated it in has life as a separate event? What does this say about him as a character?
This section contains 1,909 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)