|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is not among the "damnedest" drinks that Geroge says Martha used to prefer?
2. What new nickname does Martha give George in the second half of Act 1?
3. What does Martha do with chromosomes, according to George?
4. About what metaphorical trap does George warn Nick?
5. What comes out of the toy shotgun that George fires?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the admonishments that George gives Martha in this section?
2. Describe Honey as she enters the scene.
3. Describe Martha's monologue concerning her one true love.
4. Describe Martha's first marriage.
5. What is the room's reaction to George's claims that Nick plans to alter the world's chromosomes?
6. Describe the movie that Martha references at the beginning of the play.
7. What do George and Martha do with their tears?
8. Describe the moment at the faculty party that Martha describes and how it affected her.
9. Why does George not dance?
10. What is the last game and how does George prepare for it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of violence in the play, both physical and verbal. Which is more effective in the narrative? Use specific examples from the play to defend your position.
Essay Topic 2
Repetition of phrases is a central component of Albee's writing. Write an essay about the purpose of this repetition. Defend your position with paragraphs about the following repeated phrases:
Part 1) Snap
Part 2)Truth and Illusion
Part 3) She's slim-hipped
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Nick's character arc. How does he change from the beginning of the play to the end? What has he learned about himself, his career, and his marriage, and what has he lost?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)