|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Against which innovation does George speak out vehemently?
2. How does George refer to Martha's new outfit?
3. How old does George tell Nick Martha is?
4. Where does George tell Nick and Honey to put their coats?
5. Which of the following is not a degree that George lists for himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to George's school friend who killed his mother?
2. Describe Martha's first marriage.
3. What are some of the admonishments that George gives Martha in this section?
4. Describe George's reaction to Martha's seduction of Nick.
5. How does the relationship between George and Martha seem different when he returns home?
6. About what part of George's picking flowers do he and Martha disagree?
7. What is Martha's plan for the rest of the night, and why aren't she and George going to bed?
8. What is George's explanation of the abstract painting in his house?
9. Why does George not dance?
10. Describe Nick.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear of reality is a major theme in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. Write an essay on this topic and how it affects the action:
Part 1) George frequently tells and retells the story of a boy who accidentally kills his parents and suffers a descent into insanity. In what ways is this based in reality and in what ways is it fictional?
Part 2) Martha creates a detailed and poetic life for her "son." What purpose does this serve for her?
Part 3) How does the final moment of the the play signify a terror at having to face the real world?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Nick's character arc. How does he change from the beginning of the play to the end? What has he learned about himself, his career, and his marriage, and what has he lost?
Essay Topic 3
The past is an ambiguous thing in Albee's play. It is never entirely concrete and often changes depending on the speaker. Write a paragraph about each of the following stories told by a character about the past. How does the story change with each telling? Is the story true in any way?
Part 1) The story of Nick and Honey's courtship
Part 2) The story of George's tragic schoolfriend
Part 3) The story of George and Martha's son's childhood
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)