|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which mythical creature does George compare Martha to as he discusses his son with Nick?
2. What saying does Honey drink by?
3. Which studio does Martha say made the film she is referencing?
4. Which of these is not a French insult that George and Martha hurl at each other?
5. According to George at the end of Act 1, what is Martha at heart?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George do at the end of Martha's boxing story?
2. How did Honey's family come to be so wealthy?
3. Why does George not dance?
4. What do George and Martha do with their tears?
5. Describe George's "party games" bit.
6. How does Nick change over the course of the play?
7. Describe Nick.
8. What is Martha's relationship with her father?
9. What causes Honey to throw up at the end of this scene?
10. How does George try to cheer Martha up at the end of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Three times in the play, Honey is reduced to tears or gets sick. Write a paragraph about each of these breakdowns - one in each act - and how, together, they signify the yielding of social grace and denial to the reality of a desperate, helpless life.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the decision by Edward Albee to name his leads characters, George and Martha, after the first president and his wife. Citing examples from the text, defend your thesis statement.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about George and Martha's fictitious son, detailing how you believe they have used him as a weapon. Frame your essay by discussing three specific stories about him from the text. Be sure to mention who told the story, and whether the other contradicted it.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)