|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Against which innovation does George speak out vehemently?
2. How does George silence Martha as she talks about his failure to take over the department?
3. With what does George say he is preoccupied?
4. Which of the following is not a term that George uses to describe his son?
5. What state of being does Martha accuse George of having?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nick.
2. Describe George's reaction to Martha's seduction of Nick.
3. How does George respond when Nick says "up yours" to him?
4. How did Honey's family come to be so wealthy?
5. How does George describe Martha's father?
6. What causes Honey to throw up at the end of this scene?
7. What are some of the admonishments that George gives Martha in this section?
8. What is Martha's reaction to Get the Guests?
9. How does Nick change over the course of the play?
10. Describe George and Martha's bit involving a kiss.
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Nick's character arc. How does he change from the beginning of the play to the end? What has he learned about himself, his career, and his marriage, and what has he lost?
Essay Topic 2
In Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? playful objects became emotional weapons. Write an essay about how each of the following items generally associated with play and kindness become hurtful:
Part 1) The toy gun
Part 2) The record player
Part 3) The flowers
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to write an essay:
1.) How is the university system portrayed in the play? Is it portrayed as high-minded in any way? What kind of skills are required to be successful in the university? Use George and Nick's conversations as corroboration.
2.) Discuss the role of professor's lives in the larger setting of the play. In what ways ere they integral to both the political and social landscape of the college. How do Honey and Martha represent two important functions of university wives?
3.) Compare and contract Nick and George's attitudes toward the university. What will Nick do for advancement that George will not?
This section contains 1,985 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)