|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does George give for not kissing Martha?
2. What does Martha do with chromosomes, according to George?
3. What was George's relationship to the President of the university when Martha married him?
4. How old is Nick?
5. How does Nick mispronounce the word "gaggle?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does George set Martha up for embarrassment as he opens the door?
2. Describe the state Honey is in during this scene.
3. How does George explain his son's habit of throwing up?
4. Describe George and Martha's bit involving a kiss.
5. Describe Nick.
6. Describe Honey as she enters the scene.
7. What is the story that Martha tells about boxing?
8. What is George's argument regarding human chromosomes and biologists?
9. Describe George's "party games" bit.
10. What does George do at the end of Martha's boxing story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the three games that the are played over the course of the play. Who drives the game, and what is its objective:
Part 1) Humiliate the Host
Part 2) Get the Guests
Part 3) Bringing Up Baby
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Nick's character arc. How does he change from the beginning of the play to the end? What has he learned about himself, his career, and his marriage, and what has he lost?
Essay Topic 3
Repetition of phrases is a central component of Albee's writing. Write an essay about the purpose of this repetition. Defend your position with paragraphs about the following repeated phrases:
Part 1) Snap
Part 2)Truth and Illusion
Part 3) She's slim-hipped
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)