Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is not among the "damnedest" drinks that Geroge says Martha used to prefer?
2. How many of Nick's father-in-law's churches burned down?
3. What attribute of Nick and Honey's does George comment on as they ring the doorbell?
4. What attribute makes Martha's stepmother like a witch?
5. Which two descriptors does Martha confuse in comparing biology and math?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the progress of Martha's drinking habits, according to George.
2. What does George do at the end of Martha's boxing story?
3. What is Martha's reaction to Get the Guests?
4. What is the room's reaction to George's claims that Nick plans to alter the world's chromosomes?
5. How does George describe Martha's father?
6. Describe Honey.
7. In what ways do George and Martha disagree about the particulars of their son?
8. Where does the title of the play come from?
9. Describe the chaos that occurs at the end of Act 1.
10. Describe the movie that Martha references at the beginning of the play.
Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf is a play about rapidly shifting alliances. Compare and contrast the last scene of Act 2 - where Nick and Martha team up against George - and the middle of Act 3 - where George and Martha bombard Nick. What has changed between these two scenes and what is each of the three characters trying to accomplish at each point in time?
Choose one of the following to write an essay:
1) Discuss the motif of neglectful, imperfect and absent parents in the play. How do you think the reemergence of this in characters' lives impacts the the action.
2) Discuss the idea of children as healing, and the desperation for love among the characters born from this idea. Use Honey and Martha's characters as subjects for this essay.
Repetition of phrases is a central component of Albee's writing. Write an essay about the purpose of this repetition. Defend your position with paragraphs about the following repeated phrases:
Part 1) Snap
Part 2)Truth and Illusion
Part 3) She's slim-hipped
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)