|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new nickname does Martha give George in the second half of Act 1?
2. How many of Nick's father-in-law's churches burned down?
3. Against which innovation does George speak out vehemently?
4. What attribute makes Martha's stepmother like a witch?
5. Which two cultures does George cite as models for responsible drinking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the chaos that occurs at the end of Act 1.
2. Why does George not dance?
3. About what part of George's picking flowers do he and Martha disagree?
4. Where does the title of the play come from?
5. What is Martha's relationship with her father?
6. What confession does Honey make?
7. How does George set Martha up for embarrassment as he opens the door?
8. How did Honey's family come to be so wealthy?
9. Describe Honey.
10. What is George's explanation of the abstract painting in his house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to write an essay:
1.) To what extent are Nick and Honey surrogates for the audience? What can characters who are not acclimated to the setting of the play have in common with the viewer and what can they do that the viewer cannot? Cite examples from the text to justify your thesis.
2.) How did George and Martha come to the point at which they are when the play begins? Begin with a description of their living arrangement, and use individual events in their marriage as a frame for the essay.
3.) How do we grow to understand George and Martha as sympathetic characters by the end of the play when almost all they say is a lie? Write an essay in the defense of unreliable protagonists, citing specifics from the text as evidence.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the decision by Edward Albee to name his leads characters, George and Martha, after the first president and his wife. Citing examples from the text, defend your thesis statement.
Essay Topic 3
Several of the characters have nervous habits: Martha chews ice, Honey peels labels, etc. Write an essay on the significance of these nervous tick to the action of the play. What do they say about the character and about the themes of the work?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)