|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does George give for not kissing Martha?
2. What body part does Martha say Nick's wife lacks?
3. With what does George say he is preoccupied?
4. What does Nick say is not his idea of a good time?
5. On what day of the week does the play take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George do at the end of Martha's boxing story?
2. How does the relationship between George and Martha seem different when he returns home?
3. Why does George kill their son?
4. How does George describe Martha's father?
5. How does Honey make reference to her hysterical pregnancy when she returns after being sick?
6. About what part of George's picking flowers do he and Martha disagree?
7. Describe George.
8. How does George set Martha up for embarrassment as he opens the door?
9. Where does the title of the play come from?
10. What do Nick and Honey learn about George and Martha's son in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about George and Martha's fictitious son, detailing how you believe they have used him as a weapon. Frame your essay by discussing three specific stories about him from the text. Be sure to mention who told the story, and whether the other contradicted it.
Essay Topic 2
In Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? playful objects became emotional weapons. Write an essay about how each of the following items generally associated with play and kindness become hurtful:
Part 1) The toy gun
Part 2) The record player
Part 3) The flowers
Essay Topic 3
Nick and Honey are, in many ways, representations of George and Martha at a younger age. They are more hopeful and idealistic about the future. Write an essay about this topic:
Part 1) Nick and George discuss, at length, the possibility of Nick taking over the university. How does the cocky optimism of Nick represent the same ambitions that George had at his age?
Part 2) How does Honey's desire for a child and her history with conception mirror that of Martha?
Part 3) Which relationship do you believe knows more about each other?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)