Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is not among the "damnedest" drinks that Geroge says Martha used to prefer?
2. How many of Nick's father-in-law's churches burned down?
3. What attribute of Nick and Honey's does George comment on as they ring the doorbell?
4. What attribute makes Martha's stepmother like a witch?
5. Which two descriptors does Martha confuse in comparing biology and math?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the progress of Martha's drinking habits, according to George.
2. What does George do at the end of Martha's boxing story?
3. What is Martha's reaction to Get the Guests?
4. What is the room's reaction to George's claims that Nick plans to alter the world's chromosomes?
5. How does George describe Martha's father?
6. Describe Honey.
7. In what ways do George and Martha disagree about the particulars of their son?
8. Where does the title of the play come from?
9. Describe the chaos that occurs at the end of Act 1.
10. Describe the movie that Martha references at the beginning of the play.
Essay Topic 1
Repetition of phrases is a central component of Albee's writing. Write an essay about the purpose of this repetition. Defend your position with paragraphs about the following repeated phrases:
Part 1) Snap
Part 2)Truth and Illusion
Part 3) She's slim-hipped
Essay Topic 2
The past is an ambiguous thing in Albee's play. It is never entirely concrete and often changes depending on the speaker. Write a paragraph about each of the following stories told by a character about the past. How does the story change with each telling? Is the story true in any way?
Part 1) The story of Nick and Honey's courtship
Part 2) The story of George's tragic schoolfriend
Part 3) The story of George and Martha's son's childhood
Essay Topic 3
Write about the past life of Martha and George. Do you believe that they actually have one, or that any part of their stories is true. Write a paragraph about three specific stories told by George and Martha, dissecting what you know to be false and why:
Part 1) The boy that killed his parents
Part 2) George and Martha's boxing match
Part 3) Martha's "fiddling" of their son
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)