Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is not among the "damnedest" drinks that Geroge says Martha used to prefer?
2. How many of Nick's father-in-law's churches burned down?
3. What attribute of Nick and Honey's does George comment on as they ring the doorbell?
4. What attribute makes Martha's stepmother like a witch?
5. Which two descriptors does Martha confuse in comparing biology and math?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the progress of Martha's drinking habits, according to George.
2. What does George do at the end of Martha's boxing story?
3. What is Martha's reaction to Get the Guests?
4. What is the room's reaction to George's claims that Nick plans to alter the world's chromosomes?
5. How does George describe Martha's father?
6. Describe Honey.
7. In what ways do George and Martha disagree about the particulars of their son?
8. Where does the title of the play come from?
9. Describe the chaos that occurs at the end of Act 1.
10. Describe the movie that Martha references at the beginning of the play.
The past is an ambiguous thing in Albee's play. It is never entirely concrete and often changes depending on the speaker. Write a paragraph about each of the following stories told by a character about the past. How does the story change with each telling? Is the story true in any way?
Part 1) The story of Nick and Honey's courtship
Part 2) The story of George's tragic schoolfriend
Part 3) The story of George and Martha's son's childhood
Choose one of the following to write an essay:
1) Discuss the motif of neglectful, imperfect and absent parents in the play. How do you think the reemergence of this in characters' lives impacts the the action.
2) Discuss the idea of children as healing, and the desperation for love among the characters born from this idea. Use Honey and Martha's characters as subjects for this essay.
In Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? playful objects became emotional weapons. Write an essay about how each of the following items generally associated with play and kindness become hurtful:
Part 1) The toy gun
Part 2) The record player
Part 3) The flowers
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)