|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nick mispronounce the word "gaggle?"
2. How do the ages of George and Martha compare?
3. How old will George and Martha's son be tomorrow?
4. Who answers the door when Nick and Honey arrive?
5. How old does George tell Nick Martha is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does George kill their son?
2. What is George's reasoning that his son hates Martha?
3. Compare George and Martha's attitudes to her father and its effect on George's career?
4. How does George try to cheer Martha up at the end of the play?
5. What is the last game and how does George prepare for it?
6. Describe Martha when she returns to the main room and how the guests react.
7. Describe George's reaction to Martha's seduction of Nick.
8. How does Honey make reference to her hysterical pregnancy when she returns after being sick?
9. Describe Martha's first marriage.
10. Describe the state Honey is in during this scene.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of violence in the play, both physical and verbal. Which is more effective in the narrative? Use specific examples from the play to defend your position.
Essay Topic 2
Fear of reality is a major theme in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. Write an essay on this topic and how it affects the action:
Part 1) George frequently tells and retells the story of a boy who accidentally kills his parents and suffers a descent into insanity. In what ways is this based in reality and in what ways is it fictional?
Part 2) Martha creates a detailed and poetic life for her "son." What purpose does this serve for her?
Part 3) How does the final moment of the the play signify a terror at having to face the real world?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about George and Martha's fictitious son, detailing how you believe they have used him as a weapon. Frame your essay by discussing three specific stories about him from the text. Be sure to mention who told the story, and whether the other contradicted it.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)