|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what literary heroine does Martha compare herself near the end of Act 1?
2. How does George refer to Martha's new outfit?
3. Which two characters sing "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" at the end of the first act?
4. What part of her father's anatomy does George call Martha?
5. How does George refer to his arguments with Martha while alone with Nick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the title of the play come from?
2. Describe Honey.
3. Describe George and Martha's bit involving a kiss.
4. In what ways do George and Martha disagree about the particulars of their son?
5. How does Martha describe Nick and Honey?
6. What is the topic of the book that Martha's father would not let George publish?
7. What is the last game and how does George prepare for it?
8. What is Martha's plan for the rest of the night, and why aren't she and George going to bed?
9. Describe Martha's emotional confession.
10. How does Martha convince George to leave her and Nick alone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the three games that the are played over the course of the play. Who drives the game, and what is its objective:
Part 1) Humiliate the Host
Part 2) Get the Guests
Part 3) Bringing Up Baby
Essay Topic 2
Three times in the play, Honey is reduced to tears or gets sick. Write a paragraph about each of these breakdowns - one in each act - and how, together, they signify the yielding of social grace and denial to the reality of a desperate, helpless life.
Essay Topic 3
In Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? playful objects became emotional weapons. Write an essay about how each of the following items generally associated with play and kindness become hurtful:
Part 1) The toy gun
Part 2) The record player
Part 3) The flowers
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)