|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many drinks does Martha finish in this section?
2. How does Nick mispronounce the word "gaggle?"
3. What saying does Honey drink by?
4. To what type of animal does George compare Martha's father?
5. What term does George use to describe the faculty parties they have to attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nick realize about George and Martha's son?
2. Describe Martha's monologue concerning her one true love.
3. What is the topic of the book that Martha's father would not let George publish?
4. How does George respond when Nick says "up yours" to him?
5. Describe how Nick and Honey decided to marry.
6. What is the last game and how does George prepare for it?
7. What is Martha's relationship with her father?
8. What is George's explanation of the abstract painting in his house?
9. Describe George and Martha's bit involving a kiss.
10. Describe Martha's first marriage.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear of reality is a major theme in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. Write an essay on this topic and how it affects the action:
Part 1) George frequently tells and retells the story of a boy who accidentally kills his parents and suffers a descent into insanity. In what ways is this based in reality and in what ways is it fictional?
Part 2) Martha creates a detailed and poetic life for her "son." What purpose does this serve for her?
Part 3) How does the final moment of the the play signify a terror at having to face the real world?
Essay Topic 2
The past is an ambiguous thing in Albee's play. It is never entirely concrete and often changes depending on the speaker. Write a paragraph about each of the following stories told by a character about the past. How does the story change with each telling? Is the story true in any way?
Part 1) The story of Nick and Honey's courtship
Part 2) The story of George's tragic schoolfriend
Part 3) The story of George and Martha's son's childhood
Essay Topic 3
Repetition of phrases is a central component of Albee's writing. Write an essay about the purpose of this repetition. Defend your position with paragraphs about the following repeated phrases:
Part 1) Snap
Part 2)Truth and Illusion
Part 3) She's slim-hipped
This section contains 1,985 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)