|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to George at the end of Act 1, what is Martha at heart?
(a) A Floozy
(b) A Man
(c) A Romantic
(d) A Libertine
2. Which two descriptors does Martha confuse in comparing biology and math?
(a) Abstract and Abstruse
(b) Concrete and Contrite
(c) Fallacious and Felonious
(d) Convex and Concave
3. What is the faculty sport, according to George?
(a) Follow the Chair
(b) Snipe and Sorry
(c) Musical Beds
(d) Publish or Die
4. Which of the following is not a drunken act that George warns Martha against?
(a) Passing out
(b) Driving off
(c) Throwing up
(d) Taking off her clothes
5. How does George refer to the bathroom?
(a) The WC
(b) The powder room
(c) The other room
(d) The euphemism
Short Answer Questions
1. What new nickname does Martha give George in the second half of Act 1?
2. About what time of the day does the play begin?
3. Which actress starred in the film that Martha is trying to think of?
4. What does Honey say Martha is doing upstairs?
5. What was George's relationship to the President of the university when Martha married him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the cloistered world that George and Martha have created at the beginning of the play.
2. What is Martha's relationship with her father?
3. What is Martha's response to Nick's offer to protect her?
4. What is Martha's reaction to Get the Guests?
5. What is George's reasoning that his son hates Martha?
6. Describe Martha's monologue concerning her one true love.
7. What are some of the admonishments that George gives Martha in this section?
8. What is the story that Martha tells about boxing?
9. Describe the progress of Martha's drinking habits, according to George.
10. What does George do at the end of Martha's boxing story?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)