|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tarwater sees Bishop in the water fountain, what does Bishop's face remind him of?
2. How do Tarwater's eyes look when he hitches a ride?
3. Who says, "You can't be born again"?
4. Why does Rayber know that Tarwater will always return to him?
5. What does Rayber say always "irks" him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the religious imagery in this novel. What are the images, what do they symbolize and how do they relate to the characters and plot?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the motif of death in "The Violent Bear It Away". What does each death represent and reflect? How are characters described through death? How does death drive this novel?
Essay Topic 3
What in "The Violent Bear It Away" suggests that prophets are real? According to the novel what evidence is there that Mason was or was not a prophet? What evidence is there that Tarwater is or is not a prophet?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)