|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tarwater describe Rayber's hearing aid?
2. What does the driver of the car offer Tarwater?
3. What does the stranger's voice tell Tarwater to wait for?
4. Who says, "It takes all kinds of women"?
5. What does Tarwater do with the dirt off of Mason's grave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Violent Bear It Away" is considered to be written in the Southern Gothic tradition which includes a setting in the south and the supernatural, among other elements. Find a definition of Southern Gothic tradition and reflect on how this novel fits or does not fit the definition.
Essay Topic 2
Bishop has a mostly silent role. Consider how he impacts the plot, character development, and themes of this novel even though he has no dialogue.
Essay Topic 3
Both fire and water purify in "The Violent Bear It Away". Explain how each element represents purity in the novel and which characters seek purity or have it thrust on them.
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)