|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tarwater's long face remind Rayber of?
2. Why does Rayber think a fishing trip is a good idea?
3. When does Tarwater believe he can walk to Powderhead by?
4. Who speaks to Tarwater when he looks at the burned cabin?
5. Why does Rayber offer Tarwater his glass of water at the hotel restaurant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the motif of death in "The Violent Bear It Away". What does each death represent and reflect? How are characters described through death? How does death drive this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout this novel the devil often speaks to Tarwater. Describe these encounters and the effect they have on Tarwater. How does evil battle with good and in this novel which side do you feel "won" and why?
Essay Topic 3
The three sections of "The Violent Bear It Away" feature Tarwater in three different settings and under the "care" of different family members, including himself. Compare and contrast the ways that each section helps develop Tarwater and reflects Tarwater as a character.
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)