|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tarwater believe happened to Mason's "fancies" and "madness"?
2. What happens when Tarwater tries to eat while walking?
3. What does Tarwater keep telling himself while walking?
4. Who thinks to himself, "I must have infinite patience"?
5. Why does Rayber think a fishing trip is a good idea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Mason and Tarwater. Consider Mason's influence on Tarwater, Tarwater's acceptance/resistance toward Mason, and how this relationship drives Tarwater's actions/the plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Tarwater's rejection or acceptance of his role as a prophet is central to "The Violent Bear It Away". How are prophets described and defined in the text and how does this influence Tarwater? Also, consider what prophesying requires according to the novel and how that impacts the other characters.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Rayber and Tarwater in terms of their religious beliefs, feelings and histories.
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)