Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bishop sit on the stairs in front of Tarwater?
2. What does Tarwater say is "better than the Bread of Life"?
3. What name does Tarwater scratch off of the card Rayber fills out at the hotel?
4. When Tarwater gets dressed in the woods, what happens?
5. Why does Rayber let Tarwater take Bishop out on the boat?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Rayber and Tarwater in terms of their religious beliefs, feelings and histories.
Essay Topic 2
Rayber gives Tarwater several items in "The Violent Bear It Away". Tarwater responds indifferently or even angrily to most of the items and he really only uses the corkscrew/bottle opener. Analyze the symbolism of the items and Tarwater's responses to them. Look at how the items are treated and used and what this means to the development of Tarwater, Rayber, and the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Tarwater's rejection or acceptance of his role as a prophet is central to "The Violent Bear It Away". How are prophets described and defined in the text and how does this influence Tarwater? Also, consider what prophesying requires according to the novel and how that impacts the other characters.
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)