|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bishop sit on the stairs in front of Tarwater?
2. What does Tarwater eat for lunch before fishing?
3. How do Tarwater's eyes look when he hitches a ride?
4. What two feelings does Rayber have for Tarwater as they go on their fishing trip?
5. Who says they are "going on about (their) bidnis"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Tarwater's life with Mason to his life with Rayber. Consider the values, actions, locations and emotions involved. Also analyze the impact on Tarwater.
Essay Topic 2
Tarwater embarks on a spiritual journey in this novel. Analyze the use of symbolism, roads and cars for example, in the construction of his journey. How does his journey end and what does this mean to mankind?
Essay Topic 3
Tarwater's rejection or acceptance of his role as a prophet is central to "The Violent Bear It Away". How are prophets described and defined in the text and how does this influence Tarwater? Also, consider what prophesying requires according to the novel and how that impacts the other characters.
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)