|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tarwater eat for lunch before fishing?
2. Why does Bishop sit on the stairs in front of Tarwater?
3. What does Rayber realize about Tarwater as he looks into the pool of water?
4. Why does Rayber say they can no longer go to the museum?
5. How do Tarwater's eyes look when he hitches a ride?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The three sections of "The Violent Bear It Away" feature Tarwater in three different settings and under the "care" of different family members, including himself. Compare and contrast the ways that each section helps develop Tarwater and reflects Tarwater as a character.
Essay Topic 2
Violence and religion converge at many points during this novel. Describe three such times and what is symbolic about the event, how it impacts the characters involved and shapes the rest of the novel. Take time to consider why violence and religion often meet.
Essay Topic 3
Tarwater embarks on a spiritual journey in this novel. Analyze the use of symbolism, roads and cars for example, in the construction of his journey. How does his journey end and what does this mean to mankind?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)