|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stranger's voice tell Tarwater to wait for?
2. How does Tarwater describe Bishop's drowning?
3. What does the voice say Tarwater's sign is?
4. Who tries to say, "I have more than one problem"?
5. What trip does Rayber have planned next for Tarwater?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The adults in this book, Mason and Rayber, try to save the children, Tarwater and Bishop. Compare what saving means to the adults, how they try to save and what ultimately happens. What does all of this reveal about Rayber and Mason?
Essay Topic 2
Both fire and water purify in "The Violent Bear It Away". Explain how each element represents purity in the novel and which characters seek purity or have it thrust on them.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Mason and Tarwater. Consider Mason's influence on Tarwater, Tarwater's acceptance/resistance toward Mason, and how this relationship drives Tarwater's actions/the plot of the novel.
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)