|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tarwater describe Rayber's hearing aid?
2. What does Tarwater realize he is holding during his ride to Powderhead?
3. Where does Bishop run to when he jumps out of the car in Powderhead?
4. What does the car look like that stops for Tarwater?
5. Who speaks to Tarwater when he looks at the burned cabin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Violent Bear It Away" is considered to be written in the Southern Gothic tradition which includes a setting in the south and the supernatural, among other elements. Find a definition of Southern Gothic tradition and reflect on how this novel fits or does not fit the definition.
Essay Topic 2
Violence and religion converge at many points during this novel. Describe three such times and what is symbolic about the event, how it impacts the characters involved and shapes the rest of the novel. Take time to consider why violence and religion often meet.
Essay Topic 3
The three sections of "The Violent Bear It Away" feature Tarwater in three different settings and under the "care" of different family members, including himself. Compare and contrast the ways that each section helps develop Tarwater and reflects Tarwater as a character.
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)