|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bishop sit on the stairs in front of Tarwater?
2. What does Tarwater decide to do with the bottle opener from Rayber?
3. Who says they won't see a sane person until they get to Detroit?
4. When does Tarwater believe he can walk to Powderhead by?
5. What does Tarwater say the only reason for him to leave Powderhead is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The adults in this book, Mason and Rayber, try to save the children, Tarwater and Bishop. Compare what saving means to the adults, how they try to save and what ultimately happens. What does all of this reveal about Rayber and Mason?
Essay Topic 2
Tarwater embarks on a spiritual journey in this novel. Analyze the use of symbolism, roads and cars for example, in the construction of his journey. How does his journey end and what does this mean to mankind?
Essay Topic 3
Violence and religion converge at many points during this novel. Describe three such times and what is symbolic about the event, how it impacts the characters involved and shapes the rest of the novel. Take time to consider why violence and religion often meet.
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)