|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rayber buy for Tarwater at the gas station?
2. What does Tarwater do to the forked tree by the burned cabin?
3. Where does Rayber decide to take Tarwater and Bishop the night after Tarwater left the house?
4. After leaving the gas station, what does Tarwater hunger for in addition to food and drink?
5. When Rayber realizes he owns Mason's land, what does he think?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in "The Violent Bear It Away" were often called different names. Rayber was also "the schoolteacher", and Mason was often called "the old man", for examples. Analyze what the different names imply and which characters used varying names to refer to other characters. Were there power struggles evident, or judgments passed? What is the importance of a name?
Essay Topic 2
Violence and religion converge at many points during this novel. Describe three such times and what is symbolic about the event, how it impacts the characters involved and shapes the rest of the novel. Take time to consider why violence and religion often meet.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Rayber and Tarwater in terms of their religious beliefs, feelings and histories.
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)