Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bishop sit on the stairs in front of Tarwater?
2. What does Tarwater say is "better than the Bread of Life"?
3. What name does Tarwater scratch off of the card Rayber fills out at the hotel?
4. When Tarwater gets dressed in the woods, what happens?
5. Why does Rayber let Tarwater take Bishop out on the boat?
Essay Topic 1
Tarwater's internal conflict is centered on baptizing/not baptizing Bishop. Follow this conflict from the beginning of the novel to the end. How do other people affect Tarwater's conflict? How does Tarwater argue for and against baptizing Bishop? Discuss and analyze the resolution.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout this novel the devil often speaks to Tarwater. Describe these encounters and the effect they have on Tarwater. How does evil battle with good and in this novel which side do you feel "won" and why?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in "The Violent Bear It Away" were often called different names. Rayber was also "the schoolteacher", and Mason was often called "the old man", for examples. Analyze what the different names imply and which characters used varying names to refer to other characters. Were there power struggles evident, or judgments passed? What is the importance of a name?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)