|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose presence does Tarwater feel at the park when Bishop jumps in the fountain?
2. What does Tarwater decide to do with the bottle opener from Rayber?
3. What did Bishop do with his hat when he was on the boat with Tarwater?
4. What does Rayber buy for Tarwater at the gas station?
5. Who says, "You can't be born again"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both fire and water purify in "The Violent Bear It Away". Explain how each element represents purity in the novel and which characters seek purity or have it thrust on them.
Essay Topic 2
Tarwater's internal conflict is centered on baptizing/not baptizing Bishop. Follow this conflict from the beginning of the novel to the end. How do other people affect Tarwater's conflict? How does Tarwater argue for and against baptizing Bishop? Discuss and analyze the resolution.
Essay Topic 3
Tarwater embarks on a spiritual journey in this novel. Analyze the use of symbolism, roads and cars for example, in the construction of his journey. How does his journey end and what does this mean to mankind?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)