|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the "enormous" Rayber saved Bishop from?
2. When Tarwater and Bishop are gone, what does Rayber realize about his relationship with Tarwater?
3. What does Tarwater say the only reason for him to leave Powderhead is?
4. What does the water fountain look like at the park?
5. What does Rayber define as the great dignity of man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tarwater's rejection or acceptance of his role as a prophet is central to "The Violent Bear It Away". How are prophets described and defined in the text and how does this influence Tarwater? Also, consider what prophesying requires according to the novel and how that impacts the other characters.
Essay Topic 2
Tarwater's internal conflict is centered on baptizing/not baptizing Bishop. Follow this conflict from the beginning of the novel to the end. How do other people affect Tarwater's conflict? How does Tarwater argue for and against baptizing Bishop? Discuss and analyze the resolution.
Essay Topic 3
This novel is set in the American South. Describe the setting, culture, and ways of the American South and how it impacted the novel and characters.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)