|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bishop sit on the stairs in front of Tarwater?
2. What does Tarwater say is "better than the Bread of Life"?
3. What name does Tarwater scratch off of the card Rayber fills out at the hotel?
4. When Tarwater gets dressed in the woods, what happens?
5. Why does Rayber let Tarwater take Bishop out on the boat?
Essay Topic 1
Violence and religion converge at many points during this novel. Describe three such times and what is symbolic about the event, how it impacts the characters involved and shapes the rest of the novel. Take time to consider why violence and religion often meet.
Essay Topic 2
Tarwater's internal conflict is centered on baptizing/not baptizing Bishop. Follow this conflict from the beginning of the novel to the end. How do other people affect Tarwater's conflict? How does Tarwater argue for and against baptizing Bishop? Discuss and analyze the resolution.
Essay Topic 3
Tarwater's rejection or acceptance of his role as a prophet is central to "The Violent Bear It Away". How are prophets described and defined in the text and how does this influence Tarwater? Also, consider what prophesying requires according to the novel and how that impacts the other characters.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)