|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bernice want to happen to Bishop?
2. How does Bishop look when they check into the hotel?
3. What does Tarwater request from the child standing in front of the Negro's shack?
4. Who says they are "going on about (their) bidnis"?
5. When Tarwater gets dressed in the woods, what happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Tarwater's life with Mason to his life with Rayber. Consider the values, actions, locations and emotions involved. Also analyze the impact on Tarwater.
Essay Topic 2
The characters in "The Violent Bear It Away" were often called different names. Rayber was also "the schoolteacher", and Mason was often called "the old man", for examples. Analyze what the different names imply and which characters used varying names to refer to other characters. Were there power struggles evident, or judgments passed? What is the importance of a name?
Essay Topic 3
The three sections of "The Violent Bear It Away" feature Tarwater in three different settings and under the "care" of different family members, including himself. Compare and contrast the ways that each section helps develop Tarwater and reflects Tarwater as a character.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)