|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rayber see where Mason's cabin used to be?
2. Who says, "You can't be born again"?
3. When Tarwater gets dressed in the woods, what happens?
4. What does the stranger's voice tell Tarwater to wait for?
5. What does Tarwater believe happened to Mason's "fancies" and "madness"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tarwater's internal conflict is centered on baptizing/not baptizing Bishop. Follow this conflict from the beginning of the novel to the end. How do other people affect Tarwater's conflict? How does Tarwater argue for and against baptizing Bishop? Discuss and analyze the resolution.
Essay Topic 2
"The Violent Bear It Away" is considered to be written in the Southern Gothic tradition which includes a setting in the south and the supernatural, among other elements. Find a definition of Southern Gothic tradition and reflect on how this novel fits or does not fit the definition.
Essay Topic 3
What in "The Violent Bear It Away" suggests that prophets are real? According to the novel what evidence is there that Mason was or was not a prophet? What evidence is there that Tarwater is or is not a prophet?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)