|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rayber offer Tarwater his glass of water at the hotel restaurant?
2. Why does Rayber think a fishing trip is a good idea?
3. What did Bernice want to happen to Bishop?
4. What does Tarwater ask to buy at the gas station?
5. What does Tarwater say when Rayber asks, "You'll look after him?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the religious imagery in this novel. What are the images, what do they symbolize and how do they relate to the characters and plot?
Essay Topic 2
The three sections of "The Violent Bear It Away" feature Tarwater in three different settings and under the "care" of different family members, including himself. Compare and contrast the ways that each section helps develop Tarwater and reflects Tarwater as a character.
Essay Topic 3
"The Violent Bear It Away" is considered to be written in the Southern Gothic tradition which includes a setting in the south and the supernatural, among other elements. Find a definition of Southern Gothic tradition and reflect on how this novel fits or does not fit the definition.
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)