|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the voice say Tarwater's sign is?
2. How does Tarwater describe Bishop's drowning?
3. Why does Rayber say they can no longer go to the museum?
4. What does Tarwater say the only reason for him to leave Powderhead is?
5. What does the water fountain look like at the park?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both fire and water purify in "The Violent Bear It Away". Explain how each element represents purity in the novel and which characters seek purity or have it thrust on them.
Essay Topic 2
This novel is set in the American South. Describe the setting, culture, and ways of the American South and how it impacted the novel and characters.
Essay Topic 3
"The Violent Bear It Away" is considered to be written in the Southern Gothic tradition which includes a setting in the south and the supernatural, among other elements. Find a definition of Southern Gothic tradition and reflect on how this novel fits or does not fit the definition.
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)