|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tarwater see at the gas station?
2. What does Tarwater's long face remind Rayber of?
3. What did Bernice want to happen to Bishop?
4. When Tarwater and Bishop are gone, what does Rayber realize about his relationship with Tarwater?
5. What does Tarwater request from the child standing in front of the Negro's shack?
Essay Topic 1
Tarwater's rejection or acceptance of his role as a prophet is central to "The Violent Bear It Away". How are prophets described and defined in the text and how does this influence Tarwater? Also, consider what prophesying requires according to the novel and how that impacts the other characters.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the religious imagery in this novel. What are the images, what do they symbolize and how do they relate to the characters and plot?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Rayber and Tarwater in terms of their religious beliefs, feelings and histories.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)