|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bishop do with his hat when he was on the boat with Tarwater?
2. Where did Rayber's wife, Bernice, go when she left him?
3. What does Tarwater say is "better than the Bread of Life"?
4. What does Tarwater request from the child standing in front of the Negro's shack?
5. Who says, "You can't be born again"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tarwater's internal conflict is centered on baptizing/not baptizing Bishop. Follow this conflict from the beginning of the novel to the end. How do other people affect Tarwater's conflict? How does Tarwater argue for and against baptizing Bishop? Discuss and analyze the resolution.
Essay Topic 2
This novel is set in the American South. Describe the setting, culture, and ways of the American South and how it impacted the novel and characters.
Essay Topic 3
Both fire and water purify in "The Violent Bear It Away". Explain how each element represents purity in the novel and which characters seek purity or have it thrust on them.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)