|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rayber say about Bishop during the fishing trip?
2. What does Tarwater do to the forked tree by the burned cabin?
3. Where do Rayber, Bishop and Tarwater stay during their fishing trip?
4. What does the water fountain look like at the park?
5. What does Tarwater realize he is holding during his ride to Powderhead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tarwater's rejection or acceptance of his role as a prophet is central to "The Violent Bear It Away". How are prophets described and defined in the text and how does this influence Tarwater? Also, consider what prophesying requires according to the novel and how that impacts the other characters.
Essay Topic 2
Rayber gives Tarwater several items in "The Violent Bear It Away". Tarwater responds indifferently or even angrily to most of the items and he really only uses the corkscrew/bottle opener. Analyze the symbolism of the items and Tarwater's responses to them. Look at how the items are treated and used and what this means to the development of Tarwater, Rayber, and the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Tarwater's internal conflict is centered on baptizing/not baptizing Bishop. Follow this conflict from the beginning of the novel to the end. How do other people affect Tarwater's conflict? How does Tarwater argue for and against baptizing Bishop? Discuss and analyze the resolution.
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)