|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rayber realizes he owns Mason's land, what does he think?
2. Who does Rayber say is "basically very bright"?
3. When Tarwater gets dressed in the woods, what happens?
4. What does the driver of the car offer Tarwater?
5. Where does Bishop run to when he jumps out of the car in Powderhead?
Essay Topic 1
Both fire and water purify in "The Violent Bear It Away". Explain how each element represents purity in the novel and which characters seek purity or have it thrust on them.
Essay Topic 2
Tarwater's rejection or acceptance of his role as a prophet is central to "The Violent Bear It Away". How are prophets described and defined in the text and how does this influence Tarwater? Also, consider what prophesying requires according to the novel and how that impacts the other characters.
Essay Topic 3
Violence and religion converge at many points during this novel. Describe three such times and what is symbolic about the event, how it impacts the characters involved and shapes the rest of the novel. Take time to consider why violence and religion often meet.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)