|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rayber think a fishing trip is a good idea?
2. What does Tarwater do with the hand Bishop tried to touch in the hotel lobby?
3. What does Rayber define as the great dignity of man?
4. Why does Bishop sit on the stairs in front of Tarwater?
5. Who says, "You can't be born again"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The adults in this book, Mason and Rayber, try to save the children, Tarwater and Bishop. Compare what saving means to the adults, how they try to save and what ultimately happens. What does all of this reveal about Rayber and Mason?
Essay Topic 2
Tarwater's rejection or acceptance of his role as a prophet is central to "The Violent Bear It Away". How are prophets described and defined in the text and how does this influence Tarwater? Also, consider what prophesying requires according to the novel and how that impacts the other characters.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout this novel the devil often speaks to Tarwater. Describe these encounters and the effect they have on Tarwater. How does evil battle with good and in this novel which side do you feel "won" and why?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)