|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tarwater gets dressed in the woods, what happens?
2. Who said, "You don't even know what makes you do the things you do"?
3. How does Tarwater describe Rayber's hearing aid?
4. What premonition does Rayber have when he fills out the card at the hotel?
5. What name does Tarwater scratch off of the card Rayber fills out at the hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Rayber and Tarwater in terms of their religious beliefs, feelings and histories.
Essay Topic 2
The characters in "The Violent Bear It Away" were often called different names. Rayber was also "the schoolteacher", and Mason was often called "the old man", for examples. Analyze what the different names imply and which characters used varying names to refer to other characters. Were there power struggles evident, or judgments passed? What is the importance of a name?
Essay Topic 3
Tarwater's rejection or acceptance of his role as a prophet is central to "The Violent Bear It Away". How are prophets described and defined in the text and how does this influence Tarwater? Also, consider what prophesying requires according to the novel and how that impacts the other characters.
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)