|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tarwater say the only reason for him to leave Powderhead is?
2. What name does Tarwater scratch off of the card Rayber fills out at the hotel?
3. What does the car look like that stops for Tarwater?
4. Why does Rayber think a fishing trip is a good idea?
5. What does Tarwater realize he is holding during his ride to Powderhead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel is set in the American South. Describe the setting, culture, and ways of the American South and how it impacted the novel and characters.
Essay Topic 2
"The Violent Bear It Away" is considered to be written in the Southern Gothic tradition which includes a setting in the south and the supernatural, among other elements. Find a definition of Southern Gothic tradition and reflect on how this novel fits or does not fit the definition.
Essay Topic 3
The three sections of "The Violent Bear It Away" feature Tarwater in three different settings and under the "care" of different family members, including himself. Compare and contrast the ways that each section helps develop Tarwater and reflects Tarwater as a character.
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)