|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the voice say Tarwater's sign is?
2. How does Bishop look when they check into the hotel?
3. What does the stranger's voice tell Tarwater to wait for?
4. Why does Rayber offer Tarwater his glass of water at the hotel restaurant?
5. Why does Bishop jump off of Tarwater's bed at the end of chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Tarwater embarks on a spiritual journey in this novel. Analyze the use of symbolism, roads and cars for example, in the construction of his journey. How does his journey end and what does this mean to mankind?
Essay Topic 2The three sections of "The Violent Bear It Away" feature Tarwater in three different settings and under the "care" of different family members, including himself. Compare and contrast the ways that each section helps develop Tarwater and reflects Tarwater as a character.
Essay Topic 3Analyze the motif of death in "The Violent Bear It Away". What does each death represent and reflect? How are characters described through death? How does death drive this novel?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)