|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the car look like that stops for Tarwater?
2. Who tries to say, "I have more than one problem"?
3. What does Rayber say always "irks" him?
4. What does Rayber check in Tarwater's overalls?
5. What does Tarwater think his destiny is forcing him on to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The three sections of "The Violent Bear It Away" feature Tarwater in three different settings and under the "care" of different family members, including himself. Compare and contrast the ways that each section helps develop Tarwater and reflects Tarwater as a character.
Essay Topic 2
This novel is set in the American South. Describe the setting, culture, and ways of the American South and how it impacted the novel and characters.
Essay Topic 3
Tarwater embarks on a spiritual journey in this novel. Analyze the use of symbolism, roads and cars for example, in the construction of his journey. How does his journey end and what does this mean to mankind?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)