|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Rayber's wife, Bernice, go when she left him?
2. Who picks Tarwater up at the side of the road?
3. What does Tarwater do with the hand Bishop tried to touch in the hotel lobby?
4. What does Rayber buy for Tarwater at the gas station?
5. What does Rayber think Tarwater is going to do to Bishop as they leave the restaurant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel is set in the American South. Describe the setting, culture, and ways of the American South and how it impacted the novel and characters.
Essay Topic 2
The characters in "The Violent Bear It Away" were often called different names. Rayber was also "the schoolteacher", and Mason was often called "the old man", for examples. Analyze what the different names imply and which characters used varying names to refer to other characters. Were there power struggles evident, or judgments passed? What is the importance of a name?
Essay Topic 3
Tarwater receives rides from three strangers in this novel: Meeks, the truck driver, and the man in the lavender car. Describe each trip in terms of influence on Tarwater, symbolism, reflection of religion, and impact on the rest of the novel.
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)