|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says they are free?
2. What does the banner say on the building Rayber thinks Tarwater went into late at night?
3. What feature was Tarwater unable to recall about the schoolteacher's face?
4. What does Tarwater say about the teachings of Mason?
5. Who has a gash in their ear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the stranger's voice taunt Tarwater about Mason's profession?
2. What does Bishop look like the first time Tarwater sees him?
3. What does the driver of the car do when he realizes Tarwater is passed out?
4. How is it obvious that Tarwater is unfamiliar with telephones?
5. Why does the schoolteacher leave his hearing aid on at night?
6. What does the stranger's voice tell Tarwater about burying Mason?
7. Why does Rayber decide to go to Powderhead with Bishop?
8. Why does Tarwater drink the moonshine he was getting for Buford?
9. How does Mason feel Rayber insulted him?
10. What is Rayber's plan for Tarwater on the fishing trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What in "The Violent Bear It Away" suggests that prophets are real? According to the novel what evidence is there that Mason was or was not a prophet? What evidence is there that Tarwater is or is not a prophet?
Essay Topic 2
This novel is set in the American South. Describe the setting, culture, and ways of the American South and how it impacted the novel and characters.
Essay Topic 3
Rayber gives Tarwater several items in "The Violent Bear It Away". Tarwater responds indifferently or even angrily to most of the items and he really only uses the corkscrew/bottle opener. Analyze the symbolism of the items and Tarwater's responses to them. Look at how the items are treated and used and what this means to the development of Tarwater, Rayber, and the plot.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)