|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says they are free?
2. What does Rayber call the aptitude test?
3. Why does Tarwater drop the knocker at the schoolteacher's house?
4. What happened after Rayber was shot by Mason?
5. What does Meeks do every time Tarwater mentions Mason?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mason tells Tarwater about his kidnapping, what does he say about the schoolteacher?
2. Why does Tarwater drink the moonshine he was getting for Buford?
3. Why does the stranger's voice taunt Tarwater about Mason's profession?
4. When Tarwater is looking over Bishop in the fountain, what does he think?
5. What happens when Tarwater drinks water from the pump near the Negro shack?
6. When Tarwater looks at the burned remains of the cabin, what does he think?
7. What does Rayber say Mason did to Tarwater?
8. Why does Rayber see himself fleeing with Lucette?
9. How does Tarwater respond when the truck driver says he better not be sick?
10. What does Tarwater do when Bishop sits on the stairs in front of him at the hotel?
Essay Topic 1
This novel is set in the American South. Describe the setting, culture, and ways of the American South and how it impacted the novel and characters.
Essay Topic 2
What in "The Violent Bear It Away" suggests that prophets are real? According to the novel what evidence is there that Mason was or was not a prophet? What evidence is there that Tarwater is or is not a prophet?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout this novel the devil often speaks to Tarwater. Describe these encounters and the effect they have on Tarwater. How does evil battle with good and in this novel which side do you feel "won" and why?
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)