|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tarwater want to make clear to Rayber, the "schoolteacher", the morning he goes to his house?
2. Who thought that everything was a "false alarm"?
3. Who does Tarwater hitch a ride into town with?
4. What does Tarwater do when Mason dies?
5. What does Rayber forget to put on the night he follows Tarwater?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tarwater drink the moonshine he was getting for Buford?
2. Why does the stranger's voice tell Tarwater that hunger does not count as a sign?
3. Why does Rayber see himself fleeing with Lucette?
4. What does the driver of the car do when he realizes Tarwater is passed out?
5. Why is Tarwater concerned for his own soul while burying Mason?
6. What makes Bishop cry when he is dining at the hotel with Tarwater and Rayber?
7. How does Meeks say man can get ahead?
8. When Tarwater is looking over Bishop in the fountain, what does he think?
9. Why does Tarwater move toward Bishop when he jumps in the water fountain at the park?
10. What does Tarwater do when Bishop sits on the stairs in front of him at the hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What in "The Violent Bear It Away" suggests that prophets are real? According to the novel what evidence is there that Mason was or was not a prophet? What evidence is there that Tarwater is or is not a prophet?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the religious imagery in this novel. What are the images, what do they symbolize and how do they relate to the characters and plot?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in "The Violent Bear It Away" were often called different names. Rayber was also "the schoolteacher", and Mason was often called "the old man", for examples. Analyze what the different names imply and which characters used varying names to refer to other characters. Were there power struggles evident, or judgments passed? What is the importance of a name?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)