|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tarwater say about burying Mason?
2. Why does Tarwater drop the knocker at the schoolteacher's house?
3. What is the first thing Tarwater says to the schoolteacher?
4. What does Mason Tarwater do for a living?
5. What does the banner say on the building Rayber thinks Tarwater went into late at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Tarwater is digging the grave for Mason, what does he think of Rayber?
2. What does Rayber say Mason did to Tarwater?
3. Why does Buford come to Mason's shack in the beginning of chapter 1?
4. Why does Rayber say Tarwater can not eat?
5. How does Rayber define "another child exploited"?
6. Why does Rayber suddenly duck his head and hide when he is watching Lucette?
7. What happens when Tarwater drinks water from the pump near the Negro shack?
8. Why does Tarwater start walking toward Powderhead?
9. What is Rayber reminded of when he holds Bishop to tie his shoe?
10. What does Tarwater do when he has a hard time thinking of what to say to the woman at the gas station?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout this novel the devil often speaks to Tarwater. Describe these encounters and the effect they have on Tarwater. How does evil battle with good and in this novel which side do you feel "won" and why?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Tarwater's life with Mason to his life with Rayber. Consider the values, actions, locations and emotions involved. Also analyze the impact on Tarwater.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the motif of death in "The Violent Bear It Away". What does each death represent and reflect? How are characters described through death? How does death drive this novel?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)