|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feature was Tarwater unable to recall about the schoolteacher's face?
2. What does Meeks think of Tarwater after driving for only a short while?
3. What does Tarwater do when Bishop tries to touch him?
4. Who shoots the schoolteacher?
5. When Rayber is watching Lucette's parents, who does he keep envisioning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rayber follow Tarwater quietly when he leaves the house?
2. Why does Buford come to Mason's shack in the beginning of chapter 1?
3. When Tarwater is digging the grave for Mason, what does he think of Rayber?
4. Why does Tarwater keep taking out a scrap piece of paper and pencil at the Italian restaurant?
5. Why does Tarwater turn down Meeks' offer to drop him off at Rayber's?
6. Why is Tarwater concerned for his own soul while burying Mason?
7. Why does Tarwater eat so much at lunch before fishing?
8. What does the driver of the car do when he realizes Tarwater is passed out?
9. How does Tarwater walk as he walks to the museum with Rayber and Bishop?
10. Why does the stranger's voice taunt Tarwater about Mason's profession?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the religious imagery in this novel. What are the images, what do they symbolize and how do they relate to the characters and plot?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the motif of death in "The Violent Bear It Away". What does each death represent and reflect? How are characters described through death? How does death drive this novel?
Essay Topic 3
What in "The Violent Bear It Away" suggests that prophets are real? According to the novel what evidence is there that Mason was or was not a prophet? What evidence is there that Tarwater is or is not a prophet?
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)