|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rayber think Tarwater is headed into town the night he leaves the house?
2. What part of Tarwater does Rayber see first in the beginning of chapter 5?
3. Who does Tarwater hitch a ride into town with?
4. What does Tarwater say about the teachings of Mason?
5. Who says they are "just now waking up"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tarwater drink the moonshine he was getting for Buford?
2. What does the stranger's voice tell Tarwater about burying Mason?
3. How does Rayber define "another child exploited"?
4. Why does Mason try to kidnap Bishop?
5. What does Meeks say about the law of work and the law of love?
6. How does Tarwater respond when the woman at the hotel tells him to not do the devil's work at the hotel?
7. Why does Rayber feel he can read Tarwater like a book?
8. Why does Tarwater start walking toward Powderhead?
9. How does Rayber describe the windows of the building Lucette preaches in?
10. What happens when Tarwater drinks water from the pump near the Negro shack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel is set in the American South. Describe the setting, culture, and ways of the American South and how it impacted the novel and characters.
Essay Topic 2
Tarwater's internal conflict is centered on baptizing/not baptizing Bishop. Follow this conflict from the beginning of the novel to the end. How do other people affect Tarwater's conflict? How does Tarwater argue for and against baptizing Bishop? Discuss and analyze the resolution.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the religious imagery in this novel. What are the images, what do they symbolize and how do they relate to the characters and plot?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)