|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tarwater do to the shack the night Mason dies?
2. Who thought that everything was a "false alarm"?
3. How old was Lucette when she began preaching?
4. What window does Tarwater stop in front of to look in?
5. What does Tarwater do when he and Rayber return home from the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Tarwater drinks water from the pump near the Negro shack?
2. Why does Tarwater keep taking out a scrap piece of paper and pencil at the Italian restaurant?
3. Why does Rayber follow Tarwater quietly when he leaves the house?
4. Why does Rayber suddenly duck his head and hide when he is watching Lucette?
5. At the end of the novel, what does Tarwater discover about Mason's body?
6. When Tarwater is digging the grave for Mason, what does he think of Rayber?
7. What does Tarwater tell the truck driver who asks him why his pants are wet?
8. How does Rayber describe the windows of the building Lucette preaches in?
9. Why does Rayber bring Tarwater breakfast in bed?
10. What does the schoolteacher do when he first hears that Mason is dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Rayber and Tarwater in terms of their religious beliefs, feelings and histories.
Essay Topic 2
Tarwater receives rides from three strangers in this novel: Meeks, the truck driver, and the man in the lavender car. Describe each trip in terms of influence on Tarwater, symbolism, reflection of religion, and impact on the rest of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
This novel is set in the American South. Describe the setting, culture, and ways of the American South and how it impacted the novel and characters.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)