|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rayber leave his house at the end of chapter 4?
2. What does Meeks say he graduated with?
3. Whose voice is the stranger's?
4. What does Lucette say is coming?
5. Who does the schoolteacher marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rayber bring Tarwater breakfast in bed?
2. What condition is Tarwater in when he wakes up in the woods?
3. What does the driver of the car do when he realizes Tarwater is passed out?
4. What does the schoolteacher do when he first hears that Mason is dead?
5. Why does Rayber suddenly duck his head and hide when he is watching Lucette?
6. At the end of the novel, what does Tarwater discover about Mason's body?
7. How is it obvious that Tarwater is unfamiliar with telephones?
8. Why does Rayber see himself fleeing with Lucette?
9. What does Tarwater tell the truck driver who asks him why his pants are wet?
10. What memory of Powderhead makes Rayber's heart expand unbelievably?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Rayber and Tarwater in terms of their religious beliefs, feelings and histories.
Essay Topic 2
The characters in "The Violent Bear It Away" were often called different names. Rayber was also "the schoolteacher", and Mason was often called "the old man", for examples. Analyze what the different names imply and which characters used varying names to refer to other characters. Were there power struggles evident, or judgments passed? What is the importance of a name?
Essay Topic 3
Tarwater's rejection or acceptance of his role as a prophet is central to "The Violent Bear It Away". How are prophets described and defined in the text and how does this influence Tarwater? Also, consider what prophesying requires according to the novel and how that impacts the other characters.
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)