|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucette wear?
2. What feature was Tarwater unable to recall about the schoolteacher's face?
3. Who says they are "just now waking up"?
4. Where does Bishop go to school?
5. What does Tarwater do with Mason's coffin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the sign of returning health that Rayber wants to see in Tarwater?
2. Why does Rayber follow Tarwater quietly when he leaves the house?
3. How does Tarwater respond when the woman at the hotel tells him to not do the devil's work at the hotel?
4. What is Rayber's plan for Tarwater on the fishing trip?
5. What does the schoolteacher do when he first hears that Mason is dead?
6. How does Tarwater walk as he walks to the museum with Rayber and Bishop?
7. Why does the schoolteacher leave his hearing aid on at night?
8. Why is Tarwater concerned for his own soul while burying Mason?
9. What is Rayber reminded of when he holds Bishop to tie his shoe?
10. How does Tarwater respond when he runs into Rayber after leaving the church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The three sections of "The Violent Bear It Away" feature Tarwater in three different settings and under the "care" of different family members, including himself. Compare and contrast the ways that each section helps develop Tarwater and reflects Tarwater as a character.
Essay Topic 2
Tarwater receives rides from three strangers in this novel: Meeks, the truck driver, and the man in the lavender car. Describe each trip in terms of influence on Tarwater, symbolism, reflection of religion, and impact on the rest of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Bishop has a mostly silent role. Consider how he impacts the plot, character development, and themes of this novel even though he has no dialogue.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)