|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says they are "just now waking up"?
2. What does Lucette wear?
3. What does Tarwater do to the shack the night Mason dies?
4. Why did Lucette's mother travel to China and Africa?
5. What reason does Mason give for his finding a lover for Tarwater's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it obvious that Tarwater is unfamiliar with telephones?
2. What does Meeks say about the law of work and the law of love?
3. What is the sign of returning health that Rayber wants to see in Tarwater?
4. What two histories does Tarwater say he knows "completely"?
5. Why does the schoolteacher leave his hearing aid on at night?
6. When Meeks asks what line of work Tarwater will get into, what does he say?
7. What does Rayber say Mason did to Tarwater?
8. How does Mason feel Rayber insulted him?
9. Why does Tarwater keep taking out a scrap piece of paper and pencil at the Italian restaurant?
10. Why does Buford come to Mason's shack in the beginning of chapter 1?
Essay Topic 1
Tarwater's internal conflict is centered on baptizing/not baptizing Bishop. Follow this conflict from the beginning of the novel to the end. How do other people affect Tarwater's conflict? How does Tarwater argue for and against baptizing Bishop? Discuss and analyze the resolution.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the religious imagery in this novel. What are the images, what do they symbolize and how do they relate to the characters and plot?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Tarwater's life with Mason to his life with Rayber. Consider the values, actions, locations and emotions involved. Also analyze the impact on Tarwater.
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)