|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bishop go to school?
2. Why does the schoolteacher use the help of a welfare office worker?
3. Who takes the form of the devil in chapter 2?
4. Whose voice is the stranger's?
5. Who is Tarwater's uncle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Bishop cry when he is dining at the hotel with Tarwater and Rayber?
2. What is the sign of returning health that Rayber wants to see in Tarwater?
3. Why does Rayber advise Tarwater to avoid extremes?
4. How does Rayber define "another child exploited"?
5. What is Rayber's plan for Tarwater on the fishing trip?
6. How does Mason feel Rayber insulted him?
7. What condition is Tarwater in when he wakes up in the woods?
8. What is Rayber reminded of when he holds Bishop to tie his shoe?
9. What becomes apparent to Tarwater after the death of Mason?
10. What two histories does Tarwater say he knows "completely"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Tarwater's life with Mason to his life with Rayber. Consider the values, actions, locations and emotions involved. Also analyze the impact on Tarwater.
Essay Topic 2
The characters in "The Violent Bear It Away" were often called different names. Rayber was also "the schoolteacher", and Mason was often called "the old man", for examples. Analyze what the different names imply and which characters used varying names to refer to other characters. Were there power struggles evident, or judgments passed? What is the importance of a name?
Essay Topic 3
This novel is set in the American South. Describe the setting, culture, and ways of the American South and how it impacted the novel and characters.
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)