|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened after Rayber was shot by Mason?
2. What does Tarwater do when he and Rayber return home from the church?
3. Who does Tarwater smile like?
4. What does Tarwater compare Mason's dead eyes to?
5. Who has a gash in their ear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tarwater move toward Bishop when he jumps in the water fountain at the park?
2. In the beginning of chapter 3, why does Tarwater not look at the sky?
3. What is the sign of returning health that Rayber wants to see in Tarwater?
4. Why does Tarwater eat so much at lunch before fishing?
5. What does Tarwater do when Bishop sits on the stairs in front of him at the hotel?
6. Why does Rayber feel he can read Tarwater like a book?
7. In chapter 9 when Rayber watches Tarwater interact with Bishop in the bedroom why does Rayber admit to being jealous?
8. Why does Tarwater turn down Meeks' offer to drop him off at Rayber's?
9. What does Tarwater tell the truck driver who asks him why his pants are wet?
10. Why does the stranger's voice taunt Tarwater about Mason's profession?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rayber gives Tarwater several items in "The Violent Bear It Away". Tarwater responds indifferently or even angrily to most of the items and he really only uses the corkscrew/bottle opener. Analyze the symbolism of the items and Tarwater's responses to them. Look at how the items are treated and used and what this means to the development of Tarwater, Rayber, and the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Tarwater receives rides from three strangers in this novel: Meeks, the truck driver, and the man in the lavender car. Describe each trip in terms of influence on Tarwater, symbolism, reflection of religion, and impact on the rest of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Rayber and Tarwater in terms of their religious beliefs, feelings and histories.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)