|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tarwater prove to Meeks that the schoolteacher lives in town?
2. Who will inherit Mason's land?
3. Where was Mason kept for four years?
4. What does Rayber call the aptitude test?
5. Who does Tarwater smile like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tarwater concerned for his own soul while burying Mason?
2. How does Rayber describe the windows of the building Lucette preaches in?
3. What does Meeks say about the law of work and the law of love?
4. Why does Rayber see himself fleeing with Lucette?
5. What is the sign of returning health that Rayber wants to see in Tarwater?
6. Why does the stranger's voice tell Tarwater that hunger does not count as a sign?
7. What does Bishop look like the first time Tarwater sees him?
8. When Mason tells Tarwater about his kidnapping, what does he say about the schoolteacher?
9. When Tarwater is digging the grave for Mason, what does he think of Rayber?
10. Why does Tarwater balk at Mason's directions for burying him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout this novel the devil often speaks to Tarwater. Describe these encounters and the effect they have on Tarwater. How does evil battle with good and in this novel which side do you feel "won" and why?
Essay Topic 2
What in "The Violent Bear It Away" suggests that prophets are real? According to the novel what evidence is there that Mason was or was not a prophet? What evidence is there that Tarwater is or is not a prophet?
Essay Topic 3
Tarwater's internal conflict is centered on baptizing/not baptizing Bishop. Follow this conflict from the beginning of the novel to the end. How do other people affect Tarwater's conflict? How does Tarwater argue for and against baptizing Bishop? Discuss and analyze the resolution.
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)