|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will inherit Mason's land?
2. What does Mason say will burn a prophet?
3. Whose voice is the stranger's?
4. Who does Tarwater smile like?
5. What does Tarwater do to the shack the night Mason dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mason tells Tarwater about his kidnapping, what does he say about the schoolteacher?
2. How does Meeks say man can get ahead?
3. What memory of Powderhead makes Rayber's heart expand unbelievably?
4. What things does Mason teach Tarwater?
5. Why does the stranger's voice tell Tarwater that hunger does not count as a sign?
6. When Tarwater is digging the grave for Mason, what does he think of Rayber?
7. Why does Tarwater turn down Meeks' offer to drop him off at Rayber's?
8. When Tarwater looks at the burned remains of the cabin, what does he think?
9. Why does Tarwater balk at Mason's directions for burying him?
10. How does Tarwater respond when he runs into Rayber after leaving the church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout this novel the devil often speaks to Tarwater. Describe these encounters and the effect they have on Tarwater. How does evil battle with good and in this novel which side do you feel "won" and why?
Essay Topic 2
The adults in this book, Mason and Rayber, try to save the children, Tarwater and Bishop. Compare what saving means to the adults, how they try to save and what ultimately happens. What does all of this reveal about Rayber and Mason?
Essay Topic 3
Rayber gives Tarwater several items in "The Violent Bear It Away". Tarwater responds indifferently or even angrily to most of the items and he really only uses the corkscrew/bottle opener. Analyze the symbolism of the items and Tarwater's responses to them. Look at how the items are treated and used and what this means to the development of Tarwater, Rayber, and the plot.
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)