|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucette say is coming?
2. What does Tarwater know as soon as he sees Bishop?
3. Who thought that everything was a "false alarm"?
4. What does the schoolteacher describe as "coming out of darkness into light"?
5. What does Tarwater do with Mason's coffin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tarwater do when he has a hard time thinking of what to say to the woman at the gas station?
2. Why does Rayber see himself fleeing with Lucette?
3. Why does Tarwater turn down Meeks' offer to drop him off at Rayber's?
4. Why does Rayber say that Tarwater is his son also when they check in to the hotel?
5. When Mason tells Tarwater about his kidnapping, what does he say about the schoolteacher?
6. What is Rayber reminded of when he holds Bishop to tie his shoe?
7. How does Rayber describe the windows of the building Lucette preaches in?
8. When Tarwater looks at the burned remains of the cabin, what does he think?
9. Why does Tarwater eat so much at lunch before fishing?
10. How does Tarwater respond when the woman at the hotel tells him to not do the devil's work at the hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the religious imagery in this novel. What are the images, what do they symbolize and how do they relate to the characters and plot?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Tarwater's life with Mason to his life with Rayber. Consider the values, actions, locations and emotions involved. Also analyze the impact on Tarwater.
Essay Topic 3
Violence and religion converge at many points during this novel. Describe three such times and what is symbolic about the event, how it impacts the characters involved and shapes the rest of the novel. Take time to consider why violence and religion often meet.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)