Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says they are "just now waking up"?
2. What does Lucette wear?
3. What does Tarwater do to the shack the night Mason dies?
4. Why did Lucette's mother travel to China and Africa?
5. What reason does Mason give for his finding a lover for Tarwater's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it obvious that Tarwater is unfamiliar with telephones?
2. What does Meeks say about the law of work and the law of love?
3. What is the sign of returning health that Rayber wants to see in Tarwater?
4. What two histories does Tarwater say he knows "completely"?
5. Why does the schoolteacher leave his hearing aid on at night?
6. When Meeks asks what line of work Tarwater will get into, what does he say?
7. What does Rayber say Mason did to Tarwater?
8. How does Mason feel Rayber insulted him?
9. Why does Tarwater keep taking out a scrap piece of paper and pencil at the Italian restaurant?
10. Why does Buford come to Mason's shack in the beginning of chapter 1?
Essay Topic 1
Violence and religion converge at many points during this novel. Describe three such times and what is symbolic about the event, how it impacts the characters involved and shapes the rest of the novel. Take time to consider why violence and religion often meet.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Rayber and Tarwater in terms of their religious beliefs, feelings and histories.
Essay Topic 3
"The Violent Bear It Away" is considered to be written in the Southern Gothic tradition which includes a setting in the south and the supernatural, among other elements. Find a definition of Southern Gothic tradition and reflect on how this novel fits or does not fit the definition.
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)