|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of boy does Mason say Tarwater is?
2. What does Tarwater compare Bishop to when they go to the Italian restaurant?
3. What window does Tarwater stop in front of to look in?
4. Who has a gash in their ear?
5. What does Mason say will burn a prophet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tarwater concerned for his own soul while burying Mason?
2. What does the schoolteacher do when he first hears that Mason is dead?
3. Why does Rayber bring Tarwater breakfast in bed?
4. Why does Rayber say that Tarwater is his son also when they check in to the hotel?
5. During the fishing trip what does Rayber say he does and does not have the guts for?
6. At the end of the novel, what does Tarwater discover about Mason's body?
7. What does Tarwater do when Bishop sits on the stairs in front of him at the hotel?
8. Why does Mason try to kidnap Bishop?
9. What is Rayber reminded of when he holds Bishop to tie his shoe?
10. When Mason tells Tarwater about his kidnapping, what does he say about the schoolteacher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Mason and Tarwater. Consider Mason's influence on Tarwater, Tarwater's acceptance/resistance toward Mason, and how this relationship drives Tarwater's actions/the plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout this novel the devil often speaks to Tarwater. Describe these encounters and the effect they have on Tarwater. How does evil battle with good and in this novel which side do you feel "won" and why?
Essay Topic 3
What in "The Violent Bear It Away" suggests that prophets are real? According to the novel what evidence is there that Mason was or was not a prophet? What evidence is there that Tarwater is or is not a prophet?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)