|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mason want at the head of his grave?
(a) An angel.
(b) A cross.
(d) A stone.
2. What does Lucette say is coming?
(a) The end of the world.
(b) My Word.
(c) My Lord.
3. What does Tarwater do when Bishop tries to touch him?
(a) Tarwater reaches out his own hand.
(b) Tarwater takes a step back.
(c) Tarwater smacks Bishops hand.
(d) Tarwater runs away.
4. When does Tarwater hear the stranger's voice?
(a) When he is sitting on the porch.
(b) When he is raking the grass.
(c) When he is burning leaves.
(d) When he is digging a grave.
5. What part of Tarwater does Rayber see first in the beginning of chapter 5?
(a) His shoes.
(b) His chin.
(c) His teeth.
(d) His hat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Mason convince to get a job in his sister's house?
2. According to the schoolteacher, what is the only thing Bishop can do?
3. What does Rayber do as soon as he and Tarwater return home from the church?
4. What small town does this story begin in?
5. Who said, "A dead man is not going to do you any good"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rayber feel he can read Tarwater like a book?
2. Why does Mason try to kidnap Bishop?
3. What does Bishop look like the first time Tarwater sees him?
4. At the end of the novel, what does Tarwater discover about Mason's body?
5. What things does Mason teach Tarwater?
6. When Tarwater is looking over Bishop in the fountain, what does he think?
7. What memory of Powderhead makes Rayber's heart expand unbelievably?
8. What becomes apparent to Tarwater after the death of Mason?
9. Why does Tarwater balk at Mason's directions for burying him?
10. What happens when Tarwater drinks water from the pump near the Negro shack?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)