|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "It takes all kinds of women"?
(b) The boat renter.
(c) The mayor.
(d) The receptionist.
2. Why does Rayber offer Tarwater his glass of water at the hotel restaurant?
(a) Because he is thirsty.
(b) To make peace.
(c) To baptize Bishop with.
(d) To make sure Tarwater didn't try to poison him.
3. When does Tarwater believe he can walk to Powderhead by?
(a) Half an hour.
(c) Two days.
4. What does Tarwater feel when he looks at the man in the car who picked him up?
(a) Overwhelming sadness.
(b) Safety and peace.
(c) A little apprehension.
(d) An unpleasant sensation.
5. What does Tarwater keep telling himself while walking?
(a) That he isn't hungry.
(b) That he is right, everyone else is wrong.
(c) That he will soon be home.
(d) That he will be alone forever.
6. Why does Rayber say they can no longer go to the museum?
(a) Because it is too late.
(b) Because Tarwater left.
(c) Because of the need to change Bishop's shoes.
(d) Because they don't have enough money.
7. What does Tarwater think his destiny is forcing him on to?
(a) A final revelation.
(b) More fires.
(d) A second baptism.
8. What does Tarwater do at the end of the trip out into the lake?
(a) He tries to burn the boat.
(b) He eats a live fish.
(c) He jumps off the boat and swims away.
(d) He catches more fish than Rayber.
9. Rayber says that Bishop did what to his pain?
(a) Started it, limited it, and contained it.
(b) Increased it, magnified it, and hid it.
(c) Started it, ended it, and started it again.
(d) Trapped it, released it, and made it obvious to strangers.
10. What does the water fountain look like at the park?
(a) A lion's head.
(b) An elephant.
(c) A small child.
(d) A group of mice.
11. What does Bishop try to do during the ride to the lake?
(a) Sing the entire time.
(b) Jump out of the car.
(c) Shove Tarwater.
(d) Climb into the front seat.
12. Who does Tarwater see at the gas station?
(a) A woman Mason liked to talk to.
(b) Someone who looks like Rayber.
(c) The devil.
13. What does Tarwater write on the check-in card at the hotel?
(a) Praise the Lord.
(b) Hate the child.
(c) Not his son.
(d) Not having fun.
14. What does Tarwater say the only reason for him to leave Powderhead is?
(a) To visit Rayber.
(b) To free himself from the woods.
(c) To prove he isn't a prophet.
(d) To baptize the people of the city.
15. When Rayber was in the newspaper, what did the caption say?
(a) Overjoyed father sees son revived.
(b) Man loses son at the beach.
(c) Man runs for mayor.
(d) Overjoyed father finds missing son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stranger's voice tell Tarwater will happen if he performs a baptism?
2. Why does Tarwater say he is different than Rayber?
3. Who speaks to Tarwater when he looks at the burned cabin?
4. When Tarwater sees Bishop in the water fountain, what does Bishop's face remind him of?
5. What does the car look like that stops for Tarwater?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)