|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tarwater do at the end of the trip out into the lake?
(a) He catches more fish than Rayber.
(b) He tries to burn the boat.
(c) He eats a live fish.
(d) He jumps off the boat and swims away.
2. What does Rayber buy for Tarwater at the gas station?
(a) Fake teeth.
(b) A bottle opener.
(c) A wood plaque.
(d) A cigarette lighter.
3. What does Rayber hear when he turns on his hearing aid the night Tarwater takes Bishop on the boat?
(a) Bishop's bellow.
(b) Nothing but crickets.
(c) Tarwater's laugh.
(d) Nothing, the hearing aid was broken.
4. What did Bishop do with his hat when he was on the boat with Tarwater?
(a) He kept playing with it.
(b) He pulled it over his head.
(c) He gave it to Tarwater.
(d) He threw it in the lake.
5. When Rayber was in the newspaper, what did the caption say?
(a) Man loses son at the beach.
(b) Overjoyed father finds missing son.
(c) Overjoyed father sees son revived.
(d) Man runs for mayor.
6. What does Rayber see where Mason's cabin used to be?
(a) A pile of bones.
(b) Two chimneys and black rubble.
(c) Nothing but dust.
(d) A door frame and ashes.
7. What does the stranger's voice tell Tarwater to wait for?
(a) A sensation.
(b) A whale to show him what to do.
(c) A real sign.
(d) A rainy day.
8. Who says, "It takes all kinds of women"?
(a) The mayor.
(b) The receptionist.
(d) The boat renter.
9. What does Bishop do when he sees the fountain at the park?
(a) He throws money into it.
(b) He jumps in.
(c) He runs away afraid.
(d) He starts to yell.
10. What does Tarwater do with the hand Bishop tried to touch in the hotel lobby?
(a) Punches the wall with it.
(b) Puts it in his pocket.
(c) Uses it to push Bishop.
(d) Washes it.
11. What does Tarwater decide to do with the bottle opener from Rayber?
(a) Throw it down the hill.
(b) Sell it at the gas station.
(c) Buy a drink and open it.
(d) Give it to the Negro boy.
12. When Tarwater and Bishop are gone, what does Rayber realize about his relationship with Tarwater?
(a) Rayber realizes how to rehabilitate Tarwater.
(b) Rayber realizes he can adopt Tarwater.
(c) Rayber realizes how to make friends with Tarwater.
(d) Rayber realizes he just wants to be rid of Tarwater.
13. Whose presence does Tarwater feel at the park when Bishop jumps in the fountain?
(a) The stranger's.
14. Who says they won't see a sane person until they get to Detroit?
(d) The truck driver.
15. What does the voice say Tarwater's sign is?
(a) A mystery.
(b) The sun on Bishop's head.
(c) Rayber saving him.
(d) The water in the pool.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Tarwater scratch off of the card Rayber fills out at the hotel?
2. Why does Bishop jump off of Tarwater's bed at the end of chapter 8?
3. What does Rayber say his "violent self" makes him see Tarwater as?
4. What does Tarwater request from the child standing in front of the Negro's shack?
5. What does Tarwater do with the dirt off of Mason's grave?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)