|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rayber realize about Tarwater as he looks into the pool of water?
(a) That he cannot understand him.
(b) That he cannot reason with him.
(c) That he cannot keep him in his house.
(d) That he cannot save him.
2. Who does Rayber say is "basically very bright"?
3. After leaving the gas station, what does Tarwater hunger for in addition to food and drink?
4. Who says, "It takes all kinds of women"?
(a) The receptionist.
(b) The mayor.
(d) The boat renter.
5. What does Rayber say always "irks" him?
(a) When Tarwater disobeys.
(b) When people stare at Bishop.
(c) When people assume things.
(d) When people call him "sugerpie".
6. What does the man who picks Tarwater up say he needs in exchange for the ride?
(a) A woman.
(b) Twenty-five dollars.
(c) To be kept awake.
(d) A place to stay in town.
7. What does Tarwater say he would baptize as soon as Bishop?
(a) A stick.
(c) A dog.
(d) A door.
8. Who tries to say, "I have more than one problem"?
9. What was the "enormous" Rayber saved Bishop from?
(a) Being taken away.
(b) Being beat.
(c) Being teased.
(d) Being baptized.
10. What does the voice say Tarwater's sign is?
(a) The water in the pool.
(b) A mystery.
(c) The sun on Bishop's head.
(d) Rayber saving him.
11. What does Bishop try to do during the ride to the lake?
(a) Shove Tarwater.
(b) Jump out of the car.
(c) Sing the entire time.
(d) Climb into the front seat.
12. What happens when Tarwater tries to eat while walking?
(a) He can't eat enough.
(b) He drops the food.
(c) He is robbed.
(d) His stomach rejects it.
13. What does the stranger's voice tell Tarwater to wait for?
(a) A whale to show him what to do.
(b) A real sign.
(c) A rainy day.
(d) A sensation.
14. Why does Rayber let Tarwater take Bishop out on the boat?
(a) He wants Bishop to learn.
(b) He wants Tarwater to fail.
(c) He wants to try reverse psychology.
(d) He wants a half hour alone.
15. What does Rayber think Tarwater is going to do to Bishop as they leave the restaurant?
(a) Rayber thinks Tarwater is trying to control Bishop.
(b) Rayber thinks Tarwater is trying to hurt Bishop.
(c) Rayber thinks Tarwater is trying to kidnap Bishop.
(d) Rayber thinks Tarwater is trying to preach to Bishop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rayber say his "violent self" makes him see Tarwater as?
2. How does Tarwater describe Rayber's hearing aid?
3. Who says they are "going on about (their) bidnis"?
4. Who picks Tarwater up at the side of the road?
5. What does Rayber define as the great dignity of man?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)