|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tarwater look like in the clothes Rayber bought him?
(a) Half the boy he could be.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) Like someone from the city.
(d) Rayber when he was younger.
2. What does Rayber define as the great dignity of man?
(a) Seeing the light.
(b) Being born twice.
(c) Being born once.
(d) Resisting the pressure.
3. Why does Tarwater say he was a fool?
(a) For burning Mason's body.
(b) For baptizing Bishop.
(c) For burning the cabin in Powderhead.
(d) For drowning Bishop.
4. What does Tarwater believe happened to Mason's "fancies" and "madness"?
(a) That it has taken over him.
(b) That it has been burned out of him.
(c) That he will serve it forever.
(d) That it is part of the land.
5. What does Tarwater realize he is holding during his ride to Powderhead?
(a) A stack of money.
(b) Bishop's hat.
(c) The driver's sandwich.
(d) The driver's hand.
6. When Tarwater sees Bishop in the water fountain, what does Bishop's face remind him of?
(a) A mirror.
(b) A fool.
(c) A baby.
(d) A lion.
7. Why does Rayber know that Tarwater will always return to him?
(a) Because they are related.
(b) Because Tarwater has no place to go.
(c) Because of Bishop.
(d) Because Tarwater wants help.
8. What does Tarwater ask to buy at the gas station?
(a) Orange juice.
(c) A purple drink.
9. What does Tarwater keep telling himself while walking?
(a) That he isn't hungry.
(b) That he will soon be home.
(c) That he is right, everyone else is wrong.
(d) That he will be alone forever.
10. Rayber says that Bishop did what to his pain?
(a) Started it, limited it, and contained it.
(b) Started it, ended it, and started it again.
(c) Increased it, magnified it, and hid it.
(d) Trapped it, released it, and made it obvious to strangers.
11. What happens when Tarwater tries to eat while walking?
(a) His stomach rejects it.
(b) He is robbed.
(c) He drops the food.
(d) He can't eat enough.
12. What does the receptionist observe about Rayber?
(a) He has a new haircut.
(b) His pants have holes in them.
(c) He has two different colored socks.
(d) His tie is crooked.
13. What does Rayber say about Bishop during the fishing trip?
(a) "In a hundred years I wouldn't know him."
(b) "That kind of child struggles."
(c) "Nothing ever happens to that kind of child."
(d) "He needs all the help he can get."
14. What does Tarwater say is "better than the Bread of Life"?
15. What does the driver of the car offer Tarwater?
(b) Ten dollars.
(c) A cigarette.
(d) A place to stay.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rayber say always "irks" him?
2. When Tarwater gets dressed in the woods, what happens?
3. Who says they won't see a sane person until they get to Detroit?
4. What does Bishop do when he sees the fountain at the park?
5. Why does Rayber offer Tarwater his glass of water at the hotel restaurant?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)