|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the receptionist observe about Rayber?
(a) His tie is crooked.
(b) He has two different colored socks.
(c) He has a new haircut.
(d) His pants have holes in them.
2. What does Tarwater feel when he looks at the man in the car who picked him up?
(a) Overwhelming sadness.
(b) Safety and peace.
(c) An unpleasant sensation.
(d) A little apprehension.
3. What does Rayber hear when he turns on his hearing aid the night Tarwater takes Bishop on the boat?
(a) Nothing but crickets.
(b) Nothing, the hearing aid was broken.
(c) Bishop's bellow.
(d) Tarwater's laugh.
4. Rayber says that Bishop did what to his pain?
(a) Increased it, magnified it, and hid it.
(b) Trapped it, released it, and made it obvious to strangers.
(c) Started it, ended it, and started it again.
(d) Started it, limited it, and contained it.
5. What does the car look like that stops for Tarwater?
(a) It is shorter than most cars.
(b) It is all black.
(c) It has an extra tire on the back.
(d) It is lavender and cream colored.
6. When Rayber realizes he owns Mason's land, what does he think?
(a) That it could be sold to pay for college.
(b) That he could start a lumber company.
(c) That it could actually belong to Tarwater.
(d) That he could farm it properly.
7. Why does Rayber feel he had ruined his plan in chapter 9?
(a) Because he left Tarwater alone.
(b) Because he let Bishop see the burned cabin.
(c) Because he ended the fishing trip too soon.
(d) Because he went to Powderhead too soon.
8. What does the city park remind Rayber of?
9. Why does Tarwater say he is different than Rayber?
(a) Tarwater says he thinks better.
(b) Tarwater says he is a man.
(c) Tarwater says he loves.
(d) Tarwater says he is able to act.
10. Where does Bishop run to when he jumps out of the car in Powderhead?
(a) The blackberry bushes.
(b) The mule farm.
(c) Mason's cabin.
(d) The lake.
11. What does Bishop do when he sees the fountain at the park?
(a) He jumps in.
(b) He starts to yell.
(c) He runs away afraid.
(d) He throws money into it.
12. What happens when Tarwater tries to eat while walking?
(a) He drops the food.
(b) He can't eat enough.
(c) He is robbed.
(d) His stomach rejects it.
13. What does Tarwater do with the hand Bishop tried to touch in the hotel lobby?
(a) Uses it to push Bishop.
(b) Puts it in his pocket.
(c) Washes it.
(d) Punches the wall with it.
14. When Tarwater gets dressed in the woods, what happens?
(a) He falls over.
(b) Half of his clothes are on backwards.
(c) Someone is watching him.
(d) He passes out again.
15. What does the stranger's voice tell Tarwater will happen if he performs a baptism?
(a) He may do it wrong.
(b) People may treat him like a prophet.
(c) He will see the light.
(d) He will have to keep performing them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the voice say Tarwater's sign is?
2. What did Bernice want to happen to Bishop?
3. Who says, "It takes all kinds of women"?
4. What does Tarwater do at the end of the trip out into the lake?
5. Where do Rayber, Bishop and Tarwater stay during their fishing trip?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)