|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tarwater eat for lunch before fishing?
(a) Hot dogs and whiskey.
(b) Barbeque buns and beer.
(d) Cheese and wine.
2. What two feelings does Rayber have for Tarwater as they go on their fishing trip?
(a) Hatred and fear.
(b) Love and scorn.
(c) Misery and anger.
(d) Compassion and fury.
3. Who picks Tarwater up at the side of the road?
(b) A man in a small car.
(c) A truck driver.
(d) A cab.
4. Who thinks to himself, "I must have infinite patience"?
5. What does Rayber say his "violent self" makes him see Tarwater as?
(a) A fool.
(b) A waste.
(c) An enemy.
(d) A target.
6. After leaving the gas station, what does Tarwater hunger for in addition to food and drink?
7. Where did Rayber's wife, Bernice, go when she left him?
8. What does the receptionist observe about Rayber?
(a) He has a new haircut.
(b) His pants have holes in them.
(c) His tie is crooked.
(d) He has two different colored socks.
9. What does Tarwater decide to do with the bottle opener from Rayber?
(a) Throw it down the hill.
(b) Buy a drink and open it.
(c) Sell it at the gas station.
(d) Give it to the Negro boy.
10. When Tarwater sees Bishop in the water fountain, what does Bishop's face remind him of?
(a) A fool.
(b) A baby.
(c) A lion.
(d) A mirror.
11. Why does Rayber let Tarwater take Bishop out on the boat?
(a) He wants Tarwater to fail.
(b) He wants to try reverse psychology.
(c) He wants a half hour alone.
(d) He wants Bishop to learn.
12. Who says, "You can't be born again"?
(c) The driver.
13. What does Tarwater say when Rayber asks, "You'll look after him?"
(a) "Can't do that."
(c) "I'll tend to him."
(d) "I'll try."
14. What does the voice say Tarwater's sign is?
(a) A mystery.
(b) The water in the pool.
(c) The sun on Bishop's head.
(d) Rayber saving him.
15. What does Bishop do when he sees the fountain at the park?
(a) He jumps in.
(b) He starts to yell.
(c) He throws money into it.
(d) He runs away afraid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said, "You don't even know what makes you do the things you do"?
2. Who says they won't see a sane person until they get to Detroit?
3. What does Tarwater's long face remind Rayber of?
4. Why does Rayber hold Bishop in his lap at the park?
5. What does Tarwater realize he is holding during his ride to Powderhead?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)