|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the stranger's voice tell Tarwater to wait for?
(a) A sensation.
(b) A whale to show him what to do.
(c) A rainy day.
(d) A real sign.
2. What does Rayber realize about Tarwater as he looks into the pool of water?
(a) That he cannot reason with him.
(b) That he cannot save him.
(c) That he cannot understand him.
(d) That he cannot keep him in his house.
3. What does Tarwater do to the forked tree by the burned cabin?
(a) He chops it down.
(b) He burns it.
(c) He climbs it.
(d) He carves his name in it.
4. What does Bishop do when he sees the fountain at the park?
(a) He runs away afraid.
(b) He starts to yell.
(c) He jumps in.
(d) He throws money into it.
5. Why does Rayber think a fishing trip is a good idea?
(a) To ease the tension.
(b) To catch dinner.
(c) To start bonding.
(d) To have some silence.
6. Why does Rayber know that Tarwater will always return to him?
(a) Because Tarwater wants help.
(b) Because of Bishop.
(c) Because they are related.
(d) Because Tarwater has no place to go.
7. What does Tarwater ask to buy at the gas station?
(c) Orange juice.
(d) A purple drink.
8. What two feelings does Rayber have for Tarwater as they go on their fishing trip?
(a) Hatred and fear.
(b) Misery and anger.
(c) Compassion and fury.
(d) Love and scorn.
9. What does Tarwater's long face remind Rayber of?
(a) A foot without a shoe.
(b) A sharpened pencil.
(c) A root pulled from the ground.
(d) A knife blade.
10. Why does Rayber hold Bishop in his lap at the park?
(a) To get a hug.
(b) To tie his shoe.
(c) To keep him quiet.
(d) To wait for Tarwater.
11. What does Tarwater believe happened to Mason's "fancies" and "madness"?
(a) That it has been burned out of him.
(b) That it is part of the land.
(c) That it has taken over him.
(d) That he will serve it forever.
12. What does the driver of the car offer Tarwater?
(b) A cigarette.
(c) A place to stay.
(d) Ten dollars.
13. When Tarwater gets dressed in the woods, what happens?
(a) He falls over.
(b) He passes out again.
(c) Half of his clothes are on backwards.
(d) Someone is watching him.
14. Where did Rayber's wife, Bernice, go when she left him?
15. What does Tarwater do with the dirt off of Mason's grave?
(a) He kicks it.
(b) He throws it.
(c) He stomps it flat.
(d) He smears it on his forehead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tarwater do with the hand Bishop tried to touch in the hotel lobby?
2. What does Rayber say always "irks" him?
3. How does Tarwater describe Bishop's drowning?
4. What does Bishop try to do during the ride to the lake?
5. Rayber says that Bishop did what to his pain?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)