|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tarwater say is "better than the Bread of Life"?
2. What does Rayber check in Tarwater's overalls?
(a) The snaps.
(b) The seams.
(c) The pockets.
(d) The size.
3. What does Tarwater do at the end of the trip out into the lake?
(a) He catches more fish than Rayber.
(b) He eats a live fish.
(c) He tries to burn the boat.
(d) He jumps off the boat and swims away.
4. Who said, "You don't even know what makes you do the things you do"?
(b) The receptionist at the hotel.
(d) The waitress at the hotel.
5. How do Tarwater's eyes look when he hitches a ride?
(b) Wide open.
6. What two feelings does Rayber have for Tarwater as they go on their fishing trip?
(a) Misery and anger.
(b) Compassion and fury.
(c) Love and scorn.
(d) Hatred and fear.
7. Why does Rayber let Tarwater take Bishop out on the boat?
(a) He wants Tarwater to fail.
(b) He wants Bishop to learn.
(c) He wants to try reverse psychology.
(d) He wants a half hour alone.
8. Why does Rayber think a fishing trip is a good idea?
(a) To start bonding.
(b) To ease the tension.
(c) To catch dinner.
(d) To have some silence.
9. What does Tarwater keep telling himself while walking?
(a) That he will soon be home.
(b) That he is right, everyone else is wrong.
(c) That he isn't hungry.
(d) That he will be alone forever.
10. What does Tarwater look like in the clothes Rayber bought him?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) Half the boy he could be.
(c) Like someone from the city.
(d) Rayber when he was younger.
11. How does Tarwater describe Bishop's drowning?
(a) As being less important than the baptism.
(b) As being a mistake.
(c) As being more important than the baptism.
(d) As being his job.
12. When Tarwater and Bishop are gone, what does Rayber realize about his relationship with Tarwater?
(a) Rayber realizes he can adopt Tarwater.
(b) Rayber realizes how to make friends with Tarwater.
(c) Rayber realizes he just wants to be rid of Tarwater.
(d) Rayber realizes how to rehabilitate Tarwater.
13. What does Tarwater eat for lunch before fishing?
(b) Barbeque buns and beer.
(c) Cheese and wine.
(d) Hot dogs and whiskey.
14. Why does Rayber offer Tarwater his glass of water at the hotel restaurant?
(a) Because he is thirsty.
(b) To baptize Bishop with.
(c) To make sure Tarwater didn't try to poison him.
(d) To make peace.
15. What does Rayber buy for Tarwater at the gas station?
(a) A wood plaque.
(b) A cigarette lighter.
(c) A bottle opener.
(d) Fake teeth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rayber say is "basically very bright"?
2. What does the receptionist observe about Rayber?
3. What does Tarwater ask to buy at the gas station?
4. What does Tarwater say the only reason for him to leave Powderhead is?
5. Why does Tarwater say he is different than Rayber?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)