|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bishop sit on the stairs in front of Tarwater?
(a) He wants to be in the way.
(b) He wants to kick Tarwater.
(c) He wants his shoes tied.
(d) He wants attention.
2. What does Tarwater say is "better than the Bread of Life"?
3. What name does Tarwater scratch off of the card Rayber fills out at the hotel?
4. When Tarwater gets dressed in the woods, what happens?
(a) He passes out again.
(b) He falls over.
(c) Half of his clothes are on backwards.
(d) Someone is watching him.
5. Why does Rayber let Tarwater take Bishop out on the boat?
(a) He wants Bishop to learn.
(b) He wants a half hour alone.
(c) He wants to try reverse psychology.
(d) He wants Tarwater to fail.
6. Who says they won't see a sane person until they get to Detroit?
(c) The truck driver.
7. Rayber says that Bishop did what to his pain?
(a) Started it, ended it, and started it again.
(b) Increased it, magnified it, and hid it.
(c) Trapped it, released it, and made it obvious to strangers.
(d) Started it, limited it, and contained it.
8. What does Bishop try to do during the ride to the lake?
(a) Jump out of the car.
(b) Sing the entire time.
(c) Climb into the front seat.
(d) Shove Tarwater.
9. What does Tarwater do at the end of the trip out into the lake?
(a) He tries to burn the boat.
(b) He eats a live fish.
(c) He catches more fish than Rayber.
(d) He jumps off the boat and swims away.
10. What did Bernice want to happen to Bishop?
(a) She wanted Bishop to be put up for adoption.
(b) She wanted to raise Bishop alone.
(c) She wanted Bishop put in an institution.
(d) She wanted Rayber to raise Bishop alone.
11. What does the stranger's voice tell Tarwater to wait for?
(a) A whale to show him what to do.
(b) A rainy day.
(c) A real sign.
(d) A sensation.
12. What does the voice say Tarwater's sign is?
(a) The water in the pool.
(b) A mystery.
(c) The sun on Bishop's head.
(d) Rayber saving him.
13. What two feelings does Rayber have for Tarwater as they go on their fishing trip?
(a) Hatred and fear.
(b) Compassion and fury.
(c) Love and scorn.
(d) Misery and anger.
14. What does Rayber buy for Tarwater at the gas station?
(a) A cigarette lighter.
(b) A bottle opener.
(c) Fake teeth.
(d) A wood plaque.
15. What does Tarwater say he would baptize as soon as Bishop?
(a) A door.
(b) A dog.
(c) A stick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tarwater request from the child standing in front of the Negro's shack?
2. What does Tarwater decide to do with the bottle opener from Rayber?
3. Why does Rayber offer Tarwater his glass of water at the hotel restaurant?
4. Who speaks to Tarwater when he looks at the burned cabin?
5. Who thinks to himself, "I must have infinite patience"?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)