|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tarwater say he was a fool?
(a) For burning the cabin in Powderhead.
(b) For burning Mason's body.
(c) For drowning Bishop.
(d) For baptizing Bishop.
2. What does Tarwater do to the forked tree by the burned cabin?
(a) He chops it down.
(b) He climbs it.
(c) He carves his name in it.
(d) He burns it.
3. What does Tarwater do with the dirt off of Mason's grave?
(a) He throws it.
(b) He stomps it flat.
(c) He kicks it.
(d) He smears it on his forehead.
4. Why does Rayber know that Tarwater will always return to him?
(a) Because Tarwater wants help.
(b) Because of Bishop.
(c) Because they are related.
(d) Because Tarwater has no place to go.
5. Rayber says that Bishop did what to his pain?
(a) Increased it, magnified it, and hid it.
(b) Started it, limited it, and contained it.
(c) Trapped it, released it, and made it obvious to strangers.
(d) Started it, ended it, and started it again.
6. What does Tarwater look like in the clothes Rayber bought him?
(a) Half the boy he could be.
(b) Like someone from the city.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) Rayber when he was younger.
7. Why does Rayber offer Tarwater his glass of water at the hotel restaurant?
(a) To baptize Bishop with.
(b) To make sure Tarwater didn't try to poison him.
(c) Because he is thirsty.
(d) To make peace.
8. What does Tarwater say he would baptize as soon as Bishop?
(a) A dog.
(b) A stick.
(c) A door.
9. What does Rayber say about Bishop during the fishing trip?
(a) "Nothing ever happens to that kind of child."
(b) "That kind of child struggles."
(c) "In a hundred years I wouldn't know him."
(d) "He needs all the help he can get."
10. Who picks Tarwater up at the side of the road?
(b) A man in a small car.
(c) A truck driver.
(d) A cab.
11. What does the water fountain look like at the park?
(a) An elephant.
(b) A lion's head.
(c) A group of mice.
(d) A small child.
12. Who said, "You don't even know what makes you do the things you do"?
(b) The receptionist at the hotel.
(c) The waitress at the hotel.
13. Who speaks to Tarwater when he looks at the burned cabin?
(b) The stranger's voice.
(c) The memory of Mason.
(d) Bishop's ghost.
14. What does Tarwater keep telling himself while walking?
(a) That he isn't hungry.
(b) That he will be alone forever.
(c) That he is right, everyone else is wrong.
(d) That he will soon be home.
15. How does Tarwater describe Bishop's drowning?
(a) As being a mistake.
(b) As being less important than the baptism.
(c) As being more important than the baptism.
(d) As being his job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stranger's voice tell Tarwater to wait for?
2. What does Tarwater say is "better than the Bread of Life"?
3. What happens when Tarwater tries to eat while walking?
4. What does the driver of the car say cures a cough?
5. Where does Bishop run to when he jumps out of the car in Powderhead?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)