|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Rayber realizes he owns Mason's land, what does he think?
(a) That he could start a lumber company.
(b) That it could be sold to pay for college.
(c) That he could farm it properly.
(d) That it could actually belong to Tarwater.
2. Why does Rayber let Tarwater take Bishop out on the boat?
(a) He wants Bishop to learn.
(b) He wants to try reverse psychology.
(c) He wants Tarwater to fail.
(d) He wants a half hour alone.
3. What does Rayber check in Tarwater's overalls?
(a) The seams.
(b) The snaps.
(c) The pockets.
(d) The size.
4. What does Rayber say his "violent self" makes him see Tarwater as?
(a) A waste.
(b) A target.
(c) An enemy.
(d) A fool.
5. What does the driver of the car say cures a cough?
(b) A good night's sleep.
(c) Kissing a woman.
(d) Orange juice.
6. What does Tarwater keep telling himself while walking?
(a) That he isn't hungry.
(b) That he will soon be home.
(c) That he will be alone forever.
(d) That he is right, everyone else is wrong.
7. What does Bishop do when he sees the fountain at the park?
(a) He starts to yell.
(b) He jumps in.
(c) He throws money into it.
(d) He runs away afraid.
8. What does the city park remind Rayber of?
9. What does Tarwater's long face remind Rayber of?
(a) A root pulled from the ground.
(b) A knife blade.
(c) A foot without a shoe.
(d) A sharpened pencil.
10. What does Rayber define as the great dignity of man?
(a) Resisting the pressure.
(b) Being born once.
(c) Seeing the light.
(d) Being born twice.
11. Who thinks to himself, "I must have infinite patience"?
12. What does Tarwater think his destiny is forcing him on to?
(a) A second baptism.
(c) More fires.
(d) A final revelation.
13. Rayber says that Bishop did what to his pain?
(a) Started it, ended it, and started it again.
(b) Started it, limited it, and contained it.
(c) Increased it, magnified it, and hid it.
(d) Trapped it, released it, and made it obvious to strangers.
14. When Tarwater sees Bishop in the water fountain, what does Bishop's face remind him of?
(a) A baby.
(b) A fool.
(c) A lion.
(d) A mirror.
15. What does Bishop try to do during the ride to the lake?
(a) Sing the entire time.
(b) Climb into the front seat.
(c) Jump out of the car.
(d) Shove Tarwater.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Tarwater believe he can walk to Powderhead by?
2. When Tarwater and Bishop are gone, what does Rayber realize about his relationship with Tarwater?
3. Why does Rayber say they can no longer go to the museum?
4. What does Tarwater feel when he looks at the man in the car who picked him up?
5. Who says, "You can't be born again"?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)