|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tarwater look like in the clothes Rayber bought him?
(a) Half the boy he could be.
(b) Like someone from the city.
(c) Rayber when he was younger.
(d) A lawyer.
2. What does the stranger's voice tell Tarwater to wait for?
(a) A rainy day.
(b) A whale to show him what to do.
(c) A sensation.
(d) A real sign.
3. What does Tarwater think his destiny is forcing him on to?
(a) A final revelation.
(b) A second baptism.
(d) More fires.
4. What does the voice say Tarwater's sign is?
(a) Rayber saving him.
(b) A mystery.
(c) The water in the pool.
(d) The sun on Bishop's head.
5. Who speaks to Tarwater when he looks at the burned cabin?
(b) The stranger's voice.
(c) Bishop's ghost.
(d) The memory of Mason.
6. Why does Bishop sit on the stairs in front of Tarwater?
(a) He wants attention.
(b) He wants to be in the way.
(c) He wants to kick Tarwater.
(d) He wants his shoes tied.
7. What does Rayber define as the great dignity of man?
(a) Seeing the light.
(b) Resisting the pressure.
(c) Being born once.
(d) Being born twice.
8. What does Tarwater eat for lunch before fishing?
(a) Barbeque buns and beer.
(c) Hot dogs and whiskey.
(d) Cheese and wine.
9. What happens when Tarwater takes Bishop on the boat?
(a) He and Bishop get lost.
(b) He baptizes and drowns him.
(c) He baptizes him.
(d) He drowns him.
10. When does Tarwater believe he can walk to Powderhead by?
(b) Half an hour.
(c) Two days.
11. What does Tarwater do at the end of the trip out into the lake?
(a) He jumps off the boat and swims away.
(b) He eats a live fish.
(c) He tries to burn the boat.
(d) He catches more fish than Rayber.
12. When Tarwater and Bishop are gone, what does Rayber realize about his relationship with Tarwater?
(a) Rayber realizes how to rehabilitate Tarwater.
(b) Rayber realizes he just wants to be rid of Tarwater.
(c) Rayber realizes he can adopt Tarwater.
(d) Rayber realizes how to make friends with Tarwater.
13. What name does Tarwater scratch off of the card Rayber fills out at the hotel?
14. What does Rayber say about Bishop during the fishing trip?
(a) "He needs all the help he can get."
(b) "That kind of child struggles."
(c) "In a hundred years I wouldn't know him."
(d) "Nothing ever happens to that kind of child."
15. After leaving the gas station, what does Tarwater hunger for in addition to food and drink?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man who picks Tarwater up say he needs in exchange for the ride?
2. What does Tarwater keep telling himself while walking?
3. When Tarwater gets dressed in the woods, what happens?
4. What does the water fountain look like at the park?
5. What does Tarwater believe happened to Mason's "fancies" and "madness"?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)