|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who speaks to Tarwater when he looks at the burned cabin?
(a) Bishop's ghost.
(b) The memory of Mason.
(d) The stranger's voice.
2. What does Rayber hear when he turns on his hearing aid the night Tarwater takes Bishop on the boat?
(a) Nothing, the hearing aid was broken.
(b) Nothing but crickets.
(c) Tarwater's laugh.
(d) Bishop's bellow.
3. What does Tarwater do with the hand Bishop tried to touch in the hotel lobby?
(a) Punches the wall with it.
(b) Puts it in his pocket.
(c) Washes it.
(d) Uses it to push Bishop.
4. What premonition does Rayber have when he fills out the card at the hotel?
(a) That Bishop needs help.
(b) That the trip is doomed.
(c) That Tarwater will be saved.
(d) That he will lose money.
5. Rayber says that Bishop did what to his pain?
(a) Started it, ended it, and started it again.
(b) Started it, limited it, and contained it.
(c) Trapped it, released it, and made it obvious to strangers.
(d) Increased it, magnified it, and hid it.
6. What does the driver of the car offer Tarwater?
(a) A cigarette.
(b) A place to stay.
(d) Ten dollars.
7. When Rayber realizes he owns Mason's land, what does he think?
(a) That he could farm it properly.
(b) That he could start a lumber company.
(c) That it could be sold to pay for college.
(d) That it could actually belong to Tarwater.
8. When Rayber was in the newspaper, what did the caption say?
(a) Overjoyed father sees son revived.
(b) Man loses son at the beach.
(c) Overjoyed father finds missing son.
(d) Man runs for mayor.
9. What does Rayber buy for Tarwater at the gas station?
(a) Fake teeth.
(b) A bottle opener.
(c) A cigarette lighter.
(d) A wood plaque.
10. What does Tarwater write on the check-in card at the hotel?
(a) Not his son.
(b) Hate the child.
(c) Not having fun.
(d) Praise the Lord.
11. Where did Rayber's wife, Bernice, go when she left him?
12. When Tarwater gets dressed in the woods, what happens?
(a) Half of his clothes are on backwards.
(b) He passes out again.
(c) He falls over.
(d) Someone is watching him.
13. What does Tarwater feel when he looks at the man in the car who picked him up?
(a) Overwhelming sadness.
(b) Safety and peace.
(c) An unpleasant sensation.
(d) A little apprehension.
14. Why does Rayber hold Bishop in his lap at the park?
(a) To tie his shoe.
(b) To get a hug.
(c) To wait for Tarwater.
(d) To keep him quiet.
15. Who tries to say, "I have more than one problem"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tarwater decide to do with the bottle opener from Rayber?
2. Why does Rayber offer Tarwater his glass of water at the hotel restaurant?
3. What does Rayber realize about Tarwater as he looks into the pool of water?
4. Who thinks to himself, "I must have infinite patience"?
5. What does Rayber say always "irks" him?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)